Code of Conduct

Default First Impressions of Ys Uzac

Got the Ys Uzac coffret last night. Some first impressions and a ranking:

4. Lale - Unabashed lemon solifruit. Sweetens up a bit in the drydown, a bit like a lemondrop wrapped in a white floral. Daring concept. Not my thing.
    3. Monodie - Really nice grapfruit and candied orange with a delicate background floral and some dry resinous underpinnings. Lovely and light.
    2. Pohadka - Dry, bracing, almost tannic bay leaf (or sagey tobacco leaf) with a bit of caramel underneath. Reminds me of turmeric. Very original. FBW.
    1. Métaboles - Licorice and tomato leaf seamlessly blended over a nice sandalwood. There are a lot of other subtle things flying around in there that I can't quite pin down. This one has me sniffing my arm obsessively to figure them out. Reminds me of Brin de Réglisse mixed with Memory of Kindness. I LOVE THIS. FBW.

Default Re: First Impressions of Ys Uzac

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Got the Ys Uzac coffret last night. Some first impressions and a ranking:

4. Lale - Unabashed lemon solifruit. Sweetens up a bit in the drydown, a bit like a lemondrop wrapped in a white floral. Daring concept. Not my thing.
    3. Monodie - Really nice grapfruit and candied orange with a delicate background floral and some dry resinous underpinnings. Lovely and light.
    2. Pohadka - Dry, bracing, almost tannic bay leaf (or sagey tobacco leaf) with a bit of caramel underneath. Reminds me of turmeric. Very original. FBW.
    1. Métaboles - Licorice and tomato leaf seamlessly blended over a nice sandalwood. There are a lot of other subtle things flying around in there that I can't quite pin down. This one has me sniffing my arm obsessively to figure them out. Reminds me of Brin de Réglisse mixed with Memory of Kindness. I LOVE THIS. FBW.

I got a sample of Pohadka directly from Ys Uzac. Aren't they the classiest samples you've ever seen, and large too? Pohadka is a wonderful frag.

Yes, their samples are nicely done, though I wish they had sprayers. I was just going to say I think you'd like Pohadka, but you're one step ahead of the game (as always).

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

They're already winning me over with the Hermès-like samples! Nice! Pohadka sounds excellent.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    They're already winning me over with the Hermès-like samples! Nice! Pohadka sounds excellent.
    Between that and Brian's reviews, I think these made it onto my 'to-test' list! When I first read about this line, I wasn't really so excited.

Power Where You Need It

These two are on my "to buy" list, I agree they're both terrific but I slightly prefer Pohadka's edgier facet...Amazing stuff, though...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dependent

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I just bought a bottle of turmeric for the kitchen. I haven't come across a root I didn't like yet -- even valerian, which has got to be the stinkiest, most diffusive root of all time. It's like a sour rotten poisonous mole of some type. (Why aren't perfumers mixing it with luscious florals?!) Pohadka and Metaboles sound very intriguing. What type of "leather" is in the former?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts guys. I just bought a bottle of turmeric for the kitchen. I haven't come across a root I didn't like yet -- even valerian, which has got to be the stinkiest, most diffusive root of all time. It's like a sour rotten poisonous mole of some type. (Why aren't perfumers mixing it with luscious florals?!) Pohadka and Metaboles sound very intriguing. What type of "leather" is in the former?
    I'm not good at picking out birch tar, I'm afraid. I need to smell it on its own so that I can recognize it.

In general, I think most people will love Pohadka. It's a great, modern masculine. I happen to love tomato leaf, and I love the novelty of it with licorice, which is why Métaboles edged upward on my list. A couple hours on, though, and I'm a bit concerned about longevity.

These samples not only look Hermès, but they share olfactory characteristics as well. I think anyone who enjoys the spare architecture of Hermèssence would find some joy in Ys Uzac.

Pohadka sounds like something that will appeal to me.

I'm not good at picking out birch tar, I'm afraid. I need to smell it on its own so that I can recognize it.
    I suggest the following to grasp what birch tar smells like:
    Patchouli 24
    Or Black
    Cuir Amethyste
    Eau du Fier

If you identify the common note in the above, then you have learned what birch tar smells like.
    for swap/sale:

Pohadka is a great scent with a smooth feeling. Definitely a modern unisex...

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Pohadka sounds like something that will appeal to me.
    To me also.

Pohadka was my 2nd niche bottle and pretty much my signiture all spring, however since the weather has heated up I've put it down because a little heat turns that one into a projecton beast on my skin. I have a sample of Metaboles which I agree is nice as well. I am very happy with my bottle and will repurchase.

I tried both Pohadka and Metaboles today and I also wish they had sprayers. Green and fresh fragrances just don't work as well when they're dabbed on imo. Pohadka is not really for me. I don't really like the smoky tabacco in it. Both fragrances are brothers in the sense that they have this sweet vanilla base and their dry-downs are fairly similar. Metaboles on the other hand I really enjoyed initially. On top of that sweet smokey base I get a mix if mint and leaves, however the green fresh notes are not intense enough for my liking, also the licorice could be more pronounced. I like all the notes in Metaboles but the focus is on the woody, smoky, sweet notes (amber, vanilla, sandalwood etc.) whereas I wanted it to smell like a herbal garden. A little too sweet for me.

I just received my YS UZAC variety pack in the mail today. I ordered a four-pack of 4ML samples, and inside the package, they also included a four-pack of 2ML sprays! Meaning that there is now 6ML total of each fragrance, making it extremely affordable! The 4ML bottles are really beautiful, but the rounded bottom means they cannot be displayed standing upright, unfortunately. However, the 2ML sprays are traditional, very convenient, and I am very happy to also have these! I may end up just using the 4ML samples to refill the 2ML sprays.