Code of Conduct

Default Cumming vs. 2nd Cumming

I was a bit confused as to whether these were the same fragrances. On the CB I Hate Perfume site it says, "2nd Cumming is exactly the same scent as the original Cumming the Fragrance but in my own unique format." On the other hand, one of the guys working in the Gallery said that 2nd Cumming was oomphed up from the original and emphasized some of the notes that ended up toned down in the initial Cumming.

Thanks to blacksun who sent me one of the best packages I have ever gotten in the mail (ever!), I am now wearing them on opposite arms. They are very nearly identical, but 2nd Cumming does strike me--even before it lands on the skin--as richer. The leather, whisky, and animalics do indeed seem to be amped up. In the original, however, I can perceive a number of lighter topnotes that I think are masked or absent in 2nd Cumming. They are subtle differences, but I do believe these are distinct fragrances.

Of the two, I think I prefer 2nd Cumming. This may actually be a rare case of a reformulation enhancing rather than impairing a scent.

In a larger sense, I smelled a lot of things in CB's Gallery that I really like. The more recent offerings definitely seem richer and more full-bodied than some of his earlier fragrances (which I actually adore as well). If anyone was put off by his earlier style, you might want to check out some of the new offerings. I think they're swell.

Default Re: Cumming vs. 2nd Cumming

That's interesting Brian and I'm genuinely curious about other member's opinion as well. Thanks to a kind Basenoter I recently received in the mail a full bottle of the original which I thoroughly enjoy. I've never smelled the CB version but, maybe, the tiny differences may be due to the fact that, if memroy serves me well, the 2nd Cumming is not an alcohol based EDT but a water based one...Just guessing...

I've always heard they're supposed to smell exactly the same...
    Last edited by alfarom; 18th March 2012 at 10:54 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

If any more experienced noses would like to help out with this, I'd be happy to send samples.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    That's interesting Brian and I'm genuinely curious about other member's opinion as well. Thanks to a kind Basenoter I recently received in the mail a full bottle of the original which I thoroughly enjoy. I've never smelled the CB version but, maybe, the tiny differences may be due to the fact that, if memroy serves me well, the 2nd Cumming is not an alcohol based EDT but a water based one...Just guessing...

I've always heard they're supposed to smell exactly the same...
    I expected the water perfume to be weaker, but I think that wasn't the case. I got about 6 hours from 2nd Cumming and 5 hours from Cumming. I don't know how fair the comparison is though because the CB bottle has a terrific sprayer and the other is coming from a decant.

I did find the drydowns to diverge as well. More lighter, subtle notes in the original (is there a floral in there?) whereas 2nd Cumming remained a fairly gripping leather scent.

Both of them are really nice. 2nd Cumming remains me of some of the "extreme" versions of fragrance (e.g. Instant de Guerlain vs. Instant de Guerlain Extrème).

Alfarom, do you want me to send you a vial? If it gets lost in customs, it gets lost in customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Alfarom, do you want me to send you a vial? If it gets lost in customs, it gets lost in customs.
    Brian, that's really nice of you but if it would get lost in customs I'd be incredibly mortified. I'd LOVE to be more active with you guys located in the US but these continuous customs issues with parcels coming from outside the EC are extremely frustrating...Again, thanks but I don't want you to waste your time...

On your original question: Mikeperez, if I'm not wrong, is quite familiar with both the Cumming and the 2nd Cumming. It would be nice to hear his thoughts...
    Last edited by alfarom; 20th March 2012 at 02:06 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Did someone say Cumming ? (cough, cough).

I only smelled 2nd Cumming once and at the time I was saturated with other CBIHP accords, so I basically had mad nose fatigue. I need to smell it again. Cumming, I am super familiar with, I wear it all the time (I just wore it Saturday night, in fact) but as alfarom mentioned it wouldn't surprised if it smelled 'different' because 1) 2C is a water/oil formula vs an alcohol-based formula, 2) the juice is newer & 3) the CBIHP SA said it was.

I find the EdT just strong enough, but I must admit I douse myself with it (+9 sprays). I never got a 'floral' note from it, but I do own Cumming Body Scrub and Shower Gel and even those 2 smell like scent, they too smell a tiny bit different. Which, in my experience, is totally normal when it comes to EdT vs ancillary products vs new formulations.

