Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Layering Frags

Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Accidently layering a good combo

Egoiste + AdP Colonia

Softens the rough edges that Egoiste has, but at the same time emphasizes what I consider the highlights of both fragrances - roses! Yes, that initial punch that Egoiste packs is undoubtedly part of its appeal, but sometimes you feel it is a bit too strong.

How did I come across this combination? Well, they were the only two bottles that I had with me for a whole year in Jordan (yeah, that was really tragic... of course, they are excellent scents but I was pining for the rest of my collection. Hadn't figured perfumes would be so expensive to restock upon until I got there.)

Thanks Everyone, I have some of these frag you just mentioned. I will accidently layer these too

Wrote this thread last year

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...light=layering

Mine was D&G By and Burberry London
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

A tiny bit of Yatagan covered with Guerlain vetiver is a nice combination I am enjoying today.

Body Kouros and Czech & Speake Cuba of all things. Don't know why, but it works.
    BK also works with No. 88 but I like the Cuba combo better.

And btw Ken_Russel: I love Yves Rocher Eau de Cedre Bleue. I often wonder how it would mix with M7. Woohoo! Another combo to try!

Hey Tough cool, Great thread. Enjoyed it, now you know how I felt

Default Re: What are your favourite perfume combinations?

I tested to overlay 'Rose Muskissime' over Piguet''s 'Bandit'. This is heavenly.
    Last edited by Pola N.; 14th October 2009 at 10:51 AM.

I love adding a little Lancome Magie Noire to other perfumes, because it comes out almost all incense on my skin.

Lately, I've used Magie Noire with Marc Jacob's Amber splash, which becomes all smoke and amber. So lovely! And then I layered Magie Noire with Estee Lauder's Sensuous, which I love on its own but always thought the sweetness of its honeyed woods needed a little smoke. So together, they're quite delicious.

Jo Malone creates her scents for layering and has a fragrance combining menu on her webpage with different suggestions for each, if you're interested. And I agree about wearing one during the day and another later on, I do that a lot.

I often pick up on a note in a fragrance that I want to accentuate and layer with that or use complimentary notes. For instance, the notes in Allure are Italian Citron, Bergamot, Mandarin, Passion Fruit, May Rose, Honeysuckle, Magnolia, Jasmine, Water Lily, Vetiver, Bourbon Vanilla.

You might try TDC Divine Bergamot, Eau de Rochas, Keiko Mecheri Passiflore, Guerlain Vetiver Pour Elle, Annick Goutal Le Chevrefeuille (honeysuckle) or Eau de Italie Magnolia Roma. Chanel Gardenia smells more like jasmine. Or you could try a vanilla scent. Lots to choose from there.

I also use bath and body products in a complimentary note. Perlier and Elariia make some nice products, you can see them on hsn.com (good deals Italian Bath and Body) or their individual websites. Elariia Rosa di Maggio with may roses might be pretty with it.

Accidents happen, too. A few months ago I put Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere on and accidentally sprayed Lancome Magnifique with roses on top of it, I liked the combo better than the two individually. lol

This week, I layered Acqua di Parma first with L'Occitane Eau de Recolte Bleue (lavender) then added C&E Rosewater and Le Couvents des Minimes Verbena.

Some fragrances I wouldn't touch, like Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan.

Agreed! Some fragrances are not to be touched...

Thanks for such an interesting answer!!! I do happen to have Allure and MJ Gardenia... Will try to layer them...

I love layering! Many lines are created with layering in mind: Donna Karan Essences, Nelli Rodi Scent Factory, Memoire Liquide, Armani Prive and Susanne Lang for example. And SAs are trained to suggest layering scents from some lines: Keiko Mecheri (Loukhoum is much better with Gourmandise on top), Jo Malone, Annick Goutal Les Orientalistes, Serge Lutens, Tom Ford Private Blends and Bond No 9 have all been presented to me with layering suggestions.

I have some scents that seem to cry out for layering. I love Lucter et Emergo but it is often seems too sweet so I'll add a touch of CdG Ouarzazate or Heeley Cardinal to make the incense pop a little more. CdG Avignon and Anayake Miyako are really wonderful together. Madini Vanille layers really well with Madini Ambre. And I know this sounds weird, but I like to add a little Creamy Pumpkin Pie oil to Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande.

Scented lotions or talcs can be useful when layering. Perlier Dark Chocolate body cream and i Profumi di Firenze Spezie, Santa Maria Novella Rose Talc and Miller et Bertaux Bois de Gaiac et Poire, Lush Silky Underwear Talc and Guerlain Vetiver pour Elle, Iris Pallida and SMN Iris talc, and Strange Invisible Perfumes Lavender Vetiver body lotion under Tom Ford Grey Vetiver are favorite combinations.

I've learned it's best to experiment just before I plan to shower. Yesterday I stupidly tried layering Caron Poivre with Susanne Lang Black Orchid ~ yech!!

Here's a few links to some older threads on this subject:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=cocoon
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ght=socalwoman
    Last edited by socalwoman; 12th October 2009 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks so much!!!! Now I'll have to experiment with my own scents to see what works for me...

I use scented soaps, talcs and body creams, too, like socalwoman suggested.

Tonight I have on AG Rose Absolue, Chanel No 19 EDP and Creed Epicea... red roses and green things.

Hi everyone.

This is my first post =)

I love layering Thierry Mugler Alien on top of Aquolina pink Sugar when the later turn into the middlenotes/drydown. I find this to be an extremely intoxicating combination of scents. It work great on me.

Last edited by leyla; 28th November 2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Very bad spelling :-/

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Your best layering combos

I am fairly timid about layering fragrances, but realize this needs to be explored.

So what are your favorite layering combos? Your best discoveries?
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Your best layering combos

I usually avoid layering. However, one quiet saturday morning, while auditing my collection, i mixed one part SMN Aqua di Cuba with one and a half of my wife's SL Un Bois Vanille and got....... a radical very long lasting Tobacco Vanille et Bois. I really wish i didn't because the result was so so good that it could lead to many more Frankenstein-type experiments :-)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I am not a fan of layering....fut i`ve found two great combinations:

Both Annick Goutals: Myrrhe Ardente with Duel....The result is Duel on steroids....The green mate+iris aspect of Duel is amplified gaining more depth and lasting abilities....and the harshness of MA is softened and rounded.

anOther one is A*Men with Guerlain Vetiver.....Same effect as the aforementioned....The result is something with the same vibe as Hermessence Vetiver Tonka.

cheers

Pablo

Secret of Immortality is pretty good.
    And another good creed winter mix is 1 part BdP, 1.5part GIT, 1 part OV.
    I have been toying the idea of some epicea and orange spice mixes, so if anyone has those, lemme know.
    The only creed which I find doesn't layer well at all is SMW.
    With almost any other scent, SMW reveals it's feminine synthetic heart, which is well guarded when SMW is worn by itself.

But my personal favorite of all my layerings:
    Hermes combo:
    1 part TdH, 1 part CdOV, 2 parts EdOV

All the iso-E in Terre lift and throw the D'Oranges pretty well.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Also, please anyone share if you have successful layerings/blends of Royal Scottish Lavender or Vintage Tabarome.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The one layering success I had was Tam Dao with Creed Millesime Imperial. It seemed to revitalize the potency of some of the notes in MI that have lost their sparkle since I bought the bottle. It was pleasant surprise. Would consider trying similarly with another sandalwood and MI as well.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

wear Creed Himalaya, let it rest of 10 minutes and then wear Lalique Encre Noir. smells amazing.
    Last edited by jenson; 15th December 2009 at 08:08 PM.

I layer Balafre with Genghis Khan

Bulgari PH + Eau Sauvage. Equal sprays of each. It is really incredible: a beautiful, citrus, summer musk.

Dior Homme + Guerlain Vetiver

Dior Homme + Quorum
    . I find this one works best when Quorum is applied first and worn throughout the day, then apply one or two shots of DH to the chest. A smokier, more butch DH.

Black Aoud + A*Men. I've only tried this once, and it was more or a SotD/SotE wearing, if that makes any sense, but it worked out nicely. One shot of each is enough. I think I'll call it A*Oud. (Sounds a little more marketable than Black*Men )

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Your best layering combos

Encre Noire and Ambre Gris

Encre Noire and Tumulte Pour Homme

Chamade edp and Chamade edt

Samsara and Ambre Gris

Mitsouko EDP and Mitsouko EDT with Misouko Body Creame

Shalimar EDP and Shalimar Body Lotion

Caron's Parfum Sacre and Tumulte Pour Homme

Le Parfum by Barbara Bui layered on top of Eucerin unscented body lotion

Arpege Pour Home with Hermes Hiris layered on top Eucerin unscented body lotion

Dependent

Great thread, scentsitivity. I recall reading a post some months back, where a member (wish I remembered who so I can thank him/her) suggested layering Bois Farine and Vanilia (both from L'Artisan), and so I did. I would say that they actually go pretty well together. I do have very little experiences with layering, but this one I considered a success. I'll try to wear them again soon to provide some details.

Another one that went quite well was Gucci Pour Homme II with Ambre Sultan (thanks to Chocolateguy who suggested) - Smoked Tea and Amber. It smelled a little weird to me at first, but after experimenting a little with the proportions, I settled with 2 GPHII to 1 AS. The GPHII as predicted by chocolateguy actually helped subdue some of that sweetness from Ambre Sultan that sometimes gets a little stuffy for me. I still prefer to wear those separately, but I would consider this layer one of the better ones I've tried.

I found layering Homage with its rose floral notes with Bois Du Portugal with its woody notes creates a great fragrance that has the best of both worlds. And makes Homage more of a masculine fragrance to be worn out and about.
    Currently wearing: Balafre by Lancôme

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Mitsouko EDP and Mitsouko EDT with Misouko Body Creame

Shalimar EDP and Shalimar Body Lotion

Le Parfum by Barbara Bui layered on top of Eucerin unscented body lotion

Arpege Pour Home with Hermes Hiris layered on top Eucerin unscented body lotion
    If we count body oils and simple body attars, i have pretty much favorites for every scent i wear. I will share one:

SA very pink-smelling Rose/Sandalwood body oil attar with Paul Smith Story

Blog Entries

Question Re: Your best layering combos

DULLAH; That sound like a great combination. Where did you get the Rose/Sandalwood oil attar, if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    If we count body oils and simple body attars, i have pretty much favorites for every scent i wear. I will share one:

SA very pink-smelling Rose/Sandalwood body oil attar with Paul Smith Story

Accidentally layering Cedre and Daim Blond created a deep dark leather that was amazing.
    Sarassins and Annick Goutal Vetyver is also a very succesful combination.

I once layered GIT and Azzaro Ph, it was phenomenal. I'm sure it was the Ambergris