Code of Conduct

Default Has anyone tried vintage Lapidus Pour Homme (1987) ?

From what I can tell the bottle should say 85% Vol on the front. Otherwise they look the same. I detect no sandalwood in the newest version but it's listed as a note, I'm really interested in this because the LPH I have has the most most massive top notes yet there's nothing behind them, and I'm guessing vintage is either different or a lot better.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 21st June 2012 at 02:59 AM.

Default Re: Has anyone tried vintage Lapidus Pour Homme ?

Okay, I acquired some of the vintage and wore it normally for the first time today. It smells similar but not as strong. However, it was soon apparent that vintage isn't as dense and is slightly "transparent," unlike the new one, which is about as dense a frag as I've ever experienced. Vintage is also drier, and over time I think I detect some "solid" basenotes, like sandalwood, whereas the new version seems to just be monstrous top notes and nothing of note in the base. This is consistent with what I've found with most such frags (Oscar Pour Lui and Third Man are good examples), though with Lagerfeld Classic, it's so bad I don't even want to take the cap off and smell it (most like because they tried to replicate the smell of opoponax on the cheap, failing miserably, IMO). Perry Ellis for Men was reformulated fairly well, though into something quite different from the vintage version, by contrast.

Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Have the one in the link. Good stuff, but don't smell that much difference from the one in the grey bottle which I also have.

No I'm talking about the 1987 one, which has that strong pineapple note up front.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post

Default Re: Has anyone tried vintage Lapidus Pour Homme (1987) ?

The 1987 vintage lapidus is much more complex than the reformulated ones we see in store these days. The smell of the vintage '87 is more traditional 80's powerhouse IMO. If you're a big fan of Lapidus Pour Homme then you should get the 80's classic version because you will notice the difference straight away. I have both bottles.

I'm trying to post the picture to compare the two but basenotes is not letting me. If you can help let me know

If you use a site like photobucket you just upload the pics and then click on copy. Then when you write up a post here, you do a Control-V to pasted it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Freschi View Post
    The 1987 vintage lapidus is much more complex than the reformulated ones we see in store these days. The smell of the vintage '87 is more traditional 80's powerhouse IMO. If you're a big fan of Lapidus Pour Homme then you should get the 80's classic version because you will notice the difference straight away. I have both bottles.

I'm trying to post the picture to compare the two but basenotes is not letting me. If you can help let me know

Thanks a lot. Here are the pics:

Left = current bottle, Right = 80's bottle.

80's bottle close up
    [IMG]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/dscn0410p.jpg/[/IMG]
    Last edited by Freschi; 1st August 2012 at 05:46 AM.