Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Extravagance d'Amarige - different versions?

The other day I caught a whiff of a lovely scent on a passing lady, and I couldn't help but stop her and ask what she was wearing. She told me it was Extravagance d'Amarige, so I went off to go and buy myself some.

But I found that it comes in two very different-looking packaging styles, so I was hoping that somebody could tell me if these are both the same juice, or if one of them is a flanker?

Extra-Vagance-dAmarige-Eau-de-Toilette.jpg

extravagance-d-amarige-eau-de-toilette-spray.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Givenchy Extravagance d'Amarige - different versions?

The top photo is the original version while the bottom version is the reissued one. They are the same fragrance. The reissue is not a flanker. But was there reformulation? Most probably.

I own the original, which should still be available somewhere, especially on eBay. I have not smelled the current version so I cannot give you any info about differences due to reformulation. I'm sure some other Basenoters have, and can offer their opinions.

The original version is magnificent and well worth seeking out. I hope the current version is as good but I have my doubts.

Post Thanks / Like

Aha! I have both versions as in the pics. Have never tested them side by side but will do so and report back (will endeavour to do it this evening or tomorrow). Only possible problem is that my bottle of the original is 10+ years old, so may not be at its best, although kept in box and rarely used. From memory, when I tried the reissue I didn't think it was that different, but watch this space!

Ok - newer version is fresher, sharper and more green, with the citrus and pepper well to the fore. Unmistakably a reworking of the earlier version which is much more muted, softer and woody, with an almost chypre-like quality. That said, the old version seems to be fading pretty fast, although that might be the result of its age. They're both good, but get the earlier if you can find it.
    Last edited by devilcat; 28th May 2012 at 07:37 PM.

Noggs is correct - the top is the older version - out in maybe 1999 or 2000. It's a good one, if you can find it. The bottom one is probably availabe at the Disney world Givenchy store, with the other reformulated classics (reformulated Le De, etc).