Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Layering Frags

Default Re: How do you layer fragrances?

Either spraying on-top of each other or next to each other. One weird but wonderful combo I found was a spray of l'eau d'Issey on each pec & a spray of Lolita Lempicka au Masculin just above the belly button.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Simple: in my case and my humble opinion, one example, although not the only one, for it:

a few spritzes - although quantity not definitely established- of Dior Homme

a few spritzes - again, quantity not definitely established- of Eau de Cedre Bleu (unisex) by Yves Rocher

The great thing is that, even if one tends to dislike these two scents taken separately, the combination is far more complex and balanced than these two fragrances "going solo".

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    One of my favorite layering techniques is with Encre Noire where I use two sprays of Encre Noire and one of Ambre Gris. The Ambre Gris adds the demension of slightly fruity gourmand to the dry woods of Encre Noire.
    Ooh ! Cool one N_Tesla ... I really like the sound of your combination here. I can already smell it with my "mind" . And I'm pretty sure that that would definitely "rock" ! ... I'm off to go try them out right this minute ! ... Thanx !

Default What are your favourite perfume combinations?

I wonder what would it happen if I layered two or three perfumes, but I have no idea what goes with what (total newbe here)... Which families (or even better... perfumes) would you layer together? Which combinations do you like?

For instance: if I'm wearing Allure EDP today, what would be a good pair to make it more "summery" (it's warm here)?

Thanks for all you input...

Default Re: What are your favourite perfume combinations?

I'm thinking something light and hesperidic up top, Badufita, but I am no expert!

By happy coincidence, today I am layering Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Tiaré Mimosa with L'Artisan's Timbuktu: a creamy floral meets a translucent woody spice. It's serendipitously superb!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Mmmmhhhh... I might try to layer Aqua di Parma Colonia to see if that makes a good combo... Thanks for your input!!

I haven't done a great deal of layering, but so far my best combo's are:

Teo Cabanel's Alahine layered with By Kilian's Liasons Dangereuses

Chanel's Coco layered with Comptor sud Pacifique's Vanilla Abricot
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

There are others on the board who are terrific at combos. I have a few that I enjoy:
    Tea Rose and Chanel no. 19
    Jo Malone's Orange Blossom with her Pomegranate Noir
    Pomegranate Noir with Tea Rose
    Pomegranate Noir with Philosophy's Falling in Love
    Cristalle with Fresh's Lemon Sugar

I've done one myself today which I enjoyed: Allure EDP+Flowerbomb Extrême... Quite dramatic for daytime but "doable"... :P

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    There are others on the board who are terrific at combos. I have a few that I enjoy:
    Tea Rose and Chanel no. 19
    Jo Malone's Orange Blossom with her Pomegranate Noir
    Pomegranate Noir with Tea Rose
    Pomegranate Noir with Philosophy's Falling in Love
    Cristalle with Fresh's Lemon Sugar
    Goldie, the Cristalle and No 19 combo's sound especially good!
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

I layer Lea St Barth quite a bit. It softens/warms/edible-izes. I especially like it layered with Monyette Paris.

Escentric Molecules Molecule 02 (is this the one? the one that is the single note?) also softens some frags I find too sharp.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Blog Entries

I have success layering scents that are basically soliflore or fairly straightforward in their composition. Like YSL Paris and DK Black Cashmere. I should definitely play around more with layering, maybe use up some samples that I'm so-so on, like Chanel Chance and D Squared He Wood. Hmm.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Smile Re: What are your favourite perfume combinations?

I once layered Douce Amere, Gucci by Gucci and A la Nuit on a marathon
    sniffing session and received more compliments from complete strangers in the department store than I care to mention!!

Baghari & Jo Malone Orange Blossom! I normally don't layer different scents (I figure that if the perfume is done well, there is no need). But there is something about these that make the sum greater than the two parts. I suspect that most Jo Malone colognes are perfect for layering.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage*red View Post
    Baghari & Jo Malone Orange Blossom! I normally don't layer different scents (I figure that if the perfume is done well, there is no need). But there is something about these that make the sum greater than the two parts. I suspect that most Jo Malone colognes are perfect for layering.
    I can easily see how this combo would work. Put this on my list to try!
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

I don't do a lot of layering, but will often pair a vanilla scent with some of my more masculine woody scents to "femme" them up. My favorite is layering a bit of Vanille Sauvage de Madagascar from La Maison de la Vanille with Tauer Lonestar Memories, smells amazing, deep smoky and sweet!

I also have Iris Poudre lotion and layer it with a lot of things -- my favorite is Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman. I also once found that layering SL Douce Amere with Daim Blond smelled great. And based on a recommendation here, I tried Montale Black Aoud with Crystal Flowers, which is very nice.

I like layering better when the scents blend into something new -- a lot of times I just end up smelling each scent at different times, which is kind of distracting.

I found out that Samsara layered with Tam Dao was fantastic.

Concentree D'Orange Verte and Lavender by Molinard are a nice combo on me. (IMHO)
    Of the several disastrous attempts I've made at layering, those were the only two which "worked" together.
    Other combinations have been too complex and bring out some kind of chemical, cheap smelling yuck. Even great fragrances have smelled terrible in combo. I guess it just takes practice (and a matter of taste of course).

Good luck!

Not a favorite but I had to post: had a spritz of Bois Farine on one wrist and FM's Dans tes Bras (thanks Haunani!) on the other. After giving husband a hug, he asked if I'd been eating popcorn. Popcorn??? Apparently the combo smells like just that! How strange! Off to make the real thing :-)
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Default Crazy layers = something fab

I've been sampling like a fiend lately and got a little impatient moving on to the next scent before the first had completely disappeared. Today I stared with CBMusk, then on to Guerlain SDV, and then finally Bandit edp. Each lovely on their own but now that I have faint whispers of each intermingling, I swear I smell positively swoon worthy. (Of course I am at home alone so I may actually be frighteningly stinky).

It got me curious about your more sophisticated noses, your favorite layers and how you came to them: by chance or by design.

Default Re: Crazy layers = something fab

I've had similar experiences while sampling.
    The problem was, I didn't know how exactly I'd gotten around to smelling the way I did,
    so I wasn't able to deliberately recreate the effect.

For example, I wore Samsara one day. Showered and test L'Eau D'Issey the next day. Swam in a river.
    Afterward there was a wonderful base of one of those frags left on my wrist, or a combination.
    I couldn't be sure it was L'Eau D'Issey with the great longevity because it could have been the Samsara (which I know has great longevity).

That's why I try to discipline myself when sampling-and take my time- so I know what's what. But sometimes it's hard to do that. I can be a little "fiendish" myself at times.
    Otherwise, I'm hesitant to layer because I want to discern each individual fragrance. Maybe someday ...
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

I have good success layering amber and rose -- I have a lot of amber scents but after a while they may get too "pure amber" so if I add a bit of a rose scent in the afternoon, it's like wearing a new fragrance (and without them clashing). I don't typically wear rose based scents so it's a good way for me to use up my seemingly countless Rosine samples.

Another crazy combo I achieved (quite unsuspectingly) was when I tried Nassomato China White. I accidentally applied Antonia's Flowers Floret nearby and after 10 min or so I started getting whiffs of Joop Homme (someone I knew used to wear it). I began to suspect hat it was the combo, because China White alone on the other wrist produced no Joop. So I applied Floret on the other wrist and voila -- Joop again. That was quite a blast from the past, I tell you.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    Otherwise, I'm hesitant to layer because I want to discern each individual fragrance. Maybe someday ...
    I hear ya, I need to be a better student!

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    I tried Nassomato China White. I accidentally applied Antonia's Flowers Floret nearby and after 10 min or so I started getting whiffs of Joop Homme (someone I knew used to wear it)
    I am so envious of you all here who can define what you're smelling (CW+AFF= JOOP!!)

These are my two favourite "layers" ... which I came upon due to thinking that they might work together, and then experimenting. ... And they did ! Yay !!! ... And I now wear them often layered, when I feel like a little variety.

Tom Ford Extreme + Tom Ford Black Orchid

And ...

