Code of Conduct

Default Does anybody wear Castoreum alone!

A sample of Profumo's "Castoreum" is on the way to me. I had already a sample a year or so ago and I had no problem wearing it alone! But I have no problems wearing almost everything! Muscs Koublai Khan for example is not very animalic to me. So, do you guys wear "Castoreum" alone and how high would you rate the "animal-factor"?

Default Re: Does anybody wear Castoreum alone!

There is probably something wrong with your nose. Please check if you´re fatigued. MKK is very animalic. |It is the very definition of animalic. It is super animalic. It stinks. I have it and my nose tells me this. It smells like a man´s unwashed private parts.

I would love to try that! I am slowly building a collection of naturals, essential oils and synthetics, as I have always been creative, musical and fond of chemistry. I have had a hard time finding easily available castoreum though. So far I have worn all of my ingredients on their own, to get to know how they smell, behave on skin and develop.
    Love the castoreum in Antaeus!
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Wow I never knew that liking MKK can cost you so dearly

Tried it and didn't care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    There is probably something wrong with your nose. Please check if you´re fatigued. MKK is very animalic. |It is the very definition of animalic. It is super animalic. It stinks. I have it and my nose tells me this. It smells like a man´s unwashed private parts.
    totally disagree. Like OP I don't find MKK to be "super animalic".

Kind of ridiculous to question how others perceive a fragrance Daniel.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/292...sc-Kublai-Kahn

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    There is probably something wrong with your nose. Please check if you´re fatigued.
    Really?

The thought of this makes me wanna hurl.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    Really?
    No, your nose is fine. This one's particularly fuzzy and tends to affect people differently -- for some, it reads as super-stank, but for others, it's got a real floral aspect to it. If you want really challenging musk, try and get your hands on this: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=31712

There are a couple of perfumes on the market that have this note and pretty much nothing else. It'll smell a bit flat like a mild shoe polish- slightly industrial. Pretty boring on its own.

I only wear pure castoreum on special occasions, such as when I curl a fetal position and wish for a quick death.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

No.
    Lovely stuff in composition, but horrendous neat.
    The only musk I'd consider wearing by itself would be the ambrette type.
    For the record, I too don't find MKK all that animalic.

you should try Yatagan - lots of castoreum in that one

Hi hoschhti. I've never smelled neat castoreum but it is my favourite animalic note by far. To me it's a warm, comforting, relaxing, leathery smell, like putting your head on a warm animals belly, a dog maybe, or even suggestive of natural smelling skin and hair, all with a slight plastic note. Ramon Monegal Ambre de Luna has a nice castoreum note.

PS: Not castoreum I don't think (?) but Aftelier Perfume, Sepia; with it's musk, cepes, oud, "indoles" and ambergris, smells exactly like a barn full of cows, complete with manure. Just saying.....

You must be mental in the face to even consider wearing this on its own!

Seriously, pure this smells horrible although it's debatable wether or not Civet smells even worse. Granted, I'm talking about the synthetic stuff but I don't imagine the naturals smelling any less repulsive.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 8th May 2013 at 04:22 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Castoreum on its own is not attractive in any way. Is beauty is in its combination with other (ususally sweeter) notes, to which it adds "depth", usually perceived as leatheriness. Castoreum is a major ingredient in the famous classic/powerhouse frags.

I have Profumo's Castoreum and find that its utility is in layering with sweet frags or those very short on longevity.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I had absolutely no problem wearing it alone! It's a nice leathery, even slightly smoky and "autumnal" scent. Maybe you are all wimps! But seriously, if you look at the reviews of Profumo's Castoreum-tincture you will notice that the reviewers really like it, and so do I. It actually reminds me a little bit of Oud!
    Last edited by hoschhti; 8th May 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Profumo's is actually a very nice version that is very pleasant, but in saying that, I have smelled stinkier ones that I would not wear.

At night I curl up with a family of beavers who worship me by rubbing their scent glands all over my beard...

I. AM. CANADIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Profumo's is actually a very nice version that is very pleasant, but in saying that, I have smelled stinkier ones that I would not wear.
    But do you really feel comfortable wearing it on its own? I have sometimes doubts in my nose, especially when it comes to animalic notes. What other people find "unwearable" is no problem for me, so I have sometimes the feeling that my nose is kind of anosmic to these notes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    No, your nose is fine. This one's particularly fuzzy and tends to affect people differently -- for some, it reads as super-stank, but for others, it's got a real floral aspect to it. If you want really challenging musk, try and get your hands on this: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=31712
    The reviews for this one sound very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation! Although I like Castoreum I am not interested in musk-perfumes so much, but this one caught my attention.

I had a small sample of Profumo's Castoreum and I wore it alone a few times, even to the shops. I doubt anyone could have smelled it on me anyway - I remember it being fairly dilute and not very diffusive. It was warm, sweet and leathery. I liked it a lot. Only very slightly repulsive, but that added to the charm. I was going to buy some but ended up making my own which turned out a little bit less pleasant.

I got a castoreum absolute elsewhere that is supposedly vintage Russian material and in comparison it is far more gamey, musky and, to me, truly animalic. I don't think I could wear that alone - it makes me feel a bit queasy.