Code of Conduct

Thread: CdG wonderwood

Default CdG wonderwood

This is probably my next purchase if TM's PH doesn't go through. What do you guys think of it? Describe what it might smell like to a non-experienced nose?

Sound Scents

Default Re: CdG wonderwood

It is excellent. I find it has a lot in common with the also excellent Encre Noir, but where I think Wonderwood distinguishes itself is in the dry-down.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I don't know, but if you're considering getting another CDG fragrance, order it from Hervia and you'll save a good chunk of change. I just got Hinoki and 2 man. Have not tried Wonderwood as of yet though....

Basenotes Institution

Very synthetic-woody with a textural, slightly hissy cedar/sandalwood dry down. I liked it but not enough to own a full bottle.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Tried it. It's a very nice scent.

Dependent

I found this one extraordinarily loud! For some reason it projected as much as the only other sample I ever had to double-bag: Kouros.

It's one of my favorites. Definitely top 3.
    Last edited by Marathon Alchemist; 24th May 2012 at 07:32 PM.
    I am

I like the oud note in this one.

I'm a huge Comme Des Garcons fan but I find Wonderwood to be among their least interesting compositions. Smells nice but whatever you're looking for (sandalwood, oud, woods), there are better options out there. Basically it's CDG for people who actually don't like CDG.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

Wonderwood by Comme des Garcons - Welcome to the wide world of woods! The interesting opening is a dank, forest tree scent, supplied by the melange of warm sandalwood, hints of zesty bergamot and anise-like, caraway seeds, earthy vetiver and creamy guaic wood. This impressive concoction is reminescent of a felled tree in a rain forest, with the attendant damp and green environs. Transitioning to the waiting middle, spicy pepper, ghosts of apple, plum and floral fruitiness from the cristalin, musky powder from the cashmeran, and savory incense enhance the woody brew. The awesome drydown with its rich cedar and enchanting agarwood tug at this lively heart, and is augmented by a charming patchouli, faintly bathing the cedar and oud in an air of mustiness, and a refreshing, dry cypress, with its hint of spiciness, exalting the pleasing, woody base. This high quality and exceptional composition has good projection, after some 4 hours becoming a skin scent, and excellent longevity.

A very nice fragrance. Take Tam Dao, mix it with Encre Noir and you have Wonderwood.

I like it. Very woody. Very synthetic (in a positive way).
    Plenty of pepper, vetiver and cedar.

It projects and lasts long.

for swap/sale:

For me W is a very well put together synth-woody fragrance that I find boring.
    I much prefer oddball scent anyway, especially from Comme.
    Plenty of people love it though, so if you love it you should get it.

I only tried one wearing of Wonderwood so far. Initial impression was that it was nice, woody, but yes synthetic and also a fairly safe scent. It did not have any stand out character. It did saturate the entire room I was in, when I applied only a small amount, with it's smell. To me projection like that is unnecessary and overbearing. Wonderwood and Aventus both shared this effect, which my wife noticed and commented negatively on.

Don't buy it. This fragrance made of synthetic notes.

I wore it a few times while trying to decide if it was worth purchasing a decant or full bottle. I actually find this scent to be the most abrasive, sharp woody fragrance that I have come across. I think that Tam Dao is where you should be looking if you are interested in a woody fragrance. Or if you want something with a little more going on in the composition go with Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I just picked up a 100ml's of the Wonderwood and totally dig it. I agree that for the CdG line it's a lil' plain jane, but I think it's a great woody frag and I luv it's versatility.

It didn't wow me, but it also didn't disappoint.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Basenotes Institution

I am sure that this would make one hell of a Shower Gel or candle.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Its synthetic but pleasant for the sharp wood lovers. On my skin however the longevity is average and projection is mediocre.

Starts of Very woody, but later descends into this beautiful Mysore sandalwood drydown, I highly recommend this scent! Longevity is 12 hours on my skin, sillage is moderate to a skin scent

wood and spice, very nice, very light , something in stile of gucci ph..... not so great longetivity on me, but my skin is wierd

Banned

A wonderful and manly perfume. Try before.

It's a really great fragrance. If you like wood, check it out!

Can anyone speak to how Wonderwood performs year round, particularly in the spring and summer. I just purchased it blindly and would love to know your thoughts. Thanks in advanced.

sandalwood is good all year round, this is primarily a sandalwood fragrance after an hour or so. Great all your round !