Givenchy Organza Indecence + Chanel Coromandel

Actually I quite like layering these Diptyque's too
    At ... 1 part Philosykos + 2 parts Tam Dao (if not even 3?)

Hmm, I'll have to try the Organza Indecence and Coromandel combo--sounds interesting, although they both are complex enough in their own right, I'm not sure how it will smell to my nose, lol.

Hmm, I'll have to try the Organza Indecence and Coromandel combo--sounds interesting, although they both are complex enough in their own right, I'm not sure how it will smell to my nose, lol.
    Hiya Asha ... Yep I definitely think it works. The Coromandel just makes the Indecence a little more patchouli rich, and the Indecence just makes the Coromandel a little more woody/ambery ! ... And I really like the combo ! They have pretty much the same "resonance". ... It's well worth giving it a try !

Here's something I noticed today:

Tested L'Instant de Guerlain on my bare wrist the other day- liked it just fine.
    Tested it today after I thought a different frag had worn off my wrists, and yuck. Yucky yucky chemical reaction I think. Washed wrists. Still yuck.

I think that was more than just clashing scents there- those perfumes weren't made to go together and by golly they sure don't. Not to discourage layering by any means, but thought I'd mention that. Maybe it's be safer not to spray more than one frag on the same spot- maybe I'll try layering onto clothing, or different areas on the body. Or at least let one dry before applying the next. That way you're only smelling the scent and not the two juices being mixed up with each other. Just thought I'd throw that out there. A word of caution I guess. I don't actually know what I'm talking about but rather wanted to share that experience.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Tested L'Instant de Guerlain on my bare wrist the other day- liked it just fine.
    Tested it today after I thought a different frag had worn off my wrists, and yuck. Yucky yucky chemical reaction I think. Washed wrists. Still yuck.

I think that was more than just clashing scents there- those perfumes weren't made to go together and by golly they sure don't. Not to discourage layering by any means, but thought I'd mention that. Maybe it's be safer not to spray more than one frag on the same spot- maybe I'll try layering onto clothing, or different areas on the body. Or at least let one dry before applying the next. That way you're only smelling the scent and not the two juices being mixed up with each other. Just thought I'd throw that out there. A word of caution I guess. I don't actually know what I'm talking about but rather wanted to share that experience.
    I agree, some scents really just don't layer well at all. ... And I agree too that some layerings are better done sprayed on seperate parts of your skin. So just the sillage intermingles. Or even drifts in and out ... so you smell one now, then the other, then both together. All at seperate times. . ... But some do work mixed on the same spot too. The Coromandel/Indecence one blends well on the same spot (in fact it is actually better that way !) ...
    Half the fun is working out which work, which don't, and in what manner.

Oh who was it who had a bunch of fabulous layering suggestions in her signature recently?
    I tried one of them - Feminite du Bois + Bulgari Black and it was gorgeous.

Moondeva always used to come up with bonkers but brilliant layering ideas too.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Ooooh I want to try!! but I haven't got many frags to try it with really. haha. Although was wearing coco mademoiselle the other day and sprayed a bit of kenzo flowers further up my arm, that was quite interesting how it completely changed and intermingled. Dunno if I actually liked it or not though

I love Coco and CSP vanille abricot, also a favorite is Liasons Dangereauses with TC Alahine. I've also tried LD with No 19. Premiere Figuer Extreme is very nice with Mimosa pour moi, or any other mimosa. I haven't tried too many combos, as I try to appreciate individual scents. Gotta be in the mood to experiment, I guess.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Thank heavens I found this thread! I ended up layering two unlikely fragrances and felt like I had committed some sort of immoral fragrance crime!

I have tried and frankly, wondered about, Creed's Fleurs de Bulgarie on and off ever since I bought a bottle about 2 years ago. It was always 'interesting' but I never craved it. It was something I put on when I wanted to 'think differently'. Perhaps it's because I am drawn to day-dream fragrances that are said to be sweet, spicy, heady, and often, oriental.

FDB moves quickly to an interesting soapy musk one my skin and I now realize that I feel as though it is 'headless' when I wear it. It has a body but no head - no central point for a person with my preferences to gravitate toward. But...interesting.

Now, for some reason, I kept thinking that Rasa - by Ava Luxe (not the extreme version) was a head without a body when I wear it. I could 'stare' at the beautiful heart of the fragrance but it seems to elude me because it lacked gravity.
    Until...quite accidentally - I applied Rasa over FDB. Odd - how beautiful it seems. The features of each intrigue me but together - they satisfy me. I am not someone who can identify notes etc. It's possible that this is actually hazardous in combination -but not to me.
    I am intrigued by the thought of layering and begin to hope that it will stop me from spending too much money on MORE bottles if I already have within my grasp, more possibilities.

Eau Sauvage (Dior) and Femme Individuelle (Montblanc). Gives me a 3D impression!

Quote Originally Posted by lovethescents View Post
    Not a favorite but I had to post: had a spritz of Bois Farine on one wrist and FM's Dans tes Bras (thanks Haunani!) on the other. After giving husband a hug, he asked if I'd been eating popcorn. Popcorn??? Apparently the combo smells like just that! How strange! Off to make the real thing :-)
    LOL! How cute. My husband could never wrap his nose around Dans Tes Bras, as much as I loved it.

All the delicious combos above sound so interesting and inspiring. I know her scents are not for everyone, but I just adore Jo Malone and her simple scents do layer well.

Goldie- I agree with Lessa, your Cristalle and No19 layering ideas sound lovely.

Basenotes Institution

Jicky extrait and EDP layered with Shalimar EDP is great.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

One layering that applies to men and women is Encre Noire (three spritz) Ambre Gris (one spritz. The ambre gris adds complexity and just a little sweetness. IIIIIIII like it!

Basenotes Institution

Here's one I've just tried- a little crazy I know and I'm sure some will think it's horrible - Fracas EDP and touch of extrait and Youth Dew extrait - small amount . Not all on the same spot ! Not bad at all !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Oooh I'm fascinated by layering, another total newbie here though hehe.

Mind you today I was wearing Kenzo flowers and layered it with some vanilla body spray, it was really quite yummy. Any more recs what I could layer with Flowers?

Birmane (Van Cleef & Arpels) and Bond Girl 007 (Avon). What a lilting spring effect! Only, it is quite ephemeral. But oh, the beauty of fairy dust.

"Baghari & Jo Malone Orange Blossom"

That sounds a really nice combination actually. I'll have to try it.

Last edited by fragrancegirl; 18th August 2009 at 12:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Dani California: There is another fragrance very similar to flowers you might try or possible even layer and that is Caron's Royal Bain de Caron.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani California View Post
    Oooh I'm fascinated by layering, another total newbie here though hehe.

Mind you today I was wearing Kenzo flowers and layered it with some vanilla body spray, it was really quite yummy. Any more recs what I could layer with Flowers?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 13th August 2009 at 06:51 PM.

Molinard Vanille is a great layering vanilla - I layer it with Allure most often.

Organza Indecence and Perlier Aqua Serena is a great citrus & spice combo.

YR monoi de Tahiti and Noix de Coco for a beachy scent.

Not intentional but I'm wearing three fragrances at the moment that are all working well together. I started the morning in Chanel No. 5 edt; then later on, just because, I added a spritz of Bourbon French Perfumery's Kus Kus edc (powdery sweet amber); then I added Marc Jacobs Lemon splash over that because I had just bought a bottle at Marshalls and wanted to try it. They all smell wonderful together! I'm now heading for the shower so I can do some afternoon testing.

Mitsouko eau de parfum (oakmoss replaced by treemoss, alas), plus (ephemeral) Hard Candy eau de parfum. Adds pizzazz! But Mitsouko wins (a tad more relaxed but integral)

Quote Originally Posted by vintage*red View Post
    I agree with you about that - perfume done well, no need, I mean. I've never had the confidence for layering. I've dabbled a bit, but generally I just trust the people who spend their lives formulating these tremendous fragrances for us, that nothing really needs to be added. I may experiment if I ever run out of fabulous fragrances to buy and need something 'new'...
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I think my favorite is Coco and Chanel 5. Like Opium with better ingredients.

