Code of Conduct

Default If you were to Create Your Own Signature Fragrance, what would its Notes be??

If you were to create your own signature fragrance, what would its Classification and Notes be? What occasions/seasons would it be ideal for? Would it be Shared or strictly Masculine?

For Example (I just made this combination up in my head):

Top: Calone, Orange Blossom, Champagne
    Heart: Adoxal, Leather, Bulgarian Rose, Honey
    Base: Black Musk, Cumin, Civet, Castoreum, Ambergris

I'll have to think about this and post my ideal fragrance notes later.

Anyway, have fun guys!
    Last edited by eMCizzle; 22nd May 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Default Re: If you were to Create Your Own Signature Fragrance, what would its Notes be??

I am not really sure. I don't really know what each individual note smells like so it's hard to say. But I do know from my favorite fragrances which notes are prominent them.

That being said,

Patcholli, Tabacco, and an overall boozy vibe a la Burberry London will peak my interest.

Dependent

Default Re: If you were to Create Your Own Signature Fragrance, what would its Notes be??

Top: Wormwood, Tangerine, Bergamot, Lime, Parsley, Thyme

Heart: Kaffir Lime Leaf, Mastic, Violet Leaf, Galbanum, Lavender, Maile Vine, Coriander, Cardamom, Angelica Seed

Base: Honey, Civet, Styrax, Labdanum, Ambergris, Castoreum, Musk, Vetiver, Patchouli, Mandrake Root, Valerian Root, Fir Balsam, Virginia Cedar
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 24th May 2012 at 12:04 AM.

Top: Tobacco, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Cacao

Mid: Cypress, Incense, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Cardamom

Base: everything in Kilian - Back to Black (bergamot, saffron, nutmeg, cardamom, coriander, raspberry, chamomile, olibanum, honey, cedar, oak, tobacco, patchouli, almond, vanilla and labdanum)

blackberry, Jasmine, patchouli, vanilla

I'd need two or three signature fragrances right away: a classic citrus-chypre with lots of lemon, bergamot and cedar, then, a dandified yet somehow barbershoppy-clean male floral, with a soapy crispiness and lots of iris, and finally, a tobacco-single malt scotch, even cognac and champagne themed gourmand, also with some leather and dark chocolate undertones.

Dsir Sacr
    Top: tuberose, black pepper, cumin, white smoke
    Heart: franckincense CO2, mastic, cedar, franckincense resinoid
    Base: civet, tolu balm, storax, birch tar, swederal, sandalwood

and

Fort profane
    Top: orange blossom, nerol, bigarade, juniper berries
    Heart: violet nitrile, galbanum, fig leaf, pine needles, vetiver
    Base: oakmoss, cedar, patchouly, animalic musk, tobacco

Hinoki, tobacco and leather

I am going to make my own fragrance and it will probably suck! But here is my initial idea...

Top: Blood orange, pineapple, blackberry.
    Mid: Frangipani, Osmanthus
    Base: Oregon fir balsam (Douglas Fir), Aoud, civet, musk, patchouli.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I am going to make my own fragrance and it will probably suck! But here is my initial idea...

Top: Blood orange, pineapple, blackberry.
    Mid: Frangipani, Osmanthus
    Base: Oregon fir balsam (Douglas Fir), Aoud, civet, musk, patchouli.
    Great thread this.

These notes in particular are interesting choices because they include some of the most expensive naturals used in perfumery (oud and frangipani for example) and that means they are not going to be in use in anything you could buy off the shelf (at least the real, natural products are not). In my mind that makes them ideal choices for making something genuinely individual to you, which is what a signature scent should be.

Pineapple is quite a difficult note to work with, but otherwise I think this looks like a winner: good luck!
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

i would like to have encre noire plus coffee note

Top: Bergamont, Lemon

Middle: Rose, Jasmine

Base: Cinnamon ,Patchouli, Mosses, Cistus, Vetiver, Vanilla, Leather, Musk

WOW! That sure looks like the note pyramid to "M"
    Last edited by thebeck; 29th May 2012 at 01:02 PM.

TOP:
    Frangipani, Orange Blossom, Tuberose, Jasmine, Lily of The Valley, Gardenia, Stephanotis

HEART:
    Saffron, Agarwood, Frankincense, Myrrhe, Sandalwood

BASE:
    Birch, styrax, Oakmoss

DEEP BASE:
    Vetiver

this is my absurd signature scent I want 7 white flowers note for the opening (carnal flower opening with additional notes, hehe), then the scent develops to spice-woody-incense smell. Then the notes transform into a beautiful leathery smell with a hint of oakmoss. Finally, the vetiver note will end the journey
    Last edited by teerose; 29th May 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Top: Pineapple, Lavender, Chocolate
    Heart: Coffee, Apple, Chocolate
    Base: Coffee, Vanilla

Gettin my gourmand up in this
    Last edited by socalwoman; 29th May 2012 at 11:29 AM.

A dirty animalic chypre of some sort.

OR

A dirty animalic lavender of some sort.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

Creed's watery Spice and Wood with strong Pumpkin Spice in the middle notes.

If I could create my own perfume that would suit my personal tastes then it would be a fragrance with a lot of powdery iris, with amber, hint of lavender and vanilla and some bitter notes of orange or grapefruit peel.

Top : Heliotrope,Lavender,Juniper Berries,Rose
    Heart :Cinnamon,Musk,Sandalwood
    Base : Patchouli,Amber,Vanilla,Incense

I shall call it "Dravidia" - Sweet opening, dirty middle,dirtier dry down.
    Last edited by benzganesh; 30th May 2012 at 12:58 AM.

