Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Egoiste! Egoiste! Egoiste!

I just tried this for the first time! I must say, I hadnt been this excited to spray something on my skin for the first time since Pure Malt during the ridiculous(yet well deserved hype).

This stuff is legendary! Pretty much exactly what I expected it to smell like. Such a beautiful blend of Rose, Woods, Cinnamon, and Vanilla. Pure bliss. Dated? No way. Just because it cant be worn while riding a skateboard and sporting a snap-back hat and baggy jeans doesnt mean that its dated. It has to be worn with proper attire. When done so, this is not a risky fragrance at all.

I can confidently say the Egoiste series(Platinum and Original) rivals any other Original-Flanker combinations. I just purchased Platinum Egoiste last week and it has quickly taken the spot as my warm weather signature scent. I will be purchasing a bottle of Egoiste, as it is extremely affordable at Nordstroms even though its a niche quality fragrance.

I can definitely see why some have hailed this as the greatest fragrance ever made. However, my Holy Grail still remains comfortably in its throne.

Default Re: Egoiste! Egoiste! Egoiste!

Egoiste is sure a good one.

Not a fan.

Glad you liked it and enjoy it. Truth be told the latest incarnation pales in comparison to the 1990 version which had a deep note of natural (vs.synthetic) rosewood from top to bottom that is no longer there. If you can find a bottle the concentree version on eBay - grab it as it approaches the 1990 version.

Definitely a suave and complex spicy composition.

Can't believe someone made a thread about Egoiste, and like myself, today is the first time they've smelled or worn it. I bought a 10 ml decant from another members website along with Gucci Pour Homme I which is also the first time I've had enough juice to test it. I share your enthusiasm for Egoiste Jonny and the opening really didn't do it for me, but the heart and especially the drydown is nothing short of perfection. Deserves every bit of hype it gets and now I need to get my hands on a bottle of the concentree as Neal mentioned.
    Last edited by silentrich; 3rd June 2012 at 05:10 AM.

Egoistes dry down is insane. I wore this one cold day and it felt like I was wrapped in a cinnamon and rose vanilla combo. Its awesome.

It is one of the best ever. I first smelled it in NYC at Saks and it was one of those rare "Wow OMG!" fragrance moments for me.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Give us your assessment of PE vs Egoiste

I happen to be wearing it today. It is a great fragrance, but it has always been considered a commercial failure, especially alongside the much more popular PE. It seems like Chanel barely keeps it alive.

Whenever I see someone online praising this to the skies, I give it another try to see if I can appreciate it. But I keep coming back to the same problem: the onslaught of spices at the top is just too aggressive for me. I love Bois des Iles, though, which to me seems like a cousin of Egoiste.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

PE is just a Cool Water spawn in a clear bottle. I dont see why Chanel keeps PM Concentree in every Sephora but not Egoitse. Surely if it was there just as many people would buy it as buy PM, right?
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

It has an elegance that in my opinion is best exemplified by a light touch, otherwise it becomes more a rosewood than a rose.
    When worn rather than one being worn by the fragrance, it is a seductive, drawing scent that is worthy of its Chanel heritage.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaoilgeal View Post
    It has an elegance that in my opinion is best exemplified by a light touch, otherwise it becomes more a rosewood than a rose.
    When worn rather than one being worn by the fragrance, it is a seductive, drawing scent that is worthy of its Chanel heritage.
    How many sprays would you suggest?

I like two partial sprays to the chest and one to the nape of the neck.
    I tried three or four to the chest and got very weary of the smell. (To the point of not using Egoiste.)
    I retried it using a lighter hand (results may vary) and loved the scent...finding it charming and a little sexy.
    My opinion only, of course.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

The opening smells like someone poured vodka on top of a piece of wood. I guess I got a little too close when smelling it. Lol. I'll try the two spray system and see if it helps tone it down a bit.

I like two partial sprays to the chest and one to the nape of the neck.
    I tried three or four to the chest and got very weary of the smell. (To the point of not using Egoiste.)
    I retried it using a lighter hand (results may vary) and loved the scent...finding it charming and a little sexy.
    My opinion only, of course.
    Sounds about right. I think i might do behind the elbow also.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

On a scale of 1-10 I rate Egoiste a 6 and Platinum Egoiste a 6.75. It used to be reversed that I like Egoiste better but these days for some reason I am digging Plat Egoiste.

Sur la Plage

It's a fragrance where the wod "masterpiece" is appropriate.

