Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Gentleman Eau de Toilette

I am looking to buy a bottle 100ml, I used this years ago and I remember I liked it, looks like it has been reformulated and repackaged,

Is it still a good frag, has it good longevity?

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman Eau de Toilette

I am not a purist, typically, when it comes to reformulations, but in this instance I have to state that the vintage is miles ahead of the newer rendition. Get the vintage juice (available online for reasonable prices). The new stuff smells flatter and weaker and is more linear.

The new stuff is still very good with the leather opening leading to the lovely patchouli and the musky basenotes. I get nine to ten hours longevity. See if you can smell it from a tester in store.

Even the current version has retained longevity and classic elegance.

As I said, I did use it quite a lot, years ago, as long as it is similar I might risk a purchase, it`s a good price at the moment, and it`s on my list to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Agree.

The current version is good too.
    Givenchy is one of the best houses so far .
    Please, see their : Vetiver ( one of the best in the market ), Monsieur de Givenchy ( top flight citrus ) Xeryus, and Insensé ( male floral...)....

Quote Originally Posted by aldo milani View Post
    The current version is good too.
    Givenchy is one of the best houses so far .
    Please, see their : Vetiver ( one of the best in the market ), Monsieur de Givenchy ( top flight citrus ) Xeryus, and Insensé ( male floral...)....
    I love Givenchy frags, I have Xeryus Rouge (dont like Xeryus) I adore Insensé, this is my fave, I have 3 bottles of Insensé not the first but the 2nd, but I found a seller on eBay selling a sealed 50ml original, I just had to buy it, I need help........

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    I am not a purist, typically, when it comes to reformulations, but in this instance I have to state that the vintage is miles ahead of the newer rendition. Get the vintage juice (available online for reasonable prices). The new stuff smells flatter and weaker and is more linear.
    May I ask a silly question : how do you make sure to get the vintage juice when you order on line ? I find the reformulated version of Gentleman still acceptable but not as good as the original one, by far , and would like to get a vintage one...

Quote Originally Posted by russellneal View Post
    i am looking to buy a bottle 100ml, i used this years ago and i remember i liked it, looks like it has been reformulated and repackaged,

is it still a good frag, has it good longevity?
    a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y

Banned

The vintage Givenchy Gentleman is unparalleled.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    The vintage Givenchy Gentleman is unparalleled.
    Absolutely superb and a true classic for certain. It will always be in my wardrobe.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    and projection and quality ...... and

This is one reformulation I don't mind. If you can get the vintage, great, but I have both and find the newer still classy and elegant.
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    how do you make sure to get the vintage juice when you order on line ?
    The vintage stuff has different packaging, typically a silver label that wraps the entire bottle like the attached picture.
    http://www.basenotes.net/attachment....4&d=1338246414

I have tried the newer formulation, and...no. Unwearable for me. But I understand - and have no reason to doubt - that the vintage formulation is sublime.

I am a devotee of Monsieur de Givenchy, however; my favourite of this house, and one I mean to always wear..

The current one disappears on my skin and clothes in about an hour at the most.

This is a fragrance I hated initially (smelled of old hamper) but learned to love. I want to try the vintage.
    Last edited by cannotavoidtrite; 29th May 2012 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cannotavoidtrite View Post

This is a fragrance I hated initially (smelled of old hamper) but learned to love. I want to try the vintage.
    GONE in an hour

Holy Moses...it disappears on you in an hour ? It probably doesn't like you Seriously thought, this fragrance in its reformulated self, lasts hours and hours on me. Its one strong beast. I really feel it is just your nose, but that is just my opinion. Perhaps the bottle you have is just gone bad. It happens. I just cannot imagine GG lasting such a short period of time.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Surfacing: Most fragrances have no staying power on my skin but on clothes it should have the same staying power for all and this one doesn't for me. I have asked others, so it's just not my nose, to see if they smell it on me after about an hour and they don't.

I wonder if I have a bad bottle now.

I wonder if I have a bad bottle now.
    Not at all. I had the same issues recently and I bought my bottle directly from Givenchy. Within an hour it dwindles down into a faint honeysuckle scent that is barely detectable. I gave my bottle away.

It is upsetting since the initial blast is extremely promising.

I have both the reformulation and the vintage. I like them both and perhaps I like the reformulation a little more than the vintage as the Patchouli is more prominent. In the vintage I get a more animalistic note and it is a tad richer overall, though the longevity is in no way superior to the reformulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Russellneal View Post
    I am looking to buy a bottle 100ml, I used this years ago and I remember I liked it, looks like it has been reformulated and repackaged,

Is it still a good frag, has it good longevity?
    how many years ago? it was reformulated over a decade ago. the new stuff makes me cringe. there are some thread where you can read about the difference, both in odor and packaging (the latter comes in very handy to recognise the vintage).

