Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Smile All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 2, 2012 *** CITRUS

Mmm-mmm. Did you sample a new citrus scent in the past year? Are you still loving an old fave? Tell us what refreshes.

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental — Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010, Jan. 2011, Jan. 2012
    Animalic — Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010, Feb. 2011, Feb. 2012
    Chypre — March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010, March 2011, March 2012
    Floral — April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010, April 2011, April 2012
    Fruity — May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010, May 2011, May 2012
    Citrus — June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010, June 2011
    Green — July 2008, July 2009, July 2010, July 2011
    Fresh — Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010, Aug. 2011
    Fougere — Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender — Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009, Sept. 2010, Sept. 2011
    Ambery — Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009, Oct. 2010, Oct. 2011
    Spicy — Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010, Nov. 2011
    Gourmand — Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009, Dec. 2010, Dec. 2011
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, June 2, 2012 *** CITRUS

Now this gives me an opportunity to take some of my faves away with me.
    Diorella?
    Chanel Eau de Cologne?
    Christalle?
    Oh dear a week in a touring caravan and no perfume buying opportunities

Great! I'll definitely join citrus assignment for the beginning of June this Saturday. Have few citruses up my sleeve

Basenotes Plus

For Citrus SnS I chose the bright and tangy Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose. Manages the neat trick of staying refreshing without going sour or rank, not always easy for a grapefruit scent to pull off.

Notes include grapefruit, orange, rose, rhubofix, vetiver.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I'm wearing Sous le Vent today. It's much more than a 'citrus'. Mostly, it's an aromatic, green-citric chypré with a slightly indolic element in the background (needs liberal application) that seems to come from an element that is also part of honey (I once analyzed the ingredients list meticulously). It is 'currently still part' of the Guerlain line-up, but I expect this to go in 2013. There are only few bottles sitting around on shelves worldwide, so you've been warned a couple of times, if this, one of the greatest secrets in perfumery IMO, is quickly gone for good. Try it now, if you haven't! Have a great weekend all!

Basenotes Institution

It's going to be Eau de Guerlain in the morning and most likely Blu Mediterraneo Capri Arancia by Acqua di Parma in the afternoon...that seems to be a citrus staple for me. Oh how I wish that I had more Acqua Viva by Profumum (sigh)
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

This morning, before heading out to work, l drained my sample of Escentric 01. This has lemon & pepper in the opening, with a touch of woods. lt dried down more quickly than l remembered from the first wearing, into a very nice mossy ambergris.

After lunch, l topped up with a spritz or two of Sisley's Eau d'lkar, from a sample l originally got for my bf to try. lt didn't work for him, but l really like this on me! To my nose it has a long-lasting grapefruit note, backed up with a sweetish, cool & leafy-green accord, which l think is the mastic. When l first tried this in the winter, it didn't last long, but in the heat it projects & lasts beautifully! l recommend this as a very refreshing, unisex & long-lasting summer citrus.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

A new-to-me scent entered my favorites list recently, thanks to the happenstance arrival of a sample Cacio included in his donation of scents for the zoo's big cat scent project (which reminds me, I should check with the zookeeper). All this is to preface my assertion, yet again, that when I plot to sample, I am no more successful in finding a wonderful perfume than when samples fall into my lap.

This wonderous creation is Patricia de Nicolai's Cologne Sologne, which I perceive as a traditional cologne with neroli tendencies. The official notes are neroli, sandalwood, grapefruit, lemon verbena, and Sicilian bergamot. The lasting power is above average for a cologne of this type. The bottle is a big disappointment glamour-wise, and I don't know why this tasteful perfumer has chosen the transluscent, pale blue balls for caps on her product line. I guess I can always transfer CS to an Annick Goutal bottle.

I will probably get around to researching what is up with the rhymie Cologne Sologne name. Was she being goofy or clever beyond my understanding?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    This morning, before heading out to work, l drained my sample of Escentric 01. This has lemon & pepper in the opening, with a touch of woods. lt dried down more quickly than l remembered from the first wearing, into a very nice mossy ambergris.