Now try Egoiste Concentree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Not a fan of its sharp citrus, rosewood opening; but, good thing it only lasts around 15 minutes, and then its beautiful heart and dry down stages make up for it. It develops better and lasts longer on my skin when worn in the cold weather. One of the most unique, masculine fragrances out there.

Egoiste is a damn fine one.
    " In a world of 1s and 0s...are you a zero, or The One? "

Basenotes Member

I just bought a full 50 ml (opened box) Cologne Concentree from the bay. Buy it now price $82 + 5.50 for shipping. If the quality is good I'll be happy with the price I paid. As a reference point a similiar 50ml bottle went for $71 + 5 shipping a week earlier.
    "To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower..." - William Blake

Dependent

i didnt really care for it the last time i tested it. but will all this hype, i shall go try it out again! perhaps i rushed the process since ive only got it on a tester strip.
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

If there was a hall of legendary fragrances from the past hundred years Egoiste would be represented.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Truth be told the latest incarnation pales in comparison to the 1990 version which had a deep note of natural (vs.synthetic) rosewood from top to bottom that is no longer there.
    Now ya' got me curious. I used to rock the Egoiste when it first came out. I bought it again when it got re-leased and was pleased to find that it smelled as I remembered it.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

It's top shelf stuff for sure.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Beautiful fragrance. If only I could find the concentree!!!
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its definatly in my top 5

Bought it in 1990 when it came out. Still have that bottle with about 20ml left in it. That bottle comes out on special occasions.

Deserves to be called 'Great.'

next level: JonnyEgoiste

Maybe I will wear Egoiste again today to give it another go. It may be a fragrance where I need to wear it more to appreciate it.

I bought a sample of Egoiste off the ebay recently, but was not impressed by it. Maybe the sample was a fake.

Agree, great perfume. I like it sooooo much that it spoiled the other ones for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Now ya' got me curious. I used to rock the Egoiste when it first came out. I bought it again when it got re-leased and was pleased to find that it smelled as I remembered it.
    Don't get me wrong as it's still good. I'd rate the 1990 version a 9.5 and the present version an 7.75

Egoiste is indeed one of its kind, do not overlook its mother , Bois des Iles!!

This is perfect scent on a women...I think it´s to sweet ,vanilla and floral to be a masculine fragrance. Can´t stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Egoiste is indeed one of its kind, do not overlook its mother , Bois des Iles!!
    BDI is the grandmother actually. She gave birth to Bois Noir, Egoiste's father.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Can't believe someone made a thread about Egoiste, and like myself, today is the first time they've smelled or worn it. I bought a 10 ml decant from another members website along with Gucci Pour Homme I which is also the first time I've had enough juice to test it. I share your enthusiasm for Egoiste Jonny and the opening really didn't do it for me, but the heart and especially the drydown is nothing short of perfection. Deserves every bit of hype it gets and now I need to get my hands on a bottle of the concentree as Neal mentioned.
    Jonny takes his time with these fragrances. I however dont have the patience he does. Jonny takes longer than some, but he's worth waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post
    Whenever I see someone online praising this to the skies, I give it another try to see if I can appreciate it. But I keep coming back to the same problem: the onslaught of spices at the top is just too aggressive for me.
    Same here. I also find it similiar to Opium PH in style but kinda feminine. Opium is much more wearable to me.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    If there was a hall of legendary fragrances from the past hundred years Egoiste would be represented.
    Agreed. It`s one of the best male scents ever created.

I know this one isn't really available in the UK and Ireland, but is it widely available in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I know this one isn't really available in the UK and Ireland, but is it widely available in Europe?
    You can buy it at practically any Boots, Debenhams or other department store in the UK. Search online Riverwide, I'm sure you must be able to find it somewhere in Dublin.

Thanks for reminding me of how good this one is, by the way.

Just out of interest, is your thread title a chant? i.e. E-GO-ISTE, E-GO-ISTE etc or an outward sigh of admiration, possibly with a slow shake of the head with gently closed eyes as you hold the bottle in your palm?!

One of my favourites, a masterpiece and quite unique, less floral than the recent versions of Bois des Iles. PE is very different and is more of a run-of-the-mill scent with the aquatic-green-fougere notes that characterizes many other recent fragrances.

Egoiste is a classic in every sense of the word. May Chanel never discontinue or reformulate it. I know that's asking a lot, but that is my prayer.

It will always be in my top 3.
    Absolutely amazing dry down!

