Code of Conduct

Default Have you ever thrown bottles away?

Just curious if any of you have ever thrown bottles away before they are empty to reduce your collection? I ask this because one day down the road I may decide to do this with frags that I paid very little for and or don't wear anymore. This could reduce the number of bottles and forgo the hassle of swapping, selling, packing, paying for shipping, etc. So has anybody discarded in lieu of swapping/selling?

Default Re: Have you ever thrown bottles away?

No....I hoard them

Basenotes Plus

They will go to Goodwill or Salvation Army

Quote Originally Posted by BottleJunky View Post
    Just curious if any of you have ever thrown bottles away before they are empty to reduce your collection? I ask this because one day down the road I may decide to do this with frags that I paid very little for and or don't wear anymore. This could reduce the number of bottles and forgo the hassle of swapping, selling, packing, paying for shipping, etc. So has anybody discarded in lieu of swapping/selling?
    What about giving away to someone else? Spraying around the home? Spraying in a vehicle?

There is a bottle I got for free of Oudy Woody or something that I may end up literally smashing though. .
    (Formerly Jouho)

Quote Originally Posted by My_pep_pep View Post
    No....I hoard them
    Ha! This is what I'm trying to avoid! LOL! I would clarify that the bottles I would consider would be cheapies and ones I detest.

I'd bought a more-recent bottle of Davidoff Zino (with the non-script Davidoff logo) from a mall kiosk. Used to wear the original Zino when I was in high school. Anyway, there was a musty, almost moldy-seeming note in this one that was putrid to me. Just threw the darn bottle in the trash. Felt good to do so, honestly. But otherwise, chucking a non-empty bottle is not something I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    What about giving away to someone else? Spraying around the home? Spraying in a vehicle?

There is a bottle I got for free of Oudy Woody or something that I may end up literally smashing though. .
    I'd consider giving them away but don't have many local friends if any into frags.

I have removed bottles from my collection, but not by throwing them in the trash bin. I gave them away, or left them out in the hall of my building for somebody to pick them up. Thrift stores and the like are also a possiblity.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    They will go to Goodwill or Salvation Army
    ^ This. I've only thrown away one bottle before, due to a leaky/bad crimp, it went bad prematurely.

Goodwill and Salvation Army... great idea.

No, I drench myself like a whore to use them up, or they're really bad I put them in the bathroom to use as air freshener.

I'll be forthright and admit to having ditched Quorum Silver & Wings for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills.

Sound Scents

I have done it on one or two occasions over the years. I primarily give those from my collection I don't enjoy enough away to friends.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Not yet. Would probably use them as room / car sprays... If I didn't like it, and was dirt cheap, probably just garbage...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Basenotes Plus

I just tossed a bottle of Iceberg Twice I had sitting around for the past 10 years.

I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it. It's arguably the grossest fragrance I've ever smelled. I didn't think anyone would want even if i gave it for free.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Before we had a computer, before I knew of Basenotes or eBay, yes-- I threw bottles away!

I admit to having reverted to throwing way unwanted samples. (Postage, hassle at the P.O., etc.)
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 16th July 2014 at 05:31 PM.

Reformulated Quorum and Kouros Sport.

samples i dont like? all the time (especially that exceptional crap that fragrance net pushes). One bottle of one of those so called "blends" that supposedly enhances the smell of M.I. I cant subject another human being to that crap even if i give it to them for free..

Basenotes Plus

There are couple giveaway threads here on BN where you may also want to post those unwanted fragrances. Someone else might be interested in giving them a try. Both samples and partial bottles are welcome in these giveaway threads.

As far as your original question: I haven't actually thrown out a bottle before, but I have demoted some to bathroom spray duty (if I liked the scent just didn't feel like it fit me to actually wear it), or left it out at the office or some other business/retail establishment in similar location. On couple occasions I just gave away the bottles to other BN friends, when I hated the scent but knew the other person liked it (Narciso Rodrigues for Him, I'm looking at you, you nasty little thing!).

I give them away, but request that the one who wants it covers the price of the shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by BottleJunky View Post
    Goodwill and Salvation Army... great idea.
    I used to give to the Salvation Army until I went into one of their outlet stores. I was wanting to purchase a recliner for my disabled neighbor and they wanted $400 for it and wouldn't accept any offers. I then looked at the rest of their furniture and it was also priced way too high. Went to the Goodwill down the street and they had something halfway decent for $30. Another thing about the Salvation Army here is if you call them and they show up they won't take your donation unless it's in great shape. The Goodwill will take anything.

The only time I throw a fragrance away is if it has turned (gone bad).... This happens rarely... I give them away!

Nautica voyage, I could not stand the fragrance so I had to throw it out. I would have given it away, but its really cheap and most of my friends have it or hate it.

I can only remember one time that i threw a perfume in the trash instead of giving it away to someone. Giorgio Beverly Hills Red. Thats some vile stuff right there. My fiance could believe it when she saw me throw it away. I told her i wouldn't be able to live with myself if i gave it to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M. View Post
    Nautica voyage, I could not stand the fragrance so I had to throw it out. I would have given it away, but its really cheap and most of my friends have it or hate it.
    I did the same with Nautica Blue several years ago. That was the first and only time I've ever thrown away a bottle. Now, any fragrances in my collection that I no longer want are gifted to my building's doormen and cleaning crew.

No, I brake them bottles and mix the glass with porcelain mosaics and do table tops....Not! Just kidding! I use to throw them away but now as my collection is, it will be a long long time when if I do finish a full bottle, and that's why I'm careful now to only buy scents I love and get the ones I like on splits and I finish decanted portion: hence meditate(ponder) if to get a fB...
    Last edited by magnus611; 16th July 2014 at 07:00 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    No, I brake them bottles and mix the glass with porcelain mosaics and do table tops....Not! Just kidding! I use to throw them away but now as my collection is, it will be a long long time when if I do finish a full bottle, and that's why I'm careful now to only buy scents I love and get the ones I like on splits and I finish decanted portion: hence meditate(ponder) if to get a fB...
    No, even if I dislike the fragrance. I won't dispose of the bottle.

I'll spritz every now and then. I haven't been disturbed by a frag to give it away just yet.
    Never leave the house without six sprays.

My Top 5:
    1. Perry Ellis "m"
    2. Body Kouros
    3. Black XS
    4. 1 Million
    5. Black Orchid

I threw my 3.4oz of Gucci Envy that had 80% left in the bottle around 2009 because the sprayer wasn't working....I kick myself mentally every time the thought comes up.
    Current top 5:
    1) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    2) Imaginary Authors The Cobra and The Canary
    3) Guerlain Vetiver
    4) Parfums de Nicolai: New York
    5) A*Men: Pure Havane

SALES THREAD!

I have when I received some as gifts that I did not want in my collection and that no one else in my family wanted.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Mostly, a few empty bottles alone. Other than that, I gave away near-full or not empty bottles if someone in my family liked them after them testing or me wearing one of these fragrances.

I've only ever thrown out 3 bottles,(Drakkar Noir, Hugo and Polo Sport)and that was simply because I didnt know any better and kept them on the bathroom counter for about 12-15yrs when I was younger. So when I got serious about collecting and learning how to properly store them, I though "these probably need to go"lol

Basenotes Plus

Bought a knock off of ADG at the dollar store (yes, for one dollar). It smelled so horribly toxic, that I cold not think of another persona I knew wearing it. Tossed it.

Not that I can recall, unless it was empty. I usually give them away to family unless I sell it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntagonist View Post
    I threw my 3.4oz of Gucci Envy that had 80% left in the bottle around 2009 because the sprayer wasn't working....I kick myself mentally every time the thought comes up.
    Ouch, I'm sure that one cause you to recoil a bit when you think about it!

Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    Bought a knock off of ADG at the dollar store (yes, for one dollar). It smelled so horribly toxic, that I cold not think of another persona I knew wearing it. Tossed it.
    I've smelled this stuff and I think this is one disposal that is justified I've tossed some older sample vials in the recycle bin, but I've never thrown out a bottle. I can always, swap, sell, or give it away, even if it's something I really don't like. Someone will be grateful to have it.

Will give them away before I throw them away.

Basenotes Plus

Grey Flannel. I hated it so much I wouldn't let my wife give it away and torchure someone else.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

A 4.2 oz of vintage Polo in the late 1990s. Felt I was too young to pull it off then. I was right. Too young and too stupid. Lol.

I have also given away bottles before to downsize my wardrobe but I found myself wishing I hadn't. Next time I'd decant a small sample for myself first for future reference.y

I threw a nearly full bottle of Le Male away a few months back - None of my buddies wanted it and I didn't think of Goodwill or Salvation Army as an option. I still have a nearly full bottle of Polo that I guess I'll take to Goodwill.

Throw them away??

Heck I give them to my kids !

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    I'd bought a more-recent bottle of Davidoff Zino (with the non-script Davidoff logo) from a mall kiosk. Used to wear the original Zino when I was in high school. Anyway, there was a musty, almost moldy-seeming note in this one that was putrid to me. Just threw the darn bottle in the trash. Felt good to do so, honestly. But otherwise, chucking a non-empty bottle is not something I'd do.
    Sounds like it was skunked. I had to do the same with a bottle of Drakkar Noir that I picked up at a Walgreens when I was in high school. I don't think the drugstore fragrances get the same care in storage that the designer ones do.