Code of Conduct

Default Smokers: do you find that Equipage works especialy well for you?

I have been really enjoying exploring Equipage lately, and increasingly hold it in high regard. Most people seem to prefer the top notes, but I can't get enough of the 'cold pipe' effect toward the base - in a way, its successful abstraction of this is so avant garde that it could have been a Comme des Garcons composition. Some of its brilliance is that it recalls a burnt-smoky tobacco-residuum without, on closer examination, unmistakably having smoke, tar or tobacco in it at all. Like a woman made from flowers, or a piece of meat made from leaves. Brilliant on Guy Roberts' part, whose work I otherwise don't know.

Anyway, I don't smoke, and I am curious whether Equipage's cold pipe effect works even better on smokers, about whom a linger of real burned tobacco lingers. Is this one of those perfumes - like Caron's Tabac Blond - that presuppose that they will be worn by a smoker, and especially complement those who do cultivate that habit? I'm just curious about smokers' experiences with it - not in any way looking for confirmation that a non-smoker can wear it.

Default Re: Smokers: do you find that Equipage works especialy well for you?

Beats me. I just know I've never been fond of the top notes at all, but like what it becomes.
    Regards,
    Renato

Equipage is nice under any environment or conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Equipage is nice under any environment or conditions.
    Yes, I had to approach some strangers in a forest earlier - they were camping, and around a fire - and found it blended unexpectedly well with the smoke. Which is partly why I wondered.

I dare say it is logical that there would be few smokers on a forum of this sort (though I do know there are a few)!
    Last edited by Merely; 31st May 2012 at 11:47 AM.

I was wondering having never tried this one if it has dense loud over the top notes like some of the old school seventies and eighties frags?
    Currently wearing: Black Tea by Murdock

The top notes aren't loud exactly. It is a beautiful rosewood opening, with aldehydes, something a little anisic (carnation peeping out from the floral heart) and an impression of tea. Patchouli appears to gives it some thickness, but it can't yet be smelled in its own right; and jasmine sweetens it very slightly, blending with the aldehydes superbly. The touch of coumarin in the base (seemingly responsible for some of the later smokiness) is invisible. Heady, but also translucent. Some people seem to find the top addictive, and keep respraying it for its opening. Though I enjoy the topnotes, I prefer the heart and base about equally. The heart is a little 'prettier' (carnation and jasmine) than the base, which is pure cold pipe. But the base is great, and lasts forever.

It sounds good and I like jasmine in a scent as long as it does not get too feminine.
    Currently wearing: Black Tea by Murdock

No, it's definitely a masculine. There are few equivocally masculine-leaning fragrances that I enjoy, but this is one of them. Always rather odd to wear something that doesn't aim at beauty, but at an effect or impression, like so many Comme des Garcons do. It is just that this effect is rather addictive. I never seem to get tired of the base, despite it having enormous longevity.