Code of Conduct

Default Dior Fahrenheit - Flowers?

Does anyone get the feeling that this is almost unisex in the opening? I get a rush of floral madness. Obviously, it later calms down which is why I still wear it. But definitely no gasoline nonsense going on for me...Thoughts?

Default Re: Dior Fahrenheit - Flowers?

What year is your bottle from? It may be due to the reformulations with the recent ones being less gasoline domimant.

I am pretty sure its 2011, Maybe late-2010. Thoughts?

I think I might actually like a little more gasoline edge to it. I think the sample I tried out was more gas heavy than the bottle I have currently

Once the gasoline vibe starts to cool out a little, couple minutes after spraying Fahrenheit to me resembles a very masculine, yet fresh floral fragrance (it's got quite a few flower notes and I think those I notice the most)

The newest formulation of Dior Fahrenheit is very floral, yes.
    Violet/violet leaf.
    Very green, very fresh, and very floral.

Quote Originally Posted by mike59271 View Post
    Does anyone get the feeling that this is almost unisex in the opening? I get a rush of floral madness. Obviously, it later calms down which is why I still wear it. But definitely no gasoline nonsense going on for me...Thoughts?
    I own the 200 ml reformulated bootle, but I definitely feel there is the gasoline vibe going in it along with the violet leaf vibe.....

Fahrenheit Unisex - NO ! IMHO of course.......YMMV
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Does anyone get the feeling that this is almost unisex in the opening?
    Pretty masculine to me.

Does anyone get the feeling that this is almost unisex in the opening?
    A woman recently told me it smelled unisex. I can see where she is coming from. It is rather flamboyant. You might want to try the other versions if that bothers you. The absolute version is more earthy/gritty.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 22nd May 2012 at 11:42 PM.

Dependent

Yes the opening is rather sheer and floral sweet, before the resinous "darker" accords come to the fore in the heart. I never really got the whole "macho" association of Fahrenheit. Maybe that's because I wear Yatagan and Ungaro I.

I really don't smell flowers in my Fahrenheit. But with the power of suggestion, I may actually smell a floral aspect to it. I know it is supposed to have notes of honeysuckle, violet leaf, hawthorn, benzoin and woods. Fahrenheit was supposedly created as a "take off" or modernization of the formula used in Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel, and Grey Flannel was inspired by and intended to be a masculine update of the the Guerlain artwork in Apres L' Ondee (speculation w/o documentation). With this kind of inspirational background its not surprising to smell floral in Fahrenheit. But the end result isn't really floral in nature is it?

someone stuffed Honeysuckle in the gastank while wearing a leather jacket...love it!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I really don't smell flowers in my Fahrenheit. But with the power of suggestion, I may actually smell a floral aspect to it. I know it is supposed to have notes of honeysuckle, violet leaf, hawthorn, benzoin and woods. Fahrenheit was supposedly created as a "take off" or modernization of the formula used in Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel, and Grey Flannel was inspired by and intended to be a masculine update of the the Guerlain artwork in Apres L' Ondee (speculation w/o documentation). With this kind of inspirational background its not surprising to smell floral in Fahrenheit. But the end result isn't really floral in nature is it?
    The vintage late 90s (2nd formulation) contains a very clear jasmine sambac accord in the heart that totally "makes" the fragrance for me -- I don't really enjoy the new juice.

Nonflorally speaking, I also get a distinct pepper impression. Recently I read that Fahrenheit is 25% Iso E which would explain that.

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    someone stuffed Honeysuckle in the gastank while wearing a leather jacket...love it!
    LOVE this description!

After you get used to Fahrenheit, you probably won't notice the gasoline smell anymore. I notice it less and less with each wearing. I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing though. I really enjoy Fahrenheit.

Banned

There was some kind of floral beside the violet leaf, but it was secondary to the grungy, petro opening.
    Oh, the bane of reformulations!

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    After you get used to Fahrenheit, you probably won't notice the gasoline smell anymore. I notice it less and less with each wearing. I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing though. I really enjoy Fahrenheit.
    I am new to Fahrenheit. Ignored it all these years because of how popular it is and only now and I starting to test/appreciate some of the designer classics. I have current formulation and I definitely smell the gasoline smell on this one. Will be interesting to see if this goes away on me.

Interestingly, when I first purchased Creed Silver Mountain Water I thought it had a petrol like smell in it. Haven't heard others comment on that.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    There was some kind of floral beside the violet leaf, but it was secondary to the grungy, petro opening.
    Oh, the bane of reformulations!
    I actually can't wear anything other than the Vintage stuff. Well I CAN, but something seems "missing"....

Yes, but middle and base are quite masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I am new to Fahrenheit. Ignored it all these years because of how popular it is and only now and I starting to test/appreciate some of the designer classics.
    EXACTLY what I did. Boy was I wrong about that. I'm surprised by how much I enjoy Fahrenheit. I have a feeling I'd probably prefer the current formulation over previous ones, only because I adore violet (or so I have recently learned thanks to Gucci Pour Homme II). Fahrenheit really does somethin' somethin' for me. I'll be curious to see if it turns out to be a good scent for going on a date.

Funny you mentioned that as I just recently bought GPHII based on all the positive reviews. It's a like but not love fragrance for me, and will work really well in the work setting as it's not too loud.

I just assumed that Fahrenheit was all macho masculine 80s powerhouse stuff, when in fact it's a very nuanced floral scent with just enough gasoline to make it "safe for a man" lol.

I also love Dior Homme because it's got the iris lipstick which may be feminine floral whatever but it's also got more to it that makes it unisex / masculine to me. On the other hand the other day I sniffed Prada infusion d'iris and that was all feminine IMO.

Seems the best fragrances for me are a mix of the traditionally thought of as masculine + feminine ingredients.