Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dirty, animalic Fresh?

I know this sounds borderline disgusting, but there's something nice of the body's natural odor. And I'm not talking dirty, BO, I'm talking of SKIN scent. Some people have a nice skin scent, and I kind of like mine. I also like when fragrances mix well with my skin chemistry and enhance it/become a part of it.

I like when fragrances have a natural kind of note, something masculine...slightly dirty and animalic, but I tend towards fresh fragrances.

I'm a 23-year old college student in North Carolina - honestly, I feel weird going around wearing a niche fragrance or something overly unique (I'm not opposed to it, but, I'm looking for an everyday scent that I can go play soccer in and go to class in). My favorite scents include Bleu de Chanel, Cartier Roadster Sport, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, Le Male, Allure Homme Sport, Versace Eau Fraiche, Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleu, BVLGARI AQUA, etc.

I also like some "dirty" scents - namely Kouros (But it just has an 80's, hairy chested, all-white wearing, too-much-gold-jewelry- wearing older man vibe). In fact, I love it. I wish there was a wearable, fresh fragrance that had this little note of sexy, of virile. I know I'm starting to sound freaky, but there you go. Girls love it, I like it, why not?

Does anyone know of a fragrance (preferably easily available, not niche so that I could buy it at a duty free, for example) that is fresh, with good longevity and sillage, that has this little bit of "dirty" and "skank"? Something that is summery and wearable daily. It would be my ideal scent.

Think Kouros meets Light Blue or Bleu de Chanel.

I know the experienced noses on this site might be able to help me! It would be greatly appreciated, as I'm looking for a new signature!

Default Re: Dirty, animalic Fresh?

Just a thought - Have you tried Spicebomb yet?

Have you tried the Kouros flankers? (Kouros tattoo, Kouros Cologne Sport...)

Actually Pure Shot may fit the bill here.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Hey, I think Habit Rouge by Guerlain is animalic and fresh/lemony at the same time. Shouldn't be too hard to get. That's just my two cents.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Thanks! I will definitely have to try Habit Rouge.

As for the Kouros Flankers, does anyone know if Cologne Sport has good longevity?

I like the idea of Pure Shot definitely, I read the description and it sounds right up my alley in terms of freshness, didn't know it would have that little bit of dirty though!

M7 Fresh
    Cartier Declaration
    Bvlgari Aqva

Dior's Eau Sauvage.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I second M7

Great suggestions, I loved the original M7, it's one of my favorite scents of all time - it's a shame they discontinued it. I'll have to try the Fresh flanker.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Dior's Eau Sauvage.
    IMO FARANHEIT would be a good one to try. If you read the reviews several mention exactly what you are looking for.

Homme de Gres.

Edit: When I first posted HdG, I thought the title was dry, animalic, fresh, since I wasn't paying close attention and saying dirty and animalic is redundant, so my mind must have assumed dry was a key element.

Banned

Try:

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez - Welcome to the Twilight Zone !! The paltry, note listing belies the complexity of this fragrance. Initially, one is bombarded with a lovely, sweet and woodsy violet, whose brilliance is amplified by aldehydes, an amazing, wet concrete, a graceful wave of petrichor, that special smell of earth, caressed by raindrops after a dry spell, a flint smell and an intense mustiness from the patchouli. This surreal melange is enshrouded by a wet, foresty lushness, with flittering specks of flavorful licorice. The welcoming heart kidnaps the explosive opening and fosters its taming. Lovely violet leaves, with their inherent freshness, inspire an equisitely extreme, green aura akin to grass clippings with a shading of cucumber. Versatile patchouli imparts it nutty and earthy facets. Seductive amber, with its deep, somewhat woody and vanillic dimensions, and white musk, with its dirty sweetness add some powderiness to the blend. The robust base overtakes this humbling middle, where the multifaceted patchouli raises its faintly peppery and herbal heads as well as its mulch-like property. Dry cedar, pencil shavings as well as camphoraceous pine supply intriguing woods. And, evocative, animalic musk, where fecal pellets from critters as well as pubic sweat harmonize, contributes to the fantastical drydown. This extremely masculine and unique composition has very good projection, 4-5 hour scent cloud, and longevity, 7-12 hours - easy on the trigger is the catchphrase here. This atypical fragrance is not for the faint of heart.