After lunch, l topped up with a spritz or two of Sisley's Eau d'lkar, from a sample l originally got for my bf to try. lt didn't work for him, but l really like this on me! To my nose it has a long-lasting grapefruit note, backed up with a sweetish, cool & leafy-green accord, which l think is the mastic. When l first tried this in the winter, it didn't last long, but in the heat it projects & lasts beautifully! l recommend this as a very refreshing, unisex & long-lasting summer citrus.
    Eau d'Ikar will go on my sniff list, teardrop. You made it sound enticing. In reading other's reviews, I continue to like what I'm hearing -- except for the one frightening remark from this presumed English-as-a-second-language author:

"No probblem of longevity or sillage... Spray a little on your clothes if you want to irradiate."

Quarry, it's obviously this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sologne
    Cologne Sologne is indeed fantastic, a great refreshment. Nicolai sells this off their site (under Bath) per litre at a very favorable price. I like being generous with this kind of fragrance.
    I'm theoretically still in sync with Jicky EdP. Compared to the former PdT most of the citrus is gone or hardly detectable. It's lavender galore at first (I love that) with the best and dirtiest vanilla Guerlain has ever produced gradually joining in. I like to think I can detect the dash of birch tar that is added for smokiness. One of my greatest loves!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Eau d'Ikar will go on my sniff list, teardrop. You made it sound enticing. In reading other's reviews, I continue to like what I'm hearing -- except for the one frightening remark from this presumed English-as-a-second-language author:

"No probblem of longevity or sillage... Spray a little on your clothes if you want to irradiate."
    LOL! Only too happy to enable you, Quarry!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I was going to try being original and pick something not yet mentioned, but Larimar's choice of Sous le Vent was just too darn tempting, so I am going to put that on right now!

Blog Entries

MPG, Sanguine Muskissime. I just found this bottle in storage. It's really lovely but very light which is probably why I put it away. It smells like orange baby aspirin and light musk.

Basenotes Plus

It was sunny and warm/hot earlier this week so I thought it would be perfect for citrus today. But I forgot about our weather phenomenon here called "June gloom" The fog just rolls in and turns everything gray, damp and cool.

So I'm trying to warm up in my citrus choice- Laura Biagiotti Roma fits the bill perfectly as a spicy light oriental

Launched in 1988, but I had never excountered it before BN. Published notes:
    Top: black currant, sicilian bergamot, pink grapefruit, mint and hiacynth;
    Middle notes are carnation, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and rose (I really don't get any of these on my skin)
    Base notes are amber, sandalwood, singapore patchouli, musk, civet, vanilla, oakmoss and myrrh. (I get amber, patch,vanilla, and myrrh)
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Blog Entries

Changed to Annick Goutal-Neroli. It's very pretty and seems to have good sillage, so far. Much better than the MPG.

Bois de Jasmine review;
    Although this spring we have several new orange blossom perfumes, from Lancôme Ô de l’Orangerieto Guerlain Floral Romantique, I still pledge loyalty to an orange blossom fragrance that offers the most authentic tribute to the beauty of this marvelously contrasted note–Annick Goutal Néroli. Néroli is not a complicated fragrance, yet with a few carefully balanced accords, it conveys both the sparkling innocence and the languid warmth of orange blossom.
    Created in 2003 by Camille Goutal and Isabelle Doyen, the dynamic duo behind the Annick Goutal fragrance line, Néroli is built around the combination of orange blossom absolute and neroli. While both come from the bitter orange blossom, different processing methods result in different olfactory profiles. Orange blossom is darker, richer and more voluptuous, while neroli is greener and fresher. Their complementary qualities make for a particularly multifaceted orange flower accord. The composition is accented with aromatic basil and bergamot, while vanilla and cedarwood create a smooth, polished base. While the initial impression of Néroli is effervescent and green, it becomes velvety and floral as it dries down.
    In fact, the main reason I prefer Néroli over many other orange blossom fragrances is its pronounced floral aspect. It gives Néroli a delicate, petally feeling, which contrasts with the sharper, greener character of fragrances like Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, Christian Dior Escale à Portofino andAtelier Cologne Grand Néroli. While Néroli does not quite reach the exquisite richness of L’Artisan Parfumeur Fleur d’Oranger, it has an exhilarating quality that makes it suitable as a refreshing summer fragrance or an uplifting cologne. On the other hand, this winter it has been among my staple fragrances, which is probably why I fared so well through our incessant snows. Néroli reminded me that the spring is not that far away.
    Néroli includes notes of bergamot, petitgrain, neroli, orange blossom, cedarwood, and vanilla. Néroli was originally released as a limited edition along with Le Chèvrefeuille, Des Lys, Le Jasmin, Le Muguet and La Violette. Since then, Néroli has joined the permanent collection. Available from Neiman Marcus, Barneys New York, Aedes and other retailers. $115, 100ml.

