Code of Conduct

Default Ted Lapidus pour Homme (1978)

Hello Basenoters,

I've been looking for this discontinued fragrance for a long time and finally came across a 50ml bottle which I've purchased. It should arrive in a week or two and I'm looking forward to it.

There's not a great deal of information on this scent and I was wondering if any of our community have the notes for this?

Can people who've used this fragrance share their thoughts on it? I believe from the four reviews here it's a strong leather. I'd like to know what other notes mix in with this. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

K.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Ted Lapidus pour Homme (1978)

Don't know the notes but I have this as well as the later release in the grey bottle and they are both very different to my nose, obviously some notes are different even with my nose. Both are nice however IMO. Hope you like it.

I own a bottle of this. It is one of the more difficult older men's frags to find these days.

My bottle is at my house in the U.S., so I don't have easy access to it and haven't used for a long time. I'll be visiting the States this summer and will have to give it a few sprays.

I can't find notes for this anywhere on the web. Your best guide is the few reviews in the Basenotes database. I'm going on memory, guided by these reviews, and I would say that the comparisons with Leonard Pour Homme are appropriate. If you are familiar with that, it will give you an idea of what the Lapidus is like.

It is quite different than the Lapidus in the light grey bottle, which is fuller, sweeter, and much more Oriental.

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    It's quite wood, dry and strong. Nice and cheap fragrance.
    I think you might be talking about Lapidus pour homme from 1987?

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    I'm talking about the one with the grey bottle. If I'm mistaken, sorry.

No worries. It gets very confusing when the fragrances have such similar names. I think you're referring to the 1987 Lapidus ph. Ted Lapidus ph is from 1978 and a leather fragrance.

I've found the notes for this fragrance-

Fragrance Notes

Top Notes:

Bergamot, Lemon, Coriander, Thyme, Aldehyd

Heart Notes:

Leather, Jasmin, Patchouli, Vetiver, Spruce

Base Notes:

Frankincense, Moss, Castoreum, Labdanum, Musk

Awesome, thanks for getting that list of notes, and let us know once you get a chance to try it out. I'm trying to track down a bottle myself, I'm fairly certain my father used to wear this.

Will do. It should be turning up any day now!

Our friend AromiErotici has just reviewed this rarity on his blogspot:

http://aromierotici.blogspot.co.uk/2...omme-1978.html

Sounds like you're in for a real treat...!

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Our friend AromiErotici has just reviewed this rarity on his blogspot:

http://aromierotici.blogspot.co.uk/2...omme-1978.html

Sounds like you're in for a real treat...!
    Thank you Derbyman for sharing this!

Great review by Aromi! This has got my mouth watering now. Can't wait to try this legend!

There was a knock at the door at 3pm and there was the postie holding a box containing Ted Lapidus within....

I'm not a fan of smokey fragrances but what intrigued me about this fragrance was the notes- especially the base- Castoreum absolute, leather, oakmoss, patchouli. There are some big guns in here but they are superbly mixed and blended giving, I believe, a unique and masculine scent.

Aromi's review which was sent in by Derbyman is spot on. The castoreum base is so beautifully done and the leather and patchouli gives this a 'burning birch' feel. One female reviewer on Basenotes said it was 'smouldering', if I remember correctly, and that word sums this scent up beautifully.

This is what I wanted Antaeus to be. While it has this great masculine quality, because it's blended so well, it retains a certain refinement. It doesn't have the jagged edges one would expect from a powerhouse with these notes.

I will send more info once I get to the drydown. This is already a HUGE thumbs up from me. I'm just hoping I can pull off this impressive beast.....

Just about 4 hours in and it's still going strong. That 'smouldering' is wonderful on the skin and this is just an amazing winter fragrance. The castoreum and leather are still warming against the patchouli and what seems like sage. I don't get the musk like Aromi stated but I'll need more time with it.

There was a little card inside the box showing other Ted Lapidus products from the range and on the back was an international time card showing the times of major capitals at 12 Greenwich mean time. Brilliant!

Man, it's too bad this is so hard to find. It sounds right up my alley. I think I'll jump in my time machine and go back to the '70's as soon as I finish getting my list together: Oleg Cassini for Men, Jovan Grass Oil for Men, and now this one.