Code of Conduct

Default Can the way fragrance interacts with your skin change day to day?

Hi all I'm fairly new to fragrance, and I'm not entirely clear on how the interactions between skin and fragrance work. I'm wearing Chanel No. 5 today, a gift from my boyfriend. It has always smelt very strongly of powder, rose, and jasmine on my skin before. That's what really comes up for me. Today however, all I can smell is ashes. Not even smoke, just the smell of cold ash (from a fire, not a cigarette). I really do not like it.

Is this normal? Is my skin just having an off-day with Chanel? I didn't put any products on before hand, but I am wearing a long sleeve wool sweater today. I don't no if this has anything to do with it.

I'm mostly curious but also a bit worried. I really love this perfume, and I don't want it to smell this way on me.

Thanks for any thoughts!!

Default Re: Can the way fragrance interacts with your skin change day to day?

Weird. We've had discussions in the past on the interaction between skin and frag, and I don't think there's a consensus. However, your case seems way beyond any reasonable variability.

It is possible that you have a "bad day" - sometimes one eats something one shouldn't, etc. Or it's also possible that the perfume is off or defective (in which case it should be returned). Did you spray it on paper? If it smells bad on paper too, then it's the perfume.

I think No 5 may have been reformulated, since jasmine is now forbidden. But this doesn't explain your impressions.

cacio

Never happened to me. Fragrances are very consistent on my skin. I guess it can change if you eat something very spicy, like garlic, but otherwise I presume it's just your nose developing, changing the perception.

I know that sometimes when your bodyheat rises when its hot outside it can bring to the forefront certain notes in a fragrance that otherwise would remain dormant when it is cold.

Basenotes Member

I'm fairly new to fragrance as well. Speaking from my medical/human body education background, however, I have to join the "absolutely possible!" camp. Many factors influence the makeup of a person's body scent, and those factors don't necessarily remain consistent over time. Some examples are hormonal changes, diet, stress level, and, as Jack Hunter stated above, temperature fluctuations in the environment. Speaking to that last point, I've noticed major changes to the gestalt of specific fragrances between the cold winter and hot summer months (gotta love Chicago). Two examples that come immediately to mind in my experience are Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne and Tom Ford Tuscan Leather.

I only have longevity issues from day to day.
    Chypre Rouge for example: I wore it today and it was ridiculously humid. Three hours later and I couldn't smell it on myself, whereas the last time I wore it, it lasted all day.
    As for such a drastic change, I'm not sure

Ive seen it before, depending on the persons mood. It was freaky lol

Basenotes Plus

The dryness of my skin, hormones, medication and diet all effect the way fragrance smells on me. It could also be the way the fragrance is reacting with your sweater, especially if it was dry cleaned.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    Never happened to me. Fragrances are very consistent on my skin.
    Same here.

Banned

Yeas. The weather modifies a lot fragrances according to the skin.

Banned

Unfortunately, I am mystified as well, but wanted to add my:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ajolie7 View Post
    I'm fairly new to fragrance as well. Speaking from my medical/human body education background, however, I have to join the "absolutely possible!" camp. Many factors influence the makeup of a person's body scent, and those factors don't necessarily remain consistent over time. Some examples are hormonal changes, diet, stress level, and, as Jack Hunter stated above, temperature fluctuations in the environment. Speaking to that last point, I've noticed major changes to the gestalt of specific fragrances between the cold winter and hot summer months (gotta love Chicago). Two examples that come immediately to mind in my experience are Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne and Tom Ford Tuscan Leather.
    @ ajolie7 - A very interesting post.

I strongly think so. Some days to me feel different than others.

What I do want to add is this: Your nose and brain will pick up different notes after several wearings. I'm usually pleasantly surprised when this happens. New sensations can be found in the same scent, even if they're deep in the background.

This is why I love fragrances.

Depends on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Yes, it can.

Haven't sensed any significant difference. Sure, at times, I tend to be more perceptive towards the floral or citrus notes, other times, towards the heavier drydown, but in the end, after letting the fragrance settle for 45 minutes-1 hour at most, the outcome is pretty much the same, even if occasionally certain notes only vaguely and shortly stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by ajolie7 View Post
    Coming from a medical background also, I agree with this, especially concerning hormones, diet, stress etc. If you pay attention to your own prespiration, like when working out, running, it can be different, as well as perception can be different depending on surroundings and factors that influence olfactory sensation. I also agree on Tuscan Leather, sometimes I get more ash in it than other days.

First off; Jasmin is not forbidden.

Now to business. Was the bottle of Chanel 5 a new one, never before used? If so, then it is the fragrance that has gone wrong. If it is bottle that has been used before then it is a reaction between the fragrance and the wearer. Our skin chemistry, and the way fragrances behave varies from day to day. Depending on our diet, our state of health, our age, and for women the time of the month, so will our reaction to fragrance change. For some this change is hardly noticeable, for others the change is enormous.