In the end, I went to Philtre d'amour, of which a generous BNer sent a sample. Citrus, on a bitter background and with some flowers.

Given Quarry's suggestion, I was tempted by Cologne Sologne, but cologne are too fleeting, so I wanted something a little longer lasting. I have been however wearing Cologne sologne as a freshener after the gym this week.

cacio

I will do Cologne Sologne this morning - as a refreshment - for breakfast outside and before I leave wearing something different for the day. To me it is straight-up diluted neroli essential oil, which is a good thing, also because it is natural. I am so put off by Tom Ford and the kinds with their synthetic amplification. Their strength is too much and they almost invariably end up being screechy.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Quarry, it's obviously this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sologne
    Cologne Sologne is indeed fantastic, a great refreshment. Nicolai sells this off their site (under Bath) per litre at a very favorable price. I like being generous with this kind of fragrance.
    I'm theoretically still in sync with Jicky EdP. Compared to the former PdT most of the citrus is gone or hardly detectable. It's lavender galore at first (I love that) with the best and dirtiest vanilla Guerlain has ever produced gradually joining in. I like to think I can detect the dash of birch tar that is added for smokiness. One of my greatest loves!
    L again contributes to my education with worldly sophistication. I suspect there's still a 1% playful goofiness in the name choice. I respect calculated goofiness.

Would seem nearly heretical not to choose CS right now, so it's my SOT a.m. Can't understand why DH doesn't like this. Must mean I need to apply more until he gets it.

I was traveling all day yesterday so I didn't get to sniff 'n speak. I love citrus scents, especially the astringent colognes that are meant to be splashed around as aromatherapeutic refreshers. I like the idea of lying down in a darkened room with a cool cologne-drenched cloth on my head. I've never actually tried that, but it appeals to me. Annick Goutal's Hadrien has been a favorite of mine for years now. I think it is a perfect citrus scent. I understand it has been reformulated. Other citrus scents I've always enjoyed are citrussy florals because they lift my spirits. Clinique Happy and D&G Feminine are a couple that I've enjoyed - I mean really worn consistently and used them up. There are so many in that genre, but they have to hit me just right: a friendly floral/citrus, and not too artsy to be happy go lucky. Mango is not *officially* citrus but it affects me the same way. I looooove mango. You know, I've never sampled the Hermès Jardin Nil scent but everybody raves about it so I suppose I should some day. I'm just afraid that it is too austere and classy to be the type of citrus scent I can relate to.

Blog Entries

Sur le Nil is a most wearable scent. I especially love the lotus blossom.

Basenotes Plus

I agree with kumquat- it's doesnt feel austere on skin to me. Try it!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

bleu autumn haze

I wore bond Little Italy yesterday for citrus SnS day. What a treat! Little Italy is a simple, yet happy orange fragrance. On a cloudy day, it's a ray of sunshine ... on a hot, sunny day, it's a refreshing drink of orange soda.

From the Bond No9 website:

"Citrus-flavored melt-in-your mouth gelato in spray form. A smooth but zesty mingling of exotic fruits — think of this one as an updated invigorating splash of eau. Oh!"

Notes: Clementine, grapefruit, mandarin
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Sur le Nil is a most wearable scent. I especially love the lotus blossom.
    Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    I agree with kumquat- it's doesnt feel austere on skin to me. Try it!
    With two such reliable recommendations I will definitely give it a try!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Here's a big (((SQUEEZE)))
    for all who contributed to this thread.

Blog Entries

Hee! Thanks Quarry!