Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why is my go-to fragrance suddenly so AWFUL on me??

Hi, all. This is my first post here, though Iíve been lurking for several months.

Iíve had a very confusing and disappointing fragrance experience, and Iím wondering if anyone can shed some light.

For the last 15 years or so Eau díHadrien has been my signature fragrance. I looked long and hard for a signature fragrance that I loved and could comfortably wear every day. Even though I am totally enchanted by the idea of perfumes, Iím very sensitive and most fragrances I sniff give me flu-like symptoms (nausea, headache). In fact, I had to take a total break from wearing perfume for an extended period of time around having my kids because I became so insanely over-sensitive to smells.

So I have just recently started to wear fragrances again after this hiatus. Iíve been exploring and experimenting with the ton of samples Iíve ordered and collected. I pulled out my old stand-by to re-introduce it into my morning routine. And it smelled just like cat urine. Made me totally sick. Smelled ok when sniffing the bottle, so I doubt itís turned. But on my skinÖ.cat urine. BLECH.

Why???! Has anyone else had this happen? Does our body chemistry change as we age? Is it a matter of evolving taste?

Default Re: Why is my go-to fragrance suddenly so AWFUL on me??

Quote Originally Posted by FooDog View Post
    Has anyone else had this happen? Does our body chemistry change as we age? Is it a matter of evolving taste?
    Hasn't happened to me, but as you ponder, perhaps it's a combination of both.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, so sorry for your predicament.

I would say yes, one's body chemistry does change with age. And, more importantly, perhaps, one's tastes do as well.

Just be patient and, in your case, careful. Continue to sample until you find the right scent for you.

&

Post Thanks / Like

One's sense of smell changes over time, usually by becoming less acute.

This hasn't happened to me, but many report on these forums falling out with favorite scents. It could be a matter of changing tastes. I've also noticed that many seem to have much stronger negative reactions to certain fragrances than I do personally. There are plenty of things out there that are not to my taste, usually by being insipid, but nothing has struck me as cat piss or anything horribly unpleasant. So I would guess that some people are just more inclined to have a negative reaction than others.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean it was the same bottle of Eau d'Hadrien, or you bought a new bottle? Eau d'Hadrien had to be reformulated because of IFRA restriction, so the current version doesn't smell like the old.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Wow, so sorry for your predicament.

I would say yes, one's body chemistry does change with age. And, more importantly, perhaps, one's tastes do as well.

Just be patient and, in your case, careful. Continue to sample until you find the right scent for you.

&

I appreciate the encouragement and the welcome. I have found a couple new scents that I am liking tremendously, one of which (Diptyque Oyedo) I think could work well as an everyday fragrance for me. I find it very natural and refreshing, and it perks me up when I'm feeling sluggish.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Do you mean it was the same bottle of Eau d'Hadrien, or you bought a new bottle? Eau d'Hadrien had to be reformulated because of IFRA restriction, so the current version doesn't smell like the old.

cacio
    It's the same bottle, EDP, which is around around 10 years old. Interesting to know...I wonder if the reformulation would work for me...

Post Thanks / Like

If it's the same old bottle, then it's possible that it has turned, citrus does it. I have not smelled vintage, the new one is supposed to be lighter and weaker.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If it is the same bottle, it could have turned. You may wish to investigate the reformulation.

Did you just have your kids ... your hormones may play a part. As we age, we change, and the skin reflects that.

I am too new to extend a hearty welcome, but I am sure that you will enjoy yourself and get all the answers you need.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess the skin changes, as the olfact.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Skin does change with age not only on aspect. A skin test is always good when searching for a new fragrance.