Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does anyone actually *love* Guerlain Vetiver?

It seems like that most threads that focus on Guerlain Vetiver are filled with comments suggesting that the scent is a classic, and must be experienced because of its part in scent history. In threads where someone is complaining about not liking it, people suggest to keep it around so it can be experienced and "grow".

What I don't see, though, is many people responding as I did. I instantly thought after applying some GV and letting it settle that it was the best scent I'd ever smelled, and even now after trying several others, I can't really find anything better (and I'm not interested in getting into the niche stuff...). Its so good that I'm considering it making it my "signature" scent and not really using anything else.

So, two questions:
    (1) How many of you loved GV the first time you tried it (and continue to love it?)
    (2) How many of you consider GV to be your favorite scent?

Just curious.

S
    Last edited by killer_deep; 3rd May 2009 at 01:07 AM.

Default Re: Does anyone actually *love* Guerlain Vetiver?

I love it - it's crisp, dry, and masculine. I wear it all year, and it's especially appropriate for the office.

The first time I wore it, I hated it for the first several minutes, but once it settled down, I was hooked.

However, I wouldn't consider it my favorite scent, or even my favorite vetiver. That honor belongs to Chanel Sycomore.

Sur la Plage

I love it and wear it quite often. But it is not my favorite scent.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have great respect for this great vertiver classic but I don't love it. I have only worn it once since I bought it last year.

Banned

I love Guerlain - it's my favorite house, and I like vetiver - but I only 'like' GV, I don't love it. I agree that it is a classic that is well worth giving time. I didn't 'get it' at first, in fact it took me at least 10 skin tests to really appreciate it, and even after I did appreciate it I didn't fall madly in love with it. Regardless I own a bottle and now and then it's the right fragrance for the day. I'd encourage anyone to give it more than a single sampling, but if you don't like it, you don't like it.

It's OK but nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by killer_deep View Post
    So, two questions:
    (1) How many of you loved GV the first time you tried it (and continue to love it?)
    S
    1: I loved it at first sniff 30 years ago, but it has changed since then and therefore, so has the depth of my love for it.
    2: No, it's not my favorite scent, or even my favorite Vetiver for that matter, that award goes to Annick Goutal Vetiver.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 3rd May 2009 at 02:40 AM.

1) I thought "old man" the first time I smelled it. The second time, I thought, "hmmm this is great quality and reminds me of a garden of tabacco and vetiver.... but not for me." Third time I really wrapped my nose around it and fell in love with. It never striked me as "great" until I became fully acquainted with it. It's not a sex bomb fragrance released by Jean Paul Gaultier - whereas something like le male smells great for an hour before getting annoying, Vetiver by Guerlain stays cool, calm and collected.
    2) No, it's not my favorite scent, but it is definitely a classic, and for me, represents something timeless and beautiful. I wear it for myself and not for others.
    Sales thread here

Coriander and I got in a fight... Vetiver stood on the sidelines watching... Coriander and I hate each other... Vetiver and I made up, and have forged a long lasting relationship... I wanted to love GV I really did, but the same bully that made me give up Live Jazz made an orphan out of GV.... I wish I could say that I missed you son, but I'm sure you've found a better family, a family that loves you for who you are and not all of those that just needed a child to raise
    At your service

Yes, I love it. I love vetiver period but after trying many vetivers (and owning some good ones), to my nose, this is the gold standard.
    I smelled it around me as a child. The first time I smelled it after about 20 years later, I wasn't sure but the drydown on my clothes made me go back and get it. It's my go to scent for the summer in spite of reformulations. Vetiver is one of the most evocative scents to me (if not the most).

Wish I did, because I blind bought it. It reminds me of of the smell of dental cement.

Besides maybe Sel de Vetiver, I'd say it's my favorite vetiver.

See Somerville Metro Man's recent thread...apparenty the answer is "yes."

GV is the most owned and most worn scent here.

Quite an accomplishment when you consider the thousands of fragrances in the world. And this by some of the most knowledgable fragrance lovers that exist.

