Code of Conduct

Question Best Iris Perfume

What is the best iris perfume that is masculine or unisex? I am looking for something natural-smelling as well. I am interested in the more floral side of the iris flower rather than the powdery, woody nature of the root.

Default Re: Best Iris Perfume

To me, the freshest, lightest, most natural smelling is Chanel La Pausa. Even more floral, No 18 (iris rose on a base of ambrette), though it is not only iris.

This year, I've been enjoying Le Labo Iris 39 shower oil and the cream, but it is somewhat rooty (though not woody).

cacio

yeah, this isn't a note I'm intimately familiar with or particularly like much but 28 La Pausa was the first one that came to mind and then Hermes' Hiris, which i think is beautiful, though it may be on that earthy dry rubbery smokey side of the iris.
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

How about Hermès Hermèssence Iris Ukiyoé? It is supposed to be the floral aspect of iris.

I think I may have a sample of Ukiyoe. I will look through my Hermes samples. I'll see if it does smell opaque and like a watercolor of a fragrance. Ukiyoe is a series of Japanese watercolor prints anyway.

I would venture to say Prada Infusion d'Iris (the women's version in the light green box) or the L'Occitane Iris EDP. (The latter might have too much powder for you. http://usa.loccitane.com/iris-eau-de...392,274980.htm)

The Prada has a mix with incense and is very unisex. It is very easy to find.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/prada-in...953335-0-0-1-1

You might also try Annick Goutal's Duel. Marketed to men (I adore the inspiration of the duel of honour!) Lovely iris/leather with a tea note. Beautiful but longevity is abysmal.

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...e_revie_4.html

Finally, try MPG's Bleu Gris Iris, also marketed to men, from Les Caprices du Dandy collection: http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...fumeur-et.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 29th May 2012 at 06:28 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned

Try:

Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle - Upon application, one is treated to beautiful and understated wafts of aldehydes, giving a sparkly dimension to the lemony magnolia, the fruity ylang-ylang and the tutti-frutti jasmine. Drifting to the waiting middle, a regal iris overtakes the brilliance of the aldehydes, and infuses its violet-like sweetness and verdancy to the fore. The standoffish iris is lightly dusted with the powderiness of the magical aldehydes. An earthy and somewhat green undertone is provided by stalwart vetiver. Transitioning to the awaiting base, creamy sandalwood, spicy tonka bean and sweet vanilla encase the lustrous iris, and lead to a handsome and easy drydown. This exquisite, unisex composition is a skin scent, as far as projection is concerned; however, the longevity, 8-9 hours, is good.

Bokaba, since you are a fan of Acqua di Parma, how about Iris Nobile? A very floral iris.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/acqua-di...resultback=228
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Irisss by Xerjoff
    Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens
    Iris 39 by Le Labo
    Iris Ganache by Guerlain

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I second 28 La Pausa by Chanel. Le Labo's Iris 39 is another one of my faves. It has a prominent floral aspect though it's not particularly iris-y.

In the process of sampling D600; reminds me a bit of a cross between Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense. Not sure if it's bottle worthy yet, but worth a try if you like iris.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Not an iris fan at all, but this is an excellent one.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma

Iris Ukiyoe

I'm not familiar with the other scents mentioned already, but Iris Noir by Yves Rocher is nice and not pricey.

Iris 39 is the best I've found so far

for me, one of the best is Reflection man Amouage.

I tried many new irises lately. A fragrant angel I met here shared some samples with me. I fell in love with VC&A Bois d'Iris, it's so great, sensual, warm, woody iris.

But Le Labo Iris 39 is also great. Has a very nice, pure and clean vibe on my skin.

And of course - I have a lot of love for Prada Infusion d'Homme. Too bad that I can't test this new Prada Infusion d'Iris Absolue. It's not available here and it probably won't be available at all... Shame.

DHI and L'Erbolario Iris

I love iris.

Iris Silver Mist - like no other
    Iris 39 - diabolical iris

for swap/sale:

Dior Homme will do...!

Iris d'Argent by Keiko Mecheri is the most floral, soliflore-esque iris I've tried, and I loves me some iris. Many of the other mentioned here rely heavily on woods or leather to pair with the iris, while the Id'A focuses very heavily on just the iris, resulting in a lovely, floral, slightly soapy impression.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    I tried many new irises lately. A fragrant angel I met here shared some samples with me. I fell in love with VC&A Bois d'Iris, it's so great, sensual, warm, woody iris.

