Code of Conduct

Default I think I bought a fake bottle of Fahrenheit

So despite the warnings, I went out and bought a bottle of Fahrenheit off Ebay. It arrived wrapped in cellophane, "NIB" as described. Everything looked alright, the serial numbers on the box and bottle matched: 7E04. When I first sprayed it, I was shocked. I got a blast of alcohol, then a very faint soapy smell, with a hint of violet. I looked up the serial number on cosmetics wizard and saw that it was produced 2007-5. Could it be that this bottle has just gone bad?

Another curiosity is that the straw attached to the pump nozzle is unusually long, almost forming a full coil on the bottom of the bottle. all other bottles I've seen in pictures/online the straw is just long enough to reach the bottom. Is this suspicious?

Default Re: I think I bought a fake bottle of Fahrenheit

Look to see if there's a temperature gauge anywhere on the bottle. If it's in Celsius, you know you've gotten a dud

I'd be worried about the length of the tube/straw, but this is just one of those frags you don't buy "NIB" 100 ml on ebay! LOL.

Just out of curiosity how much did you pay for it? Also how long does it last on your skin before you can't smell it anymore? Does it smell like vinegar or alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by sidney_falco View Post
    look to see if there's a temperature gauge anywhere on the bottle. If it's in celsius, you know you've gotten a dud
    lol!

sidney_falco: Wish it were that easy =P

Bigsly: Yeah... Time to shell out for a real bottle lol

silentrich: I paid about 45 with shipping for it. Not quite sure about the longevity, its been about 20 min so far. It smells just like rubbing alcohol.

Try scraping off the lettering on the bottle with a fingernail. If it comes off easily that is usually a fake, from what I understand.

The lettering seems pretty solid. There are slight imperfections in the bottle like small air bubbles, but I'm thinking perhaps the top was pried off, filled with this mystery liquid, then replaced with a new nozzle/straw? Anyone know how to proceed in getting my money back from an Ebay seller?

Quote Originally Posted by Switch245 View Post
    sidney_falco: Wish it were that easy =P

Bigsly: Yeah... Time to shell out for a real bottle lol

silentrich: I paid about 45 with shipping for it. Not quite sure about the longevity, its been about 20 min so far. It smells just like rubbing alcohol.
    That's pretty cheap for a 100ml bottle that's NIB. My gut instinct is telling me it's fake. I'd email the seller and voice your concerns and if he doesn't offer to refund your money then I'd file a report with Ebay and PayPal. Also take some pics of the bottle, sprayer, and box. There's a lot of fahrenheit lovers that could probably tell you right off the bat.

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/

$45 is way cheap. That alone make me think its a fake.

If you paid with paypal you can complain, and if it shows sign of tampering that seems like a good argument.

^ I probably should have known just from the price, but many other listings were going at similar prices. Apparently there are a lot of knockoffs being sold on Ebay. I guess i'm out for shipping fees now....

I've never attempted it but I believe PayPal has a number of protocols in place for getting your money back if you've gotten a fake of something. The price alone should've been a red flag. Out of curiosity, what was the seller's reputation like?

Yeah, I sent a message to the seller as well as opened a claim on PayPal. Hopefully I can get a refund plus shipping covered.

The seller's reputation was as follows:
    Positive Feedback: 98.6%
    Feedback score: 69

The box it came in looks like crap.

To me that is a bad feedback score and that that tube/straw looks really bad.

Yeah, I sent a message to the seller as well as opened a claim on PayPal. Hopefully I can get a refund plus shipping covered.

The seller's reputation was as follows:
    Positive Feedback: 98.6%
    Feedback score: 69
    I would've probably waited to open the claim and given the seller a chance to refund your money. You need to be for sure the seller knew he was selling a fake as a lot of time, the sellers are the ones that have also been scammed by someone else.

And eBay reputations are problematic in low numbers because a lot of times buyers who buy cheap bottles off eBay haven't bought a retail bottle to compare it to so they often don't realize they've been scammed and leave positive feedback, thereby making the seller look more trustworthy for future buyers and making them even less suspicious

Sidney_Falco: I actually ended up thinking the same way, and didn't open up the claim just yet, I'll wait for them to respond instead.

Yeah, I suppose I should have seen that everything didn't add up from the listing itself.

Any suggestions on where to pick up a legit bottle?

So, do you actually know what real Fahrenheit smells like? Have you smelled it before?

