Code of Conduct

Default Is anyone here playing the Chandler Burr untitled game?

I wish I could but I think non-US people can't participate. Anyhow, the first scent sounds intriguing.

https://opensky.com/chandlerburr/pro...-series-s01e01

Just a warning: avoid the comments section lest you find you want to throttle someone.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is anyone here playing the Chandler Burr untitled game?

Thank you so much for posting this. I signed up immediately! I would love to play this. Ultimate blind sniff!

Kagey - I'll do my best to describe to you everything that I can about the scent. And if I do get it in time, I may be able to hand off a sample by PerfEx (perfumista express). We'll see.....

So how much does it cost? It's not easy to understand from the page.

Somehow, the description made me think about Molecule 01 and Iso-E, except that at the end he says "constructed", implying that there is some work involved...

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this. I signed up immediately! I would love to play this. Ultimate blind sniff!

Kagey - I'll do my best to describe to you everything that I can about the scent. And if I do get it in time, I may be able to hand off a sample by PerfEx (perfumista express). We'll see.....
    Cool - I can't wait to hear what you think! Still, I was thinking about whether it's likely that people in this community would recognize the scent anyhow...

Cacio- It's $50 for 50ml bottles, I think, and there are only 100 of them each time. That's a bit irritating; he could have done 10 or 20 ml bottles and given more people a chance. Plus, who's going to use 50ml of a single perfume in a month?

Blog Entries

If it is a good perfume - or at least if that particular shopper likes the scent - then it is a bargain for the size. If the scent is mediocre, then the shopper is stuck with that bottle.

It would have been a broader audience for evaluation if smaller sizes had been available.
    Last edited by Ursula; 3rd June 2012 at 07:43 AM.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Thanks! $50 for something totally blind is quite a lot...

cacio

"Blind Buy" indeed ! That seems to be the very point of it all.

But I join with the others in thinking that 50ml is a lot of anything to be asked to buy blind.

At $50, my guess is that there will be a lot of bargains, but still, it's a lot of money for many
    people.

I'd be more than interested in pre-subscribing for a series of splits though, if anyone is planing on setting up something along those lines, as I really do love this concept and believe I would learn a lot from it ! Just send me a PM and I'd be willing to join.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 4th June 2012 at 12:49 AM.

Has anyone tried this yet? I went to OpenSky and they are sold out. I'm dead curious!

I can see from the comments that there are some cultural issues that are going to make this experiment kind of tough for Chandler to pull off.

I think we have all been trained via marketing and our acquisition culture that a fragrance only has, for lack of a better term, narcissistic value. That is to say that we evaluate it in purely selfish terms: do I want to SMELL like this? Will this make me more attractive or appealing? Does this enhance me? And if we find it does not, we dispose of it and move on in our shopping quest without giving it much more thought.

But I think Chandler is suggesting that fragrance can be something more than just a pretty and appealing smell. It can be an art. And art does not always reflect on us in easily digested and readily appealing ways. It does not always make us feel more comfortable about ourselves. Even some art widely considered to be brilliant might be very unsettling to find hanging in our living room. Think Joel Peter Witkin or Francis Bacon.

Chandler is attempting to strip out as much of that narcissistic context as he can so people are free to simply evaluate the scent for itself, in a vacuum, as a work of art. No Lara Stone. No fancy bottle. No store or sales clerk. No brand name. No fragrance notes. And no thoughts of whether you should buy or whether it's "right" for you. Because you already bought it.

And stripped of all that consumer noise, he is hoping that you will be free to simply "listen" to what the fragrance says and does.

But reading the comments, I can see that it is going to be very difficult. Because even with Chandler stripping out all the clutter, people still cart in that consumer baggage on their own.

And so in a way, those people are missing the point.

The $50 is for the blindfold. It is for the silence and pristine white walls of the gallery.

The bottle is just a bonus.

Blog Entries

^Exactly! I agree - VERY hard to strip out all the clutter. Perfumistas are knowledgeable about fragrance, but in their own distorted way, like everybody else who doesn't REALLY approach it as art. I'm finding it very hard to see this scent artistically, even with what Burr has said already.

