Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Dior La Privee OUD ISPAHAN

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaire View Post
    Beginner eh? There's some kind of Rose/Oud perfume progression? Where does it lead?
    Of course there is. Not in a snobbish way - but you could dive in at the deep end with something like Ajmal Mukhallat Dahn Al Oud Moattaq which is pretty much so pungent and sour it is unbearable at first - or you can go for something clean and easily pleasant. What one do you think is going to be the most appealing when you have a lack of exposure to fragrance? The one by the house of Dior of course!
    It leads to greater understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Of course there is. Not in a snobbish way - but you could dive in at the deep end with something like Ajmal Mukhallat Dahn Al Oud Moattaq which is pretty much so pungent and sour it is unbearable at first - or you can go for something clean and easily pleasant. What one do you think is going to be the most appealing when you have a lack of exposure to fragrance? The one by the house of Dior of course!
    It leads to greater understanding.

OK, but there's always the possibility that someone may like and appreciate (perhaps even own and use) something like Mukhallat Dahn Al Oud Moattaq but also enjoy and appreciate Oud Ispahan. I like Arabian perfumery, I like Oud, I like Rose, however I don't always want the intensity of a Mukhallat and I don't always want to smell of that style of Oud perfumery. I also enjoy classic French perfumery and Oud Ispahan takes inspiration from middle eastern perfume styles and ingredients and uses them in a way which is consistent with classic French perfume culture with attention to the highest standards or ingredients. Oud Ispahan is also incredibly evocative, it conjures images of a place even of a time and it does so without falling into cliché or orientalism.

I actually don't even see something like Mukhallat Dahn Al Oud Moattaq and Oud Ispahan as being comparable (not least because of Oud Ispahan's explicitly Iranian influenced character as opposed to the Ajmal's Arabian flavour). They both contain Oud and floral notes but that doesn't mean they are analogous or interchangeable. They serve completely different purposes and explore their materials in contrasting ways which make them appropriate for different kinds of occasion or mood, they probably even appeal to different kinds of taste. Whether or not one is familiar with Arabic Oud perfumes is beside the point really. There isn't some kind of perfume hierarchy, this isn't top trumps where I wear Oud Ispahan and you wear Dahn Al Oudh Rabia Al Omr and you win by virtue of having proved your advanced Arabic Oud credentials.

Edit: Just reading through this again and it might come off a little snippier than I intended it, but conveying tone in text is so damned hard
    Last edited by Hilaire; 10th July 2012 at 01:32 PM.

I got in on a split of this stuff. To say that it is the most powerful fragrance I've ever worn would be an understatement...but true. I've never worn something that was too strong for me until I wore a spray of this on the front of my neck. For a couple hours it's all I could smell. It was burning my nose and melting my brains. I think this is a 1 spray on the back of the neck kind of fragrance. It smells great. Smells like Montale Black Aoud but not as dark and dramatic.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    To say that it is the most powerful fragrance I've ever worn would be an understatement...
    No doubt, this stuff has longevity in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I got in on a split of this stuff. To say that it is the most powerful fragrance I've ever worn would be an understatement...but true. I've never worn something that was too strong for me until I wore a spray of this on the front of my neck. For a couple hours it's all I could smell. It was burning my nose and melting my brains. I think this is a 1 spray on the back of the neck kind of fragrance. It smells great. Smells like Montale Black Aoud but not as dark and dramatic.

For sure it does last and last and last ridiculously long.
    But I dont find it really strong, contrariwise its very restrained on me. Im wearing 4 sprays right now.
    Hers father, Leather Oud, is way much stronger (but dont last as long)

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaire View Post
    OK, but there's always the possibility that someone may like and appreciate (perhaps even own and use) something like Mukhallat Dahn Al Oud Moattaq but also enjoy and appreciate Oud Ispahan. I like Arabian perfumery, I like Oud, I like Rose, however I don't always want the intensity of a Mukhallat and I don't always want to smell of that style of Oud perfumery. I also enjoy classic French perfumery and Oud Ispahan takes inspiration from middle eastern perfume styles and ingredients and uses them in a way which is consistent with classic French perfume culture with attention to the highest standards or ingredients. Oud Ispahan is also incredibly evocative, it conjures images of a place even of a time and it does so without falling into cliché or orientalism.

I actually don't even see something like Mukhallat Dahn Al Oud Moattaq and Oud Ispahan as being comparable (not least because of Oud Ispahan's explicitly Iranian influenced character as opposed to the Ajmal's Arabian flavour). They both contain Oud and floral notes but that doesn't mean they are analogous or interchangeable. They serve completely different purposes and explore their materials in contrasting ways which make them appropriate for different kinds of occasion or mood, they probably even appeal to different kinds of taste. Whether or not one is familiar with Arabic Oud perfumes is beside the point really. There isn't some kind of perfume hierarchy, this isn't top trumps where I wear Oud Ispahan and you wear Dahn Al Oudh Rabia Al Omr and you win by virtue of having proved your advanced Arabic Oud credentials.

Edit: Just reading through this again and it might come off a little snippier than I intended it, but conveying tone in text is so damned hard
    Both Hilaire's and forfreddie's points are valid. It does depend on the user's inclinations. Some perfume-lovers do progress towards true Arabian-style perfumes (mukhallats and all) while others stay on the Western/French side of things. So, it may be that Oud Ispahan bridges French perfumery and Arabian perfumery, so for some it does serve as a gateway to more oud-intense and authentic Arabian perfumes.

I myself am not so enamoured of oud. I find Oud Ispahan really beautiful though. Yes, many reviewers have found Oud Ispahan to be rather unoriginal, but very well-made and well-balanced. I can appreciate that, and it is good enough for me at the moment. I am disinclined to delve into the more complex ouds since I still have many other things to explore and my personal preferences are elsewhere.

Oud Ispahan is really strong and tenacious, and I am afraid to wear it sometimes. The first time I wore it, I applied 2 sprays from my decant on my chest, put on a shirt, showered after 8 hours, and another six hours later my friend could smell it (I wore the same shirt and did not apply any more scent). That's amazing!

- - - Updated - - -
    ---
    Last edited by Maque; 10th July 2012 at 02:33 PM.

If anyone would like a 7.5mL sample of Oud Ispahan, I have one I'm willing to let go of...

id like to try it