Something like:

Top: Verbena, Lemon, Bergamot, Mint, Anise
    Mid: Basil, Ginger, Incense
    Base: Vetiver, Cedar, Moss, Amber

Lemon, Maile, Rose, Cedar & Musk

Quote Originally Posted by ausamamira View Post
    i would like to have encre noire plus coffee note
    Hmmmm that does sound interesting when I think about it...

- - - Updated - - -

For mine
    Top would be honeysuckle with a bitter dry vetiver to keep it smelling masculine
    Heart would be Honey, Rosewood, dried fruits and a light incense
    base would be some kind of tobacco

I had a somewhat similar idea to PWJ:

Top: Ivy, Bergamot, Verbena, Pepper, Mint
    Mid: Rosemary, Camphor, Vetiver, Nutmeg, Ginger
    Base: Sandalwood, Incense, Cedar, Musk

I imagine it opens quite sharp and fresh with a kind of Paul Smith Story Ivy top that transitions into a lively spiced vetiver/incense (with a slight piney aspect) over a deep dryish sandalwood/cedar base. Lots of similarities to my beloved LV Uomo but with a bit more "natural" ivy/mint/green top and mid with a stronger sandalwood underpinning.
    Ok now... just mix up some PS Story, Menthe Fraiche, LV Uomo, Un Jardin en Mediterranee, Piper Nigrum, Hinoki and some Tam Dao. There you have it

Great thread idea indeed!!
    Last edited by midniteoil; 25th July 2012 at 10:54 PM.

It would contain: Pepper, some green notes, carnation, coriander, ginger, artemisia, bergamot. Some good woods like cedar. Vetiver and oakmoss. If oakmoss is not allowed any more, then some other moss. Base could have patchouli, amber, musk at least.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I did it already. The composition looks really simple, but it was quite difficult to work with this fragrance.
    Incredible sillage for a natural fragrance, staying power too. I give no details about notes, proportions etc, just this:

Litsea Cubea
    Clary Sage
    Patchouli
    Frankincense
    Sandalwood
    Vanilla
    Musk

I made many much more complicated fragrances for myself, but this one is my favourite.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I was talking to a friend of mine the other night and he gave me a list of ingredients he would like to see in a perfume so I thought I would share. Any thoughts you have on the ingredients and experience of creating any of these smells would be greatly appreciated.

Red Pepper
    Wild cherry
    Basil
    Lemon grass
    Rosemary

I would really like to tackle this one for him.

Edit: oops! just realised this would be better off in DIY if anyone knows how to move it please do, thanks, Gary
    Last edited by garyjagger; 24th February 2014 at 11:02 AM.

Mine would be something like
    Bergamot, Fennel, Wormwood, Lavender
    Jasmine, Rose, Civet, Anise
    Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Cedar

And I would definitely try Monkeybars' scent.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

For Me Like This:

Top Notes:
    Bergamot, Lemon, Nutmeg, Clove, Pepper Berries, Juniper Berries, Thyme, Lavender, Mint. Heart notes: Rose, Jasmine, Muguet.
    Base notes: Vetiver, Pine Needle, Benzoin, Frankincense, Patchouli.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Mine would be:

T-Tangerine, Amber Maple Syrup, Lavender, buffalo grass accord
    Mid-Cloves, Armangnac, Almonds, Rum, coffee
    Base-civet, cedar,resins and patchouli

Bergamot -- Juniper
    Star Anise -- Black Pepper -- Rose
    Plum - Frankincense - Cedarwood

I would call it 'Liberator' and ideally have Annick Menardo create it

Basenotes Member

Don't know much about notes but something like a blend of Kenzo Pour Homme and JPG Le Male would suit me nicely.

Not sure it would be wearable but here is my pick.

Top: Frankincense, Civet. Pineapple-mint, Cardamon, Pepper,
    Middle: Frankincense, Jasmine, Leather, Musk, Lily of the Valley, Myrrh, Cumin, Rose, Sandalwood, Burning Oud, Resins, Allspice
    Base: Frankincense, Civet, Patchouli, Castoreum, Musk, Cumin, Rose, Sandalwood, Burning Oud, Leather, Resins,
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Not sure it would be wearable but here is my pick.

Top: Frankincense, Civet. Pineapple-mint, Cardamon, Pepper,
    Middle: Frankincense, Jasmine, Leather, Musk, Lily of the Valley, Myrrh, Cumin, Rose, Sandalwood, Burning Oud, Resins, Allspice
    Base: Frankincense, Civet, Patchouli, Castoreum, Musk, Cumin, Rose, Sandalwood, Burning Oud, Leather, Resins,
    Is this the William Burroughs 'cut up' technique?

Such a fun thread.. Funny thing is that with so many ingredients the number of possible combinations is higher than the number combinations in your weekly lottery. They may not be all good combos, but nonetheless.

Here is my own masterpiece. Simply called... Jimmy P Pour Homme

Top: Bergamot, heliotrope and lavender
    Mid: Fir, nutmeg, Brazilian rosewood, sandalwood
    Base: Oakmoss, cedarwood, Amber, Musk.

Who knows, maybe here is where the masterpieces of tomorrow are coming into existence

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    Dsir Sacr
    Top: tuberose, black pepper, cumin, white smoke
    Heart: franckincense CO2, mastic, cedar, franckincense resinoid
    Base: civet, tolu balm, storax, birch tar, swederal, sandalwood
    Wow, I'm in line for that one. I'm sure it would be magnificent! Here is mine...

At

Aldehydes, Neroli, Violet Leaf, Safron,
    Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Carnation, Cloves
    Myrrh, Castoreum, Frankincense, Gaiac Wood

Galbanum, Wormwood, Olibanum
    Tobacco, Castoreum, Leather, Cistus, Cedar
    Olibanum, Vanilla, Amber, Sandalwood, Oud