Code of Conduct

Default Want to get into Creeds but I don't like Himalaya/SMW/MI/Aventus - suggestions?

OK so I think GIT is a decent enough frag, but I'm not a fan of most of the more popular Creeds but I am trying to develop an appreciation for this brand.

I find Himalaya, SMW, MI, and Aventus all a bit brash and loud and too fruity. Virgin Island Water is OK but I find it a touch too light and summery for my tastes. As a person who enjoys classic perfumery and more classic styles with an emphasis on natural smelling ingredients what would people suggest I make it my business to try from the Creed range? Bois du Portugal maybe? Bois de Cedrat? Maybe Neroli Sauvage or Erolfa?

What are the Creed connoisseur's suggestions?

Default Re: Want to get into Creeds but I don't like Himalaya/SMW/MI/Aventus - suggestions?

It's a more popular Creed, but Original Vetiver is more on the classic line. Out of the fragrances you selected Bois du Portugal and Neroli Sauvage. Also you might want to sample Windsor, Green Valley, or Royal Oud.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Default Re: Want to get into Creeds but I don't like Himalaya/SMW/MI/Aventus - suggestions?

not Erolfa! Maybe some of the older grey-cap Creeds. There's a few experts arou d here on these.

Bois du Portugal and Feuille Verte

In addition to PEARL's suggestions, I'd recommend Baie de Genievre and Acier Aluminium.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Royal English Leather is perhaps my favorite of the Creed line.

I feel pretty much the same way as you about their most popular frags. To my nose the better ones are talked about the least.

Don't forget their women's frags. Irisia, Jasmine Imperiatrice, and Vanisia are more interesting to me than many in their men's line, and can be considered unisex.

Definitely try Bois du Portugal, and some of the older grey cap creeds. Also Tabarome Millesime has a somewhat old school feel to it.

Selection Verte, Royal Scottish Lavender, Taberome Millesime, Santal Imperial, Acier Aluminium.

Baie de Genivere you'll dig.

You may not like any Creeds...nothing wrong with that. Other than the ones you named, I like Windsor, Royal Oud, Selection Verte, Jardin d'Amalfi and Acier Aluminium.

You could try some classics:

Vinatge Tabarome
    Green Valley
    Selection Verte
    Vetiver 1948
    Angelique Encens
    Bois de Santal

I think I read recently that Selection Verte is in alternating production with Fleur de The Rose Bulgarie, but the rest are discontinued I believe.
    Last edited by morrison74; 3rd June 2012 at 04:56 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Creed is not for you, don't force yourself to like a house, or a perfume, just look else where, there are plenty of houses to be explored.

Royal oud is my favorite from their line.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    You may not like any Creeds...nothing wrong with that. Other than the ones you named, I like Windsor, Royal Oud, Selection Verte, Jardin d'Amalfi and Acier Aluminium.
    No true enough! But I really like to give a House a fair crack of the whip, and for the longest time I've dismissed Creed on the basis of the more recent releases and I don't think that's fair really.

Btw, thanks guys some really great suggestions! Right now Selection Verte, Jardin d'Amalfi, Windsor, Bois du Portugal, Tabarome, and Irisia (thanks Noggs for reminding me that do actually make women's perfumes, easy to forget! LOL) all sound like I might be into them.

Blog Entries

Great suggestions already! I'll expand on some.

Bois de Cedrat is very good for summer, but it's terribly light and disappears quickly. Don't be afraid to use it quickly, too. This one is optimal if you use it up in a couple of years, so go to town with it, and you'll love it. A great night-time fragrance.

Santal Imperial is also light after the topnotes are gone, but the very low-key base is fantastic and worth the wait.

Royal Water is summery and very interesting. A bit of a Penhaligon's vibe to my nose.

Chevrefeuille Original is also a fascinating floral (honeysuckle) that smells great on guys. Worth checking out.

Virgin Island Water is my new fave - I just try not to be shy about application, and that really works. It does nicely on skin - deeper and darker than on paper.

You're doing the right thing. Creed really has two directions - crowd-pleasers and classics. People tend to overlook the "offbeat" selections of most lines, but with Creed, that's a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Great suggestions already! I'll expand on some.

Bois de Cedrat is very good for summer, but it's terribly light and disappears quickly. Don't be afraid to use it quickly, too. This one is optimal if you use it up in a couple of years, so go to town with it, and you'll love it. A great night-time fragrance.

Santal Imperial is also light after the topnotes are gone, but the very low-key base is fantastic and worth the wait.

Royal Water is summery and very interesting. A bit of a Penhaligon's vibe to my nose.

Chevrefeuille Original is also a fascinating floral (honeysuckle) that smells great on guys. Worth checking out.

Virgin Island Water is my new fave - I just try not to be shy about application, and that really works. It does nicely on skin - deeper and darker than on paper.

You're doing the right thing. Creed really has two directions - crowd-pleasers and classics. People tend to overlook the "offbeat" selections of most lines, but with Creed, that's a mistake.

Oooh Chevrefeuille Original sounds interesting! I love Honeysuckle and it's rare enough in perfumery for some reason. Thanks for the advice!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaire View Post
    Oooh Chevrefeuille Original sounds interesting! I love Honeysuckle and it's rare enough in perfumery for some reason. Thanks for the advice!
    No problem! I tried it just recently when I heard that a rather stylish young guy who I know wears it. That really raised an eyebrow. I had passed it up for years, mostly because other Creeds grabbed my attention and distracted me. It just blew me away on skin. Had I been throwing around money, I would have added it to my shopping list, but my wonderful Creed rep gave me some samples, and I know it will haunt me until it gets bought another time.

Dependent

Baie de Genievre -- my favorite Creed (I dislike all newer Creeds than this actually). the closest to an 80s powerhouse featuring vetiver and loads of ambergris

Chevrefeuille Original -- came out the same year. uses honeysuckle leaf, a very interesting and unusual green note, along with tons of ambergris again

Epicea -- for clove fans.

Keep in mind ambergris (I think that is the issue) does NOT diffuse well on paper. They must be tried on skin.

Royal Scottish Lavender

If you don`t like S.M.W / M.I / Aventus, then maby Creed isn`t the company for you..

There's much more to Creed than the modern Millesime's.

I'd very much recommend checking out Cypres-Musc, Its probably my favourite thing Olivier Creed has created. Its a real statement signature scent.

Get some of the older/more classical ones that some of the previous posters have mentioned.

Royal Scottish Lavender
    Feuille Verte
    Royal English Leather
    Bois de Santal
    Bois de Poertugal
    Citrus Bigarrade
    Neroli Sauvage

Bois du portugal

I do not like any of them.
    It is not kind of perfumery. No further attraction indeed.
    And there is a lot of Blá, Blá Blá on this name.
    Instead of spending a fortune with Creed I prefer to expend with Serge Lutens, Guerlain, Dior, Nicolai, Chanel ( only a couple of them )....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post

Chevrefeuille Original -- came out the same year. uses honeysuckle leaf, a very interesting and unusual green note, along with tons of ambergris again
    Interesting story on it, too...

http://www.creedboutique.com/creed-u...refeuille.html

That also explains why the opening is so herbal, and yet they claim it to be a floral. You have to wait for the flower. It's usually the other way around for so many scents. Thanks for pointing that out - I was doing something of a WTF on it.

Quote Originally Posted by aldo milani View Post
    I do not like any of them.
    It is not kind of perfumery. No further attraction indeed.
    And there is a lot of Blá, Blá Blá on this name.
    Instead of spending a fortune with Creed I prefer to expend with Serge Lutens, Guerlain, Dior, Nicolai, Chanel ( only a couple of them )....

Well the bulk of my collection is composed of Chanel, Guerlain and Hermes, I know those Houses and their work fairly well at this point and love so much of it. I have always been really open minded about Niche and attempted to sniff as much of it as I could, and sometimes I have been extremely charmed and fascinated enough to get into their work.

I was somewhat put off by the marketing and hype associated with Creed, and honestly I was never that crazy about the modern Millesime releases so I think that really irked me. It has made me unfairly prejudiced against a House whose work I then failed to make myself any more familiar with.

I'm not one for making snap judgements so it's never sat right with me that I dismissed Creed as I had and now I'm hoping to explore their range to see if my initial feelings about them were correct or if there are perhaps some perfumes among their range which I absolutely love. And at the end of the day my interest in perfumes is about pleasure and enjoyment as much as about connoisseurship and an interest in the history and artistry involved in perfumery, so I figure why deny myself the possibility of some pleasure and enjoyment just because Creed made an initial bad impression on me?

The Creed approach between roughly 1975 (begin of the perfume house) and 1985 (Green Urish Tweed) was principally to produce vintage-style fragrances ranging from the old Victorian style to the 1920s using the best oils and bases. That's where you'll find straightforward high quality beauties like Bois de Santal, Baie de Genievre, Epicea, Cypres Musc, Royal Scottish Lavender or headier ones like Orange Spice, Royal English Leather and the most complex Creed of all, Tabarome Private Collection (or Vintage).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matičre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénčtrent le verre.

Another vote for Bois du Portugal, at least as a testing/sampling suggestion.

Royal Scottish Lavender.

I absolutely love Bois du Portugal and Baie de Geničvre, and if you want to try them, do it fast as the greycaps are supposed to be slowly getting discontinued. What a shame!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit