Code of Conduct

Default Smell Bent fragrances.

Was watching youtube and Mr. Dan Mickers had a video on a house called Smell bent with some really interesting and affordable fragrances. Reviews are hard to come by as they introduce and discontinue their fragrances quite often. Was wondering which one's you've tried and your impressions. I have samples coming of Tokyo Fizzzz, Debonair Eau Dandy, Sunshine Mama's spiced tea, and Orange Flower Water.

Default Re: Smell Bent fragrances.

I know I sampled Horny Little Devil and maybe a few more from them, but don't recall liking any. They might surprise you but I was getting the impression they smelled a bit cheap and decided not to look into any more from the house.

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone have any experience with these fragrances? They seem very interesting.
    The Tokyo Fizz one sounds particularly neat.

I love Brent's work - of course not EVERYthing will please everyone, but he is not afraid to take risks. I write for CaFleureBon and he was my 2011 Perfumer of the Year, actually. He has a collection out currently that is a lot of fun called Vocabulary - you can get a set of all of them to try for $25 and they are made to be layered and experimented with. His fumes are inexpnsive, but not cheap, if you know what I mean. Not everyone will like his particular musk base that he uses in some scents, but I am grateful for it because I can actually smell it. If you like leather scents, Chastity Begins at Home is a must-try.

I'm a huge Smell Bent fan, and I have a lot of reviews here on my blog

Quote Originally Posted by Tama View Post
    I love Brent's work - of course not EVERYthing will please everyone, but he is not afraid to take risks. I write for CaFleureBon and he was my 2011 Perfumer of the Year, actually. He has a collection out currently that is a lot of fun called Vocabulary - you can get a set of all of them to try for $25 and they are made to be layered and experimented with. His fumes are inexpnsive, but not cheap, if you know what I mean. Not everyone will like his particular musk base that he uses in some scents, but I am grateful for it because I can actually smell it. If you like leather scents, Chastity Begins at Home is a must-try.
    Thanks for the input Have you sampled Tokyo Fizz as of yet?

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    I'm a huge Smell Bent fan, and I have a lot of reviews here on my blog
    Thanks Freddie. I just read most of your reviews, and while the line does interest me, it seems like most of the stuff is unwearable... I also didn't see any reviews of Tokyo Fizz on your blog. This stuff is very elusive >.<

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Thanks Freddie. I just read most of your reviews, and while the line does interest me, it seems like most of the stuff is unwearable... I also didn't see any reviews of Tokyo Fizz on your blog. This stuff is very elusive >.<
    Hi there, thanks for reading them
    Unwearable isn't the case at all, but it depends on what sort of fragrances you are used to. Some of them are challenging yes, but that's what makes fragrance so exciting to me. If you are after safer fragrances, he has them in his line, and Tokyo Fizz is one of them, it's basically a literally fizzy citrus, with a great camphorous hinoki, green woodiness just supporting the sparkling aldehydic top. It's a great summer scent. I personally prefer his heavier dirtier stuff however.

Hi there, thanks for reading them
    Unwearable isn't the case at all, but it depends on what sort of fragrances you are used to. Some of them are challenging yes, but that's what makes fragrance so exciting to me. If you are after safer fragrances, he has them in his line, and Tokyo Fizz is one of them, it's basically a literally fizzy citrus, with a great camphorous hinoki, green woodiness just supporting the sparkling aldehydic top. It's a great summer scent. I personally prefer his heavier dirtier stuff however.
    Sorry my man, "challenging" is definitely the more appropriate term to be used in this situation. I guess I'm still at that level of fragrance where I don't like to go too far off my comfort level; however, it might be worth taking the leap with a sampler of some of these frags, as it sounds very much like I'm going to be wanting a bottle of Tokyo Fizz :P

Brent is on basenotes (or has been at some point). He's a really nice guy and I've liked a couple of his scents very much: Pere Noel Coward, which is a nice wintery pine and Commando, which is a nice musky skin scent. I've been tempted by a few others, but most of his stuff is a bit too gourmand for me.

Sampled Violet Tendencies and this is the most wearable of the smell bent fragrances I've tested so far. Looking to test Mountain High, Totem Eclipse of the Heart, and Hungry Hungry Hippies. Still haven't bought a full bottle, but Violet Tendencies is calling for a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Sampled Violet Tendencies and this is the most wearable of the smell bent fragrances I've tested so far. Looking to test Mountain High, Totem Eclipse of the Heart, and Hungry Hungry Hippies. Still haven't bought a full bottle, but Violet Tendencies is calling for a purchase.
    I will report back with the results of my sampling run once I decide on which frags to order. As of right now it's looking like:
    Tokyo Mama
    Tokyo Mama Fizz
    Mocktail
    Werewolf Lumberjack
    Chastity Begins at Home

*Edit

What were your impressions of Tokyo Fizz???
    Last edited by The Smelly Scientist; 22nd May 2012 at 08:29 PM.

I blind-bought Brussels Sprouted, Debonair, and Saddle Warmer. All three are different but they all share a similar vibe which is in the base. To be honest, I don't really like any of these.

Debonair is decently tolerable throughout. Sorry, no elaboration at this point.

Brussels Sprouted is kinda nice in the dry down. Green, woody, soapy, clean...

Saddle Warmer is the worst "fragrance" I've ever smelled. It smells similar to rotting fruit with garbage, a plastic producing factories' emissions, benzene, and the claustrophobic feeling of being suffocated by a trash bag! It's sweet, chemically synthetic, overwhelming, sickening, and claustrophobic.

Not a fan thus far. Maybe I'll try some SB samples in the future,, but for now I'm good...
    Last edited by Smells_Familiar; 23rd May 2012 at 03:55 AM.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Quote Originally Posted by Smells_Familiar View Post
    Saddle Warmer is the worst "fragrance" I've ever smelled.
    ^Yup.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Saddle Warmer is great! I blind bought it a while back, but it is virtually unwearable. I've gave it some full wearings and semi-enjoyed the drydown, it smells like someone elses skin, it's bizarre.
    The opening is indeed a rotted fruit note (peach) and an overtly cheap boozy accord. The green notes are also dirty resembling hay - slightly fecal. It's extremely suffocating, but very fun fragrance!
    Commando is outstanding IMO, and his Totem Eclipse is one of the best green scents I've ever smelt.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    I will report back with the results of my sampling run once I decide on which frags to order. As of right now it's looking like:
    Tokyo Mama
    Tokyo Mama Fizz
    Mocktail
    Werewolf Lumberjack
    Chastity Begins at Home

*Edit

What were your impressions of Tokyo Fizz???
    Tokyo Fizz reminded me of the San Pellegrino Limonata soda or a lemon Italian ice. Fun scent that could be worn during the summer.

...Commando is outstanding IMO...
    I enjoy it too. I have a couple of vials of the perfume oil waiting to be collected this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Smells_Familiar View Post
    Saddle Warmer is the worst "fragrance" I've ever smelled. It smells similar to rotting fruit with garbage, a plastic producing factories' emissions, benzene, and the claustrophobic feeling of being suffocated by a trash bag! It's sweet, chemically synthetic, overwhelming, sickening, and claustrophobic.
    Agree, it's pretty awful.

Today I received Violet Tendencies and Debonair. I only took the cap off and smelled since I had already applied a frag for the day. Debonair seems like a Rochas Lui/Habit Rouge/Etiquette Bleu type frag whereas VT seemed like it has similarities to Cumming the Fragrance, except without the dirt/peat type note. I'll update when I have a chance to sample them.

One of my favorites is Prairie Nymph. It has an amazing honey note accompanying carnation and tangerine. Smell Bent is a cool house, like most experimental houses, CdG, ELDO, etc. you have certain fragrances that are easier to wear than others. Super creative work, all done with a sense of humor and intelligence, IMO.

Prairie Nymph is great! I also like Bollywood or Bust, Sunshine, Incensed, and a few being dc'd - Mots Verts and Tibet ur Bottom $. I am still exploring the line, all the time. Some people kind of discount his work because he isn't all French about it, you know? He is irreverent and humorous, but very serious about his work.

I decided to sample VT on my ankle and here is my preliminary review of it:

This one has the same kind of leather note as Cumming the Fragrance (I'm guessing that's what it is, though it is accompanied by an almost ammnonia-like element), but without the tobacco and peat notes. Instead it has an interesting vegetal and gunpowder/steel like quality. I think this is the combination of a lot of violet and the spruce, but I don't get the agarwood so that might be part of it too. It comes together fairly quickly and seems linear after that. Other than a slight metallic quality, this is about as rich and natural fragrance as one could hope for in such a simple scent. My preference is for softer and more complex fragrances, but this is certainly very good for what it is, and a good example of contemporary niche done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I decided to sample VT on my ankle and here is my preliminary review of it:

This one has the same kind of leather note as Cumming the Fragrance (I'm guessing that's what it is, though it is accompanied by an almost ammnonia-like element), but without the tobacco and peat notes. Instead it has an interesting vegetal and gunpowder/steel like quality. I think this is the combination of a lot of violet and the spruce, but I don't get the agarwood so that might be part of it too. It comes together fairly quickly and seems linear after that. Other than a slight metallic quality, this is about as rich and natural fragrance as one could hope for in such a simple scent. My preference is for softer and more complex fragrances, but this is certainly very good for what it is, and a good example of contemporary niche done right.
    Nice review Bigsly. Was wanting to ask you a question to see if you could help. There's something in every smell bent fragrance I've smelled that smells like Creed's Bois De Cedrat. I have no idea what note or combination of notes it is, but it seems to be a building block which all their fragrances are based off of. I was thinking a woody note or aromachemical.

I'll try Debonair tomorrow and see if I can detect a similar quality too VT. I haven't tried that Creed so I can't speak to that one.

I'll try Debonair tomorrow and see if I can detect a similar quality too VT. I haven't tried that Creed so I can't speak to that one.
    There's not much to Bois de Cedrat. Lemon Opening, Mandarin heart, and woods in the base. It could be the lemon or mandarin. It smells like if you would crush up one of the rinds, getting some on your hands, and letting it set for a bit before you smell it. So far I've smelled it in every fragrance in the Remix sampler. Has a dryness about it.

First, dab sampling of Debonair: I smell the neroli and orange when I take the cap off. It comes across as an accord found in Habit Rouge EdC, Rochas Lui, and Etiquette Bleu. When I spray it on, trying to largely avoid top notes, I get a lot of vanilla; certainly not a "hint." However, it is not sweet enough for me to think of it as a gourmand. While simple, it's not boring, as there's a kind of dynamism to it that keeps it interesting. I don't know why it was not marketed as unisex, because there's nothing in it that screams "masculine" to me. I'll update with longevity later, but projection ("sillage") seems to be at least good.

First, dab sampling of Debonair: I smell the neroli and orange when I take the cap off. It comes across as an accord found in Habit Rouge EdC, Rochas Lui, and Etiquette Bleu. When I spray it on, trying to largely avoid top notes, I get a lot of vanilla; certainly not a "hint." However, it is not sweet enough for me to think of it as a gourmand. While simple, it's not boring, as there's a kind of dynamism to it that keeps it interesting. I don't know why it was not marketed as unisex, because there's nothing in it that screams "masculine" to me. I'll update with longevity later, but projection ("sillage") seems to be at least good.
    Debonair is probably my favorite Smell Bent out of the dozen or so I own or have sampled. For myself, longevity is outstanding.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Yes, it's still goings strong, many hours later. VT will be the challenging one for me, but I definitely look forward to wearing it again, normally.