Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Eau des Baux - A Review: Forget Spicebomb, this is the King of Vanilla Spice

So I swooped into my local L'Occitane a few weeks ago, sprayed some Eau des Baux, initially unimpressed but on drydown this thing was pure heaven. I got a solid 8-10 hours on it and was delighted by it. I bought a bottle and after some wear am ready to give some impressions.

Full disclosure, I'm a big Spicebomb fan, but like others, found the sweetness a bit cloying, not nauseatingly so, but enough to be too put-off to wear it daily. For those that, like me, did find Spicebomb too sweet, here is your solution. Eau des Baux has vanilla, but none of the bubblegum sugar that defines alot of Spicebomb's scent, but still retains the Tobacco Vanilla spice you love in Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. The scent is mesmerizingly good and you'll probably find yourself wondering "what smells so good" only to realize it's you more than a few times upon initial wearing.

It goes on with a lot of Vanilla and spice at the top, very peppery but smooth and dry. After about an hour or so dries down into a nice pine-vanilla-spice mix. The scent is enhanced by some well done vetyver and amber in the base that's just lovely. Do I get tobacco in this? Nope, but I can see how it might give some the impression of a tobacco scent, the Vetyver, amber and pine do give off a tobacco-leafy vibe. If you want an impression, take the pepper from Mark Jacob's Bang, add Spicebomb sans the sweetness but with the vanilla and amber and the leafy smell of Tobacco Vanille, that's what I get.

While sometimes portrayed as unisex, this is a far dryer and more masculine scent than either Spicebomb or Tobacco Vanille and doesn't become a sweet and sickly after prolonged wear. As I mentioned, Longevity is great, and I've gone as long as 10 hours with it lingering as a skin scent. The cost ($50-60 for 100mL) makes it an absolute steal. This doesn't smell at all synthetic and the scent itself is niche quality. It definitely deserves all the hype it gets and more. Sadly, it doesn't have the marketing budget of a Viktor & Rolf, but if you're scent savvy, and had to choose, you'd pick this up in a heartbeat and leave Spicebomb on the shelf. All said, I do like Spicebomb, but Eau des Baux bests it in almost every category, scent, longevity, versatility and silliage.

Try this one out if you're a fan of spice and vanilla scents. Definitely worth a blind buy if you're not in a city with an Occitane franchise and you like Spicebomb or Tobacco Vanille!

Default Re: Eau des Baux - A Review: Forget Spicebomb, this is the King of Vanilla Spice

Have and also love Eau des Baux and agree with your assessment.

Default Re: Eau des Baux - A Review: Forget Spicebomb, this is the King of Vanilla Spice

Have you tried Opium PH EdP? To me that is the king of spicy/vanilla frags. I haven't tried EdB but isn't there strong incense or wood in that one?

Um... yeah... Spicebomb isn't a vanilla frag and Eau des Baux doesn't have tobacco...... but carry on...

I like both and they have some characteristics they share although they are different in more ways than they are the same.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Yep, they smell alike and Eau Des Baux is the better fragrance. But like Pipsta said you need to check the notes.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Welcome to the club!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Junkie

Eau de Baux is on my list, spicebomb is not...I wanted to like spicebomb but alas, I didn't. I think you hit on why I don't like it so much. Thanks

This fragrance has been getting a lot of hype lately.....might be worth a blind buy as vanilla and tonka bean are my favorite notes in a fragrance.

Pipsta and silentrich, I do take your points, but one always needs to take the manufacturers' note breakdown with a grain of salt. In fact I've read a lot of high end frags exclude certain notes since they come off as cheap, like excluding lavender. Further on this point, take for example Cool Water and GIT, they smell quite similar despite different note listings. Ditto for Millesime Imperiale and Sean John's Unforgivable and Multi-Platinum. As for Spicebomb, my nose gives me a strong vanilla, could be a combination of chemicals, nonetheless, I always trust my nose which tells me there's a strong family resemblance between Spicebomb and Eau des Baux.

In terms of affordability as well, Eau des Baux wins! As much as they are both really nice fragrances to me, I would much rather pick EdB.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    Pipsta and silentrich, I do take your points, but one always needs to take the manufacturers' note breakdown with a grain of salt. In fact I've read a lot of high end frags exclude certain notes since they come off as cheap, like excluding lavender. Further on this point, take for example Cool Water and GIT, they smell quite similar despite different note listings. Ditto for Millesime Imperiale and Sean John's Unforgivable and Multi-Platinum. As for Spicebomb, my nose gives me a strong vanilla, could be a combination of chemicals, nonetheless, I always trust my nose which tells me there's a strong family resemblance between Spicebomb and Eau des Baux.
    I do get a slight vanilla/leather/and pepper accord in Spicebomb. Also, I tend to automatically associate sweetness with either vanilla, amber, or tonka bean which can sometimes be hard to distinguish between them. Eau des Baux though is all about the incense. I'm not a big fan at all of incense fragrances, but with Eau des Baux they made it almost smell like tobacco which is why people compare it so much as a viable alternative to Tobacco Vanille.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

I did a side by side with these two and while there are some similarities there are more differences between them. When I wear Eau des Baux I can clearly smell that it's a vanilla scent. I don't get that with Spicebomb at all, no vanilla in the least. Their similarities seem to be in the type of spices used in the top and after that I find few similarities.

EDB is more green in the top with the heart based around the vanilla and incense it comes off brighter and more coarse all the way through the life of the scent. While the Spicebomb is darker and with the tobacco and leather it's definitely more masculine. I think the elemi is what gives SB a smokiness that is much smoother than what the incense gives EDB.

I find that Spicebomb is more like Midnight in Paris than it is Eau des Baux.
    Last edited by Pipsta; 30th May 2012 at 05:58 AM.

I have been anxious for ages to buy L'Occitane scents and now I have a reason more.

Banned

You have me intrigued with your interesting and articulate review.
    I had thought Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain was the king of spicy vanilla.

Sounds good I have yet to check out this.

Not even comparable IMO

Edb>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>chuck Norris>>>>>>>>>>>>>>spicebomb
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

tested it also today on my skin and thought i will come across something new but unfortunately i am disappointed
    because its very very similar to YSL la nuit and rochas man or Givenchy Play Intense (this one i own) so there is no reason for me to buy it. Yes its a good one but nothing new to the world of fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by leecher88 View Post
    tested it also today on my skin and thought i will come across something new but unfortunately i am disappointed
    because its very very similar to YSL la nuit and rochas man or Givenchy Play Intense (this one i own) so there is no reason for me to buy it. Yes its a good one but nothing new to the world of fragrances
    I have not sampled the latter two, but la nuit???? Really???
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Agreed on all points.

Experienced base noters ought to know at least these 2 simple things:

1. The manufactures list of ingredients very often does not contain the entire list of notes in a fragrance.

2. Even though some notes are not actually present in a given fragrance, the combination of notes blended together can very often mix together in a way that creates an entirely new note in the fragrance - a note that will never be an actual part of the fragrance composition but still be a note that a lot of wearer of the fragrance will feel clearly is there.
    Example: I don't think Serge Lutens has added hard stomach smelling manure fecal notes to his Musc Kublai Khan, but to many that note is very present in that fragrance. Another example: I don't see, neither do I believe, coconut is an actual note in Dior Fahrenheit 32, but the combination of notes in it leads me to believe I get a coconut vibe from it. Third example: I don't believe almonds is part of the notes in the reformulated Dior Homme Intense, but I feel and smell a faint scent of almonds in this fragrance.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    I have not sampled the latter two, but la nuit???? Really???
    i swear still got it on my hand and its for sure at my body identical but i think at lot of other people it will be the same feeling
    try bulgari black or also zegna forte all fantastic fragrances which are very similar or even identical the best test is always that one when you spray one fragr on the left and the other one on the right one

greets

Hmmmmm I never smelled Eau des Baux

but the comparison to Nuit, Rochas Man and Play Intense seems far. Nuit smells nothin like Rochas Man, and Play Intense.

Play Intense and Rochas Man do share some similarities.

