Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Layering Frags

Default Re: Layering successes

Quote Originally Posted by We Came As Romans View Post
    La Nuit with Rochas Man
    Whoa. Wow. Really? That's... unexpected.... and yet... I'm fascinated. It would either be repulsive or absolutely amazing. I'm wearing La Nuit tonight. I think I really like it (this is my first time wearing it), but I could see how something coffee/chocolate-ish could work with it. I think...

Default Re: Layering successes

Anat Fritz + Mandragore (Annick Goutal)

Default Re: Layering Frags

Juniper Sling layered with Metaboles (by Ys Uzac) is dreaaaamy!

Nautica Voyage and Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte go GREAT together!

Default Any Layering Technique Tips for Newbies?

I'm thinking about experimenting with layering different perfumes and I wonder if there are any tips you can give me - either about what kind of perfumes go well together [or which to avoid combining] and how to do it. I mean - Do you let the first one dry completely before putting on the second? Does it matter which one you spray first? Spray one on each wrist and combine them? Or any other tips you have for a good result?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Any Layering Technique Tips for Newbies?

I layer a few ways.

Sometimes it's different concentrations of the same scent - an EdC and an EdP or parfum. That gets you the bright opening blast of the EdC with the rich, complex, tenacious version of the P or EdP under it and going the distance. Many are designed to be worn this way, I think.

Sometimes I layer a similar scent over the drydown of another. I do this with chypres, stacking as they dry down. One day not long ago, I wore Guerlain Imperiale, then Chanel pour Monsieur later, followed by Aramis, and then Mitsouko even later.

The last way is to spike a main scent with a spray or two of something that complements it. Usually the chaser is something that skanks up the main scent or adds some depth. Either way, they should share some main notes and not have any that "clash". One that I use is a bit of Shalimar parfum layered with Habit Rouge EdT.

You can also layer very simple, linear scents that complement each other. Jo Malone has a whole range made for doing this, but you can do it with others. I recently tried Tobacco Vanille with Leather Oud and that was better than either alone, I though.

In most cases, I just spray anything in my shirt, with no regard to order or dryness. The exception would be for parfums - those should be applied the same way they usually are when not layering - dabbed or sprayed, as appropriate for the specific juice.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't layer fragrances, sorry.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I layer a few ways.

Sometimes it's different concentrations of the same scent - an EdC and an EdP or parfum. That gets you the bright opening blast of the EdC with the rich, complex, tenacious version of the P or EdP under it and going the distance. Many are designed to be worn this way, I think.

Sometimes I layer a similar scent over the drydown of another. I do this with chypres, stacking as they dry down. One day not long ago, I wore Guerlain Imperiale, then Chanel pour Monsieur later, followed by Aramis, and then Mitsouko even later.

The last way is to spike a main scent with a spray or two of something that complements it. Usually the chaser is something that skanks up the main scent or adds some depth. Either way, they should share some main notes and not have any that "clash". One that I use is a bit of Shalimar parfum layered with Habit Rouge EdT.

You can also layer very simple, linear scents that complement each other. Jo Malone has a whole range made for doing this, but you can do it with others. I recently tried Tobacco Vanille with Leather Oud and that was better than either alone, I though.

In most cases, I just spray anything in my shirt, with no regard to order or dryness. The exception would be for parfums - those should be applied the same way they usually are when not layering - dabbed or sprayed, as appropriate for the specific juice.
    Thanks for this - it's very useful. I'll let you know how it goes.

And glad to meet a fellow Guerlainista [and I guess Im a Chanelista too.]

Thanks for the topic and info. I've had the same question, but I'm not far enough along in my explorations to have asked it.

I layer them on skin.

I layer Guerlain Heritage with Shalimar, Habit Rouge with Shalimar, Cartier Declaration with lots of stuff... It's the ISP super e.....
    Hertitage and chergui.
    I'm not an entirely spicey girl ( although reports may differ....;-) ) but I find more oriental spicey vanilla ish scents easier to layer than blatantly citrus scents. Although I might spritz Terre d'Hermes or Cartier Declaration and later follow up with Goutal's Eau du Sud.
    Mostly though it seems to be Guerlain.
    Oh, and Cologne du 68 is beautiful to layer with Acqua di Parma colonia Intensa for me, more leather and a note of sharp.
    And layering different concentrations of Shalimar. I love every facet and even sleep in it!
    X

Basenotes Member

Default What's your favorite accidental layering combo?