Excellent, exactly what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    sandalwood is good all year round, this is primarily a sandalwood fragrance after an hour or so. Great all your round !

I like this one a lot. Not the best sandalwood out there, but very nice. One of CdG's 3 best fragrances IMO.

Basenotes Junkie

I love the stuff. I think it works year round, I would just go lighter on the trigger for the hotter months as it could get pretty cloying in the heat if you spray too much. My parents are moving to Hawaii today and my dad took his Wonderwood with him and it'll work great for him.

CDG fan since 05. Wonderwood reminds of their energy series. Every time I tried it I was looking at the bottle couldn't believe it's actually CDG.

Sandalwhat? It's 100% synth there is not a drop of sandalwood oil there

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    CDG fan since 05. Wonderwood reminds of their energy series. Every time I tried it I was looking at the bottle couldn't believe it's actually CDG.

Sandalwhat? It's 100% synth there is not a drop of sandalwood oil there

It has a mysore sandalwood accord, like most sandalwood fragrances do ( Rush, Pal Zileri ). Some do use Australian sandalwood, but they are still amped with synthetic santalol. Santalol is what gives mysore sandalwood its smell. I actually own a tola of Sandalwood Attar which a friend bought from Bangalore, they are pretty similar in smell. I paid 70 dollars for 10 ml , and your getting 100 ml for 120 bucks.
    All CDG fragrances are synthetic, but most are well constructed.

It's not even about the price. I'm a CDG fan not just perfume line. It's shockingly commercial to me. All I got was strong green cedar with vetiver and pepper.

The Cedar and ISO-e are in the top and mid notes, but for most of its longevity on most people, it turns into a creamy Sandalwood scent. If you go on fragrantica most do compare it to Rush, the Gucci sandalwood masterpiece. I did not find it commerical at all, as in today's market finding a fragrance which utilizes the Mysore sandalwood accord is increasingly rare.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 19th April 2013 at 04:38 AM.

Will try to get a sample of this. Sounds pretty good.

My thoughts exactly, instead I just got the full bottle after reading the notes and a few reviews from trusted noses here. If I don't like it, I'll simply swap or sell. After reading vinramani09's thoughts on it, I'll sleep well tonight and until it arrives

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Will try to get a sample of this. Sounds pretty good.

This scent does not have the best top notes, and I think lot of people naturally do dismiss it because of that, but once the drydown reveals itself, its truly an enjoyable and wonderful fragrance. The plus side is, for anyone craving Gucci Rush, this is a great replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Can anyone speak to how Wonderwood performs year round, particularly in the spring and summer. I just purchased it blindly and would love to know your thoughts. Thanks in advanced.
    It's an all-season frag for me. I have no problems rockin' it in the 100+ days. I think you're gonna dig it.

Dependent

Revisited this one a year later and while the opening is quite pleasing, the drydown is unacceptably synthetic, blaring sandalwood. If there's any real Mysore in this, it can't be much.

It has a sweetness that throws me. I can imagine it being somewhat cloying in hot weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I can imagine it being somewhat cloying in hot weather.
    It's not. At least not to me, and it get's crazy hot here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    It's not. At least not to me, and it get's crazy hot here.
    I guess my opinion is biased by the fact that it's a scent that doesn't quite do it for me, despite my general love of CdG. In general I'm happy to wear dry woody scents in extreme heat, so it probably works fine if you like the scent in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I guess my opinion is biased by the fact that it's a scent that doesn't quite do it for me, despite my general love of CdG. In general I'm happy to wear dry woody scents in extreme heat, so it probably works fine if you like the scent in the first place.
    That makes sense to me. If you do not like green eggs and ham on a plane, you probably won't like them on train.

same vibe of amazing green utterly synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    utterly synthetic
    Isn't that the vibe CdG is going for?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Revisited this one a year later and while the opening is quite pleasing, the drydown is unacceptably synthetic, blaring sandalwood. If there's any real Mysore in this, it can't be much.
    This is exactly what ruins it for me too. The synthetic sandalwood base is just too much.

I like it, but this is the only fragrance that a co-worker hated enough to call me out on it and requested not to wear again in the office.

Got a sample of this recently and wearing it today.

Bit disappointed overall, quite nice, nothing special and far weaker on me than CdG 2 Man, which I absolutely love. Almost bought this a couple of times based on a quick sniff and small spray when sampling other things but at the moment I'm glad I didn't.