Code of Conduct

Default new guy needs help!

Hi

Real novice in all this, but want to be one of those people you meet who just smell great!

I've worn various popular EDTs over the years but they haven't seemed to last for more than an hour or so, so had pretty much given up.

So I guess I have a few questions: Have I been doing something wrong? Do I need something stronger than EDT? Should I be putting it in particular places? Are those great smelling people you meet just dousing themselves in EDT and/or using all the matching sets? (deoderants etc). Are there any tricks I should know about?

I also need some advice for a day scent to get me started. I want something fresh, I've liked CK One in the past.

Many thanks in advance

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: new guy needs help!

Well don't forget that with scents most of the time you don't even smell it on yourself (anymore) because you get used to the smell, people you will meet during the day will still smell the scent on you however. But you could always spray a bit more on every morning? Or re-spray during the day if you feel it is needed.

Regarding the daily scent advice, maybe you can start by telling a bit more about yourself? How old are you? What kind of clothes do you prefer? Do you wear your perfume(s) to work, school or college? Or maybe something different?
    In my opinion a perfume is part of your 'identity' and 'image'. It should complement, and perhaps enhance, the kind of style and image you are conveying to other people.
    Last edited by H.D.; 14th November 2013 at 08:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=H.D.;2993620]Well don't forget that with scents most of the time you don't even smell it on yourself (anymore) because you get used to the smell, people you will meet during the day will still smell the scent on you however.

Great advice. So true.

I'm 39 and after something to wear during the day at work where I wear a suit.

Style wise I would describe myself as smartish but understated (eg will always be wearing a collar of some description wherever I am). I like Italian style, slim fitting clothes, brands like Reiss and Boss. I try to present myself as very well groomed and dressed but in a fairly relaxed way. I don't like to look like I've spent too much time on my appearance.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Default new guy needs help!

Hi Goalpie,

There are a few things to consider when it comes to how long a scent will last / project. More often than not, it comes down to the concentration (compound of the materials in relation to alcohol), the kind of notes (fresh, clean, citric notes tend not to last that long due to molecule size), and also the sort of materials used (absolutes and CO2 extractions will generally last longer than essential oils, although aroma chemicals can be super tenacious). With the more mainstream scents, chances are you'll run into lower lifespans as corners tend to be cut a little more there to keep the production costs down (cheaper materials, lower concentrations, emphasis on "top" notes rather than whole composition). And, of course, there is the anosmia outlined above -- your nose might simply retaliate and close up shop if it's inundated, but others can still smell it.

So what you might want to do is browse the site for scents that have good longevity (timespan), projection (how much of a cloud they create), and sillage (trails of scent that follow movement). You can find inexpensive and expensive versions of both, but keep in mind that oftentimes, an ephemeral aesthetic can be part of the scent's design (Comme des Garcons tend to do this), or an extremely loud, long lasting aesthetic can be deployed to create the sensation of value or "quality" (Bond#9 tend to do this with a number of their scents). Louder and stronger doesn't always mean better though: next time you're at a drugstore, check out Joop! which you need sandpaper to scrub off!

Another approach is to spray your clothes, as a fragrance will develop much slower. The heat from your body will make the scent dissipate faster on the skin, so on fabric, you tend to get a slower burn-off and the scent will develop at a different rate. Just be careful not to overdo it!

And last, fresh scents can be tricky as far as lifespan goes as they're often structured around citric notes. Citrus notes are generally comprised of smaller molecules, which means that they vanish quite fast. Many top notes are over and done with in about 30 minutes (which is why a number of brands don't even bother with them). They're used for an initial briskness, but in mainstream perfumery, they can have a pernicious nature in that they're designed to win you over with an initial impression but don't leave much behind. With that said, I'm sure people will be able to chime in here with some great fresh scents that will hold up a little better. "Fresh and clean" isn;t my personal favorite (I'm more into "dirty and heavy"), but I was recently impressed by The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver which has a bracing, salty effect to it that lasts really well. Anyhow, I hope some of this helps!
    Last edited by deadidol; 14th November 2013 at 08:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It does make sense maybe Chanel Pour Monsieur? It's a fresh, in a very classic way, classic chypre. It's very understated but elegant and refined. It matches well with a suit and more formal settings but is in my opinion equally at home at more relaxed leisure-like situations e.g. a cocktailbar or sundaydrinks with friends. If this sounds a bit too conservative and classic for your tastes try something like YSL Jazz or Live Jazz. Or Boss in motion Green.

Thank you, that's amazing detail!

Quote Originally Posted by goalpie View Post

I also need some advice for a day scent to get me started. I want something fresh, I've liked CK One in the past.

Many thanks in advance

Paul
    Just a suggestion for a day scent: Cuir Mandarine by David Jourquin
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Spray on your clothes, that ususally helps. A nice fragrance would be Gucci Pour Homme II.

thanks all

so do I not need to worry about whether I get a cologne/EDT/parfum for longevity then?

Quote Originally Posted by goalpie View Post
    thanks all

so do I not need to worry about whether I get a cologne/EDT/parfum for longevity then?
    That does make a difference. EdC will be the weakest, followed by EdT, and Parfum will be strongest of those three. It's not always that cut and dry, but it's generally the case.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A few worth a try: Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Bvlgari Man (the latter not especially 'fresh' but not dark nor dirty either).

Post Thanks / Like

Further testing suggestions: ADG Essenza, Mugler Cologne, Bleu de Chanel- on the casual side, fresh enough to be suited for daytime wear.

On the more formal, but still fresh side and also quite versatile during daytime: YSL Rive Gauche, Voyage d'Hermes, Boucheron pour Homme.