Code of Conduct

Default Sandalwood scents

Hi all,

I've tried Lutens' Santal de Mysore, but there's nary a whiff of sandalwood but only spices. It's strongly redolent of Indian curry, and it's just not something I want to smell like.

I've also sampled Santal Blush, but didn't get much sandalwood from it either.

I was hoping for recommendations for scents with a prominent sandalwood note, which isn't too gourmand/spicy.

Default Re: Sandalwood scents

Sandalwood is one of my favourite fragrance components. I own several sandalwood based scents and would like to add few more to my collection.

here are some of softer (since you find SL's Santal de Mysore too curry like) sandalwood based fragrances:

Van Cleef & Arples Automne
    Santal Blanc by SL
    Tam Dao by Diptique - I really want to add this sandalwood fragrance to my collection.

queen of the universe

This is hard to find: Myrurgia Maderas de Oriente. I have a huge bottle of the "locion" concentration. I find it to be a straight-ahead sandalwood, tho there is some bitterness as it dries. Here's another take on it.

PM me if you'd like a 2 ml sample.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I second Tam Dao, which is a kind of dry sandalwood scent mixed with Cedarwood.

Basenotes Institution

+1 Tam Dao.
    Also you could sample Profumum Santalum.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

oops, double post.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 27th May 2012 at 05:18 AM.

Mysore sandalwood is more or less gone but these are pretty good, IMO:

Bois des Iles (Chanel) EDT & Extrait
    Samsara (Guerlain) older the better but current is still okay.

Amouage Sandalwood Attar gives me the sense of some santalum album oil with a subtle 'lift' - very good stuff.

Most stuff with Santal in the name these days is reliant on the Australian / Pacific variety (nothing like Mysore), synthetic sandalwood approximations and often some cedar thrown in or a bit of all of these.

Santal Noble is the best of the niche offerings IMO, altho not a true sandalwood - I prefer it to Tam Dao and the Villoresi & Etro Sandalos. Haven't tried the Lutens Mysore but Santal Blanc doesn't do it for me at all. Santal Massoia is lovely but not a sandalwood IMO. I find more sandalwood in the latter stages of Tiffany for Men than most of these, but that might just be wishful thinking on my part

I just thought of another sandalwood scent. Although, some may disagree, I suggest Idole by Lubin - plenty of sandalwood in this fragrance according to my nose. This sandalwood is boozy and smoky at the same time.

NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by whimsicaldiva View Post
    Hi all,

I've tried Lutens' Santal de Mysore, but there's nary a whiff of sandalwood but only spices. It's strongly redolent of Indian curry, and it's just not something I want to smell like.

I've also sampled Santal Blush, but didn't get much sandalwood from it either.

I was hoping for recommendations for scents with a prominent sandalwood note, which isn't too gourmand/spicy.
    The sandalwood in Santal Blush is reminiscent of the sandalwood in Santal 33 and Santal Massoia. Apparently its a new derivative ingredient from non-mysore sandalwood. I perceive it as less woodier and more creamier.

For true sandalwood renditions try Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi , Santal Noble by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier and Tam Dao. Tam Dao being the softest, tamest and creamiest of the three.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 27th May 2012 at 05:51 AM.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

l agree with mr. reasonable on Samsara. Actually l really enjoy the modern EDP; to me it has a stronger, richer & creamier sandalwood note.

Santal 33 is also strong & very long-lasting, but more cedar-like to my nose.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Creed's Santal Imperial is a softer smelling Mysore sandalwood that is a great unisex. This sandalwood stands out and you don't have to wonder if it's there. It's a beautiful smelling fragrance that is a bit hard to find now as I believe it has been discontinued. But the last I checked, Neiman-Marcus still had it available online.

+1 for Samsara.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I love sandalwood.

As has been suggested:

Santal Noble
    Tam Dao
    Santal Imperial(try to get an older bottle)
    Santal Blanc
    Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood is quite nice.

Now to be honest you need to nose round the men's selection to find some.
    DONNA

Speaking of men's selection of sandalwood based fragrances... Really nice sandalwood in Allure Homme Edition Blanche. This particular sandalwood is very soft and silky on me.

You might also try Ava Luxe No. 23.

My suggestions may seem strange, but they are stunningly beautiful sandalwood fragrances on my skin:
    Bal a Versailles by Jean Desprez
    Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie

My suggestions may seem strange, but they are stunningly beautiful sandalwood fragrances on my skin:
    Bal a Versailles by Jean Desprez
    Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie by Creed
    Sandalo e The by Bois 1920

Basenotes Institution

+1 for Bois des Iles in both EDT and extrait.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Madini Santal Blanc oil is lovely and for an even cheaper thrill, try dragonflyblue.com sandalwood oil, her amber oil is great as well.

On the "men's" side you've also got Egoiste. Quite similar to Bois des iles, but less aldehydes and more cinnamon and coriander.

+1 for Tam Dao (my personal favorite)

Also, 10 Corso Como -- sandalwood + incense. My runner-up personal favorite.