Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Pure Shot: Worthy of a Purchase?

Hi BN!! I was at my local px yesterday and I just happened to see TM Pure Shot for $60 instead of $85-$90. Is it worth it to buy this at $60? I know that it was not received well but there was no tester and I need people who have tried it to let me know. Thanks!!
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Default Re: Pure Shot: Worthy of a Purchase?

NO lol not even 10$

There are other spring/summer scent that is better. However, collecting all of the Thierry mugler pure lines bottles might be a very good reason if you are collecting them...they look sick together.

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    Is it worth it to buy this at $60? I know that it was not received well but there was no tester and I need people who have tried it to let me know. Thanks!!
    IMO yes and $20 less than I paid - very good price.

No. It's weak.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Banned

I've been in a number of PXs all over the country in the last month or so and have never seen Pure Shot. Very lucky of you, but I'd still pass as even the original A*Men is much better.

no...
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

No. I'd pass on Pure Shot.

I've only tried it once in passing, and kinda liked it. I thought it was a nice aquatic patchouli smell, but I've heard longevity is an issue. I definitely would like to sample it more cuz I own Malt, Havane, and A*Men and am thinking of adding it to the collection not because of how it smells but mostly because the flask looks cool!

At 60$ I might bite...?
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 28th May 2012 at 05:04 AM.

I would consider purchasing it when it gets to the 40-50 dollar range.

If you're headed toward the section of the PX with Pure Shot, I'd recommend you to do an about-face and pass on this one brother.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

If you want to collect all Mugler's Pure line then yes. Otherwise, no

No, instead of it buy A*Men and you'll have one of the greatest colognes ever.
    " In a world of 1s and 0s...are you a zero, or The One? "

I didn't really like Pure Shot last month when I sprayed a tester on my wrist; I also sprayed Chanel Allure Homme Sport Extreme-- and between the two of them, I ended up getting an sinus allergy thing that lasted a week. I don't know exactly what caused it, but it didn't make Pure Shot a fave at any rate.

A few days ago I got an official Thierry Mugler Pure Shot sample in the mail-- I'd sent away for it via a TM offer. I wore it today and I'm wearing it now... I don't know, it's kind of growing on me. I wouldn't want to spend $90 on it, but $60 might be tempting. It's not an incredibly polished composition. It smells like it leans heavily on the new aromachemical "Patchwood"--I'd be surprised if it doesn't contain Patchwood.

Banned

Nope. But, get A*Men Le Gout du Parfum/Taste of Fragrance (Pure Chili), if it is available.

Nope, use that $60 on something better instead. I honestly wouldn't even buy this one if it showed up in TJ Maxx for $25.

Like others have said, it might be worth it if you're a collector, but if all you want is the bottle just save yourself the trouble and see if you can fill up an empty one with a better, cheaper fragrance and save yourself a few $$$ lol
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Nope. But, get A*Men Le Gout du Parfum/Taste of Fragrance (Pure Chili), if it is available.
    Yes!!!! I can't believe this isn't getting the credit it deserves. The top isn't very good but the drydown more than makes up for it.

Not in my opinion, no. There are much better fragrances out there.

Blog Entries

I thought this was interesting, the second time I smelled it, but my wife hates it, and I've taken to calling it the "anti-dropper". I let her smell a blotter of the stuff, and it was almost her worst reaction *ever* to any fragrance!

"Terrible! (grimace) Smells like cheap guy! (recoils in seat, shaking head) NO WAY!"

The only thing that scares me is that story about the Mugler rep scooping up bottles. This could end up being another "Feu d'Issey", if it turns out to be more a case of a fragrance being ahead of its time, and people not "getting it" until it's gone. Remember - my wife *hates* Kouros, too. She tends to be a good indicator of a challenging frag, not a bad one per se.

Interesting about the patchwood, Indie. What is your take on the isolated component? What's it like, to your nose?

