Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Layering Frags

Default Re: Which fragrances do you layer together?

My partner is a layering fiend! Today was Quorum aftershave with Lomani. Nice! In fact he is keen on Quorum aftershave as a layering base, he has also worn this with David Beckham Intimately for Him to great effect. He also likes to use CK one as a base for layering : CK one and CK euphoria. Did I mention he loves layering? Lol

I was wearing Sycomore and put on some Suave Advanced Therapy Body Lotion, and somehow the light floral scent of the Suave wiggled right into the Sycomore and it just worked out crazy good.

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    I dont like layering - if you buy a scent its for its own scent. Why muddy it up with another one?
    Exactly.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I once read a review in the directory, where a lady wrote, that she enjoyed
    layering Kouros with Shalimar.
    Sounded too bizarre to be good, so, of course, I had to try it. IT WORKS!!!

I dont like layering - if you buy a scent its for its own scent. Why muddy it up with another one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Exactly.
    Because it's great fun!

Layering perfumes is like layering different cuisines.

Would you layer pasta with pad Thai?

It may work once in a blue moon. Majority of the time they'll clash.

for swap/sale:

I don't layer...I think a scent should be able to stand on it's own

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Would you layer pasta with pad Thai?
    No! But I do eat heavily salted McFries dipped in vanilla milkshake!

Sur la Plage

None.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Layering perfumes is like layering different cuisines. Would you layer pasta with pad Thai? It may work once in a blue moon. Majority of the time they'll clash.
    Cooking to me is all about finding ingredients that compliment each other. While pasta and pad Thai may not work, there are thousands of combinations that do. Layering perfume is the same kind of idea to me, if you know what you're doing it can be quite fun to come up with something new and unique, if you don't know what you're doing it can be a disaster.

I've been layering MI with Aventus a lot lately and I love it! Also I quite like Tobacco Vanille with Tuscan Leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    No! But I do eat heavily salted McFries dipped in vanilla milkshake!
    Lol you're on top of Darwin's list.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Cooking to me is all about finding ingredients that compliment each other. While pasta and pad Thai may not work, there are thousands of combinations that do. Layering perfume is the same kind of idea to me, if you know what you're doing it can be quite fun to come up with something new and unique, if you don't know what you're doing it can be a disaster.

I've been layering MI with Aventus a lot lately and I love it! Also I quite like Tobacco Vanille with Tuscan Leather.
    Yes sometimes it works.

Good bases for Most layering concoctions are Sprirituesse Double Vanille or L'Artisan's Amber.

for swap/sale:

Lol you're on top of Darwin's list.
    LOOOL! Yeah, well ...

Blog Entries

I don't really practice layering, but have tried it using perfumes of the same name: Terre D'Hermes EDT and EDP (sample).

Quote Originally Posted by Dog127 View Post
    I don't layer...I think a scent should be able to stand on it's own
    Agreed.

Don't layer either.

La Nuit with Rochas Man

Blog Entries

Creed's Virgin Island Water and Jo Malone's Lime, Basil and Mandarin.

Being that Jo Malone's fragrances are designed to be layered with one another; the combination of Vetyver layered with their Amber and Lavender is a fresh heavenly scent. It reminds me a bit of the dry down of Aramis Tuscany per Uomo and also shares some similarities to Tom Fords Italian Cypress.

Give it a whirl...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fcasimiro View Post
    Being that Jo Malone's fragrances are designed to be layered with one another; the combination of Vetyver layered with their Amber and Lavender is a fresh heavenly scent. It reminds me a bit of the dry down of Aramis Tuscany per Uomo and also shares some similarities to Tom Fords Italian Cypress.

Give it a whirl...
    That does sound like a good combination!

I often layer Acqu Di Gio and Cartier Roadster, NICE!.

nothing on purpose
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Banned
    Blog Entries

I've had the rare occasion to add a touch of Grey Flannel to Silences by Jacomo. Rarely, very rarely.

I tend to agree. Basically don't like the idea to try any combinations, or mix anything. But i have layered some vintage and current/newer version of some scent successfully. The result was good at least with the vintage Balafre and Balafre of 2000's (the latter supposed to be the same formulation as the vintage, but is not.)
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

double post
    Last edited by df91; 24th February 2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: double post
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I like to layer things on top of Muscs Koublai Khan. It's kind of like a big, brown curtain just waiting for something to put on a show in front of it. It's especially good as a backdrop to fragrances that I find a little challenging to my masculinity. I even made a spray vial of MKK and Aromatics Elixir Parfumeur's Reserve.

Recently, I have also been putting a bit of JAR Bed of Roses on top of Ferme tes Yeux. This is mainly because I can't quite handle Ferme tes Yeux on its own yet. It's like having training wheels.

For a Zola Jesus show, I layered Bolt of Lightning on top of Bond No. 9 Swarovski Crystal Harrods Oud Limited Edition Celebrity Sparklepony. That was awesome and mind-bending. Much more so than Zola Jesus.

I somewhat regretted layering Heeley Figuier over L'Eau d'Hiver. Layering only works for me if the frags occupy two very different ends of the spectrum; in this case, there was not enough separation, and I felt L'Eau d'Hiver was too obscured behind the lounder scent.

Default Re: Layering successes

I didn't want to start another layering thread...
    so the main idea for the post is "DON'T LIKE THE SCENT? - TIME FOR LAYERING!"

The small sample of CREED Tabarome Millesime left me completely unimpressed
    (no tobacco noticed and I mean it, as I'm pipe and cigars smoker for about a decade),
    so not wanting to toss it, I decided layering.

I thought of some consistent and linear scent with a good character, to add a twist to it.
    After looking at my wardrobe CDG Wonderwood came to mind quickly.

The technique popped out of my head just as fast, and I put Wonderwood as I usually wear scents (couple o'sprays on the front, just below the neck and one dab behind each ear). New Tabarome went onto what I take to be my side-whiskers.

The whole combo turned out to be quite nice... like ginger icing on a wooden cake.
    Interesting experience.

Regards, Odor.

Springtime has sprung in the city by the lake: 5 parts most recent version of Green Water to 1 part vintage Polo.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I don't layer but it's always interesting to hear what others have chosen to put together.
    + 1

Recently sprayed some Jacomo de Jacomo on He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood, and the result was pure bliss. Smelled like smoldering cedar chips, black pepper, and a "mineral" smell.

Thanks for your contributions to this thread, all.

I usually layer my cheapies and try to find decent combinations.
    2 sprays corduroy by zirh and 1 spray cuba red. It gives the cuba red a much needed sweetness but still retains its spiciness.
    2 sprays deaville by michael germaine and 1 spray gap 'the original' - i feel that 'the orignal' is much too harsh and rough so the deauville balances it out with a smooth tobacco base.

try them if you can!
    Top 5 in rotation: Dior Homme, Pure Malt, Egoiste, Gucci Envy, Platinum Egoiste

Happiness is perfume, you can't pour it on somebody else without getting a few drops on yourself.
    -James Van Der Zee

Looking for large CAPS for M7, boss bottled #6, Bvlgari PH and YSL La Nuit

La Nuit with Rochas Man

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    Timbuktu is good for layering with sweeter, juicier fragrances, as I find it very dry and bitter.

And, while we're on the subject of layering - Tom Ford's Private Collection. I can't think of any two fragrances out there that layer better with each other than Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille. I'm not a layering guy at all, but I have a hard time wearing those two separately. Neroli Portofino also smells awesome with Azure Lime on top - it helps to boost the longevity of the lime a bit... even though the lime smells synthetic.
    Oh man! Im going to try this tonight. I can already imagine it. Today I layered Tuscan Leather with AdP Colonia. The bergamot/ lime notes over the leather are AMAZING!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...CDG Wonderwood layered with Guerlain Herba Fresca is AWESOME!!!

I love to layer Chanel pour Monsieur and rosissimo from parfums de Rosine , they seem to compliment each other beautifully

Not exactly layering, but I just ate some dark 70% chocolate, wearing Invasion Barbare. Really weird combo, the chocolate tasted better and the IB really shined (even more than usual)? You should try it .

The only thing that I tried was Lolita Lempika au Masculin and then 30 min later a few sprays of Cool Water. Not too bad.

I usually don't layer. But Poivre Samarcande + Ambre Narguil (just one shot) is GREAT!

Hmm, I never seem to be able to have success doing this. Even the TV/Tuscan Leather combo didn't work for me.

Blog Entries

I've only done this with Terre D'Hermes EDT and Parfum.

I didn't layer but mixed Czech&Speake: Rose, Honor de Prs: Nu Green and Elizabeth Arden: Iced Green Tea with the rose taking up half as much as the other too in quantity! Iced Green Tea could be replaced with something even more minty like GPM too be even more refreshing. WORKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...CDG Wonderwood layered with Guerlain Herba Fresca is AWESOME!!!
    Love that idea! I always tried layering something i didn't consider fresh enough with CdG Calamus to "leaf" things up but it doesn't work... Does anyone know a good leaf smelling fragrance?

Get this. Tobacco Vanille and Curve Soul. Got a compliment in the checkout line.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

A*Men and Pure Malt came out interesting in a layer. Not great but some might like it, but it definitely mixed some of the vibes from both perfumes into one. Boozy and very potent, though lost a lot of the sweetness in the mix. I don't know why.

Pure Virgin Island Malt
    Current obsession...Invasion Barbare

I haven't tried this one, but I have witnessed its effect. There is a really nice guy, Miguel, that works at Aedes who layers Wonderwood, Escentric 01, and Molecule 01. I witnessed a customer walk into the store and request bottles for this magic combination and it turned out that the two of them had met because the customer had smelled Miguel wearing the combo in a restaurant and had gone berserk over it. Apparently this happens to Miguel a lot. He might be on to something.

Default Layering Frags

Some people dont like doing it but I love to. What are your favs?

Mine are:

Ambre Precieux + Terre d'Hermes

Padparadscha + Yatagan

L'instant de Guerlain + Dehnul Oud pure oil

Cuir de Lancome + Dehnul Oud/pure agar oil

Pure Agar Oil + Mukallath by Al Harmain

Default Re: Layering Frags

I've only tried one and enjoy it a lot:
    Musc Ravageur + Geranium pour Monsieur (shouldn't work, but it does!)
    Apparently Joop + Jubilation XXV is supposed to be good as well.

Basenotes Member

I've only tried one and love it because it somehow makes for a "greener" flower:
    Comme des Garcons Calamus + Comme des Garcons Lily
    Current Top 5:
    CdG Odeur 71
    Helmut Lang Cuiron
    CdG Skai
    CB I Hate Perfume To See a Flower
    CdG Eau de Parfum (melted bottle)

today i layered Ralph Lauren Blue

with

Bronley Lemon and Neroli

)

Blog Entries

I've only done Terre D'Hermes EDT + Parfum.

I try layering all the time. I have had some successes and some misses. I love Herba Fresca layered with CDG Wonderwood, and Bond no 9 New Haarlem layered with Bond no 9 I Love New York For All. Good stuff I tell ya.

Blog Entries

I dont see why you would layer unless you are wearing fragrances that everyone else is wearing and you want to smell different. But I dont think basenoters have that problem
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Interesting combinations. But none of you are layering - you are all mixing fragrances.

Layering is when you add the same scent in different forms/layers - eg EDT/Underarm deorodrant/moisturiser/aftershave/shower gel

Which raises the interesting question of what layering with different scents would be like
    e.g Ambre Precieux EDT + Terre d'Hermes shower gel (applied so that gets stuck in your pores, rather than washed off)

Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2000 View Post
    I dont see why you would layer unless you are wearing fragrances that everyone else is wearing and you want to smell different. But I dont think basenoters have that problem
    I just think it's cool to see what you can come up with. And, besides, if you have about 15 bottles like me, by layering (mixing) then you've got a whole lot more.

well..i layered because the Ralph Lauren blue too old and dirty for my skin, it was a blind purchase- not completely bad ..it just needed a lift...and the sweetness of the lemon and neroli worked well as an experiment ..better than never wearing the blue again.

Any time I tried doing it the result on my skin was less than pleasant.

Actually I do more mixing of scents than I realised.

Quite often I change scents at the end of the day (or during the day sometimes) and I don't change my clothes, I just spray over the top of the old scent. What I'm doing is mixing the basenotes of the old scent in with the new scent.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Fav mixes for me are (Designers only, don't mix niche yet):

Clubbing: YSL Kouros and JPG Le Male 1:1
    Clubbing: Givenchy Pi and Lolita Lempicka au Masculine 1:1
    Date/Night Out: Dior Homme Intense and L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme 2:1
    Date/Night Out: Mugler Pure Malt and Boucheron Jaipur Homme EDP 1:1
    Office: Dior Fahrenheit Absolute and Bvlgari Pour Homme 1:1
    Office: YSL Rive Gauche & Santos de Cartier & Lagerfeld Classic 1:1:1
    Tobacco: L'Occitane Eau de Baux and Bogart Pour Homme 1:1
    Tobacco: Versace Man and Bogart Pour Homme 2:1
    Fresh Green: CH 212 and Mugler Cologne 1:1
    Heavy Mint: Armani Code Sport and Jil Sander For Men 1:1
    Fresh Mint: Roadster de Cartier and Roadster Sport de Cartier 1:1
    Classic Style: Dior Homme and L'Instant de Guerlain EDT 1:1
    Fresh Lavender: L'Occitane Eau Pour Homme and JPG Le Male 2:1
    Midnight in Europe: Bvlagri Black and VC&A Midnight in Paris EDP 1:1
    Stylish & Fresh: Terre D'Herms PP and Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme 1:1
    Cosy and Calm: Gucci Pour Homme 2 and Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir 1:1
    The Fougre Mix: Polo Blue and Azzaro Chrome 1:1
    Gentleman Mix: Chanel Allure Homme and Lalique Pour Homme (Lion) 2:1

I could carry on for a long time..... LOL
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Actually I do more mixing of scents than I realised.

Quite often I change scents at the end of the day (or during the day sometimes) and I don't change my clothes, I just spray over the top of the old scent. What I'm doing is mixing the basenotes of the old scent in with the new scent.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    I do this all the time because I want to enjoy 2 scents a day, not just 1!

Heritage and shalimar.... Spice with your creme brle....

In fact just crazily ODed on it!!!! I might just beautifully pass out now....perfectly scented and with clean underwear!

2 parts Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts to 1 part Ed Hardy Women's Love and Luck.

Set Sail is a solid Tequila/Lime scent but all it needs is coconut. The Women's Love and Luck gives it that coconutty vibe. Smells excellent. Bond Coney Island is still better but for the price, this combo is excellent.