By the way Brian, was Christopher in the shop when you were there (along with that gargantuan dog?). Did you smell his 'new' vanilla scent (can't remember the name?)
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Yes, CB was there. Didn't notice the gargantuan dog. 7 Million Hearts is probably the best vanilla scent I have ever smelled. Not a huge vanilla fan, but it was nice for what it was.

Yes, CB was there. Didn't notice the gargantuan dog. 7 Million Hearts is probably the best vanilla scent I have ever smelled. Not a huge vanilla fan, but it was nice for what it was.
    I thought I liked it a lot until I realized that it wasn't Ambrosius, haha! It was still good, nonetheless.

Dependent

I was just reading about 2nd Cumming today by chance, and I was wondering what the deal with the difference was too. There was a quote from CB saying (paraphrased) that he replaced some synthetics with high quality naturals while attempting to keep the scent the same, which ended up in slower evolution / better longevity.

at this point I'm honestly confused...here's what I read on the CBIHP website:

"2nd Cumming is exactly the same scent as the original Cumming the Fragrance but in my own unique format."

If the second cumming is as good as the original. Well that'll be swell.

for swap/sale:

Hedonist, you NEED it!

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Hedonist, you NEED it!
    Hehehe yeah you've piqued my interest and engaged my salivary glands a few days ago.

But what's the difference between perfume absolute and perfume water?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Hehehe yeah you've piqued my interest and engaged my salivary glands a few days ago.

But what's the difference between perfume absolute and perfume water?
    Ok I found this:

CB I Hate Perfume is available in two formulations: Absolute and Water Perfume.

Water Perfume? Christopher Brosius says it best in his own words:
    I have never been happy with specially denatured alcohol as a base for fragrance; it evaporates quickly, dries the skin & hair and is highly flammable. Oil & water are what the skin naturally needs to hold fragrance the longest – I use those as the bases for all my perfumes instead. From an esthetic view, alcohol always interferes with the true nature of the scent and you need to wait for it to “burn off” before you can truly appreciate perfume. Without alcohol, my scents are presented immediately exactly as I designed them.
    Now the real question is, is it efficient or BS?

for swap/sale:

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Now the real question is, is it efficient or BS?
    I find it a little annoying because water takes so much longer to evaporate, while I do appreciate not having to smell the alcohol. It doesn't diffuse as well and must be shaken before being sprayed.

They also get frothy when you decant them. Not necessarily a good quality in a fragrance called Cumming.

Having said that, CB is right about the smell of alcohol. It's really nice to get the full experience of the fragrance as soon as it hits your skin. In fact, you get quite a lot of it even before it hits the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I find it a little annoying because water takes so much longer to evaporate, while I do appreciate not having to smell the alcohol. It doesn't diffuse as well and must be shaken before being sprayed.
    His water perfumes in the gallery didn't need to be shaken up and were really quite effective. There is an emulsifier added to the water; it's not just fragrance compounds and water. It is possible that the employees shake them while no one is around, I guess! Evaporation time was a little longer than usual, but just about a minute longer. I'm not sure of the concentration, but they are pretty potent!

I really like what CB is doing.

They also get frothy when you decant them. Not necessarily a good quality in a fragrance called Cumming.
    This made me laugh really hard! It's the emulsifiers. That's what the so-called molecular gastronomes make all of their foams with.

I honestly wish CB would just do EdP (in alcohol) of his fragrances. His line would then shoot to the top as far as I'm concerned. I've always found both his oils and water perfumes to be fairly weak, and this is coming from someone who wears fragrances quite lightly to begin with. I appreciate the aesthetic and understand the "hates perfume" premise (and in many cases agree), but fragrances that smell as good as his should be broadcast more strongly and while he has pioneered the most effective water perfume method I've come across it's simply unfulfilling in the end.

This is the primary reason the original Cumming is such a classic fragrance to me; aside from being my favorite CB, it's also the only one I can get in an alcohol dilution.

That said, I am a bit curious to try the perfume oil version of Cumming but unfortunately CB has one of the most overpriced sampling price structures of any perfume house I've come across.

And since we're on the topic of Cumming, has anyone sampled his gallery-exclusive fragrance called "Faggot"? Apparently it shares many aspects of Cumming and I presume Faggot was used as the base? (I'm honestly not trying to sound funny or perverse!)

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    I honestly wish CB would just do EdP (in alcohol) of his fragrances. His line would then shoot to the top as far as I'm concerned. I've always found both his oils and water perfumes to be fairly weak, and this is coming from someone who wears fragrances quite lightly to begin with. I appreciate the aesthetic and understand the "hates perfume" premise (and in many cases agree), but fragrances that smell as good as his should be broadcast more strongly and while he has pioneered the most effective water perfume method I've come across it's simply unfulfilling in the end.

