Code of Conduct

Thread: Amouage Beloved

Hillaire

Default Amouage Beloved

This thread is dedicated to this new scent, which I am really excited about.

It's in a pink box! I cannot wait.

I haven't smelled it, but I am really looking forward to hearing from folks who have.

Bernard Ellena (younger brother of Jean Claude) is the nose behind it; he also made the Jil Sander Style range, Hanae Mori, and Oriens... to name a few.

It's categorized as a floral, but I have to wonder, with notes like Castoreum, Leather, Ambergris, and cardamon! Especially on the heels of such a 'pure' floral as Honour Woman.

Basenotes Institution

I'm looking forward to this too , Hillaire . No sign of it at Bergdorf online though .
    Any thoughts on this new fume ?
    The blog reviews were promising !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Default Re: Amouage Beloved

I ordered a sample but won't be able to report back until Tuesday when I get home to SD from SF.

Interesting - can't wait to try as Amouage generally does a great job of the women's line. (Dia is in a bright pink box!) I wish they'd go back to those beautiful lead crystal bottles.

It'll probably be launched here first. I'll try it if I see it and report back.

for swap/sale:

Hillaire

Looking forward to reports, guys.

Same here!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Hmmm. Time to start a new to-sniff list. Couldn't get more alphabetical than Amouage Beloved.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It'll probably be launched here first. I'll try it if I see it and report back.
    Good. Let us know when it makes its arrival.

I asked the sales staff here about it last week and they had never heard of it, which is rather disconcerting.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Hmmm. Time to start a new to-sniff list. Couldn't get more alphabetical than Amouage Beloved.
    I like that!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I smelt it a couple of weeks ago and it left me cold. If you love white florals, you might enjoy it.

It's also more feminine than unisex.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I smelt it a couple of weeks ago and it left me cold. If you love white florals, you might enjoy it.

It's also more feminine than unisex.
    Another white floral? On the heels of Honour Woman?
    That is disappointing news.

I wore my sample yesterday. Found it quite feminine, floral and powdery. Longevity was very good (got 8+ hours from a dabbed sample vial application) but low sillage. Verdict: would wear it happily if someone gifted me with it, but would not likely shell out $430 plus tax/shipping on it.

Hillaire

cazaubon, why is SO much money? Is it an attar or something?

No it's not, it's just a regular spray edp. That's why I don't really understand the pricing. It is the same quality as their other scents and AFAIK there are no really rare/expensive ingredients in it to make it 40%+ more expensive.

Hillaire

Hmmmm...
    Maybe it will make me fancier than the other ones, though. Maybe it's even 'rubbed elbows' with royalty or something.
    Alas, I need it even more, given the special pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    No it's not, it's just a regular spray edp. That's why I don't really understand the pricing. It is the same quality as their other scents and AFAIK there are no really rare/expensive ingredients in it to make it 40%+ more expensive.
    I have to second that. For what it is, it almost boarders on smelling generic (though it does smell of quality).

Hillaire, I have been spritzing my little decant of Beloved for over a week. And it's gorgeous! I am totally addicted. I am lousy at scent descriptions, but here it goes:
    There is the slightest hint of your much loved Dia in here. Only instead of soap rose, it's more powdery rose, with some wonderful clary sage and leather (a la No. 19) I think the ylang-ylang adds a soft, but elegant, sensuality that keeps this from being too dry and catch in the throat. And the dry down is pure musky heaven. When I awake in the morning, I keep my hose planted in my arm, huffing for a few moments before I get up. Such pleasure!

I could be wrong, but I think you will LOVE Beloved. I am trying to find a way to get a full bottle of this beauty. My 5ml decant will not last long and then I will be sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I have to second that. For what it is, it almost boarders on smelling generic (though it does smell of quality).
    I certainly agree that I don't understand the pricing on this one. Beloved is certainly of high quality, but what separates it from others in the Amouage line is not clear. Nevertheless, I must humbly disagree that it borders on generic. To my nose it is classic, in the French style. Reminding me, at various points in its development, of other iconic fragrances. The powdery-musk and rose/jasmine is reminiscent of No. 5. The herbal, green, leather notes, hearken back to vintage No. 19. The animalic component reminds me of vintage, deep and musky Chanel. It is as if The Nose for Amouage had channeled Ernest Beaux. These scent associations are fleeting, however, as Beloved goes on to dance with ylang, violet, cedar, and a touch of vanilla. It certainly has much in common with perfumes of the past, but remains, uniquely, her own story.

Edit: I also did not find it to be white-floral in nature. It is nothing like Honour--which is dewy, lush, and pollen-like. So have no fear, this is not another white floral. And I also think the lavender, leather, clary sage give this a a bit of a masculine edge. This is definitely a feminine fragrance, but I also catch a bit of fougere in the opening.
    Last edited by chaplain; 4th June 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Oh wonderful thoughts from Chaplain ! A lemming indeed. I must sample this one. It is very pricey ........ The economy gets bad, the prices go up.
    (((Hillaire ))) - come back to us.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Oh wonderful thoughts from Chaplain ! A lemming indeed. I must sample this one. It is very pricey ........ The economy gets bad, the prices go up.
    (((Hillaire ))) - come back to us.
    A lemming, indeed! The price is outrageous. It is my understanding that it was created as a tribute for the "Bergdorf Goodman Woman." I'm sure the price tag is meant to reflect the opulence and extravagance worthy of a BG Woman! (Whatever, right?! LOL!) I was hoping not to like it. Unfortunately I adore it.

Yes, Hillaire, please come back! I see you registered as "guest" Pourquoi??

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I wore my sample yesterday. Found it quite feminine, floral and powdery. Longevity was very good (got 8+ hours from a dabbed sample vial application) but low sillage. Verdict: would wear it happily if someone gifted me with it, but would not likely shell out $430 plus tax/shipping on it.
    $430?! Holy moly! There are certain things that ought not cost more than my first car, and this is one of them.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!