About Egoiste's reformulation and different concentrations -- I've tried the original (yellowish juice), latest reformulation (lighter/clear juice), and the cologne concentree version, and I actually prefer the latest reformulation the most as it smells more modern and lighter (but still lasts 8+ hours on my skin), compared to the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    You can buy it at practically any Boots, Debenhams or other department store in the UK. Search online Riverwide, I'm sure you must be able to find it somewhere in Dublin.
    Oh it's absolutely not available anywhere in Ireland. I've even spoken to Chanel SAs about it and was told that it's available only in Selfridges in London. I've visited London a few times over the years and never seen it in any Boots or Debenhems store. Next time I'm there I'll be heading straight to Selfridges!

Oh it's absolutely not available anywhere in Ireland. I've even spoken to Chanel SAs about it and was told that it's available only in Selfridges in London. I've visited London a few times over the years and never seen it in any Boots or Debenhems store. Next time I'm there I'll be heading straight to Selfridges!
    That's very interesting; I could swear that I see it all the time. I got my bottle online and I'm sure it was from Debenhams; maybe it was Selfridges. Sorry for the confusion bud.

Wish the Egoiste sample I have smelled the way it is being described here! I get rose from beginning to end - nothing more at all. No change in dry down whatsoever - rose. With the difficulty in finding Egoiste, it is far simpler just to get another rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post

Just out of interest, is your thread title a chant? i.e. E-GO-ISTE, E-GO-ISTE etc or an outward sigh of admiration, possibly with a slow shake of the head with gently closed eyes as you hold the bottle in your palm?!
    I don't want to speak on behalf of Mr. LeMale, but it's most likely a reference to the infamous (and a bit over-the-top) commercial that aired on television in the 1990's.

Egoiste? More like EgOMG!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    It's a fragrance where the wod "masterpiece" is appropriate.

Now try Egoiste Concentree.

Joe - what is your take on the differences between Vintage Egoiste an the discontinued Concentree version?
    Neal

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    I just tried this for the first time! I must say, I hadnt been this excited to spray something on my skin for the first time since Pure Malt during the ridiculous(yet well deserved hype).

This stuff is legendary! Pretty much exactly what I expected it to smell like. Such a beautiful blend of Rose, Woods, Cinnamon, and Vanilla. Pure bliss. Dated? No way. Just because it cant be worn while riding a skateboard and sporting a snap-back hat and baggy jeans doesnt mean that its dated. It has to be worn with proper attire. When done so, this is not a risky fragrance at all.

I can confidently say the Egoiste series(Platinum and Original) rivals any other Original-Flanker combinations. I just purchased Platinum Egoiste last week and it has quickly taken the spot as my warm weather signature scent. I will be purchasing a bottle of Egoiste, as it is extremely affordable at Nordstroms even though its a niche quality fragrance.

I can definitely see why some have hailed this as the greatest fragrance ever made. However, my Holy Grail still remains comfortably in its throne.
    Absolutely! Egosite is really amazing stuff!!

Platinum is good too, but Egoiste just dominates anything in its path.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    About Egoiste's reformulation and different concentrations -- I've tried the original (yellowish juice), latest reformulation (lighter/clear juice), and the cologne concentree version, and I actually prefer the latest reformulation the most as it smells more modern and lighter (but still lasts 8+ hours on my skin), compared to the other two.
    I agree that the current formula is best. I have a bottle from ebay that was sold as "vintage", which I like, but isn't as good as the one I tested at Nordstrom recently. The newer one was bolder and spicier and I think I need a backup. : )

Quote Originally Posted by COMMAND View Post
    I bought a sample of Egoiste off the ebay recently, but was not impressed by it. Maybe the sample was a fake.
    Further to my earlier post, I bought another more official looking sample from the ebay (), I must say that it smells better than the sample I bought earlier. I am impressed and as a result Egoiste is now on my "to buy" list.

Just to confirm, Boots, Debenhams, and John Lewis in the UK don't have it - I've asked in the stores and checked their web sites. They have Platinum, but not the original.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    Just to confirm, Boots, Debenhams, and John Lewis in the UK don't have it - I've asked in the stores and checked their web sites. They have Platinum, but not the original.
    That was my mistake; apologies. I checked and I got my bottle from Selfridges.

One of the few online sellers that have Egoiste is http://uk.strawberrynet.com - does anyone know how reliable they are?

(A couple of Amazon sellers offer it too, but more expensively)
    Alan

I dislike this one.

Me and Chanel don't click.
    I dislike all their fragrances.