This is the primary reason the original Cumming is such a classic fragrance to me; aside from being my favorite CB, it's also the only one I can get in an alcohol dilution.

That said, I am a bit curious to try the perfume oil version of Cumming but unfortunately CB has one of the most overpriced sampling price structures of any perfume house I've come across.

And since we're on the topic of Cumming, has anyone sampled his gallery-exclusive fragrance called "Faggot"? Apparently it shares many aspects of Cumming and I presume Faggot was used as the base? (I'm honestly not trying to sound funny or perverse!)
    Honestly, in a side by side comparison, I got more projection and longevity from 2nd Cumming than Cumming. There could be other factors at play, but you might be surprised by some of the newer formulations. Broadcasting strongly does not seem to been an issue either with 7 Million Hearts. I also tried Winter 1972, and that did seem weak; but perhaps it was more the combination of his early, lighter style AND the water base? Totally guessing here.

I did also take a whiff of Faggot from the bottle of absolute but did not get anything particularly faggoty from it. Will try it on my arm next time.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post

I, too, wish his scents were in alcohol. The oil I do not like to apply (because it makes me...oily) and the water does not 'stick' enough or it sticks too much (Burning Leaves in water just will NOT go away!!)

Faggot is very woody and smoky - nice but IMO not as interesting or complex as the smell of Cumming. I would be surprised if in fact it was one of the constituents of Cumming. The word 'faggot' is being used by CBIHP, of course, as the proper definition of the word (Wikipedia link here), not the slang. Nonetheless you have to hand it to Mr. Brosius, he's being sort of John Waters-esque in his use of it for equal parts sly humor and shock value.

Brian - you could not have missed the gargantuan dog if he was in the shop - he just plops himself down right in the very middle of the shop and everyone has to sort of hop, stand, step around him. Again, a very 'Brosius' detail.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I agree with the comment that if they were in alcohol maybe he'd get much more praise and there wouldn't be such repetetive comments saying "Lovely, but not strong enough"
    It is also annoying being drenched in water which then has to drip dry.
    I see the positives and negatives I guess...
    As for Cumming, I need to try this one!

I adore many of his frags even as a female. I've never worn enough quantity to be worried about the water. I think it keeps the fragrance 'cleaner'. My fave is I'm a dandelion though. @forfreddie. I'm not far from you. I can send you a snifter. I think mine is the first version.

Mike, I agree about the oils. One thing I noticed is a couple years ago I ordered a dozen or so gallery-exclusive scents via telephone (luckily they processed the order) and all was great, but with time each oil began to take on a slightly odd odor. It wasn't anything terrible but it was definitely discernible. Curious, I Googled and discovered he uses (or used, at least) isopropyl myristate as his carrier. I happened to have some here so I smelled it and voila, that's the source. I don't know why he is using (or was using) a carrier that ages so poorly and takes on that odd smell. It definitely dissuaded me from buying more of his oils since the shelf life seemed fairly short before the isopropyl myristate odor came into play. That left me with water perfume as my only option. Perhaps I'll fire off a quick email to CB himself and see if he'd be willing to custom make a few scents in alcohol - I'm sure he'll decline but it can't hurt. Maybe if he had enough requests he'd entertain the idea of alcohol versions of his top sellers (much the way he made double strength oils of his top selling accords).

Thanks for the nice words, Brian. I'm very happy that you're very happy with the juice(s). I'm anxious to try 2nd Cumming now that you say it's more intense than the original. I've been on a leather quest lately and the original Cumming is already excellent. Definitely one of the more unique fragrances around. No surprise that it's from CB.

After giving 2nd Cumming several wearings now, I'm happy to report that I have no issues with the water-based scent. I give it about a minute longer to dry before I put on my shirt, but that's it. It does not need to be shaken.

What would you find more recomendable... L'Anarchiste o Cumming? I am looking for something quite versatile and that I can use either day or night. Winter or summer. Witch one is stronger? Are they some metallic element in both? Thanks.

I really want to try these! As a fan of Alan Cumming, I think I owe it to myself!

I just snapped up a BNIB bottle of Cumming from a fellow member here....can't wait to see how it turns out on me.

I'm sure it won't end up being my worst blind buy. I'll be sure to pass on my thoughts when I receive it.