Do the accountants at Guerlain count?
    Last edited by surreality; 3rd May 2009 at 06:20 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

my hand is raised for 1), and most probably for 2) also.

I tried Guerlain Vetiver after joining Basenotes. I didn't know a vetiver from a fougere. One whiff and I've been smiling driftily ever since. If I have a dozen vetivers, GV is in my top two or three. (Is there any explanation? I like "magic" and "serendipity.")

But there are other "classics" that do not appeal. (There are fragrances with the finest ingredients that do not appeal. There are highly lauded fragrances that do not appeal.) I'm not at all sure that there is any real correlation among quality, praise, and preference.

I concur that there is value in reference scents and understanding the evolution of fragrances and their elements. In the end, of course, it's down to That Which Pleases.

I've only smelled it on card... I need to give this one a wearing soon. Not instant love, but there's some interest here.

I bought this due to BN hype
    it just smelled like soapy hay
    Im thinking my bottle may be bad but it was BNIB when I got it
    Ive tried to wear it about 6 times now but still same feelings
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

It was love at first sniff, and GV remains in my list of top 10 favorites of all time.

Recently, in bluesoul's 1st Annual Basenotes March Madness playoffs, Guerlain Vetiver made it into the final four. GV lost in the semi-final to the eventual champion, Habit Rouge.

Also, Somerville Metro Man just finished tracking the community's SotD posts for a solid year to see if we actually wear what we talk about. As Butthead53 said, Guerlain Vetiver was by far the scent most worn by the Basenoters who post their SotD.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I loved it from the first sniff and still do. It remains in my top 5. I know for sure that I could never get tired of this cologne.

When I first smelled it (1992, gosh I was so young then, on a friend's friend in Paris), it scared me slightly, actually the same way Mitsouko scared me when I first smelled it: I felt it was so strange and exotic, a bitter-dry scent I had never smelled before. Since then, I have worn it myself for a trillion times, and it never fails to make me think "mmmm ... oh yeah baby!". I LOVE it, and if someone forced me to own only one Guerlain, it would be Vetiver. I think ...

The only smells I've got of this one, lead me right back to David Beckham Instinct
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

I think I've always loved it - from the very first time I tried it and purchased it 20+ years ago when I was a stuggling university student. I still love it now because it's a great, great fragrance; has fabulous longevity; and is a relative bargain.

All of that said, it's probably not my favourite scent (but then, I'm not sure what is).

I'm not really fond of perfumes based around one chord. I tried it, but for me, it's nothing special.
    unico grande amore.

I had a real strange relationship with GV, I loved the opening but then about 8 hours later I started to find the soapy note a bit sickly. It is a very tenacious fragrance and I find it has one of the greatest longevities I've ever experienced. I.e. Put it on, 24 hours plus a shower and full change of clothes later, I could still smell some of the soapyness. I don't hate it but neither do I love it.
    Last edited by Andyjreid; 3rd May 2009 at 09:44 AM.

Back in the mid-80s’ I fell in love with Guerlain Vétiver at first sniff.
    I always have it in my wardrobe. It’s one of my favorites along with Eau Sauvage.
    Last edited by jss; 3rd May 2009 at 10:57 AM.

It is definately a classic and a wonderfully made scent but I couldn't say that it can send raving about it. As Ruggles said it might have been exceptional 30 years ago but I don't think one can only blame the reformulation for tha change of feelings. A fragrance one loves is usually an exceptional fragrance not just a very well done one. And yes, we 've come a long way. More exciting are on the market now, a lot more diversification, and maybe what used to be a phenomenal scent 30 years ago has more of a historical value today than its power to sweep people off their feet. One thing going for it though, it's not expensive, so I can see myself buying it at some point as a casual morning scent.

1-. Took me a good amount of trials before deciding.
    2-. One of my fav's, indeed. A masterpiece? I am not an expert, so I can not give you reasons at all for saying it is so. Conservative? Yes, I am into these kind of scents.

I like the current version but I love the old one (the yellow juice).

Basenotes Institution

Yes, I *love* it.

I loved it the first time I smelled it. I learned that I love, even more, the Eau de Cologne (discontinued) version. It is the only scent I have a backup bottle of.

