Code of Conduct

Default Just step away from the counter...

I have plenty of fragrances but I keep sniffing and wanting more, and yes, buying more.

I realize that I have enough fragrance to last many years, decades even. And my collection is small compared to long time collectors and many basenotes members.

It must be a sickness but I keep smelling, testing and adding to my "want list" and every season brings a desire for something new.

Wondering how many years...decades...centuries worth of fragrances you all have. I know I am not the only one!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Default Re: Just step away from the counter...

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    It must be a sickness but I keep smelling, testing and adding to my "want list" and every season brings a desire for something new.

Wondering how many years...decades...centuries worth of fragrances you all have. I know I am not the only one!
    But what a wonderful sickness that I want no remedy for! Nearly four decades I've been ill.

There sure are plenty of delicious, tempting scents out there. Mine should last quite a while.

Sound Scents

I'm with hednic; my collection will surely well outlive me, but if it is a sickness I don't want a cure as I enjoy it too much.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Me too. I have enough to outlast me and I frequently think I'm done for a while- I'm going to enjoy what I have. And then before I know it, I'm back at Selfridge's and Les Senteurs trying something new and adding to my list. Why, just this afternoon, in fact.

I suppose there are worse habits.

Ive thinned out my collection big time and been absent on this site for this reason. My $ has been spent wisely lately. There are just waaaaaaay to many frags out there to be content with a collection if you have the hoarding disease. Addicts, odds are not on your side

I need more

Very harmless hobby as long as you can afford it. I just try to keep my collection at a level of about 30-40 bottles. Anymore and it makes me anxious that I don't use each of them more. I'm really more of a user than a collector. I like a good variety, though. It does not phase me to see a bottle near completion, though it hardly ever happens! I own just two back-ups: Kouros and Aventus. I will NEVER be able to use up my collection, and the 1 OZ Aventus is probably the only bottle I will finish in the NEXT 5 YEARS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I'm with hednic; my collection will surely well outlive me, but if it is a sickness I don't want a cure as I enjoy it too much.

I was a signature scent guy for my entire life until I found basenotes. Now I buy in bulk fearing reformulations and products being discontinued. Having an addictive personality doesn't help either.

However the good thing about being a hoarder is you never run out

Banned

[IMG]http://***********************/instances/400x/19817530.jpg[/IMG]

I bought way too fast when I first started out, and will now be getting rid of alot of my stash. And even then, it will outlive me. Unfortunately, I realize that as soon as I get my collection down where I want it, I'll add to it again. Oh well, life is too short to worry about such small issues

Yes, this is pretty much the home for fragrance addicts. I am now planning purchases more carefully though.

I think only a few quality as far as a being qualified to be on the tv show Hoarders. Some collect, some like many recents and sample to expand their horizon and etc
    I don't plan on having more than say 40 and if I did I'd consolidate.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I always wondered, how many perfumes would satisfy me at a given period. As of mid 2012 I have around 140 full bottles and can see myself adding another 60 then that's it. Other than future perfumes, I won the game. I'll have all I liked.

for swap/sale:

I am hovering around 150-160 listed fragrances. However, it does not mean I have 150-160 bottles. I have some fragrances in different concentrations (i.e. Chanel N5 in as many concentrations I as I can get... and will add more), some are still unopened (unwanted gifts, or bough as a gift for someone special and waiting for the right occasion - around 10 in total).

I try to wear them all. Obviously, have my absolute favourites and those that won't be repeated when the juice in the bottle runs out (will it ever happen???), and those that represent love/hate relationship , but more love (Borneo, Tea for Two). I know, I have more than one can wear in a lifetime.

Oh, and I have 77 fragrances on my "I want" list

I think I have enough to last for another 15-20 years but as I keep buying, this will surely increase. I tend to go through stages of buying a lot at once (this month alone has seen purchases of Lyric Man, APOM PH, MFK Oud, Ambrarem, Absinthe, Black Afgano, Pardon and Escada Magnetism) and then losing interest for a few months. My entire wardrobe has been amassed in the past year, but rather than one by one, I'll buy 10 or 11 fragrances at a time. I use all of them at some point but like the thought that I will probably never run out of any one bottle in my lifetime.

Basenotes Plus

This. And everyone needs a hobby, I say
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I was a signature scent guy for my entire life until I found basenotes. Now I buy in bulk fearing reformulations and products being discontinued. Having an addictive personality doesn't help either.

However the good thing about being a hoarder is you never run out
    I am exactly like that! I used to use one scent or probably only had three at one time. The moment I started out here on BN, I no longer believe in a signature scent. Now I believe in a signature rotation! But I love doing it
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I have a simple way of controlling the hoarding impulse: At any given time, I allow myself to only have as many fragrances as can fit in my medicine cabinet. The medicine cabinet is a pretty standard size, and I only use one such cabinet.

Basenotes Institution

I should remember to 'just step away from the counter' as well........
    Sometimes, if you live in a Cow Town like me...going to a big city on vacation.... with lots of wonderful perfumes before your eyes - well...you can go a bit crazy and end up with more than you bargained for !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I also was a one or two bottle guy for many years. I decided to find more than that and it led me to eventually finding basenotes after a couple of years of just store searching. Basenotes took me out of sephoras and ultas and into smaller indy shops as well as more pricier places like Barney's and Neiman to sniff out niche.