Save your beans ! I bought it and got rid of it and was very disappointed. With so many great summer scents available you could do much better elsewhere. Buy something you have tried and really love.
    My current obsessions for now
    Oud Wood , Noir de Noir , DHI , Mugler Cologne , Bond No.9 Bleeker St. ,
    Ramone Monegal Agar Musk & Umbra , Chanel Coromondel ,

Thierry Mugler has one, and only one summer fragrance that was done well. It can be seen at the top of Tucansam's summer top 5 in the post above. Not groundbreaking, but that's the only summer fragrance from this house that works, from what I've smelled thus far anyway.

I can spray a fourth of the bottle all over me and the scent, being uninteresting and hopelessly boring for starters, is completely gone within 3-4 hours. I will never understand the appeal of Pure Shot.

If a bottle with a star on it is worth $60 then yes. If your actually going to use it as a fragrance then absolutely not!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Interesting about the patchwood, Indie. What is your take on the isolated component? What's it like, to your nose?
    Patchwood is interesting stuff. It's kind of like what iso-e-super is to cedar, patchwood is to patchouli. It's got the woodiness of an iso-e-super type material, but with a very fresh, camphoraceous opening and a very earthy, moss nuance that's almost aquatic-- like the smell of a lake. Demeter did a fragrance called "Skating Pond"-- and that's exactly what Patchwood smells like. There's also a facet that smells like freshly dug up beets, with the soil still clinging to them-- and I get this in Pure Shot.

I got a large bottle of Patchwood a few years ago as part of the Perfumer & Flavourist "Patchwood Challenge" competition. I ended up never actually submitting my entry, but the composition I came up with was kind of similar to a Kouros Cologne Sport/Kouros Eau D'Ete type of fragrance. The Patchwood was quite suited for handling a large part of the patchouli/moss/herbaceous notes. It was a nice bridge that allowed a smooth transition from the top to the the bottom. I really wish I'd have entered the contest to see how my composition would have fared, but in the end it came down to the fact that I wasn't sure exactly how to format my formula against their standards(I notate things my own way) and also I'm never quite satisfied that something couldn't be better.

I ended up taking some of my Patchwood fragrance to work and letting a few people test it. One of my male coworkers loved it and wanted to buy some, but I never got around to making up another batch.

I could be entirely wrong about Pure Shot containing Patchwood, but I'd probably bet my nose that it does.

Blog Entries

^^ LOL! But it's a white bottle! With a blue star!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Patchwood is interesting stuff. It's kind of like what iso-e-super is to cedar, patchwood is to patchouli. It's got the woodiness of an iso-e-super type material, but with a very fresh, camphoraceous opening and a very earthy, moss nuance that's almost aquatic-- like the smell of a lake. Demeter did a fragrance called "Skating Pond"-- and that's exactly what Patchwood smells like. There's also a facet that smells like freshly dug up beets, with the soil still clinging to them-- and I get this in Pure Shot.

I got a large bottle of Patchwood a few years ago as part of the Perfumer & Flavourist "Patchwood Challenge" competition. I ended up never actually submitting my entry, but the composition I came up with was kind of similar to a Kouros Cologne Sport/Kouros Eau D'Ete type of fragrance. The Patchwood was quite suited for handling a large part of the patchouli/moss/herbaceous notes. It was a nice bridge that allowed a smooth transition from the top to the the bottom. I really wish I'd have entered the contest to see how my composition would have fared, but in the end it came down to the fact that I wasn't sure exactly how to format my formula against their standards(I notate things my own way) and also I'm never quite satisfied that something couldn't be better.

I ended up taking some of my Patchwood fragrance to work and letting a few people test it. One of my male coworkers loved it and wanted to buy some, but I never got around to making up another batch.

I could be entirely wrong about Pure Shot containing Patchwood, but I'd probably bet my nose that it does.
    Thanks, Indie! Makes me wonder if this was part of the methodology behind various novel takes on patchouli that we've seen lately. I'll have to get a hold of some!

Almost Anything in the $60 range would be better than it. I bought it for $50 and still sold it. It's not worth anything to me.

I bought it full price and I like it... why most people here hate it? I don't know but I'm thinking because it's light, doesn't project very well and doesn't last very long compared to other Thierry mugler scents of course. Sometimes that can be a good thing when you don't want everyone around you to smell your cologne for 6 hours and you want to wear something fresh and inoffensive like Pure Shot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post

@ Indie_Guy - A very interesting and informative post!