Anyway, I will send a 1 mL sample to anybody IN THE US who has already posted on one of these S01E01 threads, who wants a sample, plus the next 5 posters after that. Just PM me - and ASAP, because I must send Monday. But you MUST promise to respect Burr's conditions. Don't reveal the scent, or deconstruct it in such a way that others can guess. You can make your secret guesses using my little tool on the other thread if you want.

I send out more, but I'm running short of mailers.

-Red

Got my sample today ( Thanks Neil ) but far be it from me (who does not have the world's best nose) to be the first one to dare to get too analytical.

Unisex, for sure, with some orange in the early opening and then....whatever the particular material it is that Burr talks about in his intro. Perhaps there's a little anise in there ? This frag may trend a little in the masculine direction, but perhaps only from the standpoint that it's not overtly feminine. As far as I can tell now ( just been wearing it for a bit) not a big projector, but given that lack of projection is one aspect of contemporary trends, I suspect we'll see more like this in the offerings to come.

But I'd not be surprised if we saw some neo-power frags somewhere along the line too. After all, the fellow does curate a museum.

Burr does a bit of a job in his video in telling us what to expect, and I'm not sure how fair that is, given that we are supposed to remove ourselves from any preconceptions. But it's his job to provide us with some reasoning behind why he picks the things he will, so I suppose there's no way to avoid a little of that.

He also mentions that this scent was made for a specific client by a well-known nose, but at the same time it's supposed to be something that you can already purchase on the market. Spending time guessing what it is is not the point I know, but it's hard not to take these clues and try and make something out of them.

I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Blog Entries

Wow - that got there faster than I expected, Birdboy! Not that I'm complaining.

Nice analysis - I think you've made lots of great points.

As far as being made for a "patron" - my guess is that means a designer, as in the person as opposed to the brand. So Burr may know the history of the fragrance rather well, and we'll probably get some good scoop on it when he unveils the frag!

Just to update, there's some interesting discussion about this, including Chandler Burr himself, on Katie Puckrik's blog: http://www.katiepuckriksmells.com/20...l#comment-form

No real spoilers, except that it's not the perfume a few people guessed it is.

Katie's blog seems to be where it's goin' on with this project for sure. Chandler Burr, Nathan Branch : a bunch of heavy-hitters are spending time there.

Oddly enough, and like many of the comments about this project, everyone seems to be taking about the project, rather than going in the direction CB had intended : taking about the actual perfume itself.

If anyone was wondering how the bottles themselves are coming about, here's what Chandler said :

....to clarify a point, this definitely isn't decanting. I approach the owners of the various works that I like and want to put in the Series. When they give me permission they also call the scent makers-- Givaudan, Firmenich, IFF, etc.-- who then prepare the formula in appropriate alcohol solution, bottle it in 100 lab bottles, and send the bottles to Open Sky's fulfillment warehouse in Connecticut, where the labels, "The Untitled Series S01E02" and so on, are put on. The hundred bottles ship from there.
    Apparently two or three people have correctly guessed what the frag is, and yes - $50 turns out to be a deal...if a person is not overly concerned about having the original bottle.

Blog Entries

Great links!

Yeah, we need to get back on the perfume. More later....

Thanks to Redneck Perfumisto's kind offer - I now have a decant of S01E01. Woo hoo! I sampled it today - without reading any of the speculation in the blogosphere - to try to keep my impressions as pure as possible.

So! I'm going to risk getting it all "wrong" in terms of technical accuracy, and try just to describe how it smells to me Which I think is the point - to experience it directly without critical noise.

Overall - this strikes me as a very modern composition and reminds me of the style of Jean-Claude Ellena and Hermes. It immediately felt unisex, and is very transparent, subtle, and as Birdboy said - not a strong projector. What it felt like to me is a modern take on cologne - it doesn't have the same notes as a traditional cologne, but it functions in the same way. It can be worn easily and lightly by men or women - it's refreshing but also personal, a lovely skin scent. GREAT for summer, but not overtly beachy. It was very smooth and well-blended - and I found it difficult to pick out distinct notes. That said - the opening struck me as citrus-y, with a piquant quality - almost like a faint touch of pepper (or a peppery flower, though it doesn't read as "floral" at all). As it dried down, it had a very subtle and pleasant musky/nutty base. Very clean, not a dirty musk - more of a white musk - without conjuring any images of soap. If anything - it smells like very subtly sexy sun-warmed skin. Very, very nice!