I'm wondering if any other people have found a combination of fragrances by accident that seem to work better together than on their own. I own Bond No 9 Riverside Drive which I rarely wear because it always smells too green for my mood, and I also own Black XS which is way too fruity and syntthetic sweet.....but I was playing around one night and the two came together and I found the combo quite pleasant. The crazy sweet fruit of Black XS seemed to be nicely tempered by the basil and green herbs of Riverside Drive. Anyone else salvage fragrances that they were not happy to wear on their own?

Default Re: What's your favorite accidental layering combo?

I found that Azzaro Onyx layers quite well with Platinum Egoiste, and also Nicole Miller For men.
    Last edited by EarNoseThroat; 31st July 2012 at 10:21 AM.

not exactly layering, but I used an empty spray atomizer of Caron pour un homme (still smelling inside) and filled up with Rive gauche , smells gorgeous!
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Any layering attempt for me has been a disaster

I like Eau d'Hermes with SMN Potpourri. The SMN lends a nice spiciness to play against the Hermes' citrusy skank. They also seem to blend together rather seamlessly.

I never really layer / blend fragrances. Just once, and it worked very well actually:

Acqua di Parma Colonia + PR 1 Million (4:1)
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Decided to layer a few of my cheaper fragrances. The only one that came out good was Versace - The Dreamer and Perry Ellis Red.

MI over Original Santal
    MI over Virgin Island Water

I recently tried layering A*men with rochas man, fleur du male, and le male, separately. All of which actually smelled pretty interesting, especially the Rochas man/A*men combo.

I have had compliments on 3 separate days with Kenzo Tokyo and and an "amber al oud" oil i got on Agarscents Bazar

Layered Creed MI and Himalaya.....

Quote Originally Posted by Erok32 View Post
    I recently tried layering A*men with rochas man, fleur du male, and le male, separately. All of which actually smelled pretty interesting, especially the Rochas man/A*men combo.
    I'm about to try A*Men and Le Male...those two sound interesting together.

mihailo

I am always afraid I may get an undesired chemical reaction between fragrances. Yes, i am that anxious and paranoid. Plus it is no fun. I mean: if one doesn't like the scent on its own, why would one buy it in the first place...

By the way, Etro scents can be layered. The company encourages their fans to mix the scents. When you buy an Etro fragrance, you get a small book about layering two or three different smells.
    Last edited by mihailo; 1st August 2012 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mihailo View Post
    I am always afraid I may get an undesired chemical reaction between fragrances. Yes, i am that anxious and paranoid. Plus it is no fun.
    Jo Malone's philosophy for combining scents may be of interest to you. JM suggests wearing different fragrance on different spots of the body, eg. one on the chest and another on the nape of the neck. That way you get whiffs of fragrances throughout the day, as opposed to a big chemical mess. Also, anyone you kiss or hug will get treated to a little complex twist, so long as you choose your combination wisely.

I wore Santal 33 from a sample the other day and then later in the afternoon I sprayed GIT, they went surprisingly well.

I used to layer Tobacco Vanille with Tuscan Leather.

Are you ready for the best layering combo ever? Play Intense and The One. What?!? Why? ...I'm glad you asked.

-- Givenchy Play Intense: Smells like waffles.
    -- D&G The One: Smells like maple syrup!!!!!

I wish I was kidding.

One combination I love (and have had incredibly positive reactions to) is two parts L'Instant Extreme to one part He Wood Silver Wind Wood. First, two sprays of LIDGE, front and back of the neck. 45 minutes to an hour later, a single spritz of SWW at a fair distance right on the front of the neck. Might sound crazy, but when timed correctly the combination is nothing short of magical.

Ambre Narguile and Jazz

This gives AN a lot of oomph, making it into what I hoped it would be.

Eau d'Orange Verte and Calvin

The Calvin lasts a bit longer, and enriches the EdOV. I am also thinking about Calvin with Concentré d'Orange Verte.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Are you ready for the best layering combo ever? Play Intense and The One. What?!? Why? ...I'm glad you asked.

