Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Ramon Monegal, Barcelona: A New Line

I have been wondering when this interview was being published! I was just thinking about it today!

I have been looking forward to this interview very much, and my word Alfarom, it was well worth the wait. What a fascinating read, and just lovely actually. I particularly like the sections where Mr Monegal talks about materials, and the section where he talks about his style. That is wonderful and it explains my own feelings about his fragrances. It is fascinating how he has succesfully conveyed his intentions, his concept, to finished fragrances.

Also, thank you so much for focusing in on the Impossible Iris.

A wonderful interview. Thank You to Alfarom and to Mr Monegal.

Thanks, Foustie. I really appreciate that! You guys and gals are a bunch of lovely friends!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Two tidbits about Roses;

1) Around twelve years ago in Palma, Majorca, I came across the Adolfo Dominguez line. At the time they had a new release (a limited edition I think), called Noche de Rosas. I liked it, bought it, and over the next couple of days I realised that I REALLY liked it, enough that I thought that I had better get some more. We were never back in Palma City during the holiday so I tried to get it at the Airport but they didn't have it. I have never seen it anywhere else. Every time anyone was going to Spain I asked them to keep an eye out, and sure enough, several years later, a friend managed to get it for me. I still have a dribble in that bottle. It is a beautiful uncluttered transparent rose with interest but no stodge. Less is more. Is this sounding familiar? THen I read Alfa's interview and it all fell into place. Then I emailed....

Guess who composed it?!

Ha! AND, I have now managed to find a Spanish website (a discounter) who has limited stocks, so I have ordered some. http://www.perfumesyregalos.com/es/club-perfumes. I'll let you know when it comes. maybe this one would interest you Red!

2) Before the discovery above (honest!) I had changed my mind about he Ramon Monegal L'Eau De Rose. I had said before that I found it to be an incredibly lovely rose but not satifying to wear. Well the other week I craved something crystal clear and I wore L'Eau de Rose, on a cold day. It was more robust than I thought before and I really enjoyed it.

EDIT. Postie came while I was writing!!!! It is here, so the website is good. I'm drenched. (On top of my SOTD, who cares)

EDIT 2. Hmmmm. Time marches on..... Is this the same? Well worth the money though (less than 40 Euro for 100ml, with a shower gel and body lotion!). A natural/synthetic, rose, bit fruity, light woods.
    Last edited by Foustie; 17th October 2012 at 01:03 PM.

L'eau De Rose. A Rose Revisited .

When I tried this Rose some months ago I found it to be perfect Rose, but such a perfect Rose that it was like an example of what could be achieved. A fragrance which should perhaps be in a glass case in a Perfumers Museum, the most perfect Elixir. I said that I could have smelled this repeatedly all day, but that somehow I didn't find it so satisfying to wear. I thought that I would try it again in the Summer heat when it would be clear and refreshing.

Today I have discovered something else about this Rose. It is freezing temperatures here in Scotland. The ground is white with frost and the air seems full of oxygen. I revisited this little Rose today, and in the Winter cold, it shines. In fact this little Rose shines like a beacon, a beacon of hope. I can't explain it fully. I am being completely honest when I say that it actually brought tears to my eyes.

L'Eau de Rose, born in Barcelona. A summer rose for many I would think, an anytime Rose for others, but for me, a Winter Rose.

I finally managed to smell some of the Monegals (in San Diego), and came back to this great thread. They didn't have the whole line there, and in any case I had only the nose for 4. I started with Cuirelle on my wrist: as others have said, very beautiful, rich, smooth suede. Haven't decided if it is fbw yet, but very good. On the other wrist, Agar Musk, where I didn't detect much oud per se, it's relatively fresh- besides, compared to cuirelle, it's rather light, so I didn't pay much attention.

Then on paper I tried three, Umbra, another one that was supposed to be something he did for his daughter's wedding (perhaps entre naranjos?), and a third one I now suspect was Voramar. With Cuirelle already on, they didn't register much. Umbra is somewhat fresh and pleasant and a touch sweet, the third one smelled a little synth, but I simply put the strips in my pocket and kept smelling my wrist.