I also saw you compared it to Bvlgari Black.

Lol that's a variety of a lot of very different genre of fragrances that you're comparing to one fragrance.

Can't wait to smell it tho. Sounds very interesting.

believe me no matter what genres they are what counts is the fact that they smell exactly the same !!

try zegna forte and you will see its also the same one, just different brand and different notes but the result is the same

try them they are very very similar or even the same, try them two on left and two on right, try 4 of them and you will see minimum 3 of them will be for you the same

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    Hmmmmm I never smelled Eau des Baux

but the comparison to Nuit, Rochas Man and Play Intense seems far. Nuit smells nothin like Rochas Man, and Play Intense.

Play Intense and Rochas Man do share some similarities.

I also saw you compared it to Bvlgari Black.

Lol that's a variety of a lot of very different genre of fragrances that you're comparing to one fragrance.

Can't wait to smell it tho. Sounds very interesting.

i swear still got it on my hand and its for sure at my body identical but i think at lot of other people it will be the same feeling
    try bulgari black or also zegna forte all fantastic fragrances which are very similar or even identical the best test is always that one when you spray one fragr on the left and the other one on the right one

greets
    Feel like I'm being trolled, but I had planned on trying Bvlgari Black anyway so when I do I'll get back to ya :P

Eau de Baux is dense vanillic amber, Spicebomb is spicy vanillic tobacco. Opium is spicy citrus vanilla, La Nuit is sweet spicy vanilla, Bulgari Black is spicy leathery vanilla, Givenchy Play Intense is woody vanillic tonka. All have similarities, but none is really a replacement for the other. (Also, I'm officially tired of masculine vanillas.) That said, I prefer EdB over Spicebomb, but only just.

I have tried eau des baux, nice scent.

But I'd prefer Shalimar (PDT)... The Queen of Vanilla

believe me no matter what genres they are what counts is the fact that they smell exactly the same !!

try zegna forte and you will see its also the same one, just different brand and different notes but the result is the same

try them they are very very similar or even the same, try them two on left and two on right, try 4 of them and you will see minimum 3 of them will be for you the same
    This is in NO WAY meant to sound condescending, so please don't take it as so! Are you early into your scent journey? I remember when I had just got into fragrances, every fragrance that had even the slightest bit of spice - smelled similar to me. It took me a bit of time to really be able to distinguish notes. It could be a possibility that this is what's happening in your case? Either that, or you're high on street drugs.

(kidding) Welcome to Basenotes bro!

How does the EdB drydown compare to Jaipur Homme's?

dollars&scents: never tried tonka Imperiale, I'll definitely have to put it on the list as I'm a sucker for well executed gourmands, even the harsh anti-social ones like A*Men lol. I have sniffed Spiritueuse Double Vanille, and if it's anything like that then no, Eau des Baux has no booziness to it at all.

Bigsly: nothing like Jaipur homme, that stuff does have the vanilla note, but it's wrapped in what reminds me of an 80's patchoulli-bomb power frag.

The cypress in EDB gives it a green feel and the incense makes it dry. Between those two the composition seems bright and edgy making the vanilla come off more like the vanilla pod than it does vanilla cake.

Eau des Baux is an excellent fragrance and definitely something I reach for in the colder months.

These are two different animals.

I would recommend buying both the Spicebomb and the EdB.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    This is in NO WAY meant to sound condescending, so please don't take it as so! Are you early into your scent journey? I remember when I had just got into fragrances, every fragrance that had even the slightest bit of spice - smelled similar to me. It took me a bit of time to really be able to distinguish notes. It could be a possibility that this is what's happening in your case? Either that, or you're high on street drugs.

(kidding) Welcome to Basenotes bro!
    but you can only judge if you try them on same day at same time spraying otherwise its no comparison

try EDB,
    YSL la nuit,
    Zegna Forte,
    Givenchy Play Intense
    Bvlgari Black
    Rochas Man
    almost 3 of them will smell for you the same (yes with a little little little difference which is not important)

spray them on your hand not all on the same point of your hand
    1. I am not new to the world but this doesnt matter if you can compare some fragr.
    2. i am always on drugs aa sry i meant on fragrances :P

greets

I am a sucker for vanilla and tonka bean.

Guys how prominent is the vanilla and tonka bean in this fragrance???

Would you guys consider this a safe blind buy!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    These notes are quite proeminent. If you like something between M7 and Ambre Sultan, go for it, specially if it's cheap where you live.
    Cool and actually I have never smelled M7 nor Ambre Sultan.

If it has prominent vanilla and tonka tho I am sure I will like because I am a vanilla and tonka head.

Very nice write-up. My vanilla bomb of choice will always be SDV

I agree that Eau des Baux is a great scent, the only problem I have with it is that on my skin longevity is below average.

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    Eau de Baux is on my list, spicebomb is not...I wanted to like spicebomb but alas, I didn't. I think you hit on why I don't like it so much. Thanks
    My feelings exactly. I am quite impressed with the whole L'Occitane line, and Eau de Baux is no exception. Definitely the better of the two.

My favourite of the house is still Eau de L'Occitan, though...

Eau de Baux is a great fragrance. Enjoy!

Try this one out if you're a fan of spice and vanilla scents. Definitely worth a blind buy if you're not in a city with an Occitane franchise and you like Spicebomb or Tobacco Vanille!
    I have both Spicebomb and TV (enjoy both) and I've considered Eau des Baux before. But after reading this, pushed me to place an order. Another blind buy on the way...

but you can only judge if you try them on same day at same time spraying otherwise its no comparison

try EDB,
    YSL la nuit,
    Zegna Forte,
    Givenchy Play Intense
    Bvlgari Black
    Rochas Man
    almost 3 of them will smell for you the same (yes with a little little little difference which is not important)

spray them on your hand not all on the same point of your hand
    1. I am not new to the world but this doesnt matter if you can compare some fragr.
    2. i am always on drugs aa sry i meant on fragrances :P

greets
    I respect your opinion, but from my view of your testing, you simply have too many scents going on and bleeding into each other all at the same time. I can see applying one scent on one hand, and a different one on the other (kinda) but as these scents radiate, develope, and change, they are going to begin to mingle being so close together; and begin to make you think you are smelling the same thing in each fragrance especially if sniffing every few seconds or even minutes. If I were going to test numerious samples together, do strips to get a general idea. Then do a full wear on skin, on different days, to see how it really works with your chemistry.

Received my bottle today and I can definitely see the resemblance to Spicebomb and even TV, but as others have said, Eau des Baux is a little more 'muted' where TV and Spicebomb (in their own way) are more 'in your face'. Definitely pleased with this one!

try TL pour Lui is also not bad for his vanilla
    My astonishing Top 10 fragrances :

1. Hombre by Victorio & Lucchino
    2. Antidote Viktor&Rolf
    3. Pure Havane Thierry Mugler
    4. Ambre Baldessarini
    5. Pure Malt Thierry Mugler
    6. Ultrared Men Paco Rabanne
    7. Jacques Fath pour L`Homme
    8. Silver Scent Jacques Bogart
    9. Chastity Men Rasasi
    10. Blue Sugar Aquolina

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    How does the EdB drydown compare to Jaipur Homme's?
    If Jaipur is too sweet, too heavy, too powdery, too anything for you, like it was for me, then Eau des Baux will amaze you at how non-over-the-top it is. Sweet vanilla, but very natural with woods mixed in, so that it doesn't overwhelm you. In that respect, it's hands-down my favorite vanilla scent, even though (or perhaps because) vanilla usually isn't my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Received my bottle today and I can definitely see the resemblance to Spicebomb and even TV, but as others have said, Eau des Baux is a little more 'muted' where TV and Spicebomb (in their own way) are more 'in your face'. Definitely pleased with this one!
    Great! Enjoy!

Eau des Baux is a great fragrance. Does anyone notice a slight medicinal note at the initial spray?

i got to spray my self a lot with this to stay smelling nice.

I own this, Jaipur and Rochas Man.

Id say i prefer this to any of them. Infact all 3 i have to spray my self A LOT.

i got to spray my self a lot with this to stay smelling nice.

I own this, Jaipur and Rochas Man.

Id say i prefer this to any of them. Infact all 3 i have to spray my self A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    You have me intrigued with your interesting and articulate review.
    I had thought Tonka Imperiale by Guerlain was the king of spicy vanilla.
    The Guerlain crushes EdB any day of the week IMHO. No comparison.

Yes, but Eau des Baux is fraction of the price of the Tonka Imperiale

I just got my bottle of Eau des Baux today. Off the top, it's a heavy blast of wood (cedar?) and a ton of vanilla. I usually dislike vanilla heavy fragrances, however, with the heavy dose of wood on top. I really really enjoy this so far. Can't wait to see what the dry-down brings.

Will only get better with time as well.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I just got my bottle of Eau des Baux today. Off the top, it's a heavy blast of wood (cedar?) and a ton of vanilla. I usually dislike vanilla heavy fragrances, however, with the heavy dose of wood on top. I really really enjoy this so far. Can't wait to see what the dry-down brings.
    Great fragrance from beginning to end. Great value.

The best from the Eau des Baux line is the soap. You guys should try it. It's my favorite soap ever.

I bought the EDT expecting I would smell the same fragrance as in the soap. Helas, non. I gave it away to my dad. I keep on buying the soap. It also fills my bathroom with that sensuous smell.

I also bought the shower gel. It's ok.

...Bigsly: nothing like Jaipur homme, that stuff does have the vanilla note, but it's wrapped in what reminds me of an 80's patchoulli-bomb power frag.
    Jaipur a patchouli bomb? Are you sure you've smelled it?

Quote Originally Posted by teerose View Post
    I have tried eau des baux, nice scent.

But I'd prefer Shalimar (PDT)... The Queen of Vanilla
    This is more like it, Jaipur pH reminds me of Shalimar: powdery vanilla but with Jaipur you get the extra topping of cinnamon. While EdB is pretty good, I much prefer Jaipur.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Eau de Baux is dense vanillic amber
    That's pretty much all I need to know. And it appears to come in bath products. A must-try for me. This and Maharees are on my priority list now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    That's pretty much all I need to know. And it appears to come in bath products. A must-try for me. This and Maharees are on my priority list now.
    It's a great scent, but on me it's far less vanilla, and more incense / cedar. As far as I know, it has no amber in it whatsoever, but it does give off an ambery-vibe. Some people compare it to Tobacco Vanille, I don't get that at all from it -- there's no tobacco in it, for one thing, but also TV makes me gag, but this stuff's great.

If you've never tried it, it's just an easy to wear, really lovely blend of incense and cedar. Great stuff!

I don't love it, but I do like it quite a bit. I think the best comparison would be that, to my nose, it smells like "tobacco vanille lite," or maybe "diet tobacco vanille" if that makes any sense. And at the price, it's a very affordable buy.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

To me, EdB smells dark, dry and incense-dominated. It is completely devoid of any sweetness. I can smell no vanilla. I see very little resemblance to Spicebomb, and even less to Givenchy Play Intense and YSL La Nuit. It's like nothing else I own. I get great longevity and projection from it.

I like it, but not nearly as much as most others here. When I am wearing it, I crave for something sweeter.

Eau de Baux was my signature scent during last winter...!

I also bought the shower gel and the after-shave balm, both are wonderful!

By the way my bottle is empty and this gem deserves another purchase.

I see some similarities with Gucci pour Homme I (2003).

IMO this is is a must have for any collector.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbkr123 View Post
    To me, EdB smells dark, dry and incense-dominated. It is completely devoid of any sweetness. I can smell no vanilla. I see very little resemblance to Spicebomb, and even less to Givenchy Play Intense and YSL La Nuit. It's like nothing else I own. I get great longevity and projection from it.

I like it, but not nearly as much as most others here. When I am wearing it, I crave for something sweeter.
    I just tried it and I completely agree with you. Not sweet, and virtually no vanilla. I asked the SA, "Is there vanilla in this?" and she said no. Absolutely amazing how bad the advice here can be sometimes.