Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dior La Privee OUD ISPAHAN

It seems Dior just released a new our in their collection..anyone tried this..sounds awesome

Default Re: Dior La Privee OUD ISPAHAN

Looking forward to adding this to my collection.

I called the Dior Boutique at The Palazzo in Vegas and they didn't even know about this one. The SA is going to ask and give me a call when she finds some info about it.

Quote Originally Posted by b3t0_1972 View Post
    I called the Dior Boutique at The Palazzo in Vegas and they didn't even know about this one. The SA is going to ask and give me a call when she finds some info about it.
    Good to know.

Oud Ispahan. I am assuming they are referring to the Ispahan rose.

Rose and oud. How typical. I bet I'll buy it though. I never tire of this combination. Add saffron to it and it'll be an Arabic perfume lol.

for swap/sale:

As I mentioned elsewhere, I find Guerlain and Dior going for oud somewhat depressing - they've given up on French frags, essentially. That said, I hope it'll be good, if redundant.

The name clearly suggests an oud-rose combo (yawn). If they only looked to Paris instead. There's a heavenly pastry confection at Herme called Ispahan, a macaron (ie light almond) with rose jam and litchees. This pastry is clearly a more imaginative use of the Ispahan name, but it is now impossible in perfumery after the restriction on heliotropin...

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As I mentioned elsewhere, I find Guerlain and Dior going for oud somewhat depressing - they've given up on French frags, essentially. That said, I hope it'll be good, if redundant.

The name clearly suggests an oud-rose combo (yawn). If they only looked to Paris instead. There's a heavenly pastry confection at Herme called Ispahan, a macaron (ie light almond) with rose jam and litchees. This pastry is clearly a more imaginative use of the Ispahan name, but it is now impossible in perfumery after the restriction on heliotropin...

cacio
    For the market segment that wants bold and innovating oud-blends, this appears to be mundane and lethargic. Agreed.
    But for the segment of market that enjoys the age-proven blend of oud-rose-saffron, this is "yet another potential buy".

Lets be hopeful that it won't be as comatose-inducing as Amber Oud from by Kilian.

for swap/sale:

Ooh, time for a trip to Selfridges!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Dior has a way with their blends. Oud Ispahan may be a (now-common) rose-oud blend, but i am certain that Dior will give theirs a twist that will raise it above the fray.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I hope this one works better for me than Leather Oud did, which so many people love - but on me it's not until the dry-down when I detect the sharp, unpleasant smell of chemicals - a heavily synthetic brew, just like Ambre Nuit. Ambre Nuit was also disappointing, though I've come to find myself disappointed with most ambers on the market.

I think it's ambroxan and ISO-E Super that leave the chemical trail into the dry-down, and whatever Amouage used in Epic Man for that nauseating, incredibly potent/long-lasting headache-inducing base. Yuck.

Im waiting to hear back from the SA in Las Vegas that i use about release date.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

28th of May I hear ,

" Termed as a unisex fragrance, Oud Ispahan is bold enough to overpower from the first glimpse, with a heavy dose of exotic woody and incense steeped Oud and a tinge of sticky Labdanum Absolute. But, she quickly releases the magical potent drug delicieux, of Damascus Rose, that softens in an instant weaving her feminine wiles. The Oud fist in the velvet rose glove, indeed."

So interested in trying this when it becomes available, anyone know when? It is not on the Dior site yet.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I got my bottle last week , I believe its officially out this coming week ? Im really the last person who should reveiw a fragrance as Im not as educated or as articulate as many members and I have no list of notes but .... Its huge , it has the strength and tenacity of a Montale but its smoother , less jaggedy , fantastically blended ... well to me anyway .

Up top theres something very sweet , possibly fruity to my nose . Its also very woody think Rose 31 , the Oud is very evident from the start and is all the way through . Really think , Rose 31 meets Rose Oud from By Kilian with a feint whiff of Portrait Of A Lady , maybe a little incense in there too ?

As I said it is incredibly potent , I applied on Thursday and could still smell it on myself Friday after showering etc

It is fantastic , if you love the whole rose oudy thing

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    So interested in trying this when it becomes available, anyone know when? It is not on the Dior site yet.
    It will be available within the next 2 weeks at the Dior Boutique in Las Vegas.

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    For the market segment that wants bold and innovating oud-blends, this appears to be mundane and lethargic. Agreed.
    But for the segment of market that enjoys the age-proven blend of oud-rose-saffron, this is "yet another potential buy".

Lets be hopeful that it won't be as comatose-inducing as Amber Oud from by Kilian.
    I'm glad I'm nto the only one who had that reaction to Amber Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    It will be available within the next 2 weeks at the Dior Boutique in Las Vegas.
    Yup. Massiel put me on the list to call me about shipping it once it arrives.

Its available in the UK now as I managed to catch a sniff yesterday, The press guff seems to want to place it in the Fem category but its very much unisex.

I've not been very enamoured by the Privee line but this one really stands out above the others and is worth owning, I'll do a break down soon when I've had the chance to return and try it again.

Would you split it for us Kron?

Add saffron to it and it'll be an Arabic perfume lol.

yaaaawwwwwnnnnnn

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I love rose but I'm not a huge fan of oud, but the fact that this isn't a an animalstic oud makes me want to try it. Hopefully it's another good addition to the Dior private line.

the combo seems interesting

Banned

I'm hoping this scent holds something special inasmuch as it appears to lack originality from the get-go.

So what seems interesting to the experts these days if not this? Is oud and rose the new aquatic/sport? To be dismissed before being tested?

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    So what seems interesting to the experts these days if not this? Is oud and rose the new aquatic/sport? To be dismissed before being tested?
    Problem here seems to be that a lot of niche brands are pumping out rose-oud combinations right now. I can think of at least five or six off the top of my head. While they're high quality, and I'm a big fan of the idea, there's only so much you can do with that combo before it just starts being redundant.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

I liked it but it turned into the drydown of Leather Oud on me about 1.5 hours in. The rose completely vanished and I found it quite animalic and salty-skanky. I much prefer it to Montale because I can't deal with that musk in Black Aoud, but I definitely think I'm covered with my samples of Leather Oud and so can forget about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I liked it but it turned into the drydown of Leather Oud on me about 1.5 hours in. The rose completely vanished and I found it quite animalic and salty-skanky. I much prefer it to Montale because I can't deal with that musk in Black Aoud, but I definitely think I'm covered with my samples of Leather Oud and so can forget about this one.
    Sounds even better now. thank you.

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Is it really synthetic smelling like Leather Oud?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Objection! Leading the witness.

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I don't find Leather Oud to be "synthetic" smelling. But then I'm not even sure I know what that means, as pretty much every perfume has some natural and some synthetic ingredients.

Having said that, I mentioned the musk in Black Aoud above. While I really like some musks, that one smells to me like a lab experiment gone wrong. Maybe you have a similar problem with something in Leather Oud?

And finally, don't believe me. I'm still not sophisticated enough to smell or describe things as well as many people here. All I know is that after an hour or two of wearing Oud Ispahan, I thought I smelled like I was wearing Leather Oud. You'll probably smell it and go "K, you don't know what you're talking about." I'd love to hear other impressions!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I don't find Leather Oud to be "synthetic" smelling. But then I'm not even sure I know what that means, as pretty much every perfume has some natural and some synthetic ingredients.

Having said that, I mentioned the musk in Black Aoud above. While I really like some musks, that one smells to me like a lab experiment gone wrong. Maybe you have a similar problem with something in Leather Oud?

And finally, don't believe me. I'm still not sophisticated enough to smell or describe things as well as many people here. All I know is that after an hour or two of wearing Oud Ispahan, I thought I smelled like I was wearing Leather Oud. You'll probably smell it and go "K, you don't know what you're talking about." I'd love to hear other impressions!
    It's synthetic in the sense that it's been produced using a synthetic aroma chemical Oud and not the real deal. I can easily differentiate the difference in this case, plus I recently purchased a variety of aroma chemicals, with an Oud blend being one of them. It's a dead ringer for the scent in Leather Oud.

