Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which of your favorite fragrances have gotten the worst insults on Basenotes?

I'm always amazed at the range of opinion expressed on Basenotes. The most beloved and praised fragrances also seem to get the most scathing insults. Which of your favorites has been dissed the worst? "Eau de Men's Room" Kouros? "Bug Spray" Guerlain Vetiver? "Old Man's Back Seat" Bois de Portugal? "Grandma's Dressing Table " Habit Rouge? Then there is that all-purpose, ubiquitous, and enigmatic "French Whore" smell, so widely applied, though actually rather rarely hurled on Basenotes.

Personally, i don't have strong reactions to the scents I don't care for. They usually just strike me as nonentities of one sort or another. Aventus and Acqua di Gio fall into this class. To me, they don't smell bad they just smell more or less like nothing. It is still a bit shocking, though, to realize people actually detest fragrances that I really love.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 23rd May 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Default Re: Which of your favorite fragrances have gotten the worst insults on Basenotes?

Dunhill Fresh - I don't get it. I live in the Midwest US and it gets compliments by men and women on a daily basis in the Spring - when I wear it on almost a daily basis. Someone here said it smells like 'new shoes'...which I really can't argue with. It's different, but I like it - and apparently so do my co-workers, clients and especially the wife. To each his/her own I guess...

Default Re: Which of your favorite fragrances have gotten the worst insults on Basenotes?

L'Eau D'Issey, which someone deemed "toxic waste."

And I've actually been guilty of slurring a scent I later came to really love. My first experience with Quorum was a disaster, with me declaring that it smelled like a dead body covered in moth balls and cleaning solution; it was easily the worst scent I had ever tried. However I retested it a few months later and really loved it.

Is "new shoes" an insult though?

Possibly Dali Pour Homme, but I have a vintage one and it may have been reformulated badly for all I know.

FCUK him ... I enjoy it... However...

My favorite house, pound for pound is Etat Libre d'Orange. Out of their entire line (around 30) of which I have samples, probably 20 are on my wishlist. However, I never get the sense that others share my enthusiasm, which is fine, because frags are an individual thing.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Acqua Di Gio
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Normally I'm not that guy, but there is a pretty good one going already...

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/272...you-smell-like

Banned

Joop! Homme

A female coworker commented that she smelled Comet just as I was walking past one day. I was wearing Santal 33, which I love.

Not sure if it was me she was smelling or not, but the timing says "yes."

Not many, in fact, I was surprised that here on Basenotes most of my scents are being understood in a non-judgmental manner.

Curve Soul.

Seems like Xeryus Rouge has some haters around here... and I couldn't care less.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Acqua Di Gio
    +1...

Easily Gucci Guilty pour Homme. No, it's not terribly original, it's not Envy, Nobile or pour Homme I or II, but it's very wearable and garners plenty of compliments. Sometimes we have to get over ourselves and just enjoy something simple.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

I guess Drakkar Noir, some people around here euhm don't like it quite as much. Let's keep it at that.

I do remember some guy almost got into a fight with himself over Tiffany for Men. He'd bought it blind and berated everyone here for saying good things about it then turned the rage and angst on himself - I think pouring it down the toilet might have been mentioned - before running out of steam. Not sure if he's still with his - clearly this event shattered his faith in SOMETHING.

I am stocking up on Tiffany for Men, BTW - every time I like something they (the IFRA mafia) screw it up - just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I do remember some guy almost got into a fight with himself over Tiffany for Men. He'd bought it blind and berated everyone here for saying good things about it then turned the rage and angst on himself - I think pouring it down the toilet might have been mentioned - before running out of steam. Not sure if he's still with his - clearly this event shattered his faith in SOMETHING.

I am stocking up on Tiffany for Men, BTW - every time I like something they (the IFRA mafia) screw it up - just sayin'.
    That guy must have/had some serious issues then.

Acqua di Gio, a long time ago. Got told that I smelt like burnt grass. Never bought it again, though it is a very common scent, perhaps too common.

Sound Scents

None of mine get regularly slammed, but Giorgio for Men probably takes the most heat out of those in my wardrobe. Many on here love it with a passion like I do, but those that don't, tend to *really* dislike it... Not a lot of middle ground on this one, I guess.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Mambo
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

A*men
    Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 23rd May 2012 at 10:41 AM.

Was always surprised by the many poor reviews for Floris Elite...

Bond No. 9 Brooklyn
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, 1 Million Absolutely Gold, Prada Amber pour Homme DELUXE version, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Probably not an extreme case, but one of my favourites is Polo Modern Reserve, which has had some pretty scathing insults levelled at it on here!

Kouros

Bleu de Chanel and any Creeds I suppose.

Womanity is the only one I can think of, strangely.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

1. Kouros - love it
    2. Chanel Platinum - love it
    3. Cool Water - love it
    4. Acqu Di Gio - like it, don't love it, but still a solid designer frag I wear from time to time
    5. Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme - very nice sweet take on a sport fragrance
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

I find extremely wierd that some groups, ethnics, cultures or nationalities have specific perceptions.
    For example, around here Jules, Kouros and Yatagan are usually found sweaty, urinous, unwashed, etc etc etc.
    I love them but not due to their dirty profile. For me they smell absolutely INOFENSIVE. Wonderful, fresh, complex, barbershop-y, strong, or whatever. But NEVER dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I find extremely wierd that some groups, ethnics, cultures or nationalities have specific perceptions.
    For example, around here Jules, Kouros and Yatagan are usually found sweaty, urinous, unwashed, etc etc etc.
    I love them but not due to their dirty profile. For me they smell absolutely INOFENSIVE. Wonderful, fresh, complex, barbershop-y, strong, or whatever. But NEVER dirty.
    I still try to 'educate'/train my nose to appreciate the wet wild wolfy celery campfire smell of my 125 ml flask of Yatagan....... So you find Yatagan fresh & barber shop like in scent ?!?
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

1 Million has taken one hell of a kicking, but I actually think it's OK.

Wouldn't say it's my favorite, but I think Un Jardin Apres La Mousson is better than people make it out to be

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtruck260 View Post
    Dunhill Fresh - I don't get it. I live in the Midwest US and it gets compliments by men and women on a daily basis in the Spring - when I wear it on almost a daily basis. Someone here said it smells like 'new shoes'...which I really can't argue with. It's different, but I like it - and apparently so do my co-workers, clients and especially the wife. To each his/her own I guess...
    New shoes??? Lol I don't get that from Fresh.