If fragrances were pieces of clothing, Vetiver by Guerlain would be my worn-in-pair-of-blue-jeans. Always fits me comfortably.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Love it. Very etherial to me - what I imagine heaven smelling like!
    Peace ~ Markymark

i absolutely love it and it takes turns being my favorite scent quite often.

guerlain Vetiver.. somehow have bad chemistry with my skin

after 10 minutes it becomes like the chemical that cleaning out toilet

I am doomed with bad skin , I guess
    since everyone hear is loving it

I cant love it.. its a classic ..
    but goes like whitening substance in my skin, smell very bad, makes persons arround me looking at me uncomfortably

Is it the old Guerlain Vetiver that you are referring to, or the new one?

I recollect one thread many years back when people were arguing the merits of one over the other.

Then I read a thread a year or two back saying there were three versions - and none those three were the old style bottle of EDC that I also own - which curiously lasts a lot longer than the old style bottle of EDT.
    Renato

Thumbs up Re: Does anyone actually *love* Guerlain Vetiver?

Guerlain VETIVER is a good perfume, but not the same as the original. My favourites are Malle's VETIVER EXTRAORDINAIRE and Lalique's ENCRE NOIRE
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

it smells like a citronella candle on my skin- I have a sample I got from perfumedcourt and will give it another try. How could I not get a sample with all the hype around here?

1. Didn't really like it when I first smelled it. Smelled like Spot Shot to me.

2. Not quite sure if it's my all time favorite, but in top 3. The drydown is faaantastic.

Years back when I first found a new Guerlain Vetiver giftset at Marshalls for $15, I thought "Hey this smells really classy and dignified, but it's just not ME."

Then as time went by, it became very much ME. I love the stuff and would never be without it. I even love all the flankers including the poorly received Vetiver Extreme.

Yes, I love Guerlain Vetiver. Wearing this feels like an indulgence, a selfish act, and I simply do not care anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by killer_deep View Post
    It seems like that most threads that focus on Guerlain Vetiver are filled with comments suggesting that the scent is a classic, and must be experienced because of its part in scent history. In threads where someone is complaining about not liking it, people suggest to keep it around so it can be experienced and "grow".

What I don't see, though, is many people responding as I did. I instantly thought after applying some GV and letting it settle that it was the best scent I'd ever smelled, and even now after trying several others, I can't really find anything better (and I'm not interested in getting into the niche stuff...). Its so good that I'm considering it making it my "signature" scent and not really using anything else.

So, two questions:

Just curious.

S
    I would have to say yes to both questions

Not as a vetiver I don't. If I want to smell clean and soapy its great, but if I want vetiver I prefer sel de vetiver, VE, Givenchy vetiver or Roger & Gallet vetiver.

Its great to see that other BNers like this not just because it must be had in any serious collection, but because people legitimately love the fragrance. Good to see that its the favorite of many BNers as well.

I hate that it reminds me so much of old man/woman, but I'm sure with repeated wearings that association will be less salient. Perhaps when I get Mugler Cologne or Paul Smith's Story to try it'll smell "younger" to me while retaining all of the characteristics I love about GV. I doubt it though...

S

I do ... it was love at first sight... and been in love ever since...

I've been so used to it that somewhere in my head- Guerlain's Vetiver for me is the benchmark vetiver... every or any other concoction is automatically compared with GV. Its a shallow thing to do , I am aware..but it happens subconsciously

I used to adore this scent, loved it, was crazy about it. When I worked for Guerlain I would wear only Guerlain scents. Sometimes I just grew tired of the ones marketed towards females and Habit Rouge tends to become sweet on me and the Eaux are so bright and citrusy. Well after deciding to put on some Vetiver I was hooked. I always loved the dry-down in my fragrances, many female marketed scents have vetiver in the base, because of the depth. With Guerlain Vetiver, I had that richness right away, along with a fabulous freshness and an overall rejuvenating pick-me-up.

Unfortunately, the re-orchestrated version is less to my liking, it just seems to lack that "something" that made the original so exhilarating. It also, as others have said, moves toward a soapy note; I hate that ever present soapy note, which seems to be in everything these days.

So yes, I loved Guerlain Vetiver once.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 7th May 2009 at 04:01 PM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

When I first smelled GV, I did not like it at all (was in my early 20's at the time and thought it smelled "old"). My opinion has changed as my tastes have matured. I like GV now but it's not my favorite frag. At the moment, it's in my top 5.
    "Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better" - Robert Redford

When Grant and I were first living together I had a field day with his (I thought at the time, slightly mental) collection of fragrances. I worked in London and sometimes had to suit up and meet clients and be confident and a bit 'ballsy', so I often tried his male frags as well as the women's - a completely new thing for me then.

It began to come clear that I had a bit of a thing for grassy, botanical, lush green, slightly spicy numbers and he suggested that I try his GV. He never saw that bottle again...

The moral? If your girlfriend/wife is a cross dressing working women with a penchant for trouser suits and swearing, don't let her near your GV - she might just fall irrevocably in love.
    Last edited by DanielleCooper; 7th May 2009 at 07:59 PM.

I know that My wardrobe simply just can not be without this classic. Does that count as love?

Yeah, I'd say I sort of love it. It's not the same as it was 25 years ago...or of course my nose could have matured...in any case it's a fresh, spicy aroma that I often get complements on...I may like Carvain Vetiver a tad better. But it doesn't seem to hold as long as the Gerlain.

I find it somewhat overrated...nice, but not a must-have. Maybe because I dislike the soapy note. The vintage formulation is less soapy, but somehow not really better.

I prefer the (rare?) Eau Glacee/Frozen flanker. Replaces the soap with a subtle and short-lived menthol note, making the whole composition breezy and transparent, which is how I like my vetivers. The regular Guerlain Vetiver seems kind of dense and heavy in comparison.

I love GV, and I loved it time I wore it.
    It is by a long way my most worn fragrance.

It isnt my favourite however, but probably wouldd be in my top 10 most times.

I pretty much loved it at first sniff, and it's been high in the rotation ever since. It's probably the one I turn to most often when I want something "safe" but still beautiful (followed by Dior Homme). But I don't have *A* favorite....

I don't (any more).

I answer afirmatively to both questions of the thread starter: loved it since the very first try and still love it, simply because it's classic without being dated and I can wear it in a quite versatile manner both on casual occasions and even with semi-formal outfits (during daytime at work- though I am self-employed anyway, on occasions requiring office wear etc.).

Vetiver is one of my favorite notes. With that being said, nope dont like guerlains vetiver.

For a less expensive vetiver, I would choose givenchy vetiver. Awesome buttery vetiver

Comme de garcons is cheap as hell and great as well

I just don't understand this diluted scent. So many other better vetivers out there to choose from.

I personaly find the vintage formulation to be still head and shoulders above the average quality of today's masculines.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

This one was love at first sniff and a revelation of a whole higher world of fragrances. I consider it my signature and have worn it more than anything else. Its complex contradictions make it startling and a classic at the same time.

On the "Reformulation Controversy:" Guerlain has always insisted that they never reformulated their Vetiver, despite all the assumptions that they had. I've seen no hard evidence that would lead me to think they are lying. I've owned two bottles of the stuff and they always smelled pretty much exactly like descriptions of the classic version.

Vetiver is a natural material and naturals are especially subject to change over time. Guerlain has implied that some users had just got hold of some younger stuff (perhaps at the time of Vetiver's reintroduction) and that this accounted for the reformulation rumors. Also, all natural materials vary from batch to batch, sometimes considerably, so it is not realistic to expect a fragrance with a lot of naturals to always be exactly the same, even though it hasn't been deliberately reformulated.

Guerlain recently changed the bottle design, dropping the frosted striped bottle they introduced with the reintroduction. At that point, many applauded their "return" to the "original" version. I think this may have been partly a marketing ploy: "Maybe if we return to the old bottle, people will think we went back to the old formula." If so, it seems to have worked.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 23rd May 2012 at 04:39 PM.