Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default How To Make Extract from Raw Material: REAL White Chocolate?

...i don't have any machines,seperatory funnels,etc. & others & i don't have much money, but i have only Measuring cups & spoons, Jar, & bottles in Home only. & i'm only a Student & a DIYer... i want to make Homemade perfumes Like a REAL DESIGNER PERFUME.
    ...i buy White chocolates from the groceries, & i love the smell of it.. Well, i wish to make white chocolate perfume.
    ...do i need to soak it only in Ethyl Alcohol? or what process? How & Why?
    anybody kindly please help? Thank You Very So Much!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How To Make Extract from Raw Material: REAL White Chocolate?

Iím afraid that you canít make a tincture of chocolate that will be usable in perfume.

You need to do a lot of reading around on this forum before you start to get an idea of what is possible and how to go about it, but for the white chocolate specifically, have a look at this earlier thread.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Post Thanks / Like

i suppose you could try to make a tincture of cacao? you certainly can tincture vanilla. but then you will go in the direction of pure (dark, bitter) chocolate. for white chocolate there's a lot of cacao butter involved; and you will need a dairy note too, but that is covered in the other thread. what materials evokes that cacao butter odor? maybe the milk lactone already helps (i haven't got this one, it certainly sounds interesting.)

I've been tincturing some cocoa for well over a year now and although the smell is lovely, it is not very strong or long-lasting.... Yet! I wouldn't see how to tincture a milk product, but I'm sure there will be a way.

One thing you will find is that by attempting to take a cheaper route by tincturing things yourself. You will in fact spend so much on all the ingredients, and then you will have to wait so long before you can even play with them, that I would strongly suggest a more simple route to beginning perfumery. Some of my tinctures are ready at a year old and some are way over two... and still not ready yet.

I suggest you ask everyone you know if they have any old essential oils lying about that they will either give you or let you have a bit of. Everyone has a few. Then buy some simple and inexpensive oils. Some citrus, some florals and some woods. Then muck about with some simple blends. There are many ideas online for these and the perfumers apprentice is a good place to start.

By starting with tinctures, you may have plenty of fun as indeed I do, but it is not the cheaper route necessarily. You would be better off investing in some carrier oil or a small bottle of perfumers base alcohol and playing about. You will need buckets more perfumers alcohol for tinctures than you would for some simple blending practice, and you won't even be able to use it until the tincture is finished.

If you really want to make your own essential oils, then start with the citrus family. You get the benefit of eating the fruit, and you can press the oil from the skins with sponges and collect it. Highly cost effective and fun.

There is one golden law of perfumery and that is pure time. Both invested in learning and in the made product. It is not a pursuit for any hurry.
    Last edited by mumsy; 24th May 2012 at 06:35 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    you certainly can tincture vanilla.
    Indeed you can - in fact this is one case where I would say a tincture is easier for the beginning perfumer than working with the absolute, which is a pain to dissolve and hard to work with. Making a vanilla tincture is, by contrast easy, effective and relatively quick.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    If you really want to make your own essential oils, then start with the citrus family. You get the benefit of eating the fruit, and you can press the oil from the skins with sponges and collect it. Highly cost effective and fun.

There is one golden law of perfumery and that is pure time. Both invested in learning and in the made product. It is not a pursuit for any hurry.
    Very good advice. Iíd not thought about citrus, but I should have because I make citrus liquor and liqueur all the time. If you have difficulty pressing and collecting the oil directly from the peel with whatever equipment you have to hand you could try this cheat:

use a very sharp potato peeler to peel the zest from the fruit taking care not to get any of the white pith. pack as much of it as you can as tightly as you can into a jar and cover it with perfumers alcohol or 190 proof vodka. After about a month, the oil from the peel will all be in the alcohol and youíll have what is technically a citrus tincture but which should be able to be used in much the same way as a ~20% solution of the essential oil in ethanol.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

With any tincture, if you want to do it properly, then you need to commit quite a big quantity of alcohol to time aside. You also by doing so, limit your number of ingredients. Not cost effective at all.

For economy, just forget tinctures for the now. Get some inexpensive oils and just play. If you can't buy them, then scrounge and ask for oils for birthday presents. You will have much more fun and can get on with learning all the oils, one by one.