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-e-mental View Post
    I have both the reformulation and the vintage. I like them both and perhaps I like the reformulation a little more than the vintage as the Patchouli is more prominent. In the vintage I get a more animalistic note and it is a tad richer overall, though the longevity is in no way superior to the reformulation.
    I have the vintage and the current versions and this is very close to my feelings on them both. I often just wear both together to get the best of both worlds.

GG is quickly becoming one of my very favorite perfumes. Probably in my top 5.
    Mark K

Cool Re: Givenchy Gentleman Eau de Toilette

Sadly, I get less than an hour with the new one.
    Those if you who have 8+ hours longevity must have special fragrance karma.
    Probably saved Aimé Guerlain from drowning in a vat of Jicky back in 1889?

Dazed and Confused,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Sadly, I get less than an hour with the new one.
    Those if you who have 8+ hours longevity must have special fragrance karma.
    Probably saved Aimé Guerlain from drowning in a vat of Jicky back in 1889?

Dazed and Confused,

Mario
    I am mystified Mario. I wonder if there are a couple of "batches" or variations of the reformulated version. Seriously, I cannot see any reason why someone could be only 1 hour with the bottle that I have ( and it is not vintage). It just does not make sense. When my allergies clear up ( if that ever happens) I will sample the GG again.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I have the new version and longevity is excellent for me too (a full day).Unfortunately, I don't have anymore a vintage bottle (I have been wearing GG for almost all the 80's) and my feeling is that current version is softer but still very good and strong.My wife didn't detect any major difference with what she reminds of the vintage version so, I just wonder .....

I like and own both versions. My experience is that the current version lasts longer than the original version.

Also, I think there is a heavier patchouli note in the current version. But, the original seems more leathery.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Basenotes Plus

I own both - Vintage Givenchy Gentleman has more classic structure...with the civet, honey, rose, oakmoss and vetiver more prevalent. The current formulation is still very well made. There is less civet, oakmoss and honey, but more rich leather in the current juice. Both have nice spices, citrus in the opening, jasmine, musk, cedar and amber.

I have found that the depth of the patchouli in vintage is simply incredible! It is still fantastic in current. Givenchy, as a house, has done a very good job with the reformulation - bringing it into the contemporary age, but keeping a classic vibe.

Vintage is, in my opinion, a classic and masterpiece. Current formulation is still excellent. A layered wearing is not out of question, but I typically like to layer Vintage After Shave with Vintage EdT for the optimum wearing. Current formulation, by itself, wears very nicely - or a few sprays in the drydown of a Vintage wearing is a nice way to incorporate it. Proper attire, an aire of sophistication and a gentlemanly attitude is required. Not for boys or most men under 30 - but, also not dated. Timeless.

One of the most incredible releases ever from Monsieur Hubert de Givenchy (created for his brother, who was living in England - according to legend)...

Respect it and enjoy it.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 4th October 2012 at 02:43 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I own both as well and the vintage is stellar. The newer formulation has that civet and it will kick you in the face. I can really appreciate both variations though.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The vintage is so much better than today's version. I used to wear GG every day to work, back in the day. I wish I would have purchased 50 bottles and put them away. I love GG.

The original is so powerful and it can be smelled a mile away. The reformulation may be better as it is a bit lighter.

Banned

I preffer Cartier Pasha.

I had a down - memory - lane re try of the new version of this just the other day, and was pleased with the result. If you are after this kind of scent then you will not regret buying this one.

In my view the original has a subtle difference that makes it a genuine all time classic.
    As some have stated the reform is still good and perhaps more versatile and certainly has no longevity issues for me.
    I think someone even suggested layering the two together on another thread.
    I really do recommend searching out some vintage though (with the wraparound label)

Basenotes Plus

Yes, martinijo -

I concur, fully. I actually mention above that a layered wearing (Vintage and Current) is nice and one should not be afraid to do that.

To me, Vintage will always be the bottle that I adore...but, current formulation actually wears very well and can show brilliantly by itself or incorporated into a full wearing of Vintage GG (After Shave and EdT)...even as a refresh to the Vintage wearing. But, I personally like the nuances and accords as they blend together very much. I don't layer it every time, but there are times when I do. I find myself enjoying the best of both.

From one of the best fragrance houses...ever. A classic among classics. How does one attempt to describe the feeling of being in a full wearing of Vintage Givenchy Gentleman? Adjectives, superlatives and metaphors aside - not even a sonnet can articulate its masculine beauty...

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    In my view the original has a subtle difference that makes it a genuine all time classic.
    As some have stated the reform is still good and perhaps more versatile and certainly has no longevity issues for me.
    I think someone even suggested layering the two together on another thread.
    I really do recommend searching out some vintage though (with the wraparound label)
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I own Vintage G.G. and like it a lot however, it doesn't last long on my skin... Giorgio last 10 times as long on me.

Same for me (with the difference that I like vintage a tad more but the difference is not that big to me as it's to others).

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-e-mental View Post
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

It's a patchouli bomb! I don't like this fragrance AT ALL..