But Le Labo Iris 39 is also great. Has a very nice, pure and clean vibe on my skin.
    I'll second the Iris 39 recommendations, of all the other suggestions here that I've tried I find it most represented a floral-fruity Iris. On me however, the fruity sweetness pushed it a bit more into feminine territory.

Also love VC&A Bd'I, and I'll add that to me it bears a very close resemblance to Dior's Bois d'Argent, which I also quite enjoy.

Xerjoff Modoc

I love L'Homme de Coeur Divine for iris but it might be a bit too powdery for you.

Donna Karan Iris: Very floral.

Chanel No 19 Poudre: gorgeous iris and great on a man.

Iris Ganache by Guerlain
    This is more "rooty" than "flower" so I really like it.
    Last edited by Francesco; 1st June 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Huiles Precieuses - Body Oil by Diptyque from their L'art Du Soin line is an amazing iris scent. Is is fresh slightly woody iris. Even though it is a body oil - it is a scented dry body oil that is very moisturizing.

I've recently decided that iris is one of my favourite notes; especially as it is presented in Dior Homme and DHI (the 'lipstick' vibe that people refer to)

Is there something out there that is Dior Homme amplified by ten? Or more?

The iris' that I have currently are:
    Dior Homme
    Dior Homme Intense
    Shalimar Parfum Initial

I welcome your suggestions!
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Xerjoff Irisss is the best Iris hands down.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

LeLabo Iris 39 is my favorite iris. Second would be Divine L' Homme de Coeur and then 28 La Pausa. They are all good. The Chanel is a little on the feminine side of neutral whereas the LeLabo and Divine are woodier and more interesting. I also like Dzongkha by L' Artisan for iris with a leather and incense side to it. Iris fragrances are hard to depend upon for more than just a curiosity.

Basenotes Plus

I recently tested Ramon Monegal "Impossible Iris". Very nice indeed.

Splash Bottles Suck

I was able to sample Prada's Infusion d'Iris Absolue at a Sephora in the U.S. over the weekend and found it excellent. I never liked the original Infusion d'Iris - I found it had a gray, musty smell with not a lot of Iris going on. The Absolue is much rootier, and dry and elegant without being powdery. I have a decant of Le Labo Iris 39 but after a while found the Iris to be too "wet"; Prada Infusion d'Iris Absolue smells like a drier version of Iris 39. It's sophisticated and wearable - a great Iris composition. I have since been looking around at where it is available and prices...

Hermes Hiris is still one of the best in the market, in my opinion. The recent Amyris Francis Kurkdjian is very nice as well.

I'm a big fan of Eau d'Hiver Frederic Malle and Apres L'Ondee: while none of them is iris centred, in my opinion they are the best elaboration around the iris note you could ever find.
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingie View Post
    I was able to sample Prada's Infusion d'Iris Absolue at a Sephora in the U.S. over the weekend and found it excellent. I never liked the original Infusion d'Iris - I found it had a gray, musty smell with not a lot of Iris going on. The Absolue is much rootier, and dry and elegant without being powdery. I have a decant of Le Labo Iris 39 but after a while found the Iris to be too "wet"; Prada Infusion d'Iris Absolue smells like a drier version of Iris 39. It's sophisticated and wearable - a great Iris composition. I have since been looking around at where it is available and prices...
    Thanks for the info. Would definitely give this one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Irisss by Xerjoff
    The most beautiful iris I've yet come across. The rose and ylang ylang (and jasmine ? ) make the whole composition sing. It has a certain lightness too where other iris perfumes can seem rather flat and, well, dull. Given the astronomical price, it's not surprising it gets few mentions.

Banned

28 la pausa ticks with every box you mentioned!!

It starts masculine, spicy with peppers, and dries down into vetyver-iris combination, smells heavenly to me, clean and not powdery, and longevity is 5 hours plus!! It is strong scent

Iris nobile is gardenia-iris scent, more feminine but flowery

And iris silver mist is nice, but i never tried it

I assume you don't want to hear Dior homme?