While in the pocket, the third strip revealed its evil intents and butchered the other two. When I took them out, the evil strip assaulted me with a humongous marine note, calone to the max. (That's why I say it must have been Voramar, it's the only one that corresponds to this description). And it continued to so so for days, as I kept the strip on my table in shock and awe. Lovers of Tirrenico, rejoice, another niche marine! Compared to Tirrenico, it escapes the driftwood and assorted decomposing shellfish so prominent there and concentrates rather on a antiseptic, brighter exaltation of calone. It must be the combo of calone plus some peppery synth. Indeed, as shown by the notorious Ambrarem, pepper seems to have the power to multiply the marine's assault power.

Next time, I will try to smell more hopeful examples, perhaps Mon Cuir or Mon patch, as well as give a proper, undisturbed wearing to Entre naranjos.

cacio

Reviving an old thread, Ramon's scents have been out awhile now...what are your favorites? I have sampled Every fragrance he has put out...Favorite Dry Wood (but poor longevity) Agar Musk..(The only real FB for me.) Mon Cuir Nice but (I like a more animalistic leather) Endre Naranjos (don't like the orange.) Cherry Musk, Kiss My Name, Lovely Day (forgettable)

Hi Diogenes65. Hmmm, that's interesting! I found Dry Woods to be incredibly tenacious, and it's the only one that I don't like. In fact, when Cacio mentioned a synth one that killed all the others I immediately thought that it must have been Dry Woods, although he goes on to explain that it wasn't.

I have lots of favourites. I really like Monegal's style, spare, uncluttered, modern. I think that I overlooked some of the flowers to begin with because I was really enjoying the Ambers, Woods, and Leathers, so now I'm trying Lovely Day and Kiss my Name. Back soon..

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Hi Diogenes65. Hmmm, that's interesting! I found Dry Woods to be incredibly tenacious, and it's the only one that I don't like. In fact, when Cacio mentioned a synth one that killed all the others I immediately thought that it must have been Dry Woods, although he goes on to explain that it wasn't.

I have lots of favourites. I really like Monegal's style, spare, uncluttered, modern. I think that I overlooked some of the flowers to begin with because I was really enjoying the Ambers, Woods, and Leathers, so now I'm trying Lovely Day and Kiss my Name. Back soon..
    Foustie, Let me clarify: Dry Wood's tenacity is in it's Norlimbinol...Yes that note lingered forever. That sharp very dry note is somehow addicting to me. It was the rest that seemed a bit fleeting. And Yes, much of his outdoors/nature notes are wonderful. I bought a "discovery pack" of 12 or 13 of his frags. from Parfum1.com, and found some of his offerings like Umbra and Mon Cuir to be pleasant.

Basenotes Plus

I have only worn 5 in samplings. Absolute favorite is Agar Musk - suave, sophisticated, doesn't try too hard. Dry Woods is utterly unwearable on me - it's 'nails across the chalkboard'. Cuirelle is another I enjoy though it's not original. Not particularly impressed with Impossible Iris nor Mon Patchouly; I find them somewhat too linear/flat.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing Lovely Day now, it's horrible. Aquatic fruit mess. I imagine this will last like...forever. (sigh)
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I don't get the appreciation for this brand - the best I've tested barely reached my "decent" treshold (let's just forget the worst).
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | YSL M7 AS, Ungaro II EDT, Gucci Envy for Men AS, Signoricci EDT, Capucci PH EDT, Montana PH EDT...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wearing Lovely Day now, it's horrible. Aquatic fruit mess. I imagine this will last like...forever. (sigh)
    The perfumes you hate the most, last the longest don't they?

I also can't get on the appreciation train for this house. It really was mediocre to me. And then you look at the price and performance, and it makes me laugh.

Basenotes Plus

I'd buy Entre Naranjos if the bottle was a bit bigger
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Sampling Pure Mariposa today and have a small decant of Impossible Iris, (both from a generous basenoter). I am enjoying the happy, bright atmosphere of Mariposa this morning, and loved Foustie's description of Impossible Iris, which is my favorite so far. I have a few more samples from this line on the way.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache