Code of Conduct

Default Why do people separate their frags into summer and winter categories?

I heard that you cant wear Coney Island during the winter because its a summer frag. I would think that during the cold snowy winter, smelling reminiscent to summer would be alluring.

What does a Winter frag smell like? Must it have a strong musky scent?

Please educate me on this.

Default Re: Why do people separate their frags into summer and winter categories?

There are no rules, only preferences.

Heavier frags can become overbearing in hot weather for many people, so many people choose to only wear those in cooler weather.

Conversely, the frags that are worn during summer get to take a winter vacation.

Personally, I find a heavier frag to be comforting in cool weather, particularly if it has a lot of resin and leather notes.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Splash Bottles Suck

Default Re: Why do people separate their frags into summer and winter categories?

I separate my fragrances into summer and winter, as there are some I like for the fall/winter only and some I like for the spring/summer only. As an example, I love vanilla fragrances but only usually wear them in the fall/winter, as I think of vanilla as a comfort scent. For me to wear a vanilla perfume during the summer it would have to be very sheer. The only one I have found so far that is sheer enough for summer wear is Jo Malone Vanilla Anise. As Zatarain said though there are no rules and you can wear a fragrance whatever time of year you like, if you like the way the fragrance smells in that weather. It is hard to describe in much detail what makes a summer scent and what makes a winter scent, as this is quite subjective and based on the opinion of the wearer.

Banned
    Blog Entries

LIGHT-FRESH-CLEAN- Warm Weather

Heavy-strong- Cool/Cold Weather

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    There are no rules, only preferences.
    That pretty sums up my feelings.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I sort mine like that but I hardly follow the rule. It depends on my mood really. There are no formal rules or conventions you must follow

Quote Originally Posted by Wingie View Post
    As an example, I love vanilla fragrances but only usually wear them in the fall/winter, as I think of vanilla as a comfort scent. For me to wear a vanilla perfume during the summer it would have to be very sheer.
    This makes sense. Vanilla and strong musky scents does not smell good during summer seasons because they're headache inducing. However, I cant think of an inappropriate scent for winter. Winter is open season for any scent.

That's how they see it.
    I wear anything anytime.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

there are no rules to when you should wear a certain fragrance. If you you want to wear a particular fragrance then go ahead and wear that day. the reason people do that, myself included, is because some of the fresh aquatic scents don't project well in the winter. because of the cold weather, they wont perform as they usually would. as for heavier scents, they only use it in the winter because they will project. if used in the summer time, it could be too much for people to handle. but if you wanna wear a scent go for it!

Generally, I used to be very careful to wear mostly or exclusively powerhouse, leather, gourmand, Oriental etc, scents in winter and during colder weather and citrus, aquatics, herbals, EDC, light chypres, light barbershop-style scents, fruity fragrances or the lighter flankers of the "heavier" categories during summer and warmer weather, as I first started out in this fragrances hobby.

And though I continued to do so for a significant period of time, nowadays I am not so strict about it any longer. Sure, I might still go for the more significantly lasting and projecting part of my scent wardrobe simply as reflex, as a habit, when I don't have that much time to choose a wintertime fragrance, but than again, if I want to wear an aquatic, lighter, more citrus-based etc. fragrance during winter and/or colder weather, I simply do so.

I tend to avoid cloying, heavy scents in the summer time so that I don't choke people around me. That said, I find it hard to wear a light citrus scent in the middle of winter as that would end up being a skin scent in no time.

Often, what I wear is directed by mood, but I tend to match my mood to the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I wear anything anytime.
    Same here...Any scent is great for any day / season, as far as I feel like wearing it on that particular day...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    That pretty sums up my feelings.
    +1 "hit the nail with the hammer"

but use extreme caution with trigger on heavy ones in warm climates and use a spray extra on fresh ones in cool weather .....thats...thats ...all folks..
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I do tend to use the vanillas and such more once it gets a bit nippy. I don't separate them though or stick to strict rules.

Too much vanilla makes me queasy when it's hot.

I do it because certain frags feel more appropriate during certain times of the year. Warmer, heavier scents during colder temperatures, lighter, more cooling scents when it's hot. Not only do they perform better under these conditions, but they sort of match the seasons.

But it doesn't require a conscious effort or anything. I'm just drawn to certain scents at certain times.

I do it just to entertain myself...

Niche
    Fall
    Straight To Heaven by By Kilian
    Lumiere Noire Pour Homme by MFK
    1270 by Frapin
    Les Zazous by Keiko Mecheri
    Five O’Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens

Winter
    Chergui by Serge Lutens
    New Haarlem by Bond #9
    Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford
    Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain-?
    Ambre Narguilé by Hermessence

Spring
    Tea For Two by L’Artisan Parfumeur
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    Bleecker Street by Bond #9
    Silver Mountain Water by Creed/Tonka Vetiver by Hermessence
    Millesime Imperial by Creed

Summer
    Menthe Fraiche by HEELEY
    Sel Marin by HEELEY
    Virgin Island Water by Creed
    L'humaniste by Frapin
    Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne

Designer
    Fall
    Pure Havane
    Pure Malt
    Guerlain Homme Extreme
    YSL La Nuit De L’Homme
    Dior Homme Intense

Winter
    Versace The Dreamer
    JPG Le Male
    Escada Magnetism
    Guerlain LIDGE
    Chanel Allure Homme

Spring
    YSL L’Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Marc Jacobs Man
    Terre D’Hermes
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

Summer
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    Cartier Roadster
    Bleu De Chanel
    D&G The One
    Versace Pour Homme

just for entertainment reasons....at the end of the day I wore a lot of Nautica Voyage/SpiceBomb/Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir/Diesel Fuel for life(reg/jean)/Milesime Imperial/Roadster...many are not even on my seasonal list..so it's all bs.

I haven't used New Haarlem in over a year...doubt if I get the chance to do it this winter. Pure Havane/Malt haven't tried it since last year...e

It's like drinking a shandy vs an English strong ale. The shandy is more appropriate for summer because it's lighter and refreshing, whereas the English ale is nice for winter because its darker and has a fuller body. But that shouldn't stop you from drinking either in any season when you crave it though.