Wow, was interested to come read up, but I am thinking that my Bond NY Oud has the rose-oud and fruit covered and it is tenacious. I wanted to like Leather Oud but it was a scrubber on me.

This brings new meaning to the word tenacious , trust me , its frickin huge LOL !!!!!!

FYI, still not arrived at Dior in the Palazzo. They said either next week or the week after.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Banned

I can't wait to try this one.

This is very similar to Leather Oud but without the leather and civet. Some, very little rose.

for swap/sale:

Tried Oud Ispahan today at Dior. First I went to Guerlain and tried on Voyou, London, L'Ame d'un Héros and one other that was forgettable. Almost bought the SDV, but decided that it can wait. Moved onto Dior. Smelled the Oud Ispahan on a card and then decided to try it on. My first impression was that it's not bad but I immediately thought to myself I'll need to revisit it 'cause sampling the Guerlains got me a little fatigued. I left the Palazzo empty handed and a actually a little proud for not impulse buying. I went about about my business from there, running errands and so forth, when I started to notice what smelled like Black Afgano. It was the dry down of the Oud Ispahan. Of all the frags I had on, Oud Ispahan was just crushing the others in terms of strength and projection. When I got home, I smelled my bottle of BA and sure enough, to me the dry down of Oud Ispahan and Black Afgano have some similarities. Anyway, I had some dinner and made plans to go out. Jumped in the shower and afterwards applied some Nasomatto Absinth. Went out. Now, 6 or 7 hours later, after a shower and application of Absinth, I can still smell the Oud Ispahan. And it's still reminding me of Black Afgano.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Tried Oud Ispahan today at Dior. I went about about my business from there, running errands and so forth, when I started to notice what smelled like Black Afgano.
    Ugh t Oh! And to think I thought I might like this one... I sincerely hope this is not the case...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Ugh t Oh! And to think I thought I might like this one... I sincerely hope this is not the case...
    It is indeed the case with me. But I wouldn't sweat it too much as it seems a lot of these "X smells like Y" theories rarely get seconded or are perceived the same way from person to person. I don't think anyone else who's smelled both Oud Ispahan and Black Afgano is yet to mention a similarity and it seems entirely possible to me that nobody will. One things for certain though, they're both persistent frags. I sprayed on Oud Ispahan 10+ hours ago, since then showered, applied another frag, went out and can still smell it and not just faintly.

Another boring rose/oud combo with absolutely no twists. Disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    I can still smell the Oud Ispahan. And it's still reminding me of Black Afgano.
    Dear god I hope this isn't true for me. I loathe Black Afgano, and went in blind on a OI split, so it should be an interesting sniff for me next week when it arrives!

Black afghans .... Oud ispahan.....I don't get th resemblance to be frank.

for swap/sale:

Black afghans .... Oud ispahan.....I don't get th resemblance to be frank.
    Neither do I. To me it was a mash up between Portrait Of A Lady and any of the rose-oud centered fragrances by Montale.

I got the Portrait of a Lady rose note as well, Can't say I found it resembled Black Afgano in any way.

Not so fast my friends! If you don't smell the similarity, then you don't and that's the end of that, but I'm'a try and back up what I'm saying for the sake of conversation. Don't do the comparison from memory, spray them both on cards or something; memories aren't the most accurate things. Now, there's no note breakdown for BA, but there is one for OI and I think they've both got oud, wood (likely sandal wood in BA certainly sandal wood in OI) and patchouli, and OI has labdanum for sure. I'm not positive BA has labdanum as its one of those scents that's kind of hard for me to pick out specifically but here's a nice description written by Sculpture of Soul (he's not talking about BA, but labdanum specifically) that makes me think it does: "warm, kind of leathery scent with hints of pepper, tar, coffee, light tobacco, etc, while not really smelling just like any one of them." That description leads me to believe BA has got labdanum, if not it has several of the things that comprise the smell of labdanum, leaving Rose to be the only note that OI has that BA likely doesn't.

For what it's worth approximately 22 hours later, after a shower, reapplication of another frag, going out, reapplication of another frag and sleep, I can still smell the one spray of Oud Ispahan on my arm! This stuff has got longevity in spades if nothing else.
    Last edited by Shiny Beast; 17th June 2012 at 03:10 AM.

My bottle of Oud Ispahan 125ml will be arriving next Thursday from Dior in Las Vegas.

If you enjoy Leather Oud, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy Oud Ispahan. I love them both myself. Is Oud Ispahan offering us something new? Not really, but somehow François Démachy really knows how to work with synthetic oud.

What I like is the bargain pricing, and tenacity of these two ouds from Dior. All day lasting power. Simply a pleasure to wear them.

Have finally worn this and I really like it. Reminds me of the some of the Montales but a bit more subtle. Longevity was excellent on me. Glad I added it to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have finally worn this and I really like it. Reminds me of the some of the Montales but a bit more subtle. Longevity was excellent on me. Glad I added it to my collection.
    Agree, seems like a light Montale. Drydown is very similar to Black Afgano with added rose to me.

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

I just got my portion of the split this weekend, and after being a bit ambivalent towards it (and submitting a somewhat hasty neutral review to the directory here, something I will have to change if/when it posts) I have really started to like this one after a few wearings. Great balance and longevity, just a pleasure to wear. Definitely glad I bought this.

Sound Scents

I got my split last week as well and didn't like it, unfortunately. It did have a bit of Portrait of a Lady's rose at the open, but nowhere near its distinctiveness, depth or quality, then its faux oud emerged similar to something from Montale like Black Aoud, but again, not as good... finally the dry-down appeared... and while not the same as Black Afgano, it did make me think of that one (not a good thing at all). On the whole it is trying to be too many things and mildly failing at all of them, IMO.

Sorry, no disrespect intended to all the folks that loved it, but it just wasn't for me.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I just received my partial and im qiute liking.
    It can be called Leather Oud Fraiche, as it shares some similarities but easier on the animalics and burnt woods (or burnt oud) side.
    The longevity and sillage still very good as its father, but this daughter is way more civilized.

Got my split bottle yesterday and still testing it. Thanks to heperd!!

It's just a dark rose added Leather Oud without honey and leather. They have the same base. I really like the way Francois Demachy's use of oud.

Also i'm tesing it side by side with Montale Attar and i can say they're really similar. Oud Ispahan is just more refined and classy imho.

Ohh montale, how i miss you. Back again soon, safe and healthy.

Oud Ispahan is very nice, starts slightly feminine red syrupy rose and them morphs onto a very masculine burnt ood in the drydown.
    Also it lasts almost 24 hours, more than hers father Leather Oud (but her father is agressive, she is soft and warm and almost yumy)

Wow, the longevity on this is astounding. Put 3 sprays on my shirt a few weeks ago, and the other day after doing a load of laundry I noticed something in my bedroom smelled great. Turns out the scent had endured through a washing and several weeks of time, and was still easily detectable from a few few away from my shirt.

Got my split not long ago, fell in love with it, it's all Persian Rose water and thick red rose jam followed by rose flavoured tobacco and rich smokey oud and incense. And CHRIST does it last and last and last and last, use sparingly if you don't want to smell of it for a few days

Im glad I purchased a sample to test it. This is a chemical bomb. A nasty stench that stays on your skin. Im glad I tried it. Unfortunately, its a scrubber for me.

Rex
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

I tried this briefly the other day in London - everything has already been said about it I know. But it was much cleaner than I thought it would be. I liked the soapiness of the rose and how crisp and clear the composition was - it is a neat, beginner rose/oud combination that is extremely wearable, but not something I'd spend the money on.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried this briefly the other day in London - everything has already been said about it I know. But it was much cleaner than I thought it would be. I liked the soapiness of the rose and how crisp and clear the composition was - it is a neat, beginner rose/oud combination that is extremely wearable, but not something I'd spend the money on.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Beginner eh? There's some kind of Rose/Oud perfume progression? Where does it lead?