I know that you said you prefer designer; however, perhaps, you can save for or get a decant of the following, which appears to on target for what you are seeking:

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris - One is treated initially to a wave of freshness, supplied by the green, somewhat bitter woodiness of oakmoss, akin to a dank forest shadowed by its lush canopy. Resplendent hay with its sweet, yet salty, dried grassiness interplays with the mustiness of the oakmoss and presents a stable-like aura. A nascent skin-like element combines with the fascinating melange and creates the illusion of the nuzzle of a horse with its soft, warm breath. This muskiness intensifies to reflect the alluring lather of a sweaty stallion, at once, wonderfully immersed in the illusion of the magnificent equine. Transitioning to the heart, the animalistic musk marries with the sharply indolic fruitiness of neroli. Sweetish vanilla fashions a faint, carmel undertone to the transformational blend. Flashes of body odor flitter about. The illusion of an unwashed, torpid lover materializes, and segues to the awaiting base. A rich, earthy patchouli infuses the musk mix with pungent mustiness as well as a slight nuttiness, while amber contributes its sweetish incense-laden and vanillic character. The animalistic musk takes on a more dark nuance with the sweetness of pubic sweat. An orgasmic drydown ensues. This well-executed, high-quality composition is a skin scent with good longevity.

I second Dior Eau Sauvage...carry a decant and re-apply from time to time...longevity is weak.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I second Dior Eau Sauvage...carry a decant and re-apply from time to time...longevity is weak.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I think one that fits all of your criteria--apart from being readily available--is Ungaro II.

There is a prominent civet note throughout the life of the fragrance,
    but it is tempered beautifully by exquisite citrus, lavender and vanilla.

Yes, Ungaro II is a great suggestion! I add Citrus Paradisi by Czech and Speake.

Alexander McQueen Kingdom. A cumin bomb with an armpit vibe, with the scent of jasmine.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by turron View Post
    Thanks! I will definitely have to try Habit Rouge.

As for the Kouros Flankers, does anyone know if Cologne Sport has good longevity?

I like the idea of Pure Shot definitely, I read the description and it sounds right up my alley in terms of freshness, didn't know it would have that little bit of dirty though!
    Kouros Cologne Sport is readily available (on line), is relatively inexpensive and a good alternative to Kouros. While it's no where near as 'dirty' controversial as the original Kouros, this one definitley fits your bill. Longevity is better than average for a 'cologne' strength scent generally lasting on me more like an EDT (about 5 hours). The shower gel is fantastic as well!

Kouros Tattoo is also another great variation. This one has more of the civet ('dirty') note than the Cologne Sport variety and last up to about 6 - 7 hours. Although I'm not sure if it's still readily available.

Aside from the Kouros's, you could also try Tommy Bahama Set Sail Martinique. This one has lemon and pepper in to the top notes, but then this amazing musky slightly animalic drydown that to me smells like clean skin that's been swimming and sunning all day.

Why not Kouros? Just change how you think about it. It really comes alive in summer when its really hot.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Serge Noire - Serge Lutens
    L'artisan - Al Oudh

eau sauvage +1
    declaration +1 ( although it might be a bit heavier )
    L'Air de Rien +1

also
    dior diorella ( my top pick )
    and chanel pour monsieur

eau sauvage +1
    declaration +1 ( although it might be a bit heavier )
    L'Air de Rien +1

also
    dior diorella ( my top pick )
    and chanel pour monsieur

I don't want to be critical here, but when someone who may be a newbie asks for something fresh, how does M7 or Ungaro II fit into that idea? Might as well say any men's frag! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Yes, Ungaro II is a great suggestion! I add Citrus Paradisi by Czech and Speake.
    Agree with Ungaro II

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I don't want to be critical here, but when someone who may be a newbie asks for something fresh, how does M7 or Ungaro II fit into that idea? Might as well say any men's frag! LOL.
    Don't you get the blast of lemon alongside the feces?

for swap/sale:

My first thought was Cartier Declaration. And I can't think of anything better, so there you go.