I'll layer to add woody depths to a floral, or tone-down woods or oriental scents by amplifying the heart notes. I usually cross fragrance categories when layering, i.e. I rarely layer two straight floral fragrances or two oriental scents.

I layer Jo Malone's vetiver with all the feminine perfumes I got as presents or samples but find too sweet for my personality: Bulgari Rose Essentielle, Bulgari Omnia, Tauleto.
    By favourite layering is Mitsouko+Guerlain Vetiver: the notes they have in common (citrus, spice) are enhanced and the others (flowers and woods) balance one another perfecly.

Some of these combos sound so good my mouth is almost watering

Wearing a fave Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint with JM Vintage Gardenia. Love this.

I love to layer Montale White Musk or Kareem Abdul Egyptian Musk with anything.

I do not layer. I "offset." At the end of the day, I select another scent and apply it in places I have not applied the original, but there must be some commonality between the two. The second cancels out the first, but the olfactory imprint remains.

If there is smoke, there must be fire: Tauer's Lonestar and Bulgari Black (or one of the CDG with either incense, rubber, or tar).

A rose is a rose is (perhaps not) a rose: Mille et Une Rose (or Ghost) and Black Oud (I suspect I've misspelled this and am too lazy to look it up).

But then: Une Rose and Habanita or Une Rose and Tann Rokka Aki (picking up powdery amber notes).

Jicky and Gris Clair

Cuiron layered with a big floral or sandalwood.
    Le Mentaliste Magnifique

The best mix ever - Rousse SL + Un Bois Vanille SL. Awesome!

Thumbs up Accidently layering a good combo

Has any one ever done this. I was deciding what to wear this morning, and deciding that Green Irish Tweed would go well for me today sprayed two shots on my neck, left and right. But then I realized that not enough juice came out of the bottle. I sprayed a couple more times and realized that I probably got about 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 sprays on me ( I need another bottle) so I felt I should spray something else on me. I chose Azzaro ph because I thought it was the closest thing to Git. I put 1 spray on my neck and 2 sprays on my chest. and went to work. I got 3 compliments today including an attractive young Lady I met in the elevator on the way to lunch. My God, I smelled really nice today. I think I was Over dosed on Lavender but the dry down was spectacular. when I got home I went into the basenotes fragrance reviews for both frags, and there I see. BASENOTES: Ambergris. both frags. I think that was it, I had a Ambergris Cocktail. I accidently chose a combo of frags that was super

Blog Entries

Default Re: Accidently layering a good combo

Yes, accidental layering combinations are nice. Here are some good ones I've noticed:

Givenchy Pi Neo + Creed Santal Imperial

The Creed adds sandalwood and ambergris to the base of the Givenchy.

Hermès Un Jardin en Meditérranée + The Different Company Jasmin de Nuit

Céline's scent adds floral and sweet notes to her father's dry and woody scent.

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande + Prada Infusion d'Iris

The iris scent adds a sexy softness to the pepper and wood of the Hermès scent.

I think you're right about adding ambergris. It's a damn nice addition in many combinations.

HMMMM interesting.

I don't have Green Irish Tweed but I wonder if your discovery applies to Garrigue from MPG as I have that one. They have been described as similar on here....I'll check it out personally...

As I said before, I happened to accidentally put on some Dior Homme over Yves Rocher's Eau de Cedre Bleu and the result was just stunning.

For me, Eau des Baux and Fahrenheit.

Another combo is Mugler Cologne and A*Men.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I accidentally layered two SL fragrances, something that I would never dare do because of the complexity and intensity of this house. It was Chene and after about three hours Daim Blond on top of it. It was amazing because Daim Blond transformed into something that could be named Cuir Fonce (Dark Leather). The leathery notes of DB took a completely different turn and an imortelle note that I would never have detected in Chene suddenly appeared giving it a very dark aspect. Magnificent!
    Last edited by cpk; 24th September 2009 at 03:06 PM.

I've discovered that layering egoiste and the reforumlated m7 yields something similiar to Chanel's Coromandel...