Code of Conduct

Default Bond no. 9 Wall Street vs Grey Vetiver

It never really dawned upon me until just earlier today. I had received a new decant of Grey Vetiver. Then I said to myself.. 'wow.. this doesn't the smell the same as I remembered' I recalled more of a citrus vetiver, similar to PS Story. This time around, I'm getting more of a light/bright green opening, sort of like seaweed, cucumber and melon like in Wall Street. The vetiver in GV is there in the opening though, and it's very sweet which is why I think even the non vetiver fans, love this, because it's so modern. I then get the vetiver again in the dry down, but much more smokey this time, more of what distinguishes vetiver from every other note.

My overall impression though.. Grey Vetiver = Wall Street, with vetiver, and less of a Mediterranean vibe. Does anybody else feel the same?
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 19th January 2011 at 01:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bond no. 9 Wall Street vs Grey Vetiver

Hmmm.....

Grey Vetiver, to me, is a lot like Guerlain Vetiver. Wall Street, on the other hand, is more similar to Millesime Imperial by Creed, albeit more emphases on cucumber/salty notes, which in turn is why I prefer Milllesime Imperial.

Never heard that comparison though, I'll have to try them both again sometime.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

No, not at all.

I don't get that either. I get no seaweed, cucumber and definitely no melon in GrV. That said, GrV is one of the most wearable, yet substantial vetivers out there.
    Last edited by neal; 19th January 2011 at 06:43 PM.

I don't see the connection either.....I will probably be one of the few that likes Wall Street better.....Wall Street fits my life better than GV if that makes any sense!!!
    Gary

I don't see the connection. I only wore GV once, and enjoyed it as a vetiver dominant scent. For me, Wall Street smells a good deal like celery.

Nothing alike IMO, and I've worn both a fair bit.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Nowhere near the same to me.

In fact, thanks for giving me my next scent I'll wear... Grey Vetiver.

Wow, have you guys sampled these side by side? Or are you just going by what you remember? I've been wearing them side by side all day and the top notes are very much alike.

I just did a side by side... I get citrus + vetiver for Grey Vetiver, the dry down is still vetiver heavy, whereas I get a cooler, seaweed and salty (melon-y at first) blast with a different dry down, some ambergris and something else.

I love both - to the point I've replaced my Wall Street bottle at least once already. But I don't get anything similar besides a bit of a salty citrus versus a salty seaweed vibe for Grey Vetiver and Wall Street respectively - salt is the only common denominator to me.

Blog Entries

TC - I don't get this, but I can see how your nose can pick it up. Check this out. Normally I don't smell anything like Wall Street except for MI and a few aquatics. But when I got a bad cold, during the recovery, my Tokyo by Kenzo (normally real woody) smelled like Wall Street. It doesn't any more, after my nose fully recovered. However, Tokyo by Kenzo actually smells different than it did before the cold (the guaiac wood is WAY stronger now).

So - bottom line - I believe you. I think you're very sensitive to the aromachemical used for the melon note, which is likely in the same family as calone.

I get mostly citrus and vetiver from GV. But I'll keep a nostril out for the melon note now. I'll bet it's there, but hidden to most noses.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    TC - I don't get this, but I can see how your nose can pick it up. Check this out. Normally I don't smell anything like Wall Street except for MI and a few aquatics. But when I got a bad cold, during the recovery, my Tokyo by Kenzo (normally real woody) smelled like Wall Street. It doesn't any more, after my nose fully recovered. However, Tokyo by Kenzo actually smells different than it did before the cold (the guaiac wood is WAY stronger now).

So - bottom line - I believe you. I think you're very sensitive to the aromachemical used for the melon note, which is likely in the same family as calone.

I get mostly citrus and vetiver from GV. But I'll keep a nostril out for the melon note now. I'll bet it's there, but hidden to most noses.
    True. I dunno what it is.. the vetiver in GV is so.. light green to me, the same thing I get in opening of Wall Street. I take back such strong emphasis on it, they're not at all alike, but they do share some similarities to my nose. I can't seem to figure it out just yet. It may also be the vetiver note in WS that has the same bright and aquatic feel to that of which in GV. Typically when I think vetiver, I think oily, very aromatic, and lemony.. I don't get that from either of these. The vetiver in GV is definitely there though, but to me, something in WS mocks GV.

Similar to what you said - maybe my nose is just too fatigued today, I have had 5+ scents under my nose. GV was coming off very inky to me earlier too. Ahh I hate when this happens.. lol

I agree wholeheartedly. Wall street was more of Cucumber salad on steroids plus extra salt and sourness. Grey Vetiver is more green and fresh then turns soapy sweet if that makes sense . LOL