For me personally, my only disappointment was the lack of projection - I don't want my fragrances to harass other people, but I DO want to be able to smell them without huffing my arm. This was an arm-huffer for sure That said, I was using a dabber sample - and if I had sprayed generously and gotten some on my clothes, perhaps the projection would be more to my liking.

Now, I'll admit that after I formed my opinion - I hopped over and read Katie's blog - GREAT thread. I left a comment there under my real name "wesleyhallparker" which is all about the meta part of this experience, which I won't go into here.

What I found really delightful was that Chandler Burr revealed that this fragrance is NOT done by JCE! Which really surprised me. In a way, it makes this fragrance a perfect and clever choice for his first selection - he's already defying expectations, and challenging our noses. Since it IS in the JCE modern/transparent style, and since he does have a relationship with JCE - it's only natural to assume, "Oh yes, JCE." Now I'm dead curious to find out more about whose this is, and what the actual notes are.

I'm very curious to hear everyone else's impressions - especially about the notes of this fragrance. I'm still learning to pick them out - and would love to know more about the construction of this scent.

Overall - this strikes me as a very modern composition and reminds me of the style of Jean-Claude Ellena and Hermes.
    Yes, I was thinking JCE too, but perhaps from the "ethereal" standpoint.

I don't want my fragrances to harass other people, but I DO want to be able to smell them without huffing my arm. This was an arm-huffer for sure
    I suppose this topic has been beaten to death, but really, do we want to be seen walking down the street, smelling our own wrists ?

And yes, he does mention there being a certain material....but what is it ?

Funny how people can jump right in and give their opinions on things when they already know the house, and the name of the perfume, but how hesitant they seem to be to say quite as much when they don't.

Which, I suspect, is one of the several unspoken angles that Chandler is coming from.

Basenotes Institution

Burr reveals the scent tomorrow (Friday the 29th) at noon (EST): https://opensky.com/chandlerburr
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Burr reveals the scent tomorrow (Friday the 29th) at noon (EST): https://opensky.com/chandlerburr
    Cool!

Here are two more guesses:

3e6e76666b69525401a0da0b5cb10903f82d412fd4bc55fb21 a307d5effd6e27
    eebbe1232de256a39712581a63f084df58669154a9ad9793f5 e947121e7b6d15

The first one is a fragrance that Kevin, Brian and I were thinking it might be, after combining our thoughts. The second one is yet another scent that I just became aware of. Once I reveal the decoded guesses, you'll see how they're all connected. (My earlier guesses were on the other thread - but I think these are more likely.)

So what do I think about the fragrance? Now, at the last minute?

Well, most importantly, I think I've gotten past the "branding". HUH? Yes - I've gotten past the "Chandler Burr" brand. I'll explain....

On that thread on Katie's blog, somebody pointed out (and not very diplomatically, either) that Chandler had not really removed all marketing and branding - he had substituted his own. Chandler admitted as much, since it's pretty hard to do otherwise - except possibly by doing a blind sniff with nobody in charge. And it is not exactly easy to get a big, newsworthy, worldwide, high-level public discussion going for blind sniffs, as we all know. So I think we all understand that Chandler has to be forgiven for adding his brand, even as much as he clearly tried to minimize doing so.

Anyway, this still bothered me. I was still getting "branded" as much as if it were McGraw. Was I just going to say that this was a great fragrance because Chandler Burr, the well-known fragrance critic, thought it was great? Was I that much of a lemming? I rebelled at the very idea. I almost felt a need to go looking for reasons that the scent sucked, just to prove my independence.

Fast forward to now. I've burned through a bunch of this stuff. I've tried to love it, and "like" is all I can muster. There's a related scent that I love more. I can even see some admittedly trivial defects - thanks to my defective nose, which experiences certain aromachemicals a bit too strongly, making certain minor aspects of scents too prominent, and thus leaving the whole somewhat lopsided in my nose. They say "your mileage may vary" - and mine really does.

BUT - I now see where Chandler is coming from. I can RESPECT the scent. It's not common - it's not redundant, and it's not defective in any obvious way. It has smoothness that is enjoyable, strength that is subtle and quiet, and it conveys some real feeling. And I'm able to say those things without raving about the scent. It has all the quality of art in a museum that makes me smile, take off my glasses, and look more closely - but which doesn't touch me personally, in the way that *some* art does. It's memorable, but it doesn't make me want to run off and write an ode to it - like no. 5 Eau Première did.

AND THAT IS COOL. Because now I get it. Appreciating art and loving it are not the same. I need to learn how to understand my love of fragrance - to know which aspects of it are important for me, and which ones aren't, but to still understand that all of these aspects exist, and that they may have different degrees of importance to critics with different viewpoints.

This project is like a new exhibit at the museum. It's like a prequel to the new olfactory wing at MAD. And now I'm waiting for the next piece of art. And I'm excited, because THAT ONE may be the one that transports me!

Interesting to find out what it is- and that I own it. I'm looking forward to seeing what he says about it- have limited web access atm.

Redneck- were your guesses correct?!

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting to find out what it is- and that I own it. I'm looking forward to seeing what he says about it- have limited web access atm.

Blog Entries

http://olfactoriastravels.com/2012/0...tery-unveiled/

And the winner is -

PRADA - Infusion D'Iris

The ensuing discussion is rather interesting- some good points are raised. The cynic in me sees this as an experiential marketing ploy though. Many people are treating it as a high profile guessing game, which defeats the purpose. Burr should not be offering his opinion before they've smelled it- its creating expectation and hype, the very thing he is trying to remove.

I find interesting the lady who had smelled ID'I many times before, but never "connected" with it until Burr sent her an unlabelled bottle. Now shes going to run out and buy a full bottle.
    But why is she going to buy it? Because she genuinely loves it, or because Burr influenced her to love it?
    My inner cynic says if everyone has this same reaction- the project hits its target- a sales target.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post

- - - Updated - - -

One of them was - but it wasn't my first hunch, nor my last - and that's an even more interesting story.....

First, here are my guesses, in order, including the encodings:

$ echo "I think it may be Prada Infusion d'Iris EDT" | shasum -a 256
    b9c478936a1b55c567a81b51ee25545d89226dee8829488014 704c7807179731 -

$ echo "I think it may be Prada Infusion d'Iris EDP" | shasum -a 256
    21289547054ab004019c120f75cab4aa08127caebf52271ad2 3cd52b8617aba4 -

$ echo "I think it may be Hermes Hermessence Iris Ukiyoe" | shasum -a 256
    dfb0ba5571a7f5f869dfc888f9fb509e9962506edb3ca1cf62 59a9692924ef9d -

$ echo "I think it may be Prada Infusion d'Homme EDT" | shasum -a 256
    0ad0213e5c72f7766b9f25160e56f36417aa429c6850b7b1fe 11aea94ab5490e -

$ echo "I think it may be Prada Infusion d'Iris Eau de Parfum Absolue" | shasum -a 256
    eebbe1232de256a39712581a63f084df58669154a9ad9793f5 e947121e7b6d15 -

$ echo "I think it may be Prada Infusion de Vetiver" | shasum -a 256
    3e6e76666b69525401a0da0b5cb10903f82d412fd4bc55fb21 a307d5effd6e27 -

It turns out that I own Infusion d'Iris EDP. My wife and one of her best friends LOVE this scent. I wear it to bed. So I am *intimately* familiar with this scent. As soon as I smelled S01E01, I *knew* it was in the "Infusion" family. I had smelled several of the flankers - d'Homme, d'Oranger, de Vetiver and de Tubereuse. I had NOT smelled any of the others.

So - the first thing I said was "This smells a LOT like Infusion d'Iris. But not exactly the same." And that left me stumped. Honestly, this thing did NOT smell exactly like my scent memory. I have to use synaesthetic qualities, to some degree, to describe the difference, but the store-bought d'Iris EDP is cooler, and more "silvery". The iris is more cool-powdery, and it's more fresh. It could almost pass for a guy's sport cologne in some ways. S01E01 was warmer. S01E01 also has more of a certain thiol note, too - a somewhat buttery, sulfury facet. But overall, there are at least 3 significant differences, and I simply could not call it the same to my memory.

