Code of Conduct

Default Royal Oud by Creed vs New York Oud by Bond vs Memoir Man by Amouga - Help Me Pick 1 !!

Guys,
    Please be kind enough to guide me to pick 1 - I am busting my wallet of late, and the smart thing
    is to own 1 Oud based fragrance I've shortlisted this three - but can't seem to decide between these,
    as i LOVE EM ALL! Your contribution is very much valued.

I live in a humid country which has a Tropical climate.

Default Re: Royal Oud by Creed vs New York Oud by Bond vs Memoir Man by Amouga - Help Me Pick 1 !!

I normally do not like Creed´s scents.
    Milesimé Imperial is my preferred.
    GIT, so, so.
    BUT bear in mind :
    Their OUD is just crème de la crème and IMHO one of the best in the market.
    I received many compliments .
    Enjoy it, all the way.

Default Re: Royal Oud by Creed vs New York Oud by Bond vs Memoir Man by Amouga - Help Me Pick 1 !!

Of the three NY Oud, Memoir man is not really oud centric IMO. These are all heavy in a humid climate.

my choice between the three would be Memoir, but i don't think Memoir has oud in it.

I understand - i did try Memoir Man and NY Oud - they do fairly well than say, M7 Oud by YSL.
    I do not wish to really get into full bodied Oud, as it can become always unworkable in such climates.

Royal Oud by Creed

Royal Oud by Creed

New York Oud by a landslide, Royal Oud is too synthetic for my liking , to me its quite identical to M7 fresh, so its just better to get that at a fraction of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    New York Oud by a landslide, Royal Oud is too synthetic for my liking , to me its quite identical to M7 fresh, so its just better to get that at a fraction of the cost.
    Yes, I agree, New York Oud wins.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I am really leaning towards New York Oud right now but the price is just so crazy

I hate it when people don't answer the question the thread proposes! but . . .

I like Memoir Man best, but there is no oud in it. If you are after an incense and spice heavy scent you might try Jubilation XXV - very nice.
    NY Oud is more roses and saffron + synthetic oud - not quite as good as Midnight Oud by Juliette Has A Gun, but both are good.
    Royal Oud is more about spice, leather, and amber than it is oud. If you like this tone of scent best, try Spicebomb - I think it is superior to Royal Oud for this kind of spice leather scent.

Why So Serious?

New York Oud is a better oud fragrance. Royal Oud is my favorite fragrance among the 3. Memoir Man is a great incense fragrance.

Depends on what you want, you want more oud go with NYO, you want a great overall fragrance go with Royal Oud. You want more subtley and a tad mysteriousness, go with Memoir.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

HackerX you summed it up nicely for me! thanks.

Among the ones you mentioned I definitely prefer Memoir Man which contains no oud though...Just out of my curiosity, why your choice is restriced to those three? If you want an oud-based fragrance, there are much better options out there...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Incidentally I own all 3. I like Memoir best but I don't think it should be counted as an oud frag as mentioned above.
    As for your choice, I think Royal Oud...mainly because you live in a humid country. Both New York Oud and Memoir would be far too heavy IMO

New York Oud by a country mile

Creed Royal oud, though Memoir is also great.

Alfarom - because out of most i sampled, i seem to like these 3; i'd buy all three for the heck of it but that would border insanity, The Middle Eastern guy at the Amouage Boutique says, Memoir is some what an Oud-Incense based fragrance done for the 21st century, i took his word for it - but it doesnt bother me, as i loved the smell.

There might be others out there, but i am unwilling to blind-buy anything i've not tested before.
    Last edited by benzganesh; 27th May 2012 at 10:43 PM.

cool then...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 28th May 2012 at 12:07 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Among the ones you mentioned I definitely prefer Memoir Man which contains no oud though...Just out of my curiosity, why your choice is restriced to those three? If you want an oud-based fragrance, there are much better options out there...
    This is the truth of the matter. If you really want something good with oud, or even something that has oud in it at all, you should expand your search. There are much better choices of fragrances with oud.