+1 on Citrus Paradisi
    Kouros Fraicheur
    Givenchy III
    Yves Saint Laurent Y
    Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

[Don't you get the blast of lemon alongside the feces?[/QUOTE]

No, I try to avoid top notes, as you probably know by now but even so, if the lemon lasted for more than a few minutes I would still smell it. I don't think the OP wants 10 minutes or less of lemons, because while that may be "fresh," most people who want a fresh frag want the lemon to last a long time (how many BN threads have there been on that subject?). I hope the OP does get Ungaro II and comes back to this thread and provides his opinion about it.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    My first thought was Cartier Declaration. And I can't think of anything better, so there you go.
    I agree that this idea makes the most sense, especially for a newbie. Homme de Gres might be too dry.

+1 Citrus Paradisi by Czech and Speake - Truly horrid fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Why not Kouros? Just change how you think about it. It really comes alive in summer when its really hot.
    It is Kouros that you are looking for, just bring a new mentality and your own swag or is it one of those cases where King Kouros has not chosen you,
    PS: I heard he chooses his subjects.

Citrus Paradisi by Czech and Speake.
    this

+ Cuba C&S
    + Cerruti 1881

arghhhh,

double.

HISTOIRES DE PARFUMS Markiz de Sade

Lush Dirty :0

Ok, I have quite a few to hunt down!

As for me, I'm not completely a newbie (I own 10 bottles) - however, I'm not as familiar with niche scents apart from knowing of them (I don't know how they smell).

King Kouros - is my ideal. I think - It's hard to find here so I haven't really ever smelled it except on my wrist. It was fantastic - however, I'd like to try just one spray on my chest under my shirt on a hot day. Kouros Cologne also sounds perfect, and from reviews Tattoo and Fraicheur are ideal. In fact, it's a pity Fraicheur is so darn hard to find, as it sounds like it is PERFECT.

What set me off Kouros was when I went into a store and asked the sales lady about it and she let me try it, but then said, "a lot of old men buy that one, it's not for someone your age, may I suggest...(Insert random synthetic aquatic here)".

The reason I ask is that I'm looking for a new signature. Moreover, I'm spending the summer in Southern Spain. Whenever I travel, I always buy a new bottle for my trip, to remember that trip by forever.

A lot of you are mentioning Ungaro, Eau Sauvage (my dad has it, should be easy to try), and Declaration.

L'Eau Par Kenzo Indigo you say? Really? I'm going to go try that one definitely. I never thought it would fit the bill, I never even tried it on my skin.

...anyway, temptation always just leads me to thinking of Kouros. I guess it's the little bit of 80's in Kouros that gets to me. But if I only wear one spray, maybe one and a half sprays, it could be fine. Maybe Cologne Sport if it's long lasting, too.

Anyone tried Loewe 7 Natural? I heard that might fit the bill too.

You guys are awesome!

How abou these
    Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Guerlain Jicky
    Givenchy Gentlemen
    Creed Orange Spice

Gendarme V.

To me, this is what human skin SHOULD smell like. Clean, but like a clean animal (civet is among the listed notes).

A hugely underrated fragrance.
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

...Eau de Guerlain is what you are looking for...!

+ ysl pour homme
    + c&s cuba
    you wanna try eau d'hermes too
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Dependent

Lots of good suggestions here.

Very hard to find, but Lancome Programme Homme is terrific -- I think it's exactly what you're looking for. It's like a much lighter, crisper Kouros with fresh green herbal accords over intense ambergris and oakmoss.

The best of the genre is Kouros Fraicheur, if you can find it.

Also you can check YSL Haute Concentration

Damn. I really thought I'd be the first to mention Citrus Paradisi! I recently got the Czech and Speake sample set (10 frags shipped to the US for like $9.50), and the Citrus Paradisi is really unique in that you get the fresh citrus but also a dirty dirty civet. It's kind of a strange fragrance, and not one I'd buy a bottle of, but certainly fulfills the OP's criteria. Fresh but dirty.

Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme Haute Concentration is another idea.

i tried kouros tattoo and found it very weak, almost no smell, i wasn't sure if it was a flanker at first maybe a limited edition bottle but it was not anything that the people here mention about kouros.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    ...you wanna try eau d'hermes too
    Yes, this one!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Agree with Ungaro II

Don't you get the blast of lemon alongside the feces?
    Not sure if humor was intended, but that made me LOL.