I wish I was kidding.
    This put a genuine smile on my face! I'm going to get a sample of The One just to try this out.

I wish I was kidding.
    This put a genuine smile on my face! I'm going to get a sample of The One just to try this out.

Blog Entries

Never tried layering frags, but one I accidently wore Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille while watching "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" and blew out all the lights in my town!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

i samples dunhill custom (spiced apple) with hugo boss orange. Works a treat.

dunhill custom is sooo underated.

I love these responses, as I find the "I never would ever think of layering" replies preposterous since that is *exactly* what perfumers do in constructing their final products.

Today I layered Rochas Moustache with Smell Bent's Mountain High, the latter of which contains super juicy cannabis, light spices, and wood. The opening was fantastic - sort of like fruity, earthy weed. After about an hour, the Moustache extinguished Mountain High, which was okay because I find Moustache absolutely divine.

Tonight I am adding Mountain High to He Wood Rocky Mountain for two reasons: 1) I expect the result to smell absolutely amazing, and 2) I can name the result "John Denver" and feel good about it.

I wish I was kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Yeah... I liked that one so much I added a few to make a complete breakfast andstarted a Menu thread

- - - Updated - - -

By the way... if you're really into layering frags, here's my suggestion: It's much easier to add a really simple scent onto one that's complex since you're less likely to create chaos. Here are two that I think are excellent for layering:

- Tattoo by Michel Germain. It's dirt cheap: $10 for 3.4oz, and (at least on my skin) it's a really simple sweet amber.

- Dolce & Gabbana Le Fou 21: BERRIES!!! This would be great for adding a bit of fruit to something like a really woody scent. Then again, I layered it with Gucci Pour Homme II and it fit right in with the tea of GphII. Honestly, if LF21 had a freakin' backbone, I'd buy a bottle... but it's missing enough masculinity to inspire me to buy it. It doesn't smell feminine either. It just smells like berries to me. I realize D&G was going for minimalism with this one, but it's toooooo minimal for me. But then again, it could be an awesome frag for layering. I may need to revisit this one in the fall.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 3rd August 2012 at 03:36 AM.

I usually layer Encre Noir beneath Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. Both are great on their own, but layering the two is golden with my chemistry. EN is like a backup singer...too much ruins it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    I'm about to try A*Men and Le Male...those two sound interesting together.
    The combo adds depth. The vanilla and mint of Le Male really compliments A*Men nicely.

Fahrenheit and M7.

Bogart Pour Homme with Michael Kors

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wink Layering Hits and Misses

I've been less than enthused by RTW perfumes lately, even the greats. Maybe it's the change of season, but a mix of two or more scents has become appealing. I still appreciate and understand the need to wear one scent all alone, but I find contrasting and complementing scent combos help me to learn more about how a given perfume is structured (a bit like mixing two songs).

I'll post various attempts and hope anyone else who indulges in that outlaw practice of layering will chime in:

Using Sunday work catch-up time as (dum dum dah!) the dreaded perfume layering playing around-time:

1. Bitchy Rose: vintage Aromatics Elixir all over walk-through light spray + L'Ombre Rose on pulse points + Corday Toujours Moi back of knees = I really liked this combo. Wafts of a very moody Oriental with a savory yet energizing presence.

2. Not so fresh Prince of Vol-Air: the fleeting Voleur de Roses + vintage L'Air du Temps bath oil = \not so sure. Too much contrast between the femme/homme.

Eyerolls for the tacky bar cocktail type names but couldn't resist. This French Elle article posted on Bois de Jasmin along with its second part is giving me some inspiration ...
    http://boisdejasmin.com/2011/03/laye...ggestions.html

Hmm, no wonder Ellena makes such sheer scents.

Default Re: Layering Hits and Misses

Great topic! I'd love to learn more.

I usually don't layer fragrances, probably because I don't know how to do it well. Because I love roses and patchouli but haven't found the "perfect" scent that unites them yet, I've found that I can layer Chanel Coromandel with a. Hermessence Rose Ikebana for a fresher effect or b. Guerlain Idylle Duet for for a more mellow result.

queen of the universe

These two are both rather one dimensional on their own, yet good together. One or the other layers well, too:
    Perfumers Workshop Tea Rose, which gets dismissed here with regularity, serves to fem up ballsy leathers like Yatagan or Weil's Kipling. Myrurgia Maderas de Oriente, an alluringly stinky sandalwood with a bewitching creamy drydown seems to add staying power to almost anything. Still, my favorite use is to combine them; this has turned into a very workable every day, around-the-house frag. a&i, you've inspired me to experiment some more, will report back (:
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

Chanel Coromandel with a. Hermessence Rose Ikebana for a fresher effect or b. Guerlain Idylle Duet for for a more mellow result.
    Sounds divine!

Perfumers Workshop Tea Rose, which gets dismissed here with regularity, serves to fem up ballsy leathers like Yatagan or Weil's Kipling. Myrurgia Maderas de Oriente, an alluringly stinky sandalwood with a bewitching creamy drydown seems to add staying power to almost anything. Still, my favorite use is to combine them; this has turned into a very workable every day, around-the-house frag. a&i, you've inspired me to experiment some more, will report back (:
    I just bought a Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose gift set of a large spray and matching lotion very cheaply on Amazon yesterday for the very purpose of layering! Can't wait to see what emerges. Will have to try Myrurgia Maderas de Oriente and finally get an FB of Yatagan. OUTLAWS.

I'm finding cologne, lotion, powder, or shower gel for one layer and then pure perfume or edt for the other keeps things more manageable, but sometimes a strong scent with a strong scent results in a lovely match.

The main draw for layering for me is bringing out one key element of a scent. One suggested in the article is
    classic men's Tabac cologne + Chanel No. 5 for aldeyhic extremity. Will try sometime soon and report back.

queen of the universe

A while back I started this thread, Naughty, Naughty Layering, inspired by layering Kouros and Shalimar, which can only be described as a long weekend in bed with someone you don't take home to mother. Other layering suggestions followed.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Serendipitously I discovered that layering of Anais Anais over Miss Dior Originale do the best impression of vintage Miss Dior. I don't layer much else so will read this thread with interest

TdH + cool water: Can't really explain it. Try it out and let me know what u think

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I've tried a little bit of layering, it's something I'd like to experiment more with. I've tried La Chasse aux Papillons over a minty-rose perfume I picked up in China. Sounds weird, and it is, but sometimes hits the spot - kind of like a garden that's growing roses and a bit of mint, that someones dumped a load of hay in. Odd.

I've also tried a touch of Floris Wedding Bouquet or an old Body Shop bergamot cologne over Ralph Lauren Ralph Rocks - these astringent scents make Ralph Rocks not quite as candy-sweet as it is.

On my mental list of things to try is Bulgari Jasmin Noir and Annick Goutal Un Matin d'orage. I'm hoping the Goutal will lift the Bulgari and make it less cloying, and that the Bulgari will tone down the greenness of the Goutal. So far I've tried it on paper and it seems to work, but I need to try it on skin.

A question: when layering, does it make a difference which perfume you apply first, or will the combination smell the same either way?

- - - Updated - - -

Oooh I feel inspired now and want to start experimenting... Thanks for starting this thread, anomie et ivoire!

Blog Entries

Jujy- that thread's great! Ooops on not finding it before posting. The search function here doesn't always work for me, scour as I might. Your Kouros + Shalimar sounds so VAVAVOOM.

Alityke - shall have to try that. Will current edt Anais Anais work? It's all I have of it, but I do find it very different from the older ones smelled elsewhere.

yellow_cello: Nice combos! I have read that putting on the heaviest scent first and waiting for that one's top notes to play out a bit works best, but it's really all very intuitive and whatever works for you, because I find layering is all about going with the idiosyncrasies of your skin type and how perfume wears on you. I am turning to layering due to having skin that destroys most fragrances and having a natural aversion to citrus top notes. La Chasse Aux Papillons and other L'Artisans seem great for layering with their fleeting quality and usually shorter note list.

Today ... continuing the layering madness, I'm in what will probably become my signature (besides Ivoire de Balmain): the above-described initial throwaway working title combo "bitchy rose," but heretofore known as Theodosia Rosa or Thea-rosa after Theda Bara. It seems more fitting for this heady vamp oriental-chypre flapper concoction. And it's surprisingly not that heavy, just complex and atmospheric. Recipe:

a walkthrough mist of vintage Clinique Aromatics Elixir perfume + crooks of arms old formula L'Ombre Rose parfum + Corday Toujours Moi behind the legs and on ankles.

- L'Ombre could be replaced with Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose for more intensity
    - Toujours Moi could be swapped out with Tabu or Habanita edt for evening or with the modern Dana Toujours Moi for more casual times.

After months of searching for a signature or an exact fit, turns out this little combo was it! And i used to be afraid of Aromatics Elixir and thought L'Ombre Rose was stuffy. I'm thankful to that Elle article and BdJ for pointing out the layerability of both. Oh and the part two has some nice ideas: http://boisdejasmin.com/2011/08/frag...ench-elle.html

Next up/soon I am interested in layering leathers with soft things.

I've had a couple of real stinkers (hardee har har!) in the layering game, so I've blocked them out, but I'll try to remember them if for no other reason than comic value or as a cautionary tale.

But here is the one that makes me swoon with pleasure every time I wear it (but it's not technically a layer because you can't put one over top the other -- you have to put them side by side because, well, they're both Serge and so they like to knock-out punch each other whenever they can):

Fumerie Turque and A La Nuit.

To. Die. For. (If you like that kind of thing.)

It's what ELdO's Jasmin et Cigarette dreamed of being. But with spices. And honey. And naughty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    Next up/soon I am interested in layering leathers with soft things.
    Ah! That reminds me! Something that should have worked but didn't because it just totally skanked me out (and I really enjoy skank -- just look at my wardrobe!!) -- Cuir Mauresque and Fleurs d'Oranger.

Um. Yeah. Somehow THAT brand of naughty didn't work on me, but I'm also one who (weirdly, I think) has trouble generally with Cuir Mauresque.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 27th August 2012 at 09:26 PM.

AetE yep both Anais Anais and Miss Dior Originale in their latest formulations = Miss Dior alike.

Dunno what happened to my other layering post. I have been known to spray Muscs Koublai Khan then over spray with vintage powerhouse Poison. Actually it's best spraying the MKK then dabbing Poison Esprit de Parfum which is maybe a little rounder and closer than Poison EdT. The MKK grounds the Poison quietens it somehow and extends it. Strange how two bombs counteract each other.

I admit I use homeopathic amounts of both but it needs no more

Blog Entries

ExtremeK- Hmm, noting to be cautious with leathers and Serges then. His do seem more workable as "split screen" instead of pile ups.

Alityke- Poison esprit de parfum + MKK? You have yourself a copycat as soon as my MKK decant arrives.

So today I tried vintage Youth Dew perfume + Chanel Coco edp. Both in small amounts. A more concentrated, deep-deep depths oriental. I found the Youth Dew deepened and tamed the Coco and Coco made Youth Dew less pungent. As Alityke said, sometimes strong + strong = counteracting strength in favor of a rounded richness.

I am further trying to perfect the signature mix, today in the same:

Aromatics Elixir, this time spritzed directly on arms once (the nozzle held far away)
    +
    the much-maligned Dana Toujours Moi cologne over top (I think mine might be from an earlier batch: it looks 80s-90s-ish: not that bad, though not half as nice as the Corday)
    +
    Ombre Rose parfum at neck and generously right on top of AE and TM.
    =
    Damascone city! And I love damascones (well the uses of them that are rosy and red-fruity, not Cool Water or anything), which are kind of the hallmark of post-70s powerhouse Orientals and Chypres, especially patch-rose scents. I currently waft of rich red wine, dirt after rain, and, my friend says, a busy florist on a goth Valentine's Day. Victorian Forget Me Nots, locks of hair, and a late-70s independent lady's disco purse. YES.
    Last edited by anomie et ivoire; 28th August 2012 at 09:03 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

I've discovered some nice layerings accidentally by sampling more than one fragrance at a time on the same arm. You can get an idea how they will blend by just applying them a few inches apart. then, if the combination doesn't work, you can still scrub one of them off.

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    So today I tried vintage Youth Dew perfume + Chanel Coco edp. Both in small amounts. A more concentrated, deep-deep depths oriental. I found the Youth Dew deepened and tamed the Coco and Coco made Youth Dew less pungent. As Alityke said, sometimes strong + strong = counteracting strength in favor of a rounded richness.

I am further trying to perfect the signature mix, today in the same:

Aromatics Elixir, this time spritzed directly on arms once (the nozzle held far away)
    +
    the much-maligned Dana Toujours Moi cologne over top (I think mine might be from an earlier batch: it looks 80s-90s-ish: not that bad, though not half as nice as the Corday)
    +
    Ombre Rose parfum at neck and generously right on top of AE and TM.
    =
    Damascone city! And I love damascones (well the uses of them that are rosy and red-fruity, not Cool Water or anything), which are kind of the hallmark of post-70s powerhouse Orientals and Chypres, especially patch-rose scents. I currently waft of rich red wine, dirt after rain, and, my friend says, a busy florist on a goth Valentine's Day. Victorian Forget Me Nots, locks of hair, and a late-70s independent lady's disco purse. YES.
    Anomie, these combinations sound absolutely fascinating! I've smelled them all individually, but I don't have samples of any of them. I'll definitely have to try the Youth Dew and Coco combination. Wow!

You know, I was thinking this morning that, although rose and patchouli are done to death, I have to think that a clean patchouli like Nombril Immense would pair pretty well with a true rose soliflore, like, perhaps Malle's Une Rose or SL's Sa Majeste La Rose. Since I'm not much of a rose gal, I don't have either of these to try, but it might be an interesting experiment....

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I just remembered another combination that worked pretty well: Carnal Flower and Santal Blanc. But Carnal Flower is so beautiful on its own that I hate to mess with it all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Anomie, these combinations sound absolutely fascinating! I've smelled them all individually, but I don't have samples of any of them. I'll definitely have to try the Youth Dew and Coco combination. Wow!...

But Carnal Flower is so beautiful on its own that I hate to mess with it all.
    I looked around to see if anyone else liked Coco and Youth Dew layered, and apparently modern Coco edp + modern Youth Dew = the old formulation of Coco. Both of mine are vintages though. It seems layering is a next-best-thing to recreate the originals of reformulated scents.

Carnal Flower is beautiful on paper to me but overwhelming on my skin, so I might have to try the Santal Blanc combo! True many perfumes need not be messed with, but when it comes to things that don't suit me on their own, the layering helps. Aromatics Elixir is an overnight favorite when it used to be a nightmare, and Youth Dew could go the same way! It's kind of like hiding medicine in food ... until the medicine starts smelling really good?

Default Layering scents + Your best combos

I'll admit that aside from with eaux I'm not a fan of layering. That said I do wholeheartedly support the idea of using an EDC as the base for your scent of the day. By the same token I can see why people would also use softer, linear scents and soliflores for the same purpose.

As it stands my no.1 layering scent is Cologne du 68 although it works well solo too. The boozy drydown is long-lasting magic, and having the ability to add Guerlianade to anything is just too cool. CDG's colognes are great for layering too although once again they also work solo and a few Roger & Gallet offerings such as Gingembre, Vetiver, and Cedrat seem just right for layering.

I've mentioned this before but Cologne du 68 and Double Vanille makes for an absolutely hedonistic experience, but it's a little on the pricey side. 68 also seems to be a smash-hit with Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, and Tonka Imperiale. Also that pancakes & maple syrup drydown on Sables (which only seems to come out on me in winter, during summer it smells like, well, sand, which is awesome) is heaven with added Guerlinade apropos of 68; though Vanille Exquise, also by Annick Goutal, works even better though it's more pricey.

CDG's, or Roger & Gallet's Vetiver colognes give Lanvin Vetiver some actual Vetiver presense, which is great because it's one of the few scents that works on my skin in the height of summer. As a matter of fact CDG + Lanvin is currently my pick of the top for vetiver in summer.

A lot of gourmand fragrances seem to become nothing-but-vanilla in the drydown which is a little dissapointing. A spritz or two of Gingembre apropos of a pocket-atomiser can add some character. At the moment the ultra-cheapie combo of Gingembre ($15 on Overstock) and Diesel Plus Plus femenine ($10 from my local drug store) is something I'm having alltogether too much fun with.

Lastly a cold weather combo that's surprisingly wearable, and an oddity for me because it doesn't involve a cologne: Joop! Homme and Diesel Plus Plus femenine. The 'milky' vibe of Diesel's juice seems to really take the edge off Joop's atomic-powered spicey-vanilla sillage-bomb. On my skin it's the olfactory equivalent of vanilla essence in a milkshake. Tasty.

Another: Pi + Cologne du 68; who doesn't like boozy vanilla?

Those are my top picks for layering scents, and some fun combos. Anyone else?

I don't layer because it takes away the original scent.

I layered Creed's Bois du Portugal with Byredo's Bal d'Afrique, and it was pretty interesting, but typically I avoid layering.
    Last edited by misterjuiceman; 2nd September 2012 at 09:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Today I had on a large amount of Gres Cabaret and several hours into drydown added old formula Organza Indecence. A spiced pie Moroccan market scent emerged. Love it!
    ____

For some more layering tips, here are some things I've found through trial and error and posted on other sites (BN doesn't seem as keen on layering as other placees, lotsa purists here). Lots of it is probably seemingly common sense:

The only way to really know with layering is to try it and not worry about it. So maybe don't use your most precious and expensive juices, but I certainly do anyway and it gives me a big giant thrill to be so decadent. I usually experiment with layers right before a shower or in downtime at home in case of disastrous results.

Some ways I guess at what might go together well:

1. The 2+ scents are in the same general scent family (oriental, floral, etc.), are soliflore to begin with (Lavender, Amber, or other single-name scents), or the scents represent complementing families (like leather with chypre or floral with oriental = floriental)

2. The 2+ scents share similar or compatible base notes--one with a stronger base and one more general. Especially if one is musky. I find musks layer best of any type of fragrance.

3. The 2+ scents combine to create a more complete perfume if one is mostly base notes and the other+ is a single lighter note perfume or oil, for instance: some Serge Lutens or CDG incense series are very "linear" and almost all base, so when combined with a traditional rose perfume or soliflore, a more complete traditional perfume emerges.

4. If you look up your favorite perfume's notes, find the most prominent then combine different perfumes that have those notes, the natural dominant character of the scent is thrown into new intensity (a bit like the "intense" versions marketed of many already).

5. Using lotion, powder, or cologne instead of perfume for one of the layers and then a perfume for the other seems to keep things less overwhelming.

Some combos:
    I'm not saying anyone else will like these, and a lot of the combining has to do with:
    1. Adding the second well after drydown
    2. Using the cologne of one (weak concentration) and the pure parfum of the other (strong but close to skin).
    When layering, I'm not that afraid of a bit of volume (being heard and noticed, not at all loud really). I also find that perfume isn't about being demure and careful when it comes to layering; it's a very deliberate and celebratory gesture to layer, all about the pleasure of the wearer and the slight uniqueness granted through combination.

Here are some combos I like
    Guerlain Shalimar Eau De Cologne + Caron Tabac Blond

Comme des Garcons Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Avignon + Pacifica Persian Rose

Dana Tabu (vintage cologne) + Jean Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose L'Original parfum = strange virgin/whore dichotomy
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan + Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles (just a dab of the pure parfum as an accent) = blinding gold
    Houbigant Quelques Fleurs (cologne vintage) + Houbigant Chantilly (vintage)= they just work together for me-- hyper-floral
    Guerlain Shalimar Eau De Cologne + Caron Narcisse Noir

I really enjoy combining Guerlain cologne lighter concentrations with heavily concentrated pulse point only Caron classics. Highly irreverent, bordering on sacrilege? Exactly: and I love it!

Here are some I think would make great layering "background" perfumes for other scents:
    Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely or any other musk
    Molinard Les Fleur anything or most other near-soliflore scents.
    nearly all of the Estee Lauders and Cliniques done as walkthrough only (there's something very archetypal about most of them).
    Oldschool Cotys, Houbigants, and Danas in general.
    gorgeous things with poor longevity (L'Artisan) + workhorse but linear things (Reminescence scents)
    Last edited by anomie et ivoire; 7th September 2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: i always typo cologne as "colgone."

Dependent

Default if layering

how do you layer and what do you layer

Default Re: if layering

I usually don't layer but, lately, I started to apply some civet or castoreum tincture to add an extra "oomph" to some fragrances listing these two notes in their composition...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here