I thought a dozen bottles would be unheard of for me. Although I can now see a use for 20-30 different scents for all the different situations and occasions that come up in life. It makes sense to me now, I like variety and even though someone will like a certain shirt or pair of jeans that doesn't mean they wear it every day. So why does that have to apply to a scent, too?

When I find a scent that is better than a comparable one I already have I make a decision. If I don't reach for the old one anymore I effectively have decided the new one is the one I want. So I get rid of the old one instead of keep it around. I may keep similar scents that I use for similar occasions for variety.

I even try to lean towards more versatile frags to keep my wardrobe more flexible. I do have some harder to find frags or ones that aren't all that versatile because I really like them and do find times to wear it. I'm a wearer, not a collector but I enjoy having different scents around as well as exploring new ones. I believe it helps stimulate my mind, emotion and spirit.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Im starting to feel ridiculous with so many bottles and samples and decants that i will hardly ever wear. Im trying to get rid of a large part of what i have. I want to "experience" so many fragrances but i realize how wasteful and unnecessary they all are. I dont want to have to carry 10 boxes of fragrances with me if i move. I have been feeling this way for a couple of weeks and maybe its just a phase because nothing has wowed me lately. I could change my mind completely next week though.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Seems to me that 50 decants in a shoebox look less shopaholicky than 50 bottles stashed hither and yon.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I probably have fifteen to twenty years worth of fragrances, and I have to confess it bothers me slightly, since most of my bottles were purchased in the last two years and consequently are almost all full. I feel a bit overwhelmed when I pull a bottle out and it looks utterly unused; I feel I'm making wasteful purchases sometimes.

In the last six months I have tried to cut down on my purchases, especially full bottles. I have found that when I resist a bottle for a week or two the desire to own it dissipates, and I realize it is usually an item I only sort of want, but don't really need for my collection. I'm hoping to only buy one more bottle this year, along with a handful of decants.

I think I probably have about ten years worth... I use it a lot more liberally now that I have so much. I used to only use a couple of spritzes a day, if I was going at that rate, the 40odd bottles I have now would probably last me 50 years. I also plan to buy some little atomiser bottles so I can start giving it friends etc. and sharing it around a bit more. I am more of a user than a hoarder and I don't allow myself to worry about reformulations and other background stressors that detract from the enjoyment of the hobby

my collection will surely well outlive me, but if it is a sickness I don't want a cure as I enjoy it too much.

^^^this

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I have come to the conclusion I suffer from Fragrance OCD. Yes indeed. I sometimes think, hell if one of those hoarder style shows came knocking would they have me taken quietly away??? Weeping and sobbing as they removed 99.9% of my collection.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Fragrance. Invest now. More "liquid" than gold!

I always vowed to stop at around 30 bottles, I was dreaming. When I feel i have crossed the line between collecting and hoarding or when I start looking at buying furniture as I've run out out storage space I promise to stop

Blog Entries

The perfume counter has a magic appeal. Just talking about perfumes with discussion groups has big entertainment value. Reading blogs (Blog Roll) provides continuous education.

WHY ?? I don't know ... It fulfills an aesthetic need. Provides enrichment. NOW, as for "enrichment" - there is the irony that this can drive you down to the poorhouse.

Why should I let this passion control me ? It is time, I take control. First, I have put away, out of sight, more than half of my wardrobe, stored in a trunk, cool and dark. Now what is in the dresser is being used and rotated, depending on the occasions.

What to do with mistakes, errors, bottles that were bought too quickly ??

Has anyone ever done that radical thing to simply toss them out ? Without the bother of advertising/swapping, gifting with guessing whether they are welcome ?

Here is a LEAN AND MEAN method to simply put behind the errors of the past - I donate the bottles/minis/samples ... whichever ... to the shelves of the nearest Public Library. IT WORKS. The items do not remain there very long, a lucky patron takes them home and hopefully has some good use of them.

LEAN AND MEAN - my problem is over and I don't have to fret over a mistake.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

You are definitely not alone in this. Happens too me on a regular, almost daily basis. Though I am profoundly emotionally, mentally and intellectually attached to most fragrances I own (i.e. almost each one is special, linked to a personal story and/or ideal and/or aspiration of mine, so far more than a simple "impulse shopping", far more than "instant gratification"), I can still not remain indifferent to the beauty, complexity and elegance of so many of the fragrance tested. So I start compiling wish lists, task lists in terms of purchasing and testing and almost invariably end up purchasing 2-3 times more than the amount of fragrances I originally intended to own. Do I regret it? Hello no.
    At most start questioning myself, but with a mostly positive, comforting and empowering outcome, since the more I delve into the fragrances owned, even the ones "not initially on the lists", the harder I find to discover them as flawed and as unnecessary and the more likely I am inclined to enjoy them even more.

Blog Entries

You Perfumistas/Perfumistos on this website are of a special kind. How far will you travel to get that feeling of satiation ??

Personally, lack of funds stop me - sometimes short and abrupt - to go that lane of spending and discovery.

So, my question is - to you, the ones with UNLIMITED funds for perfume expenditure - does there come a moment when you reach a plateau, and any other new scent is just a repetition and not worth accumulating ?

Or, does the quest for beauty or diversity have no limits ... and goes on forever ?
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)