I haven't seen Le Labo's Rose 31 mentioned yet. I'm not sure if it totally qualifies as "fresh," but it's a nice masculine floral with a good dose of cumin stank.

I see Eau Sauvage listed quite a few times...I wear the Frachieur Cuir version of it quite a bit, and it toes the line between fresh and funky very well. I think you'd like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...Eau de Guerlain is what you are looking for...!
    This reminds me....I owned Eau Du Coq for a while, and it smelled pretty much like lemons and urine on me. Might work better for someone with a different skin chemistry.

MFK Absolue Pour Le Soir

Tom Ford Urban Musk

I also like when fragrances mix well with my skin chemistry and enhance it/become a part of it.
    ISO E Super is a molecule that results in this effect, i.e. amplifies your own body odor. It also has a fresh woody smell of its own. It is abundant in Encre Noire, which incidentally is very wallet friendly too.

If you feel up to it you can buy the substance itself and make your own Molecule 01.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Rochas' Moustache (especially the vintage concentree). Cumin/civet-dirty, yet retains the freshness of citrus.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

+100 YSL PH. The original stuff, not the new La Collection reformulation (that has a completely different set of notes, similar idea but not the same fragrance at all). Often called "sweaty lemons", but more like a whole lemon grove, a herb garden... plus the fresh sweat of an animal.

Dependent

Eau de Guerlain has a very rich musk drydown and a gorgeous fresh dry green citrus opening.

I have to say I'm quite impressed by all these suggestions. OP, take note!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Rochas' Moustache (especially the vintage concentree). Cumin/civet-dirty, yet retains the freshness of citrus.
    this is also great.
    you can't go wrong with any roudnitska in this genre.

I recently liked Guerlain's Arsène Lupin very much for its combination of animalic and fresh notes (although not aquatic, if that's what you're looking for). I especially think a fan of Kouros would enjoy it.
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 8th May 2012 at 06:14 PM.

Dependent

Omg this stuff is nasty!! Very good suggestion for the thread though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I recently liked Guerlain's Arsène Lupin very much for its combination of animalic and fresh notes (although not aquatic, if that's what you're looking for). I especially think a fan of Kouros would enjoy it.
    Voyou or Dandy?

What you need is Eau Sauvage by Dior, just slightly skanky (think it's the hedione or jasmine). You might also try Pour Monsieur by Chanel.
    If you like it skankier try Eau d'Hermès!

I'm really eager to try Eau D'Hermes, Eau De Guerlain, and especially Eau Sauvage now. I'll admit that I've seen Eau Sauvage countless times and have ALWAYS rejected it completely - as in, I've smelled every Dior men's fragrance (excluding the Dior Homme fragrances like Eau Blanche and Eau Noir, which I have yet to try), EXCEPT for this one. I guess I had an image of Eau Sauvage being for an older gentleman, I'm talking 70 years old.

The image of the bottle and advertising led me to believe that this was in no way a scent for a 23 year old college student.

This is the same reason I bought Rive Gauche because I found a very cheap bottle, but only wear it to bed just to be able to at least use it (way too Barbershop).

I honestly wish Light Blue, or a much (much, much, much) more potent Versace Eau Fraiche had civet in it, or some kind of SKANK, and that M7 was never discontinued.

Eau Sauvage, hello!
    Last edited by turron; 8th May 2012 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I really want to try Arsene Lupin, too bad it's so expensive and hard to find. Also, 995 posts - almost there Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post

Voyou or Dandy?
    I believe Arsene Lupin Dandy was renamed to simply Arsene Lupin, while Voyou is still called Voyou.

OP, I find Frederic Malle Bigarade Concentree to smell like citrus and warm skin. It definitely has an animalic side on me. I don't see others describing it as such, but to me, BC might fulfill what you're looking for.

Try Kiehl's musk. It's definitely animalic and fresh. Another excellent masculine civet fragrance is Bal A Versailles, which was originally developed for women. It is like muscs koublai khan with various resins and the aroma of a snuffed out candle. Very signature-worthy.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme