Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Ramon Monegal, Barcelona: A New Line

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    Nice bottles and interesting notes, but as someone said, 14 fragrances in first launch?
    Mate, just do a little research and read the story of Ramon Monegal, so you can easily picture for yourself how it could be possible to start with 14 fragrances and that there's no conspiracy behind it...

Last edited by BassWurst; 2nd July 2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Basenotes inoperative again... *sigh*

Power Where You Need It

Anyone interested can check my review of Agar Musk here.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

Why, thank you Mr A is for amazing! Yes, isn't the treatment of these materials really interesting? I said something about that in a previous post. There is a transparency, even in the basenotes. A nice alternative, kind of unexpected?

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Why, thank you Mr A is for amazing! Yes, isn't the treatment of these materials really interesting? I said something about that in a previous post. There is a transparency, even in the basenotes. A nice alternative, kind of unexpected?
    Absolutely. They may result kinda underwhelming at first but, once you get warm to them, they strikes as incredibly easy to wear and while surely understated, still incredibly elegant. Agar Musk and Entre Naranjos are, so far, my favorites but I still have to test quite a few others...Next one will be Impossible Iris...you made me so curious, Foustie.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Thanks to you I'm now wearing Mon Cuir, and bloody hell, this stuff is gorgeous! I mean luckily I don't live in a hot country so it's not an issue, but if you live anywhere warm and miss your Leathers in the summer then this could be for you. It's light, even heady, somewhat soapy and floral/vegetal up top, but with a big bang of REAL (slightly dirty) leather behind all that. Haven't smelt anything else by this house but if this is anything to go by then they're more than worth a sniff. Mon Cuir's on my to-buy-list.

I tried a couple of them, they didn't particularly impress me - less for the price they're asking for...

Sound Scents

Thanks to Foustie's enormous generosity I am working through some samples I am sharing with Hedonist that just arrived and have now given Umbra a whirl for my first experience with the house... Here is my just posted mini-review of it:

Umbra opens with a blast of fresh clean vetiver, before giving way to a peppery geranium tandem. The scent then takes a sweet turn by adding a large dose of tonka bean to the vetiver and geranium adding faint hints of oak moss and other woody aspects. The combined overall vetiver, tonka and woody accord reminds me somewhat vaguely of the sweet woody scent in Micallef's Gaiac (not that Umbra smells like it, per se). Projection and longevity are both below average.

I really enjoyed the vetiver opening to Umbra as it is quite fresh and invigorating. The geranium is also done quite well and relatively discrete, not calling too much undue attention to itself while melding with the pepper, but ever-present. The part of Umbra I have the hardest time with is the prominent use of tonka bean in the heart notes that turns the scent quite sweet. This somewhat makes the woody aspects of the scent a bit less desirable to my personal taste. Still, while I would say Umbra is not my kind of woody scent, I can still appreciate it as a good composition and give it a "good" 3 out of 5 stars.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are my thoughts on the second sample of RM... Dry Wood. In short I found this one acceptable, but disappointing. My review follows:

Dry Wood opens with a nose burning blast of citron before quickly calming down to allow the lemon-like citron to smooth out, joining with just a touch of black pepper to dirty it up a bit. The citron and pepper remain into the early heart notes, where a strong woody accord presents itself. This wood contains hints of cedar, but there is some other wood in there that I am having a hard time identifying. In the mid heart an extremely strong bay leaf note emerging from the base takes the fore and dominates everything else completely through the base notes. Projection and longevity are outstanding.

This one is a scent on paper that I should love, but I confess I don't. The opening citron blast was quite the shocker that really could clear sinuses and I mean it. Things got off to a disappointing start but began to right themselves as the citron calmed down and allowed one to really appreciate it. It actually meshes with the woody accord quite well and I started to enjoy the scent... Then the bay leaf completely spoiled things in my mind as I kept likening it more than a bit to the dry-down of Havana by Aramis (a scent I love) but the bay leaf is much stronger here and less desirable smelling, IMO. On the whole I don't dislike Dry Wood and it has some nice strengths at times, but at the kind of prices RM charges, a scent has to really impress and I don't think Dry Wood lives up to the standard. I personally would stick to the much better Havana at a fraction of the price of this one. My rating is a very average 2.5 out of 5 stars.
    Last edited by drseid; 14th July 2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: spelling
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Soul by Costume National

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post

This one is a scent on paper that I should love, but I confess I don't.
    Same here drseid. Exactly. This one is an odd one for me. It doesn't seem to be in keeping with the rest of the collection. It doesn't have the signature the transparency, the elegance. If you compare it, for example, to Entre Naranjos.... well, there is no comparison.

I couldn't "get" Dry Wood. It just seemed like a very strong, very oily, vetiver - like, but not vetiver to, me. Very "raw". Having said that I think that it might appeal to those guys who like a raw powerhouse vetiver/petroleum fragrance, so I would highly recommend that they try it. But for me, no.

Hi Hilaire! Loved your leather reviews! I hope that you actually get some summer to wear your Mon Cuir!

Banned

Thanks for the heads up, and all the abstracts contained herein.

Sound Scents

Next up for my sampling binge is White Musk. This one is not really my kind of scent, but I did think it smelled good... Probably I would prefer smelling it on a lady, but that is just me...

White Musk opens extremely gardenia heavy with a vanilla undertone that is ever so slightly powdery. The super-powerful gardenia remains well into the heart notes, now joined by a very clean light musk emerging from the base that adds nice support with just the faintest hint of rose present well in the background. Pretty much that is all there is as the scent is very linear. Projection and longevity are excellent.

White Musk is a very competent composition that is rather minimalist but well put together. My largest gripe with it is its heavy (I could argue too heavy) reliance on gardenia which really overpowers a lot of the rest of the notes. I find it a bit tough to wear as a man due to the gardenia coupled with its heavy projection, however I do not mean to imply it is *not* wearable by folks of both genders. If you like clean musk scents this is a good one, but make sure you like gardenia as well, as you will definitely need to in order to fully appreciate White Musk, IMO. Even though this is not my kind of scent, it is worth a sniff and I award it an above average 3 out 5 stars.
    Last edited by drseid; 14th July 2012 at 06:51 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Absolutely. They may result kinda underwhelming at first but, once you get warm to them, they strikes as incredibly easy to wear and while surely understated, still incredibly elegant. Agar Musk and Entre Naranjos are, so far, my favorites but I still have to test quite a few others...Next one will be Impossible Iris...you made me so curious, Foustie.
    I've just tried Entre Naranjos and L'Eau de Rose - and I liked them both. They seem very sophisticated - in part due to their "less is more" approach. I'm looking forward to more wears of both, as well as trying the others. I should note that one of the remaining ones leaked just a tiny bit in transit. No loss of volume, but the smell of the package was heavenly when I opened it. I'm dying to find out which one is responsible for that amazing aroma!

I just recently received my samples from the lovely and generous Foustie. Yesterday I tried out L'Eau de Rose. It was a really hot, muggy day, which means that perfume tends to 'burn off' rather quickly. I was delighted with how well L'Eau de Rose lasted. It is a very clean, light fragrance, but it definitely stick around. I kept thinking it was gone, and then I would gesture or move my hair and promptly get another whiff of it. A friend of mine complimented it a full 8 hours after I had applied.

The rose scent was very light smelling, and lasted throughout the entire day. About 15 minutes in, I started getting Patchouli, too, and it was another hour before I could really smell the musk. I loved how much these two were supporting players - the rose really was the star of the show. My general impression of the scent was that it was sophisticated without being stuffy, simple, light, and wearable. I could definitely wear this in a business or informal setting. I'm still trying to get my husband to try it, so we''ll see how that goes, I am quite curious as to how it would smell on a male.

Today I tried White Musk, and after an initial blast of gardenia, it swiftly died out. I'll be out of town tomorrow in a totally different climate, so I will try it again and see if I have a different impression.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I've just tried Entre Naranjos and L'Eau de Rose - and I liked them both. They seem very sophisticated - in part due to their "less is more" approach. I'm looking forward to more wears of both, as well as trying the others. I should note that one of the remaining ones leaked just a tiny bit in transit. No loss of volume, but the smell of the package was heavenly when I opened it. I'm dying to find out which one is responsible for that amazing aroma!
    Aw Boo! We don't like leaks! I am going to bet that "heavenly" smell is the Iris!! We will see!

Sound Scents

Here are my thoughts on Entre Naranjos... Bottom line is this one is over all too soon, but is superb smelling while it lasts and is easily my favorite of the four I have tried so far.

Entre Naranjos opens with the main star of the scent, orange blossom, coupling with a green-like invigorating herbal bitter orange and petitgrain combo. The herbal bitter orange recedes in the early heart notes, but the orange blossom remains throughout slowly melding with mild amber from the base. Finally all but just a trace of the orange blossom disappears letting the amber take a bit more of a role in the fleeting base before the scent disappears entirely. Projection is average and longevity is well-below average.

Entre Naranjos is a beautiful composition that deftly melds the floral aspects of orange blossom with bitter orange to create a great fresh and natural smelling pick-me-up. The petitgrain also adds a bit of a "green" vibe to the composition, adding to its allure. The scent is very natural smelling and the bitter orange in particular is extremely well-done. The only problem with the scent in my mind is its relatively brief longevity (something that plagues many citrus scents to be fair). That said, longevity aside Entre Naranjos is easily the best of the four scents I have tried from the house to date and is a very strong entry in the citrus category by Monegal, well-deserving of an excellent 4 out of 5 stars.
    Last edited by drseid; 14th July 2012 at 02:29 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Power Where You Need It

Drseid, Entre Naranjos is surely among my favorites as well but I'm wondring If anyone else get the connection with Mark Birley For Men? Are you familiar with the latter?

Sound Scents

I am not, only having tried Charles Street from that house...
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Power Where You Need It

I am not, only having tried Charles Street from that house...
    Then you'll have to test it. The original For Men shares nothing with Charles Street.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Then you'll have to test it. The original For Men shares nothing with Charles Street.
    That is a good thing in my case, as I disliked Charles Street... I'll add a sample on with my next LuckyScent order. Thanks for the tip...
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Power Where You Need It

That is a good thing in my case, as I disliked Charles Street... I'll add a sample on with my next LuckyScent order. Thanks for the tip...
    I kinda liked Charles Street but never enough to pull the trigger on a full bottle. On the other hand, Mark Birley For Men is a truly underrated gem and an all-star fragrance composed by Frederic Malle and Pierre Bourdon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Windblownhair View Post
    I just recently received my samples from the lovely and generous Foustie. Yesterday I tried out L'Eau de Rose. It was a really hot, muggy day, which means that perfume tends to 'burn off' rather quickly. I was delighted with how well L'Eau de Rose lasted. It is a very clean, light fragrance, but it definitely stick around. I kept thinking it was gone, and then I would gesture or move my hair and promptly get another whiff of it. A friend of mine complimented it a full 8 hours after I had applied.

The rose scent was very light smelling, and lasted throughout the entire day. About 15 minutes in, I started getting Patchouli, too, and it was another hour before I could really smell the musk. I loved how much these two were supporting players - the rose really was the star of the show. My general impression of the scent was that it was sophisticated without being stuffy, simple, light, and wearable. I could definitely wear this in a business or informal setting. I'm still trying to get my husband to try it, so we''ll see how that goes, I am quite curious as to how it would smell on a male.

Today I tried White Musk, and after an initial blast of gardenia, it swiftly died out. I'll be out of town tomorrow in a totally different climate, so I will try it again and see if I have a different impression.
    Nice impressions of L'Eau de Rose, Windblownhair! No disagreement whatsoever. This rendition of rose attains a really invigorating freshness without being either cliche or unnatural. I would say at this point that it's tied with Entre Naranjos on my Monegal bucket list. I agree that it's versatile enough to be worn in anything from the most formal to the most casual circumstances.

It's not bad on a guy, either - it's not so overly feminine (light floral, woodless) that it couldn't be mistaken for a very fresh masculine rose scent. If you stole the rose out of Creed Windsor, and made it younger and just a touch more feminine and modern, you might land close to L'Eau de Rose.

In fact, overall, I'm getting the impression that Creed lovers (but not only Creed lovers) will enjoy this house. I feel like these compositions are distinctive without being unconventional. An while they don't feel dated, they feel respectful of tradition. All of that adds up to stuff which Creed fans can go for.

Sound Scents

Up today is Cuirelle... This is a very nice frankincense scent with suede-like leather accents throughout. A good one for sure...

Cuirelle opens with a suede-like smooth and creamy leathery accord sweetened with traces of patchouli, before segueing into its waxy honeyed frankincense laced leathery heart with cinnamon and mild woody cedar accents providing support. The frankincense and cinnamon hang around though the dry-down as the suede dissipates leaving the scent slightly sweet during the base notes. Longevity and projection are both average.

Cuirelle is definitely not the leather scent I anticipated it to be. It rather is more of a slightly sweet frankincense fragrance with suede leather supporting it throughout. Honey to a greater extent and patchouli to a lesser one play significant roles in sweetening the scent while not altering it primary nature. I find myself truly enjoying this take on frankincense and leather and feel Cuirelle is a fine addition to the Monegal house. Hardcore leather purists may be somewhat put-off by it providing more of a "spirit" of leather presentation rather than a "straight" presentation as is usually found, but I find it rather intriguing and refreshingly different. Cuirelle is very good smelling and earns a strong 3.5 out of 5 star rating.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Blog Entries

Up today is Cuirelle... This is a very nice frankincense scent with suede-like leather accents throughout. A good one for sure...

Cuirelle opens with a suede-like smooth and creamy leathery accord sweetened with traces of patchouli, before segueing into its waxy honeyed frankincense laced leathery heart with cinnamon and mild woody cedar accents providing support. The frankincense and cinnamon hang around though the dry-down as the suede dissipates leaving the scent slightly sweet during the base notes. Longevity and projection are both average.

Cuirelle is definitely not the leather scent I anticipated it to be. It rather is more of a slightly sweet frankincense fragrance with suede leather supporting it throughout. Honey to a greater extent and patchouli to a lesser one play significant roles in sweetening the scent while not altering it primary nature. I find myself truly enjoying this take on frankincense and leather and feel Cuirelle is a fine addition to the Monegal house. Hardcore leather purists may be somewhat put-off by it providing more of a "spirit" of leather presentation rather than a "straight" presentation as is usually found, but I find it rather intriguing and refreshingly different. Cuirelle is very good smelling and earns a strong 3.5 out of 5 star rating.
    Nice!

I like this one, too. This may be my top pick of the six I've tried.

It's a very interesting leather - it has some aspects that give it a very classic feel, but others (like the style of the sweetness) that add a modern, somewhat feminine vibe, but without detracting one bit from the sophistication. This may actually be my favorite leather at this point. I'm not normally much of a leather fan, but this one is really attractive to me.

I like the way it has the gravitas of the old leathers, but real youth. I want to spray it all over the T-Mobile girl, now that she's lost the dress and gotten on the motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    In fact, overall, I'm getting the impression that Creed lovers (but not only Creed lovers) will enjoy this house. I feel like these compositions are distinctive without being unconventional. An while they don't feel dated, they feel respectful of tradition. All of that adds up to stuff which Creed fans can go for.
    Before reading this impression, I thought Monegal may be somewhat similar to Heeley's approach to fragrances. Now I am definitely intrigued.

Dear Alfarom,
    Where can we get in touch or buy the stuff. ??
    Have they any an email..???
    Do they sell samples./?
    tks
    al

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Sample, sample, sample, Oh Yeah. Sample, sample.

Blog Entries

Cuirelle opens with a suede-like smooth and creamy leathery accord sweetened with traces of patchouli, before segueing into its waxy honeyed frankincense laced leathery heart with cinnamon and mild woody cedar accents providing support.
    This is the kind of review that gives you no choice but to go to the said fragrance and smell/wear it. I think that Cuirelle is gorgeous. There is a little sweetness there but there is also enough dryness to counter that. It suggests suede, not leather per se. Soft, sweet skin on skin. Very sensuous. Very beautiful.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The dry wood edp and Agar Must edp sound tempting..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    Before reading this impression, I thought Monegal may be somewhat similar to Heeley's approach to fragrances. Now I am definitely intrigued.
    I'm not really familiar with Heeley - I've sniffed them, I'm sure, but don't really remember much. So Heeley may be a better fit, overall. But Monegal seems to merge aspects of the older, stiffer Creeds (BdP, JIE) and more modern ones (Acqua Fiorentina) in the same fragrance. Cuirelle is a perfect example.

I'm pretty sure a bottle of Cuirelle, Eau de Rose, or Entre Naranjos will end up in my collection. Agar Musk is nice, too. The only one that's not floating my boat is Lovely Day, and even that one grabbed my attention initially. My wife loves Impossible Iris, too.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I will bring my samples to the Las Vegas BN meet-up in 3 months. They're big enough for everybody to sniff, and for everybody to pick out one to wear.

White musk, take 2.
    I tried this scent 2 days ago, but as the temp was 110, it burned off really quickly. Yesterday I was in a much more temperate climate, so I tried the white musk again. It definitely had much more longevity yesterday.

The opening was still quite strong on gardenia, but this time I also got a liberal dose of vanilla. The combination of floral and sweetness was quite nice. As time passed, I really got a lot more musk and wood, with still a touch of sweetness from the vanilla. It lasted for probably about 6 hours, and the scent was strong throughout the 6 hours.

Compared to L'eau de Rose, I wouldn't call the White Musk magical. There wasn't anything about it that was surprising or outside the box, but it was still a very nice and balanced scent.