I could have done a side-by-side right away, but I sort of felt like that was cheating, so I resisted the temptation. Instead, I decided to rank things. I had not yet smelled the EDT of the scent (which I believe has a greenish dye added). Since it's not unheard of for the EDT and EDP to have different formulas, I reasoned that the EDT was the most likely (choice 1), even though S01E01 did seem a bit strong for an EDT. But my backup choices were (2) the EDP, despite my misgivings about the differences, and (3) Iris Ukiyoe, which I had only smelled once in the store, and which was "close enough for hand grenades", as they say.

Later, I decided that my memory of Infusion d'Homme wasn't all that clear, so it might also need to make the list (4). Clearly at this point I'm shotgunning, so what the hell.

Now, when I was in NYC, I had dinner one night with Brian Chambers and Kevin Guyer. We all sniffed this puppy, and both of those guys spotted vetiver immediately. I'm not perceptive of small amounts of vetiver - it almost has to be a named "Vetiver" frag for my nose to make out vetiver without prompting. But I had to agree - there was a clear vetiver note in this thing. It didn't smell as strong, to my scent memory, as the vetiver in Infusion de Vetiver, which isn't a *huge* vetiver fragrance, but which does have an obvious vetiver note. So I wasn't sure enough to say it really was IdV. And when I was in the store later, I took a sniff of Infusion de Vetiver, and that was definitely NOT S01E01.

SO - I was dumbfounded. I just waited for the result, thinking it was probably the EDT.

Infusion d'Iris EDP! WHOA. So - the first thing I did was test them side-by-side. And they are NOT identical. They are more alike than I remembered, but there is a clear difference. No matter how I sniff them - paper, skin, sprayhead - I can smell the difference. Late in the heart they are almost identical, but there is a real difference in the beginning and in the drydown.

Why? Well, it may just be that my bottle is old, although it's really just 2-3 years old, max. But my scent memory of my bottle is that the differentiating coolness was even stronger when I first bought it, so I doubt that it's just age.

There could actually be a difference in the formulas due to IFRA. Would not be unheard of. There could also be a difference in the components. Much as us BN boys like to be-atch about "poor quality control" and "shoddy batch variations", I've learned enough about the real naturals trade to know that there are good years, good harvests, good batches, and the opposite of all of these, and that you get what you get, at the price you can get away with. Just a difference in the mandarin or the neroli could explain everything, I'm theorizing.

SO - there you have it. I could claim that I guessed it, but really, I only got close. Still, it was fun.

During the process I tried to concentrate on that difference. I thought a lot about it - the difference in the feeling I would have about a woman wearing either scent. And that's what's behind my artistic impressions on Ca Fleure Bon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'eaulita View Post
    The ensuing discussion is rather interesting- some good points are raised. The cynic in me sees this as an experiential marketing ploy though. Many people are treating it as a high profile guessing game, which defeats the purpose. Burr should not be offering his opinion before they've smelled it- its creating expectation and hype, the very thing he is trying to remove.

I find interesting the lady who had smelled ID'I many times before, but never "connected" with it until Burr sent her an unlabelled bottle. Now shes going to run out and buy a full bottle.
    But why is she going to buy it? Because she genuinely loves it, or because Burr influenced her to love it?
    My inner cynic says if everyone has this same reaction- the project hits its target- a sales target.
    Yup, I call this month's result "Burr endorsed" ... because he introduced it with his description, created a vivid interest, revealed it ... and then the member, who had a sample of it, is excited and convinced that now she needs a full bottle. Ha ! She is not the only one, I have put the scent on my Wish List as an Iris scent to try. In fact, I will just follow along each month, and after the scent is revealed at the end, see whether it should be put on my Wish List.

So, the interest of actually participating is going into a downward spiral. It is NOT a true blind test when there is an advance introduction of this month's choice scent. Surely the companies were rushing to make their scents part of this campaign.

Besides, $50. is too much to gamble with. A less expensive test would have reached a larger audience, not just an elite who can shell out $50. on a gamble.

Redneck Perfumisto - I greatly enjoyed reading about your experience of the game (from today at 1:38, 2 posts back). You've convinced me that I have to try Untitled #2, for the experience, though I admit wholeheartedly that after reading the debate on the KP blog earlier this week, I was already lusting after it.

I agree with so many of the posters about this project. I agree that CB's brand is getting substituted a bit (but I don't think that matters; that cross contamination is to be expected). I think it's possible that a laymen would appreciate a piece of art in the MoMA more than he would appreciate the same piece of art on the wall at a pizza joint, and would spend far more time looking at it in the MoMA. It's not surprising that a similar effect is happening here. But I think that most importantly, the experiment gets someone to sit down with the fragrance and marinade in it, emotionally and physically, and experience their own experience of the perfume. Half of the experience in this game has to do with smelling the perfume without knowing who created it, how much it costs, what brand it is, whether its something that a perfumista can brag about enjoying, etc. But the other half of the fun seems to be noticing HOW you actually approach the perfume when you don't know what it is.

Of course, we could do the same thing on BN or MUA or elsewhere, where someone picks a scent that they think is worthy of admiration (marketing aside) and members could buy 5-10ml and then discuss. But to my knowledge, no one has done anything like that, and I really admire CB for taking it on and accepting the many, many criticisms. I liked him before this project (his books are great), but now I'm a wholehearted fan of his.

I wish there was a better, single place that people were discussing the project. I think the Untitled Series is one of the most interesting things in perfumeland to happen since I joined. I'm surprised that I haven't found a single place where people are really discussing it in detail.

Redneck Perfumisto's account is the most detailed I've found.

As to the woman who already had a sample but didn't ever buy a bottle before this--- I have many, many samples that I didn't sit with long enough to fall in love with, or that I smelled knowing their marketing, and therefore had preconceived notions against. Plus, I think that not knowing what the scent is would make many people like it more, because of the mystery. But that's just my 2 cents.
    ~~Huge fan of Hermes, Jean Claude Ellena and Patricia Nicolai!~~
    http://niche-perfume-reviews.blogspot.com/ - my perfume notes

Blog Entries

Thanks, gvillecreative! Glad to hear you're getting into the game.

I'm looking forward to S01E02 as well, and will do my best to land a bottle. If I do, then I will again offer others posting about it on BN (who live in the contiguous 48 states) the chance to sniff a sample from my bottle. Somewhat psyched about that scent, too. I know two or three scents which come very close to Chandler's description - I hope that it is any one of them, honestly. But even more, I want to experience this scent for what it might feel like.

That's the best part of this experience - to sniff like a n00b again! To feel the fragrance, and to react to those feelings.

So - let's give Katie a run for her money. I love Katie's thread on this thing, but there's no reason we can't have some nice discussion here, too. And I definitely think that people need to check out the Katie & Chandler video discussion on Chandler's OpenSky site - that was quite a treat!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    SO - there you have it. I could claim that I guessed it, but really, I only got close. Still, it was fun.

[/URL].
    I don't know about anyone else, but I for one would say that you did guess it.

And yes, I think we could have a good discussion here too, particularity if we could rope more of the gals into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    And yes, I think we could have a good discussion here too, particularity if we could rope more of the gals into it.
    I'm a gal, and I'd love to be a part of the discussion here. There are a few other gals on MUA who are going to participate. I'll encourage them to post here, too!

Blog Entries

OK - S01E02 (aka "Episode 2") is up and available. There are (were) 200 30-mL bottles available. They are only $25 this time, plus shipping, and possibly less a $10 credit if you are new to OpenSky, or free shipping if you go up to $75. They are at:

https://opensky.com/chandlerburr

Redneck Perfumisto, thanks for posting your experience with the first one. It was such a thorough write-up, and really nice to see the process that you went through with the first one. And of course I am totally impressed with your sniffer

I didn't know about the $10 credit, but at $25, I had to buy S01E02.

It didn't charge my shipping (maybe because I'm new?). I can't wait to get it and hear everyone's thoughts.

Any ideas on how I can read the discussion but avoid reading the guesses?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Windblownhair View Post
    Redneck Perfumisto, thanks for posting your experience with the first one. It was such a thorough write-up, and really nice to see the process that you went through with the first one. And of course I am totally impressed with your sniffer
    Thanks! Yeah, I want to call my nose "Old Sparky". Some days it's pretty amazing, and other days it's about as useful as one of those pickup truck flower beds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gvillecreative View Post
    Any ideas on how I can read the discussion but avoid reading the guesses?
    People should really encode their guesses if they feel like they just have to go on the record. Either that or just sit on the guess. I know that there are people guessing already, but I think that spoils it for some folks, so better not to.

