Code of Conduct

Default Lumière Noire Pour Homme Longevity/Projection Questions

I'm very close to purchasing a FB of Lumière Noire.

My concern is its staying power. It seems to fade on me within a couple of hours.

Not sure if I'm just experiencing anosmia, or if I just haven't sprayed enough on - as I've been trying to make the samples last.

Thanks for any insights.

Default Re: Lumière Noire Pour Homme Longevity/Projection Questions

Better than average longevity on my skin with three sprays.

Banned

Lumiere Noire pour Homme has average projection and very good longevity.

Average on both counts; but I think it remains perceptible to others around (I'm finding this with all of my MFK bottles) just not the wearer so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    Average on both counts; but I think it remains perceptible to others around (I'm finding this with all of my MFK bottles) just not the wearer so much.
    Right. This is exactly my experience with the exception of APLS which is on a different level IMO.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sound Scents

Average projection, but longevity is truly excellent.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

The star of the show opening notes of rose and patchouli with spice last for three to four hours on my skin then it morphs into a delightful white musk that lasts most of the day on me. As others have said the projection is average.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Right. This is exactly my experience with the exception of APLS which is on a different level IMO.
    I was just coming back to edit my post to say just this! In the process of sampling APLS and it seems to last well into the next day.

Lumiere Noire is quite a transparent scent. It is not a sillage monster but it is definitely noticeable, average I suppose. Longevity is great.

I would say it has below average projection and above average longevity.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Average projection and above average longevity on my skin...

Thanks for all the comments; they are helpful.

What I'm finding is that the rose/mugwort accord, which is what I love about LN, doesn't last for more than 2 hours on me. I can smell the subtle, clean musky base for quite a long time.

Unfortunately, it's the rose/mugwort accord that I love, not the musk base. Which I find a little too subtle for me.

Perhaps MFK will do an Absolu version of LN - I think I'm going to wait.

As far as the others in the line go, I find the notes in Cologne Pour Le Soir to be both long lasting, and quite noticeable during its entire duration.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 27th May 2012 at 03:59 PM.

Slightly below average projection and longevity.

I've adapted to using this when I have short errands to run or brief outings.

I don't wear it to work as I'm there for 8 hours and it would frustrate me if I can no longer smell it after 3 hours.
    Most of my perfumes project for a good 6 hours on average.

for swap/sale:

I had average projection and good longevity. I had to really press my nose into my arm in order to smell it after the three hour mark but others could still smell a scent trail. I think you may have to go light on this one because of the anosmia factor that I get with this one.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Daze View Post
    Average projection and above average longevity on my skin...
    Make that incredible longevity, it's now 18 hours after application and Lumiere Noir pour Homme is still clearly detectable on my skin. Wow!

Also, I would say after wearing this fragrance a few more times that projection is definitely above average on my skin too, received a lot of compliments already with only a few sprays...

Edit: More than 25 hours after application now and it's still there. This is just insane, never had this with any other fragrance...
    Last edited by Daze; 3rd June 2012 at 06:35 PM.

I noticed something strange. It seems that the Lumiere Noire pour Homme from my full bottle projects a lot less than the one from my sample. I also noticed that on my sample, which is an original spray sample directly from Maison Francis Kurkdjian, it says 'Eau de Parfum'. That's pretty weird since this fragrance is an 'Eau de Toilette', which is also printed on the box and mentioned on the MFK website. But I really do notice a pretty big difference, could it possibly be that the fragrance was originally intended to be an EdP and was later changed to an EdT but samples were already produced with the EdP?

Seems far-fetched I know, but the juice from the sample is a projection monster on me and the juice from the bottle is much tamer. Not that I'm complaining, I think I prefer the 'tamer' version because the projection of the sample was sometimes a little too much for me. Also, I couldn't understand why people were talking about this fragrance in terms of 'airy', 'transparant', 'ethereal' while on me it was pretty thick and heavy. Now that I smell it from the bottle I kinda understand what they meant because it fits the description much better...

Average/Average.

I noticed something strange. It seems that the Lumiere Noire pour Homme from my full bottle projects a lot less than the one from my sample. I also noticed that on my sample, which is an original spray sample directly from Maison Francis Kurkdjian, it says 'Eau de Parfum'. That's pretty weird since this fragrance is an 'Eau de Toilette', which is also printed on the box and mentioned on the MFK website.
    Hmm I'm curious to hear from others that have an EdP sample and EdT bottle. I wouldn't mind an EdP version of Lumiere Noir pour Homme.

