Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Default Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    I really love Chanel Allure series and Bleu. Moreover I can say that Allure Homme is the best fragrance in my life so far I've smell. But there is a quite major problem with all Chanel (men) fragrances: They have average longevity and very poor projection/sillage (about 1 or 2 hours later they turn skin smell as you probably know). It bothers me much, so I wonder if these are produced as EDP will they have good longevity and sillage? If the answer is "yes" or "maybe" then this question comes with another question that why Chanel doesn't produce EDP for men?
    Last edited by andrewsidi; 29th May 2012 at 06:10 PM.

  2. #2
    Dependent rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    Some Guerlain men's fragrances are available as EdPs. I don't find that they last any longer or project more. The scent just tends to be more complex and "heavier" where the EdTs are lighter and brighter. If they do last a bit longer, it's usually at the cost of sillage.

    I find that's true for the women's fragrances as well - Mitsouko EdP is just richer and more complex that the EdT, but doesn't last any longer or project any more.

    If you want it to last longer, the only thing I've found that works is spraying on clothes and carrying around a small travel atomizer to top up during the day. I used to feel the same way, but I change my attitude recently. If I really love a fragrance that doesn't last long, it makes a lot more sense to spray some into a small atomizer and reapply mid day than to look around for something else that lasts longer but that you may not like as much.

    The other thing I have found that makes a difference is where you spray. If you spray somewhere that you smell too easily - your neck or arms - you get olfactory fatigue more easily and can't detect it anymore. Now I tend to spray lower on my chest and abdomen, under my shirt so that some spray gets on the shirt as well. With some, I will add a spray to the outside of my shirt at stomach level. That way you get whiffs throughout the day. If you want to smell it strongly all day, that's not possible - your nose will fatigue and you won't smell it anymore.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  3. #3
    Dependent fragranceman88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    2,149

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    I haven't come across a men's Chanel fragrance and though "this is weak juice" All their offerings are beastly (well at least on me) so to answer you question - they don't need to be any stronger.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    Wow! That's a great answer, and well detailed, too. Thank you so much!

    I've realized while I've been reading your answer, all the issues that you've mentioned are already in my mind someway. So I think I was searching just a little support maybe... There it is.

    I agree with all your comments. However, I wonder if this fatigue for only scents that sprayed ourself or for every scents in around? Because during the day, while I can't smell my own scent, there are lots of strong scents come my nose, moreover I can tell which is which as a fragrance name.

    I ordered Allure Sport travel spray (If Allure Homme travel spray exists, I would order it) last month from a friend in U.S. (because it is not selling in Turkey) I will try carry it awhile. I really want to get rid of that projection and longevity obsession in my mind. I hope this obsession will pass in time.

    Anyway, thank you very much for your good and detailed answer, again. And sorry for probably confusing sentences.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    I haven't come across a men's Chanel fragrance and though "this is weak juice" All their offerings are beastly (well at least on me) so to answer you question - they don't need to be any stronger.
    Thank you for your comment, maybe it's wrong with my skin, maybe my nose fatigues (but I don't think so strongly, because like I said before: I can smell all other fragrance around) or maybe it's just my obsession...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    By the way, I use my fragrances always on clothes and sometimes on my wrists and neck, too. I really use overdose, for example: I finish 100ml (3.4oz) bottle in one or one and a half month! I spray every go out from home even short time periods. I know, it's completely nonsensical, I'm gonna get rid of this insanity as soon as possible. However, still seems like they don't last long as much as they should?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    (out of the question) "fragranceman88" your avatar makes me smile while we talking about Chanel fragrances.

    RIP Coco.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    .....because Chanel knows edp's are for girls......

  9. #9

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    .....because Chanel knows edp's are for girls......
    Hahaha... Maybe you right my friend, but it's very sharp comment for me. Otherwise can we say that all the Creed, JPG, Guerlain, YSL, Hermes and so many other EDP for men users are girl or wear a fragrance that actually they shouldn't wear? But ok for me there is no problem. While I little agree with your opinion, I couldn't say it this much sharply. I can't deny it's a cool sentence. I understand you, and I could say it but I prefer not. Thank you for your opinion.
    Last edited by andrewsidi; 1st June 2012 at 02:53 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    Heh, it was just a joke andrewsidi

    I've sometimes wished for stronger fragrance concentrations myself.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Heh, it was just a joke andrewsidi
    Hehehe... And also good one but I must confess I thought a moment "is edp really girlish thing"

    Actually I'm weary of this fragrance searching, questions etc... I've been using my edt, I won't go further anymore... Whatever...

  12. #12
    Dependent rubegon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    War of the Roses
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewsidi View Post
    I agree with all your comments. However, I wonder if this fatigue for only scents that sprayed ourself or for every scents in around? Because during the day, while I can't smell my own scent, there are lots of strong scents come my nose, moreover I can tell which is which as a fragrance name.



    Anyway, thank you very much for your good and detailed answer, again. And sorry for probably confusing sentences.
    No worries - I understood you perfectly.

    As for other strong scents, I think the difference is that they are not on your skin. Having them on you means that you smell them constantly, with no interruption. If you smell someone else's strong perfume, it is only for a short time, and it is not as intense since they are not as close as your own neck.

    My family came from Spain generations ago - you are Turkish. We are both Mediterranean people, which means we have thick skin that absorbs fragrance like a sponge. Our Northern friends have thinner skin, so fragrance stays on their skin and lasts forever. Thats just the way it goea.

    I now use about 4 or 5 sprays - 3 or 4 inside the shirt and one outside. I have small spray bottles that I bought and fill with the fragrances I wear most (the ones that don't last). During the day, I spray 1 or 2 more sprays in my shirt about every 4 - 6 hours.

    With a fragrance that does not last, I find it works better to reapply than to try to get more longevity by overspraying. Two matches burning do not last twice as long - they are just twice as bright.

    Don't worry about EdP/EdT - it means nothing. It just indicates how much alcohol there is, and sometimes not even that.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  13. #13

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    No worries - I understood you perfectly.

    As for other strong scents, I think the difference is that they are not on your skin. Having them on you means that you smell them constantly, with no interruption. If you smell someone else's strong perfume, it is only for a short time, and it is not as intense since they are not as close as your own neck.

    My family came from Spain generations ago - you are Turkish. We are both Mediterranean people, which means we have thick skin that absorbs fragrance like a sponge. Our Northern friends have thinner skin, so fragrance stays on their skin and lasts forever. Thats just the way it goea.

    I now use about 4 or 5 sprays - 3 or 4 inside the shirt and one outside. I have small spray bottles that I bought and fill with the fragrances I wear most (the ones that don't last). During the day, I spray 1 or 2 more sprays in my shirt about every 4 - 6 hours.

    With a fragrance that does not last, I find it works better to reapply than to try to get more longevity by overspraying. Two matches burning do not last twice as long - they are just twice as bright.

    Don't worry about EdP/EdT - it means nothing. It just indicates how much alcohol there is, and sometimes not even that.
    All are true and relaxing explanations, thank you. I agree to your characterization about skin type, too. Like I've said before, all are like my incomplete opinions about fragrance wearing and market strategies.

    Hope they keep me a long time without question same things in my mind.

    Thank you again and again.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    they are all strong enough on me, some unpleasantly so. Also from what I understand, some men's fragrances might be technically an EDP strength, but are conventionally labelled EDT, if there's no alternate concentration being sold so that it avoids confusion when comparing with other products.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    Quote Originally Posted by pawful View Post
    they are all strong enough on me, some unpleasantly so. Also from what I understand, some men's fragrances might be technically an EDP strength, but are conventionally labelled EDT, if there's no alternate concentration being sold so that it avoids confusion when comparing with other products.
    I see, thank you very much.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    Many houses don't explicitly state that their men's fragrances are EdP strength. Dior and Guerlain and others will call an EdP version "Extreme" or "Intense" or some other nonsense so their male clientele aren't scared off by the supposed female connotation of "Eau de Parfum" of course the whole thing is ludicrous.

    Many of Chanel's mainline men's frags are poor in longevity on me. Allure Homme is an exception, but most of the others including Allure Homme Edition Blanche are poor on longevity and projection.

    Chanel's Les Exclusifs range (which only come in EdT) however have phenomenal longevity and projection on me, some are beastly creatures which roar their presence on my skin for hours and hours try some if you can.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    Bleu de Chanel can now be found in the eau de parfum.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    Their higher concentration versions of some of their male fragrances may be, at least up to a certain point, compared to EDP.

  19. #19
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    83,991

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    The new Bleu De Chanel might be the first EDP in a series of other higher concentrations of other mens scents to follow. We'll see.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Why Chanel Doesn't Produce Eau De Parfum For Men?

    I don't think Chanel needed to come up with an EdP of something, seeing it from a performance point of view. The original Allure is about the only I thing they produce that does not last on me. Antaeus, Egoiste, Platinum Egoiste, etc all fill rooms, easily.

Similar Threads

  1. Chanel No. 19 Parfum
    By NYCBoy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 25th March 2010, 01:56 AM
  2. Chanel no 22 parfum - Should I do it?
    By paeonyrose in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28th November 2009, 04:36 PM
  3. why doesn't chanel present another brilliant scent?
    By farshad in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 7th June 2007, 04:25 PM
  4. Where to buy Chanel 22 parfum?
    By kshepherd in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd June 2006, 01:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000