Basenotes Plus

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I'll just pass on this one seeing as how it sounds like the opposite of what I want in my collection and I told myself I wouldn't buy another designer frag this quarter after my purchase of Opium Pour Homme...
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais

I have tried and I would buy it, at least more likely than the regular AMen.

I like it but it's gone from my skin in 2-3 hours. $60 is not a bad price, but you should probably get Roadster by Cartier. While Pure Shot opening is icy cold, it dies down within minutes, Roadster is spearmint fresh for 5-6 hours.

IMO it is a huge waist, BORING like a hell! I was actually expecting from this one some sort of Geranium pour Monsieur...what a disappointment!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    I would consider purchasing it when it gets to the 40-50 dollar range.
    Same here.

I find the actual scent to smell amazing. A good friend bought it and it smells awesome - however the longevity and silage is poor.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LoPsOrange View Post
    I like it but it's gone from my skin in 2-3 hours. $60 is not a bad price, but you should probably get Roadster by Cartier. While Pure Shot opening is icy cold, it dies down within minutes, Roadster is spearmint fresh for 5-6 hours.
    I used to own Cartier Roadster and gave it to a good friend. What a mistake!! I guess that will be my designer purchase next quarter...
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    I used to own Cartier Roadster and gave it to a good friend. What a mistake!! I guess that will be my designer purchase next quarter...
    Roadster is lightyears ahead of Pure Shot. And most other fresh designers. Do eet!
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Pure Shot is very good IMO. I'm keeping mine, but not my backup.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Same here.

I find the actual scent to smell amazing. A good friend bought it and it smells awesome - however the longevity and silage is poor.
    this but i would change "amazing" to pretty good.
    Last edited by Vince23heat; 31st May 2012 at 05:30 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Update:
    So I failed to heed all of your warnings and purchased Pure Shot. I will not say that I am impressed but I am happy with my purchase. Of course I get the terrible longevity and silliage from it but while it is there it actually does go through 3 distinct phases. While Pure Shot is definitely not groundbreaking, I believe it as well as Allure Homme Sport eau extreme are a nice change to summer fragrance options rather than the standard citrusy, watery, mainstream options available now.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais

I didn't like it at all.

For $60 bucks IMO why not. Better then paying $95 like I did lol

So... this can now be found on Amazon for $30 shipped... worth the gamble?

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    Absolutely. I now own it, and like it a lot. The one knock on it is the projection/longevity is very bad. Very very bad. I overspray, and make sure to get it on clothing, that seems to help.

No, not worth in my opinion. The thing is you do ask, therefore you like it and ask to quell thy conscience as you'll most likely buy it
    Whereas it's not worth to SOME of us here, to someone it might worth a 100 bucks and I can respect that.

P.S. I really, really liked it when I sprayed it and it was cold outside, regardless it is a fresh, sharp fragrance.

I think it is quite decent, it certainly doesn't deserve the hate it gets on here. Just don't expect anything similar to the others in the A*Men line.

Only if you can get it for a low price. A good decent gym scent IMO.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 8th November 2013 at 07:19 PM.

it's not even close to being as bad as some people describe it. It's worth 30$ for sure. On my skin longevity is decent for this type of fragrance (~5 hours) and projection is about moderate. At first i was under impression that projection is below average but i got compliments about the fragrance a few times at ~2 hours after application.

I wouldn't buy this stuff again, even though I got it for under $30. This stuff is good upon application but dissipates extremely fast. I usually get about 2 hours or less and it's vanished.

Banned
    Blog Entries

My worst blind buy of all time..
    I paid $115..
    sold it for $75

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    At that price for sure IMO even with it not being the best flanker in the series.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Didn't enjoy this one. Never a good sign if one doesn't even want to finish a sample. I'd rather use Ice Men than this.

I like it as a post workout cologne. Fruit-chouli stuff is my bag I guess. Its not for everyone. There is a period in its evolution that reminds me of Aventus. 5 hours on me...strangely, one of my more complimented frags.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver