Code of Conduct

Unhappy Eau d'Orange Verte urinous?

I picked up a used bottle of Eau d'Orange Verte at a junk shop--clearly used, a 50ml with 10ml or so gone. Very pleasant! Short-lived, but a spray on clothing extended the longevity a bit. Recently, I picked up another bottle of the same juice--a very elegant, thin 15ml spray--this from the local 'black market' in Tokyo--well this was a black market after WWII, now it is a fairly legitimate market, but I think the fragrances can be 'grey market' in the worst sense of the word. My new bottle was wrapped in cello, and appeared to be unused. However, it had a urinous ('cat pee') note that I didn't get from my earlier bottle. Looking at the reviews, some people (the haters) noted this. Others did not. Is the cat pee note a product of bad storage or other damage? If so, it is ironic that my well-used bottle is okay, and the 'new' bottle is bad... I just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed that some samples have the urinous note and others don't. I should also note that the urinous note goes away in 20 or 30 minutes, so it is not a big deal.

Default Re: Eau d'Orange Verte urinous?

I got a new bottle just yesterday. No urinous note to my nose, though I'm not a hater. I'm tempted to say that the urinous note is due to poor storage.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

I am also quite familiar with this scent, but never ever noticed this note either.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I am also quite familiar with this scent, but never ever noticed this note either.
    Nor I.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I have never gotten that note either

Dependent

I found the juice at Sephora pretty animalic/urinous. I got a lot of blood orange peel and civet.

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. In fact I basically posted an identical thread a little while ago except mine involved "Concentree d'Orange Verte"

Read it. There's a few interesting responses in there, particularly the ones about phenylacetic acid.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/279...d+orange+urine

Interesting that your bring this up. I haven't tried the fragrance in question, however, I find that orange blossom (which this scent contains) can sometimes give a urine-like accord to fragrances. Without meaning to be crass (or stereotypical) it can smell a bit like an old lady in the summer! I remember that a friend of mine wore (I think) Hugo Boss Orange pour Femme in a very hot summer and thinking that it smelt a bit like urine. Could be to do with application/skin chemistry as I wore APOM today (pretty hot here) and didn't detect this accord. I was even told that I smelt nice, so don't think it was kicking off a hum!

My conclusion is that my newer bottle is probably damaged. I like most animalic notes. Guerlain Pampeleune, Bois de Miel, Muscs KK--all these I like very much. But this stuff is really beyond the pale. There is a difference between these notes used by a perfumeur, versus ones caused by damage. Anyway, thanks for all the input!

I get an animalic note (civet?) from Concentree d'Orange Verte in the drydown. Some people find that it smells urine like.

Urinous? No.

for swap/sale:

I dislike Eau d'Orange Verte, but I can't say I detect anything that smells like urine in it.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Bumping an old thread here, but see my just-posted review of EdOV. I noticed the title of this thread because when I bought a set of mini EdOV toiletries (bubble bath, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, lotion) it didn't take long for the shower gel to start to smell musty and acrid, like the citrus oils were starting to oxidize and become rancid. I don't know why only one of the set did that, but it's a pretty marked difference from the others. EdOV has put me through many trials and tribulations before I finally gave up on all forms of the scent and its matching products.
    Last edited by Redbeard; 7th October 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: original post screwed up

Banned

No urinous note in my bottle too.

Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    I picked up a used bottle of Eau d'Orange Verte at a junk shop--clearly used, a 50ml with 10ml or so gone. Very pleasant! Short-lived, but a spray on clothing extended the longevity a bit. Recently, I picked up another bottle of the same juice--a very elegant, thin 15ml spray--this from the local 'black market' in Tokyo--well this was a black market after WWII, now it is a fairly legitimate market, but I think the fragrances can be 'grey market' in the worst sense of the word. My new bottle was wrapped in cello, and appeared to be unused. However, it had a urinous ('cat pee') note that I didn't get from my earlier bottle. Looking at the reviews, some people (the haters) noted this. Others did not. Is the cat pee note a product of bad storage or other damage? If so, it is ironic that my well-used bottle is okay, and the 'new' bottle is bad... I just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed that some samples have the urinous note and others don't. I should also note that the urinous note goes away in 20 or 30 minutes, so it is not a big deal.
    Just an update: I kept trying the offending bottle. Eventually the bad note disappeared. Was there something in the tube that finally got swept out? Or maybe my nose has changed--that is possible, I suppose. But it seems fine now!

I bought a fake of this and it had a strong cat piss note. Ended up chucking it in the trash.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

I can not detect any urinous note, too. I have just sprayed it on.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

You can add my name to the list of No people.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

My bottle is also a urine-free zone
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Not even a hint of urine. Now, Musc Ravageur . . . .
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Urine no, but I do get a distinct BO note that has kept me from buying it, and I have read other posts where people also get the BO thing going on, I may just be sensitive to something in that bitter orange note.