I get watermelon and pepper...lol go figure.

It is a very slept on fragrance imo. Fresh is a good word for it. I enjoy it as well and it has given me compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    I still try to 'educate'/train my nose to appreciate the wet wild wolfy celery campfire smell of my 125 ml flask of Yatagan....... So you find Yatagan fresh & barber shop like in scent ?!?
    I find it manly but kinda soft. I think it has a similar vibe to Z-14 but with celery and more woods...but lovely and easy to wear.

+1 Kouros, Grey Flannel

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    1 Million has taken one hell of a kicking, but I actually think it's OK.
    Maybe, but that god awful bottle really puts me off. Way too much bling.
    Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains. - Karl Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    +1...
    I suspect most people's problem with AdG is it's popularity with the public rather than the smell.
    Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains. - Karl Marx

the dreamer and bvlgari extreme...who cares???
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London
    Spring-Autumn : Bvlgari Pour Homme & Prada Man
    Summer : Bvlgari Aqva & Aqua Fahrenheit
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

Aqua Fahrenheit maybe.

Dependent

Probably Jicky: "dirty diapers, vanilla room spray, and lavender"

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Wouldn't say it's my favorite, but I think Un Jardin Apres La Mousson is better than people make it out to be
    They only say that stuff because Turin didn't like it

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I find it [Yatagan] manly but kinda soft. I think it has a similar vibe to Z-14 but with celery and more woods...but lovely and easy to wear.
    I get the connection there too! Which is not a surprise since they were created by the same perfumer, the ever-enigmatic Vince Marcello.

Probably A*Men and Dior Homme Intense (those that do hate it hate it bad it seems)

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Probably Jicky: "dirty diapers, vanilla room spray, and lavender"

They only say that stuff because Turin didn't like it

I get the connection there too! Which is not a surprise since they were created by the same perfumer, the ever-enigmatic Vince Marcello.
    Have you guys read my post about Vincent Marcello and the link between Yatagan and Z-14?

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/295...ncent-Marcello

He also made Estee Lauder Private Collection, another positively perfect fragrance that I wear quite often.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

+1 L'Eau D'Issey,
    Joop!

Chrome is a favourite of mine that is regularly trashed.

Trashers come at scents from a number of different angles -
    If it's not niche it's trash.
    If it doesn't resemble a masterful women's scent it's trash.
    If it's synthetic it's trash.
    If it's perceived as generic it's trashed.
    If the odor can be detected by other people two feet away, then it's trash and vulgar.
    And in the case of Chrome, if it keeps you smelling out-of-the shower-fresh all day long, without conking out no matter how hot it is, it doesn't matter, it's still trash.

In my case, the only scents I've ever trashed are Secretions Magnifique, because it literally made me nauseous and to a lesser extent, the old version of Quorum. There are plenty of scents I don't like much, but I know someone likes them or may like them.
    Cheers,
    Renato

For me,
    -Burberry Sport (gets no love here, but it's probably my favorite sport fragrance).
    -1 Million (my favorite winter scent, designer or niche. Just perfect)
    -Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport (lots of people complain about it being too lemony/citrusy, but I still think it's the best one in the Allure lineup, and my favorite Chanel overall).
    -Serge Luten's Rousse (yeah, it does smell like red hot cinnamon candy and holiday potpourri, but what's wrong with that? Lol!)

l'Eau d'Issey
    l'Homme YSL
    Kouros

+1 Aqua Fahrenheit.
    +1 Burberry Touch.

Venezia Uomo

My favourite review of a fragrance I enjoy
    Boss No 1
    I wanted a second shot at this one, as I don't believe I was sufficiently adamant the first time round' You might as well sprinkle yourself with warm hog piss, as you'd get the same effect. I present to you that there be a good chance that this substance was brewed in the very depths of hell. Thank You and Good Day.

A*men

Basenotes Junkie

Anything Nautica, especially Blue. A lot of people really despise tjis one but I actually enjoy it.

Bond no. 9 which I love get hammered but doesn't curb my enthusiasm
    My current obsessions for now
    Oud Wood , Noir de Noir , DHI , Mugler Cologne , Bond No.9 Bleeker St. ,
    Ramone Monegal Agar Musk & Umbra , Chanel Coromondel ,

+1 for Aqua Di Gio.

Kouros, Jicky and Muscs Koublai Khan

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I do understand the hate for Bleu de Chanel. I think it smells great.

Quote Originally Posted by jeightseven View Post
    I do understand the hate for Bleu de Chanel. I think it smells great.
    This i dont get....bleu de chanel is absolutely amazing dont know some people can hate it.....i think it fits right in with the other chanel line in quality and in uniqueness

This ties in with my recent comment on another thread...make a list of "greatest ever" and "worst ever"...
    Surprise! The two lists are mostly the same fragrances!

Or to put it another way: most of us here may think that Acqua di Gio sucks, but it didn't become a worldwide smash success because everybody hates it.

The Dreamer