If you want to encode your guess so you can go on the record, just start a terminal window (on a Mac) and type:

echo "This part is kinda random and this part is The Name of the Fragrance" | shasum -a 256

The code that comes back can be verified later when you give people the full sentence.

Can't do anything about other blogs and forums, however. I would imagine that guessing will be widespread.

I've seen spoiler boxes on other forums - are those easy to insert?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Windblownhair View Post
    I've seen spoiler boxes on other forums - are those easy to insert?
    I don't think we have those here, unfortunately (good idea!) You could just link to spoiler post on a blog or something. Just mark it prominently as SPOILER.

The thing I like about a hash is that it prevents people from going off and blabbing that I said it was something on another forum.

You can get hash apps for Android phones for free, too. Here's one example. I think you can even install it from the QR code:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/hash-dro...yone.HashDroid

I installed it from the QR code and tested it out. I turned "Redneck Perfumisto" into:

873004758f359509c7cabc16c0ba6114

on my phone, using the default MD5 setting. (The other hashes - still checking them out....)

Nice! I'm on my phone most of the time anyway.

Blog Entries

Hey! This thread got some front page coverage on Basenotes! Very nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Katie's blog seems to be where it's goin' on with this project for sure. ...
    True - a very interesting read. This project has put me on her blog more than anything in the past. But I gotta say - with some of the eye-rolling and cringeable comments going on - damn - it makes me want to thank G_d for the BN moderators.

Sorry I didn't check back on this thread sooner! Basenotes hadn't been emailing me updates when people posted for some odd reason. Everyone's comments have been so thoughtful and great fun to read.

Anyhow - RP, it was so lovely reading your impressions! And I agree with Birdboy - you get credit for guessing it

I'm excited for the next round. I just love it as an experiment in perception, whether or not I love the scent. I bought S01E02 - so I'm all in!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pussinboots View Post
    Sorry I didn't check back on this thread sooner! Basenotes hadn't been emailing me updates when people posted for some odd reason. Everyone's comments have been so thoughtful and great fun to read.

Anyhow - RP, it was so lovely reading your impressions! And I agree with Birdboy - you get credit for guessing it

I'm excited for the next round. I just love it as an experiment in perception, whether or not I love the scent. I bought S01E02 - so I'm all in!
    Thanks, puss! And very glad to hear that you're in this one. I'm really looking forward to your impressions.

I posted my initial impressions on the other thread - but I'm holding my final impressions for after the reveal, because I think I've figured out what it is, and it might taint things now if I say too much. So I really danced around what I smelled, but dug deep on my experiences with the project per se, particularly with this scent. I am hoping for some significant discussion of the scent itself, and its artistry, *after* the reveal.

Anyway, I do think this is a more interesting scent than the last one - on so many levels. I think Chandler is going to get some discussion going with this thing.

One thing is for sure. You're gonna have fun!

Boy, I'm certainly enjoying this experience. It's like....there's the actual frag, and then all the various ways that people seem to be getting their shorts in a twist about the project itself. An exhibition of the fragrance, but an equal exposition on human nature as well.

And damn : Chandler actually mentioned my comments in one of his posts.

As to the new SO1EO2 ( which means Season 01, Episode 02) here's what he has to say about it in his own characteristically restrained prose :

....E02 is in my opinion a work of wild, virtually magical artistry. Here is a creativity almost never seen. E02 does something few other scents can do: Force a sharp intake of breath—the jaw drops, the eyes narrow—both because of its deeply strange beauty and its deeply beautiful strangeness....E02 is a work of olfactory science fiction....Wear it. It’s not a perfume. Perfumes are things people notice. E02 is something people perceive.
    I must admit I'm only on my first couple of wearings and finding it to be light, clean and summerish. Not sure that I've located the strangeness and audacity yet, but I'm also asnosmic for some commoner notes, so I may be one of those who will never get the full pallet of what this one has to offer.

A skin scent, as one might expect for this time of year, so I've needed to really give it some sprays in order to smell it.

Nice that he's cut the cost down, as it will allow for more bottles, and more people to take part.

The SO1EO1 Prada went for $50 for 50ml, and OpenSky is selling it in it's normal clothing for $80, so I don't think anyone's going to end up feel cheated price-wise. Not sure if the pricing aspect of this project dials out lesser priced frags in the future, as I do hope he tries to surprise people with some inexpensive things at some point in the game.