Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Layering Frags

Default Re: Accidently layering a good combo

Egoiste + AdP Colonia

Softens the rough edges that Egoiste has, but at the same time emphasizes what I consider the highlights of both fragrances - roses! Yes, that initial punch that Egoiste packs is undoubtedly part of its appeal, but sometimes you feel it is a bit too strong.

How did I come across this combination? Well, they were the only two bottles that I had with me for a whole year in Jordan (yeah, that was really tragic... of course, they are excellent scents but I was pining for the rest of my collection. Hadn't figured perfumes would be so expensive to restock upon until I got there.)

Thanks Everyone, I have some of these frag you just mentioned. I will accidently layer these too

Wrote this thread last year

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...light=layering

Mine was D&G By and Burberry London
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

A tiny bit of Yatagan covered with Guerlain vetiver is a nice combination I am enjoying today.

Body Kouros and Czech & Speake Cuba of all things. Don't know why, but it works.
    BK also works with No. 88 but I like the Cuba combo better.

And btw Ken_Russel: I love Yves Rocher Eau de Cedre Bleue. I often wonder how it would mix with M7. Woohoo! Another combo to try!

Hey Tough cool, Great thread. Enjoyed it, now you know how I felt

Default Re: What are your favourite perfume combinations?

I tested to overlay 'Rose Muskissime' over Piguet''s 'Bandit'. This is heavenly.
    Last edited by Pola N.; 14th October 2009 at 10:51 AM.

I love adding a little Lancome Magie Noire to other perfumes, because it comes out almost all incense on my skin.

Lately, I've used Magie Noire with Marc Jacob's Amber splash, which becomes all smoke and amber. So lovely! And then I layered Magie Noire with Estee Lauder's Sensuous, which I love on its own but always thought the sweetness of its honeyed woods needed a little smoke. So together, they're quite delicious.

Jo Malone creates her scents for layering and has a fragrance combining menu on her webpage with different suggestions for each, if you're interested. And I agree about wearing one during the day and another later on, I do that a lot.

I often pick up on a note in a fragrance that I want to accentuate and layer with that or use complimentary notes. For instance, the notes in Allure are Italian Citron, Bergamot, Mandarin, Passion Fruit, May Rose, Honeysuckle, Magnolia, Jasmine, Water Lily, Vetiver, Bourbon Vanilla.

You might try TDC Divine Bergamot, Eau de Rochas, Keiko Mecheri Passiflore, Guerlain Vetiver Pour Elle, Annick Goutal Le Chevrefeuille (honeysuckle) or Eau de Italie Magnolia Roma. Chanel Gardenia smells more like jasmine. Or you could try a vanilla scent. Lots to choose from there.

I also use bath and body products in a complimentary note. Perlier and Elariia make some nice products, you can see them on hsn.com (good deals Italian Bath and Body) or their individual websites. Elariia Rosa di Maggio with may roses might be pretty with it.

Accidents happen, too. A few months ago I put Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere on and accidentally sprayed Lancome Magnifique with roses on top of it, I liked the combo better than the two individually. lol

This week, I layered Acqua di Parma first with L'Occitane Eau de Recolte Bleue (lavender) then added C&E Rosewater and Le Couvents des Minimes Verbena.

Some fragrances I wouldn't touch, like Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan.

Agreed! Some fragrances are not to be touched...

Thanks for such an interesting answer!!! I do happen to have Allure and MJ Gardenia... Will try to layer them...

I love layering! Many lines are created with layering in mind: Donna Karan Essences, Nelli Rodi Scent Factory, Memoire Liquide, Armani Prive and Susanne Lang for example. And SAs are trained to suggest layering scents from some lines: Keiko Mecheri (Loukhoum is much better with Gourmandise on top), Jo Malone, Annick Goutal Les Orientalistes, Serge Lutens, Tom Ford Private Blends and Bond No 9 have all been presented to me with layering suggestions.

I have some scents that seem to cry out for layering. I love Lucter et Emergo but it is often seems too sweet so I'll add a touch of CdG Ouarzazate or Heeley Cardinal to make the incense pop a little more. CdG Avignon and Anayake Miyako are really wonderful together. Madini Vanille layers really well with Madini Ambre. And I know this sounds weird, but I like to add a little Creamy Pumpkin Pie oil to Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande.

Scented lotions or talcs can be useful when layering. Perlier Dark Chocolate body cream and i Profumi di Firenze Spezie, Santa Maria Novella Rose Talc and Miller et Bertaux Bois de Gaiac et Poire, Lush Silky Underwear Talc and Guerlain Vetiver pour Elle, Iris Pallida and SMN Iris talc, and Strange Invisible Perfumes Lavender Vetiver body lotion under Tom Ford Grey Vetiver are favorite combinations.

I've learned it's best to experiment just before I plan to shower. Yesterday I stupidly tried layering Caron Poivre with Susanne Lang Black Orchid ~ yech!!

Here's a few links to some older threads on this subject:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=cocoon
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ght=socalwoman
    Last edited by socalwoman; 12th October 2009 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks so much!!!! Now I'll have to experiment with my own scents to see what works for me...

I use scented soaps, talcs and body creams, too, like socalwoman suggested.

Tonight I have on AG Rose Absolue, Chanel No 19 EDP and Creed Epicea... red roses and green things.

Hi everyone.

This is my first post =)

I love layering Thierry Mugler Alien on top of Aquolina pink Sugar when the later turn into the middlenotes/drydown. I find this to be an extremely intoxicating combination of scents. It work great on me.

Last edited by leyla; 28th November 2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Very bad spelling :-/

Default Your best layering combos

I am fairly timid about layering fragrances, but realize this needs to be explored.

So what are your favorite layering combos? Your best discoveries?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Your best layering combos

I usually avoid layering. However, one quiet saturday morning, while auditing my collection, i mixed one part SMN Aqua di Cuba with one and a half of my wife's SL Un Bois Vanille and got....... a radical very long lasting Tobacco Vanille et Bois. I really wish i didn't because the result was so so good that it could lead to many more Frankenstein-type experiments :-)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I am not a fan of layering....fut i`ve found two great combinations:

Both Annick Goutals: Myrrhe Ardente with Duel....The result is Duel on steroids....The green mate+iris aspect of Duel is amplified gaining more depth and lasting abilities....and the harshness of MA is softened and rounded.

anOther one is A*Men with Guerlain Vetiver.....Same effect as the aforementioned....The result is something with the same vibe as Hermessence Vetiver Tonka.

cheers

Pablo

Secret of Immortality is pretty good.
    And another good creed winter mix is 1 part BdP, 1.5part GIT, 1 part OV.
    I have been toying the idea of some epicea and orange spice mixes, so if anyone has those, lemme know.
    The only creed which I find doesn't layer well at all is SMW.
    With almost any other scent, SMW reveals it's feminine synthetic heart, which is well guarded when SMW is worn by itself.

But my personal favorite of all my layerings:
    Hermes combo:
    1 part TdH, 1 part CdOV, 2 parts EdOV

All the iso-E in Terre lift and throw the D'Oranges pretty well.

Also, please anyone share if you have successful layerings/blends of Royal Scottish Lavender or Vintage Tabarome.

The one layering success I had was Tam Dao with Creed Millesime Imperial. It seemed to revitalize the potency of some of the notes in MI that have lost their sparkle since I bought the bottle. It was pleasant surprise. Would consider trying similarly with another sandalwood and MI as well.

wear Creed Himalaya, let it rest of 10 minutes and then wear Lalique Encre Noir. smells amazing.
    Last edited by jenson; 15th December 2009 at 08:08 PM.

I layer Balafre with Genghis Khan

Bulgari PH + Eau Sauvage. Equal sprays of each. It is really incredible: a beautiful, citrus, summer musk.

Dior Homme + Guerlain Vetiver

Dior Homme + Quorum
    . I find this one works best when Quorum is applied first and worn throughout the day, then apply one or two shots of DH to the chest. A smokier, more butch DH.

Black Aoud + A*Men. I've only tried this once, and it was more or a SotD/SotE wearing, if that makes any sense, but it worked out nicely. One shot of each is enough. I think I'll call it A*Oud. (Sounds a little more marketable than Black*Men )

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Your best layering combos

Encre Noire and Ambre Gris

Encre Noire and Tumulte Pour Homme

Chamade edp and Chamade edt

Samsara and Ambre Gris

Mitsouko EDP and Mitsouko EDT with Misouko Body Creame

Shalimar EDP and Shalimar Body Lotion

Caron's Parfum Sacre and Tumulte Pour Homme

Le Parfum by Barbara Bui layered on top of Eucerin unscented body lotion

Arpege Pour Home with Hermes Hiris layered on top Eucerin unscented body lotion

Dependent

Great thread, scentsitivity. I recall reading a post some months back, where a member (wish I remembered who so I can thank him/her) suggested layering Bois Farine and Vanilia (both from L'Artisan), and so I did. I would say that they actually go pretty well together. I do have very little experiences with layering, but this one I considered a success. I'll try to wear them again soon to provide some details.

Another one that went quite well was Gucci Pour Homme II with Ambre Sultan (thanks to Chocolateguy who suggested) - Smoked Tea and Amber. It smelled a little weird to me at first, but after experimenting a little with the proportions, I settled with 2 GPHII to 1 AS. The GPHII as predicted by chocolateguy actually helped subdue some of that sweetness from Ambre Sultan that sometimes gets a little stuffy for me. I still prefer to wear those separately, but I would consider this layer one of the better ones I've tried.

I found layering Homage with its rose floral notes with Bois Du Portugal with its woody notes creates a great fragrance that has the best of both worlds. And makes Homage more of a masculine fragrance to be worn out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Mitsouko EDP and Mitsouko EDT with Misouko Body Creame

Shalimar EDP and Shalimar Body Lotion

Le Parfum by Barbara Bui layered on top of Eucerin unscented body lotion

Arpege Pour Home with Hermes Hiris layered on top Eucerin unscented body lotion
    If we count body oils and simple body attars, i have pretty much favorites for every scent i wear. I will share one:

SA very pink-smelling Rose/Sandalwood body oil attar with Paul Smith Story

Blog Entries

Question Re: Your best layering combos

DULLAH; That sound like a great combination. Where did you get the Rose/Sandalwood oil attar, if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    If we count body oils and simple body attars, i have pretty much favorites for every scent i wear. I will share one:

SA very pink-smelling Rose/Sandalwood body oil attar with Paul Smith Story

Accidentally layering Cedre and Daim Blond created a deep dark leather that was amazing.
    Sarassins and Annick Goutal Vetyver is also a very succesful combination.

I once layered GIT and Azzaro Ph, it was phenomenal. I'm sure it was the Ambergris

Original Aoud and Avignon are nice together. Thats the extent of my layering experiments.

Lapidus Pour Homme (1 spritz) + Bijan Men (2 spritzes) = Balenciaga Pour Homme

I am not kidding here. Try it.

One of my favorites is layering Bois du Portugal, then two sprays of Joop!, then a healthy serving of Brut on the top. By far my best compliment getter.

I love layering Jo Malones Grapefruit with Bond 9 Eau De New York, its a citrus , fresh, over the top " you will notice me scent"

And I also love to layer Santa Maria Novella Gold Musk with SMN signature cologne

Most creeds and bonds layer well
    Encre + Le labo rose 31 is nice
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I once layered Duro and MKK and that was a nice combo.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Most creeds and bonds layer well
    Interesting. Do you by any chance know if Gramercy Park layers well with anything. Sorry, I only have one Bond at the moment, but do have a few Creeds. And I am really curious about how their scents would layer. If I could trouble you to make a brief list, I'd be extremely grateful. Many thanks.

Lately, I discovered that YSL Rive Gauche and Ungaro III go very well together.

I don't wear layers per se, but was messing around once and found that Encre Noire and CdG Kyoto blend well together. Kyoto brought the depth I sometimes feel Encre lacks.

Tom Ford Italian Cypress as a base and TF Amber Absolute on top

For a date one time, I layered Black Afgano and Guerlain L'Instant Extreme. I got more than a goodnight kiss..

This week, I have been playing with TF Bois Marocain and Costume National Scent Intense and finally got the proportion right (2 to 1).

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    DULLAH; That sound like a great combination. Where did you get the Rose/Sandalwood oil attar, if I may ask?
    I make it myself. It's about 75/25 Turkish Rose absolute with Australian Sandalwood oil. The pink, not-too-sharp Rose and the smooth/spicy sandalwood is just what Paul smith Story needs to smell natural. It's amazing how one or two very good naturals can make a synthetic green heart accord seem much more natural.

I originally got he idea from wearing paul smith story on top of spots which a week prior had been saturated with Colonia, and i do mean SATURATED. SO all that was left of the AdP Colonia was the tonka and rose, and with paul smith story it smelled perfect.

Another one I will tell:

Nearly everytime i wear MI, which by itself i find a little too sweet, i use a 80/10/10 body rub of citronellol/citral/Australian Sandalwood oil. Citronellol is a sour lemont scent which lasts ALL DAY literally. Citral smells exactly like lemon drops, so I use a little of that. And the Australian Sandalwood oil is just almost always suitable as a light woody scent under all else. I like it better than Mysore tbh. Alpha santalols are more to my liking than beta.

Oh btw, these percentages are of the smelly ingredients. They constitute like 60% of the mixture, The rest is mostly jojoba.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 16th December 2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: don't want amateurs flaming their skin applying str8 citronellol/etc.

I'm not a fan of layering, and I really don't like using a fragrance in conjunction with its ancillary body products, because it can be overkill. I remember when I bought the whole M7 range and would use everything together-- it would just clear out a room and I got the message.

Strangely though, I've been using just the M7 shower gel before leaving the house (it's strong enough on its own) and then dabbing just a TOUCH of M7 Fresh from a vial onto my neck and wrist--just the slightest tad, and I find that this combo of the original M7 shower gel and M7 Fresh EDT is a really good fit-- as long as you go light.

In terms of mixing scents, I don't do it much, but I was intrigued once by an old thread about combinations of different Creeds-- One of the things I mixed-- I think it was Millesime Imperial and Tabarome Millesime--was actually really nice.

I think layering was created a marketing ploy. I'm sure it's fun to experiment, but... seems rather unlikely that people would come up with something THAT much better on accident. Wait a minute... I haven't been to the local mall to sniff any new releases lately.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Favorites so far, and pardon me for sounding juvenile.

Sexy like a chocolae straberry- 1 part a*men 1 part Paco rabanne Black XS
    Zombie- 1 Part Kurous 2 parts polo explorer

I hardly ever experiment with layering, but one combo I do like is Guerlain's Nahema with YSL's M7, in equal proportions.

I tend to do a lot of layering with Encre Noire (and I see I'm not alone). It just seems to last forever and imparts a great dark vetiver base to whatever else I put over it.

EN + Arpege edp (pour femme) = great jasmine and sandalwood vetiver
    EN + Cabaret de Gres = great vetiver-rose
    EN + M7 = great vetiver, amber, oud
    EN + 3eme Homme = smokey vetiver and flowers
    EN + Shalimar edc = dark vanilla and vetiver

etc... etc.

I am also currently enamored with Mitsouko edp over Gucci PH for adding an incense note to the chypre queen for the winter.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Anyone ever tried Patchouli 24 with CdG's Ouarzazate ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    Bulgari PH + Eau Sauvage. Equal sprays of each. It is really incredible: a beautiful, citrus, summer musk.
    I can imagine that would be nice! I blend a couple shots of Eau Sauvage with a tiny bit of patchouli fragrance oil for darkness/depth/earthiness and a bit of Kiehl's Original Musk Oil to amplify and round out the bottom. Love it! Gotta go easy on the patchouli though.

Sometimes I alter this combo by using one spray Eau Sauvage and two shots Armani Emporio He, to get a nice lemon/orange blend, adding the patchouli and musk oil! That works nicely too. Have also substituted Creed Bois de Cedrat in place of the Eau Sauvage.

I could never find a really good fragrance with pronounced clove, so I got some clove fragrance oil--layer a few drops of that onto an appropriate fragrance, and I like that too. Only drawback of some fragrance oil is a slight chemical/synthetic smell, but it's still worth it.

By the way, I usually layer on different areas of the chest to avoid mixing the juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicemeister View Post
    I could never find a really good fragrance with pronounced clove...
    You should definitely check out MPG Secret Melange and Caron's L'Anarchiste, two amazing clove-prominent scents!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Layering Czech & Speake No. 88 with Puig Sybaris works quite nice to me.

1 part Creed Millesime Imperial + 1/4 part Creed Virgin Island Water.... truly amazing stuff

The only two i will wear outside the house:
    Creed Bois de Cedrat/Bois de Santal
    Amouage Homage/Tom Ford Oud Wood

a*men and grey flannel = chocolate with berries!

Lately I discovered that smaller quantities of floral or gourmand male frags (almost no limitation, I felt free to improvise with almost any designer or niche frag belonging to these categories) mingles very well with Knize Ten. While the leathery, almost earthy notes of Knize add these rather hyper-modern and experimental frags the edge and virility they need (and may even lack), the gourmand and floral notes of the latter mingle very well with the powdery, softer, more subtle side of Knize, so the results of this mutually advantageous exchange may be divine.

I occasionally add a couple of sprays of Lost March Din Dan on top of Carthusia Mediterraneo in the Summer to add more lemon to the fragrance. Both are nice on their own though and layering just means your bottles will not last as long.

A crazy-good one I found by chance today: Guerlain's Habit Rouge. . . just when it's drying down, maybe two or three hours into it, overlay a thin sheen of Creed's Chevrefeuille Original. This is really interesting. The anise-heavy Creed complements the citrus-civet accord of HR in an amazing and unexpected way. It brings the HR back to life in half a second, and you can go on enjoying the playful combo for hours longer. The HR brings down the licorice just a pinch, and the CO leavens the potentially abrasive citrus tang of HR. They wrestle for dominance for quite some time. This is probably not something you want to wear to the office, but for a quirky, fun fragrance experience/experiment, try it. Probably best in chilly weather. Altogether arty and arresting. Interested to know if this worked for anyone else.

Also, re Dullah's post above, I found this one last night: Two Creeds, Royal Scottish Lavender with Chevrefeuille Original. I started with RSL, and about an hour into it I layered in a thin spray of CO. Worked rather nicely.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 8th January 2010 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Anyone ever tried Patchouli 24 with CdG's Ouarzazate ?
    I tried this combination out yesterday based on your mention here. I thought it worked pretty well.

I adjusted the dosing a couple of times but wasn't really able to achieve a fusion - I was always either sensing one or the other as predominant. In the long run, Patchouli 24 lasts a lot longer on me than Ouarzazate.

Both of these strike me as good candidates for layering with other scents since they're both relatively legible, providing a smoky or peppery aspect, respectively.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Captcrunch View Post
    1 part Creed Millesime Imperial + 1/4 part Creed Virgin Island Water.... truly amazing stuff
    I n t e r e s t i n g. I will try it soon. Thanks for sharing.

Avignon is the king of layering.
    So this is a list of things that I have found layer well with it:
    Feminite du Bois
    Vetiver
    Timbuktu

And also, No.19 doused with abandon over a spray or two of timbuktu is nice in the summer
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

agar aura indian spice pure oud with duro....heaven!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916