Basenotes Plus

Just to put my money where my mouth is. Or rather YOUR money where my mouth is:

Montale Dark Oud
    Dior Leather Oud
    By Kilian Pure Oud (my personal favorite)
    Amouage Epic
    Kurkdjian Oud
    Roja Dove Aoud
    Xerjoff Gao
    M7
    Bond No. 9 Harrods Oud

These are all better oud centered fragrances than the three you've mentioned. Memoir Man whatever
    one may think of it doesn't really qualify as an oud centered scent. Listed below are three other Oud centered
    fragances that have many partisans, myself not included, but all are first rate quality:

Montale Black Oud
    Le Labo Oud 27
    Mona di Orio Oud

Dear Dernier,
    Thank you for your wonderful list, unfortunately i live in a climate that doesn't facilitate the usage of most oud based
    fragrance, I found the Bond No.9 Harrods Oud, a bit heavy, Kurkidjian's Oud is not my cup of tea, i shortlisted these because
    i liked all three, but going bonkers on which one would fit a long term purchase!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    Dear Dernier,
    Thank you for your wonderful list, unfortunately i live in a climate that doesn't facilitate the usage of most oud based
    fragrance, I found the Bond No.9 Harrods Oud, a bit heavy, Kurkidjian's Oud is not my cup of tea, i shortlisted these because
    i liked all three, but going bonkers on which one would fit a long term purchase!
    In that case............................Hmm...........Hmm. .........Royal Oud. Good wearing.
    Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 30th May 2012 at 07:56 PM.

I'm intrigued by this new house "Amouga". Tell me more
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    I'm intrigued by this new house "Amouga". Tell me more
    Oh, they're a shameless Amouage knockoff house.

Royal Oud - Because it will work better in very humid weather.

if you like Bond's New York Oud have you tried Midnight Oud by Juliette has a gun? I think it's way better than the Bond's if you're into the Oud/Rose scents

creed Royal Oud

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Yes, I agree, New York Oud wins.
    By far.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

I am really leaning towards New York Oud right now but the price is just so crazy
    great prices for it on ebay. dont know if they will ship to you though.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    great prices for it on ebay. dont know if they will ship to you though.
    You got that right. $170
    Not bad at all...
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

NY Oud
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

My vote goes to Memoir, although it is not an oud fragrance as others have noted.

NY Oud is more sweet and unisex than Royal Oud, and features more oud as well. Royal Oud is more of a dry, masculine, leather and spice kind of scent where the oud is more of a supportive player. Can't go wrong with either of them, it just depends what you want.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

I like Memoir Man and have no problem with it in HK summer but it ain't oud. Tried the Creed and it felt a bit bland to me, haven't tried the other one. Dior Leather Oud and their new one might be worth a look before you pull the trigger?

according to amouage its incense-oud, oh well may be.. connoisseurs might know better than hopeless salesmen..HK climate same as Malaysia..reason why i shortlisted it..

Royal Oud

I like all of them, but Memoir Man by Amouage is the best of the three fragrances.

I've not tried Royal Oud, but I think New York Oud would do well in the heat (it has that sexual undercurrent with the animalic honey, and these types of scents tend to really come to life with heat), whereas I don't find Memoir as satisfying in hot weather as I do in cool weather.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I think Julliette Has Gun's Mid Night Oud is lovely.

If you want to go more luxurious, Micallef's Royal Oud is my favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    NY Oud is more roses and saffron + synthetic oud - not quite as good as Midnight Oud by Juliette Has A Gun, but both are good.
    You honestly like Midnight Oud better than NY Oud? I find that NY Oud has a lot more going on, and is more vibrant, lively, fun, sexy.. you name it. Midnight Oud seems so middle of the road in every category that it doesn't really say much of anything. That's also the problem, to a lesser extent, with Micallef's Aoud. Too blended/refined for its own good. It is good, but it's kind of boring, too.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

according to amouage its incense-oud, oh well may be.. connoisseurs might know better than hopeless salesmen..HK climate same as Malaysia..reason why i shortlisted it..
    It's the smoky embers frankincense after the incredible dark green opening is that really defines this one for me, quite stark but beautiful.

Guys - I am now leaning more towards Amouage's "Memoir" , I had New York Oud sprayed on me the the whole day today, and indeed a little disappointing, did well in the heat but really can't stand the head-ache inducing synthetic oud, it smells so chemical-ish..middle notes are beautiful though, but i guess not enough for the price tag...dry down is ok - i think even Oud Absolu M7 by YSL beats this buy a slim margin....- i shall also visit Arabian Oud tomorrow..

Sur la Plage

Any of them except Royal Dud.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Harrods Swarovski is the best oud from Bond no.9. So since thats not one of the options...Creed Royal Oud takes it for me.