I noticed something strange. It seems that the Lumiere Noire pour Homme from my full bottle projects a lot less than the one from my sample. I also noticed that on my sample, which is an original spray sample directly from Maison Francis Kurkdjian, it says 'Eau de Parfum'. That's pretty weird since this fragrance is an 'Eau de Toilette', which is also printed on the box and mentioned on the MFK website. But I really do notice a pretty big difference, could it possibly be that the fragrance was originally intended to be an EdP and was later changed to an EdT but samples were already produced with the EdP?
    Sure the sample you got is pour homme, not femme?

Like the majority of competent fragrances, it has all it needs.

It appears to have become the dominant concern, but it'll be a great day when people can discuss fragrances without using the term "projection and longevity".

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Like the majority of competent fragrances, it has all it needs.

It appears to have become the dominant concern, but it'll be a great day when people can discuss fragrances without using the term "projection and longevity".
    Thats a very good point you make there. I am always willing to sacrifice longevity but projection is imperative. A perfume lasts 3 hours? No issue, I'll wear it to a 3 hour rendezvous. But if it doesn't project, whats the point of wearing perfume?

for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Fragrance projection is a matter of personal style/preference; there is no right or wrong here. I enjoy subtle teasing whiffs of fragrance and gets self-conscious if my SotD projects too strongly, so 'projection' or lack thereof is seldom an issue. But I can appreciate it if someone prefers a stronger aura of fragrance. I'll just keep my distance, that's all.

I concur with Kevin's observations on LNPH and CPLS, the latter especially is a surprising beast with above average projection & longevity.

For me, LNPH has amazing projection and longevity. After buying the bottle, I have had to double check it several times to make sure its an EDT because it always surprises me just how strong it is. I've went through about 1/3 of the bottle and love it every time I wear it. It definitely last all day on me.... and strong at that.

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    Sure the sample you got is pour homme, not femme?
    Yep, absolutely sure:

By the way, my sample of APOM pour Homme also says 'Eau de parfum' while it's an Eau de Toilette so it could be just a printing 'error' and all samples say 'Eau de parfum'. But like I said my sample of LNpH is definitely a lot stronger than my full bottle which is strange...

Edit: Well, funny enough the postman just brought me the remaining samples I ordered from MFK including 'Cologne pour le Soir' and 'Cologne pour le Matin' and both of these samples also say 'Eau de parfum', so apparently that's printed on ALL of the MFK samples. Still doesn't explain the big difference between the sample and full bottle of LnPH though...
    Last edited by Daze; 23rd June 2012 at 09:51 AM.

Banned

By the way, my sample of APOM pour Homme also says 'Eau de parfum' while it's an Eau de Toilette [...].
    Same here. And it smelles different, too, compared to the bottle. Somewhat like an Eau de parfum should. Since I like the juice from the bottle, too, I stopped thinking about it. Maybe you're right with the explanation of a spelling error.

Yep, absolutely sure:
    Well, funny enough the postman just brought me the remaining samples I ordered from MFK including 'Cologne pour le Soir' and 'Cologne pour le Matin' and both of these samples also say 'Eau de parfum', so apparently that's printed on ALL of the MFK samples. Still doesn't explain the big difference between the sample and full bottle of LnPH though...
    Haha, you know what?! Just took a look of those samples that i have here, and it does have a "eau de parfum" print on every single one of them, even the one on Aqua Universalis. (pretty sure is not "Forte", different color juice).

You guys should contact MFK and ask them about the differences between samples and full bottles.

Oops..just double checked on MFK's site, Aqua Universalis is indeed EdP, but not Lumiere Noire homme.

I'm finding that this doesn't seem very noticeable at all on my skin after about 4 hours or so, yet it seems to be the general concensus that its a longevity beast of a scent. It does seem detectable on a shirt i sprayed as a test after 3 days though. Could it be that it just doesn't blend well with my skin? Or is olfactory fatigue the likely cause? I've been going with a spray to each wrist, one to the chest and two on the neck. I've had similar longevity issues with Lyric Man too. Another rose scent universally praised for its staying power!

Quote Originally Posted by sdmilne View Post
    I'm finding that this doesn't seem very noticeable at all on my skin after about 4 hours or so, yet it seems to be the general concensus that its a longevity beast of a scent. It does seem detectable on a shirt i sprayed as a test after 3 days though. Could it be that it just doesn't blend well with my skin? Or is olfactory fatigue the likely cause? I've been going with a spray to each wrist, one to the chest and two on the neck. I've had similar longevity issues with Lyric Man too. Another rose scent universally praised for its staying power!

I am guessing it is olfactory fatigue. I have Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, and it lasts a long time. You could probably try this: Don't spray on your neck where you will be smelling it all the time -- try just spraying on your wrists/arms so you are not constantly breathing it in. Then sample your wrists ever half hour or so and see how long you can continue to smell it - that should help you determine if it is OF, or you just aren't getting much longevity out of it. Or you could ask someone if they can smell it on you.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I am guessing it is olfactory fatigue. I have Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, and it lasts a long time. You could probably try this: Don't spray on your neck where you will be smelling it all the time -- try just spraying on your wrists/arms so you are not constantly breathing it in. Then sample your wrists ever half hour or so and see how long you can continue to smell it - that should help you determine if it is OF, or you just aren't getting much longevity out of it. Or you could ask someone if they can smell it on you.

what's the point of longevity without projection.

its worth nothing if longevity is 17 hours on skin but stops projecouting after 3 hours.

the general consensus is that projection is poor.

that said, i still love it & wear it to short occasions our casually at home.

for swap/sale:

I get great longevity and great projection as well--my wife could smell it as soon as I stepped in the door after 8 hours or so. It could also be skin type.

I just came across a semi-vintage bottle of Fahrenheit (from 1998) and I put it on and poof, after 2-3 hours it's undetectable on my skin. Such a shame because I love it! But skin types do make a surprising amount of difference as well.

Great frag.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Great frag.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    what's the point of longevity without projection.

its worth nothing if longevity is 17 hours on skin but stops projecouting after 3 hours.

the general consensus is that projection is poor.

that said, i still love it & wear it to short occasions our casually at home.
    To me, longevity is much more important than projection. Always has been and always will be. I wear scents for myself, not for others, so if I can still smell what I'm wearing after 10 hours or more, but others can't, I'm fine with that.

Wore Lumiere Noire again and it seems to be a different story. Applied it around 6pm last night and as of noon, I can still smell it faintly on my wrists. It seemed to vanish and then come back.

Also, on the subject of longevity/projection, I've read so many people say that Frapin 1270 is terrible on both counts, but I've found the complete opposite. There are few scents where I notice the smell like a cloud around me quite as much as this one and its still going strong on my wrists the next day. Look like I got lucky with my skin type on that one and I'm glad as its incredible stuff!

To me, longevity is much more important than projection. Always has been and always will be. I wear scents for myself, not for others, so if I can still smell what I'm wearing after 10 hours or more, but others can't, I'm fine with that.

Wore Lumiere Noire again and it seems to be a different story. Applied it around 6pm last night and as of noon, I can still smell it faintly on my wrists. It seemed to vanish and then come back.

Also, on the subject of longevity/projection, I've read so many people say that Frapin 1270 is terrible on both counts, but I've found the complete opposite. There are few scents where I notice the smell like a cloud around me quite as much as this one and its still going strong on my wrists the next day. Look like I got lucky with my skin type on that one and I'm glad as its incredible stuff!
    You've confused projection with sillage. Sillage is the trail you leave.
    Projection is the bit where you smell the perfume. How strong projection is can be measured by how strongly you can smell the perfume when completely stationary.

for swap/sale:

You've confused projection with sillage. Sillage is the trail you leave.
    Projection is the bit where you smell the perfume. How strong projection is can be measured by how strongly you can smell the perfume when completely stationary.
    Either way, longevity is still one of the most important aspects of any scent to me.

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Lumiere Noire is quite a transparent scent. It is not a sillage monster but it is definitely noticeable, average I suppose. Longevity is great.

Either way, longevity is still one of the most important aspects of any scent to me.

so you're saying you'd rather lift various body parts to your nose to smell your perfume as opposed to smelling it through projection.

cool. i suggest you take yoga classes. it'll help with stretching.

for swap/sale:

From reading above I apparently get an unusual amount of projection with this one. I can smell it radiating off my own skin without reaching to smell it for 6-8 hours easily; 10-12 hours longevity. Very good performance on this one (and a great scent).
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

so you're saying you'd rather lift various body parts to your nose to smell your perfume as opposed to smelling it through projection.

cool. i suggest you take yoga classes. it'll help with stretching.

I would say that in general, at least in my experience, after a while the only way you can get a decent whiff of what you are wearing IS to smell your wrist or whatever. If after a few hours you are still enveloped in a cloud of scent then you are most probably wearing far too much and will just be annoying those around you.