Your description of this "fake" Fahrenheit sounds a lot like the descriptions of people who have rubbished the genuine stuff here.
    Regards,
    Renato

Yes I have smelled real Fahrenheit and loved it. In fact, I have a sample vial of it to compare to. Perhaps there is some difference if the bottle in question is from a different formulation in 2007, but the liquid smells much too weak and soapy, not to mention the quality of the packaging itself.

Sidney_Falco: I actually ended up thinking the same way, and didn't open up the claim just yet, I'll wait for them to respond instead.

Yeah, I suppose I should have seen that everything didn't add up from the listing itself.

Any suggestions on where to pick up a legit bottle?
    I had a bottle that I could have hooked you up with a few days ago, but unfortunately I already sold it. My mom bought it for me as a birthday gift with the explanation of "you always talk about how much I love it". I think she failed to take into account I always talk about it because I own it and wear it often! Fragrancenet with a 20% off coupon + an ebates cashback will be about as cheap as anywhere

^ Dang, missed out! Thanks for the advice; I just checked Fragrancenet however, and it seems they don't have a 3.4 in stock. Is it usually available or do they not carry that size?

^ Dang, missed out! Thanks for the advice; I just checked Fragrancenet however, and it seems they don't have a 3.4 in stock. Is it usually available or do they not carry that size?
    They sell out of sizes from time to time, they'll carry whatever sizes they can get their hands on. You can wait a few weeks or look at other vendors on eBay or Amazon. Or just bite the bullet and buy at a dept store to be sure, the price difference with Dior products online vs. in store is not all that great

@Switch245 did you end up returning it? I'm asking because I just received a used bottle off eBay with the same serial number (7E04) as yours and it has the same unusually long straw. Is it normal for bottles to have the same serial number as other bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by plastik View Post
    Is it normal for bottles to have the same serial number as other bottles?
    I think yes. I have two similar shalimar bottles and they have the same serial number under the bottles.

I have never seen a bottle with a straw/tube like that except when I bought some inexpensive glass bottles to use for decants. I can't imagine a major frag company selling that.

sounds like you got ripped off. I had another friend buy off ebay and got burned. His had a really long spray tube as well

Did you get your money back?

@plastik Yes I ended up sending it back to the seller, as it was definitely not what I paid for. Does your bottle smell off as well?

@Kingpharroh Yup, the seller was great about sending a postage label and refunding me fully through paypal. Not sure if these sellers know they have fake stock. Why go through the trouble of paying return postage/refunding? Or maybe most people who buy counterfeits don't know they got ripped off.

I bought a fake recently off ebay and I could just kick myself for not being more careful....that and I want to tear all the hair outta the schmo's balls that sold it to me! Lesson learned.

^ did the seller refuse to issue a refund?

Yeah, he tried to. I took it to paypal, they are making him give a refund.

I bought three fake bottles of 100 ml Vintage Fahrenheit, but I got my money back every time. The fourth time I was lucky ... :-)

I recently bought another fake vintage Fahrenheit from eBay! And there is no doubt about it once you see the bottle. Wrong color which is wearing off, air bubbles, wrong sprayer head, wrong cap ... and the smell is absoluty nothing like Fahrenheit. It smells more like a cheap handsoap. Luckily, I got my money back the other three times without problems, but I'm still fighting with this one.
    Last edited by osoblanco; 21st July 2012 at 10:25 AM.

Problem is once you have a doubt it is a lemon, it will never feel right even is it proves to be genuine.
    Has happened to me with a Boss Bottled purchase from the net. When I first sprayed it , it felt little off to me. My friends told me you smell the same (i used to wear it a lot) , but with a doubt in my mind, it always feels wrong.

The Fahrenheit fakes I received were very easy to recognise as fakes. Apart from the cheap imitation of the bottle, the people who did this didn't even try to make it smell like Fahrenheit, not even remotely! The only thing that can fool you is the box, although it's far from being perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by osoblanco View Post
    Apart from the cheap imitation of the bottle, the people who did this didn't even try to make it smell like Fahrenheit, not even remotely!
    Yup. The fake Fahrenheit I got from ebay (argh!) didn't smell like Fahrenheit. Hell, it didn't smell like anything at all. Also, the sprayer on the bottle I received is WHITE. I'm talking about the tiny circle nozzle. It should be black/daaaaark gray. Here's what I received: