Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Layering Frags

Default Best Layering Experiences

I've been having some decent luck in the past two weeks playing around with layering some different fragrances, so I was curious to know other members layering "finds," whether planned, expected, or unexpected.

Bond no. 9 New Haarlem is a good one to layer and I've had a lot that work well with it. Monsieur Balmain (or anything with a sharp lemon or citrus note) changes the dynamic considerably, as does something very floral like Marc Jacobs Blush (with lots of Jasmine).

The surprise today was Knize Ten and Floris Seringa. Both are dry and powdery, but the Seringa is fresh, green, and crisp and mellows out the sometimes harsh dry, leatheriness of Knize. I've layered Knize with Coriolan de Guerlain in the past as well and it has also been quite nice.

Anybody have any other strange combinations that ended up working out?
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Default Re: Best Layering Experiences

the "female fragrance" basenoters put the "male Fragrance" basenoters to shame in this department:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...light=layering

(although, some of this is scary. and brings to mind the image of Barbara Stanwyck as Stella Dallas pausing in front of the mirror before heading out to hob nob with the haves to throw on yet another fox stole and just a few more bangles...with tragic results as she ends up embarrasing her boy george look-alike daughter just horribly!)

everytime anyone even halfway mentions layering, I have to put a nod in for my very favorite combo: Dior Homme first, wait for the sharp iris burst to settle, then a couple sprays of Bulgari Black. These are both, independantly, among my all-time top frags, but I love this combo so much that i can no longer wear either alone. Incredible!

I like CB I Hate Perfume Musk on its own, but I think it's great layered with smoky scents like Kolnisch Juchten or LeLabo Patchouli

CDG Kyoto + Gucci Envy

SL Muscs Koublai Khan + Dior Homme

CDG Odeur 53. Goes with everything.

I put down a nice layer of Gucci Pour Homme to go and pick up my girl. I overlayed that with Pino Syvestre and I was all set. At this point I'm looking for poachers in my forest. I fought the urge to spritz a bit of canoe up in the air and remember not to watch it come down. I'm waiting for the 4711 to get here. Then my girl and I will tango.

As usual the Aston Martin wouldn't start so I took the 21 speed bike all downhill to meet her parents and sold the bike to her brother for spare parts. Now I have the money to bid on some M7 Fresh on ebay from a BN'r and when I get it I plan to overlay it with M7.

Default Any good tips on layering? Nice frag combinations?

I am new to layering and was wondering if any layer'erz out there have any hot tips?

Default Re: Any good tips on layering? Nice frag combinations?

CologneJunkie and I are both addicted to a delicious layering of Happy for Men by Clinique over Gaultier². The sparkling citrus notes of happy help to cut some of the sweet vanilla cloud that hangs over Gaultier2, and the sweet vanilla of the Gaultier² takes off some of the sharp citric edges of Happy. The longevity of this layering is wonderful, and the sillage near perfect.

I sometimes layer less expensive vetiver fragrances with a little bit of pure patchouli oil, as the two earthy scents do so nicely on my skin.

I also like using Kretek by Ava Luxe for layering with dark, heavily woody or coniferous frags that go well with Kretek's heavy clove note.
    An example: Atkinson's I Coloniali Aromatic Fragrance of Guajaco Wood, Gucci pour Homme etc.

I should add that I never layer terribly expensive or incredibly complex fragrances that should stand alone.
    For example, Opium pour Homme EdP is, for me, an all day experience that I don't want ANYTHING to interrupt.
    (Same with Chergui, Musc Ravageur and many others.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 9th October 2007 at 01:56 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

My favorite Creed blend is Original Vetiver with a touch of Virgin Island Water on top. Yum
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I've been testing out Clair de Musc and Mure et Musc Extreme...I found M&M Extreme to lack the musc that I love in the original...so I thought a simple combo with CdM would be nice.

I also think Eau de Merveilles has good potentional as a baselayer for something else...just haven't figure out what yet.

kiehls musk with Dolce and Gabbana pour homme...the musk cuts some of the sharpness in the other

I like Tam Dao layered with Blue Sugar (or most any vanilla for that matter). The sandalwood in Tam Dao goes so well with vanilla.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

I don't layer very often fragrances unless it happens by chance or for staying at home experimenting.
    Anyway the last weeke I happened to wear Opus 1870 in the morning: for who doesn't know this graceful roses and vetiver concoction, it has a very longlasting and pleasant vetiver basenote quite longlasting.
    Anyway, after 8 hours , I sprayed on Balenciaga Ho Hang for testing it since I found a bottle for very cheap.
    Well the result was very nice, reviving the vetiver base in opus, and giving to Ho Hang a more masculine and deep temper.

Cool, some true Apothecary's out there!!

So it sounds like a good idea to maybe pick a thicker oriental for the base and a lighter citrusy fragrance for the top notes? Not sure I have a good enough nose to create a masterpeice.... but the thought of wearing a fragrance completley unique to me would be superb!

Quote Originally Posted by r2s View Post
    Cool, some true Apothecary's out there!!

So it sounds like a good idea to maybe pick a thicker oriental for the base and a lighter citrusy fragrance for the top notes? Not sure I have a good enough nose to create a masterpeice.... but the thought of wearing a fragrance completley unique to me would be superb!
    I think as long as they're both simple scents, then you won't have too much of a disaster....fragrances that are already complex will give you the biggest obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I think as long as they're both simple scents, then you won't have too much of a disaster....fragrances that are already complex will give you the biggest obstacle.

Sounds like solid advice (TVlampboy also said a similar thing) cheers guys. Any other combinations people are feelin at the moment?

Try layering YSL Jazz with Dlish Clean Men.. Smells superb.. I have had numerous compliments from strangers when im out at night!!

Blog Entries

Indeed! The Happy + Gaultier2 layering is divine! I've found that Samhain by The Goth Rosary is a great frag for layering. I especially like layering that w/ Bvlgari Black. I've found that Perry Ellis 360 White is also a good frag for layering, due to it's simple vanilla/musk nature. I was goofing around the other day & sprayed a little Silver Mountain Water on top of the Perry Ellis, & it was great!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

After 8 years, I still don't tire of putting 5 sprays of Guerlain's 2000-Vetiver on top of 5 sprays of the 1980's-edition. It gives an earthy base with a fresh, aromatic sparkle on top - yumminess for 16 hours of pleasure. To me, a masculine Mitsouko!

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    ....fragrances that are already complex will give you the biggest obstacle.
    Not so.

Guerlain Mitsouko parfum and New York (Parfums de Nicola&#239 is one of the best combinations there is.
    Last edited by pluran; 9th October 2007 at 06:42 PM.

There are two that I have found that work rather deliciously:
    -Dior Homme layered over Quorum. The key is to apply Quorum first (2 sprays to chest) and then wait a bit. Then apply the Dior Homme. Like a pink cigarette, but masculine.

-Eau Sauvage over Bvlgari pour Homme. This one is simply fantastic. A citrus musk, perfect for warm weather. The two complement each other incredibly well. Quite honestly, one of my favorite fragrances.

A*Men + Mugler Cologne
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

My favourite layers should appear below this post. BTW it would help to know your wardrobe so we could "construct" layers out of what you own. My general principal is to get a fragrance I really love but find a bit lacking, or a bit too much, on its own, and try to compensate for what is lacking, or try to smooth out what is too much.

Eg Dior Homme is a bit soft and girly for me, even though I love it, so I try to ramp up the macho vetiver base with Guerlain, Malle or Goutal Vetiver.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    BTW it would help to know your wardrobe so we could "construct" layers out of what you own. My general principal is to get a fragrance I really love but find a bit lacking, or a bit too much, on its own, and try to compensate for what is lacking, or try to smooth out what is too much.
    Well my wardrobe is rather lacking at present

I have:

Terre D'Herme
    Obsession
    Rive Gauch
    L'Eau D'Issey
    Platinum Egoiste
    Cool Waters
    Amour PH
    Boss Soul
    Contradiction

(with Gucci PH, Guerlain Vetiver, and Bois Du Portugal on order)

I have found success layering YSL Rive Gauche over LV Vetiver in about equal doses. The LV Vetiver adds greatly to the already nice woody drydown of the Rive Gauche. You can also use EdPFM French Lover as a base to layer Rive Gauche over. You get the deep spices but the drydown seems to magnify and be much deeper.

Also discovered that Dzing is a great underlayer for almost any leather fragrance. A little dzing adds a little hard working country sweat to any mix. The leather and animalic hay notes of Dzing brings instant depth or experience to almost every other leather I've tried with it. Try Dzing + Rebellious or Dzing + Knize 10, or Dzing + Cuir Oranger, or Dzing + Cuiron. Dzing works as a finishing polish on frags because it has such a great drydown but it is a simple combination so other interesting notes usually add to . . . rather than overcomplicating. Dzing plus any other earthy leather or earthy spice scent gives a more "manned up" result. Like you've put in 8 hours work in the fields and your frag is still wafting through.

I have:

Terre D'Herme
    Obsession
    Rive Gauch
    L'Eau D'Issey
    Platinum Egoiste
    Cool Waters
    Amour PH
    Boss Soul
    Contradiction

Some layering resources can be found in the Fragrance DIY section, I posted a combo (not layering but mixing fragrances in a vial) there recently which I have to revisit tomorrow. Another way to get lots of "recipes" is to search any posting written by moondeva, she has lots of "crazy combos" in her signature.

I think layering is best done with at least one of the scent being somewhat simple, so your Gucci PH* may be the way to go to add some incense to, say, Obsession. Adding a simple scent is like adding a simple note/accord. Alternatively, layering scents that intersect very much, that are very similar, can also yield interesting results. To me this whole fragrance mixing thing is really just about sort of finetuning, so I would combine either simple/simple, simple/complex or two similar scents.

* Note: If you feel offended by me thinking that Gucci PH is a somewhat simple scent, I am very sorry.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Any good tips on layering? Nice frag combinations?

I have been enjoying an accidental 4 ml roll-on bottle mix of 1/4 Burberry London with 3/4 Havana For Men. I actually think I like it as much as the Havana by itself! The Havana is dominant but the London is definitely in the mix and at once both subdues and yet somehow enhances the opening chaos of the Havana, which in it's turn either hides or softens the Bergamot and Cinnamon edges of the London. Very nice surprise!
    Last edited by kbe; 10th October 2007 at 02:22 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I have:

Terre D'Herme
    Obsession
    Rive Gauch
    L'Eau D'Issey
    Platinum Egoiste
    Cool Waters
    Amour PH
    Boss Soul
    Contradiction

Don't sell yourself short, that's a great collection. IMHO TdH and BdP are perfection alone, so don't even think about layering them!

Obsession is so sweet and rich I think it might go nicely with Guerlain Vetiver. Gucci PH might also stiffen up the musk in Obsession.

Hmmm Rive Gauche is so unique, I've never really thought about layering it with anything. Similarly Platinum Egoiste is a powerhouse, I'd leave it alone too.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

L'eau d'Issey is transparent and soft enough to layer with something else, though.
    Hmmm -- what ARE the possibilities?

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Obsession is so sweet and rich I think it might go nicely with Guerlain Vetiver. Gucci PH might also stiffen up the musk in Obsession.
    Gucci PH and Obsession...that might just be fantastic.

This my sound bad... but Leau D'Issey Miyake (the female version) and Attitude Pour Homme is really good on my skin.

Jesus I can't believe I decided to layer the two...
    I'm so fo sho' it's no facade/ Stay out of trouble momma said as momma sighed/ For her fear her youngest son be a victim of homicide/ But I gotta get you out of here momma.. Or I'm gonna die..Inside...So either eay you lose me momma/ So let loose of me!

I can see that -- Obsession's sweetness/richness could easily complement the cedary dryness of Gucci pour Homme.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Gucci PH + Musc Ravageur is my only layering experiment that turned out well
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 10th October 2007 at 03:14 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    My favorite Creed blend is Original Vetiver with a touch of Virgin Island Water on top. Yum
    Interesting. Very interesting.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Don't sell yourself short, that's a great collection.

Ged
    Cheers Ged, I am improving it all the time so will always be a work in progress.

Yeah the Obsession and Gucci PH sounds really good to me too. Well the Gucci PH will be arriving 2moro hopefully so I will try it and let you guys know how it turns out!

I tried Cool Waters over Boss Soul last night (wasn't going out so thought I would give it a try) not a bad result, the Soul is quite sweet and mellow while the CW is that little bit lively.... not a marrige made in heaven though!

One I actually tried last night that worked well (side by side.. didn't do an actual layering) was Platinum Egoiste and Terre D'Hermes.. you have both of those so try it out!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Thumbs up Re: Any good tips on layering? Nice frag combinations?

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    One I actually tried last night that worked well (side by side.. didn't do an actual layering) was Platinum Egoiste and Terre D'Hermes.. you have both of those so try it out!
    Yeah man I will give that a try when I get home!

When you say side by side, I am not really sure what you mean?
    --------------------------------------
    Wow, tried layering Terre D'Hermes and Platinum Egoiste and it works REALLY well! Great Balance and neither overpower eachother. Good shout jrd4t!
    Last edited by r2s; 12th October 2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i did mix today guerlain vetiver and terre d´hermes in a little bottle.

I cannot say much only that it´s curious :--)
    Last edited by sanatik; 26th October 2007 at 12:16 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    i did mix today guerlain vetiver and terre dhermes in a little bottle.

I cannot say much only that its curious :--)
    Hmm curious as in "nasty" or curious as in "has potential"?

Never mix the frag in bottles.Here below see very nice combinations, but they must be sprayed on body and not one on the other, never on the same part of body :
    1)"EAU DES ILES" and "PARFUM D' HABIT" ( as per advice of the manager of the MPG boutique at Rue de Grenelle in Paris )
    2) "DIOR HOMME" and "ARPEGE POUR HOMME"
    3) "GIT" and "EROLFA"
    Try these combinations and let us know your opinion

Hmm curious as in "nasty" or curious as in "has potential"?
    I did mix to much vetiver (aroung 70 %) & i find it till now more "nasty". Will boost the terre part at next.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Default Tips when blending, mixing, or layering two fragrances

I am not one to do this but for those who have do you spray the lighter fragrance first then the heavier or the other way?

Thanks

Default Re: Tips when blending, mixing, or layering two fragrances

The ladies are the great layers around here. Try asking them, you'll get a flood of responses. I've tried everything so don't go by me. Experiment!

I've seen guys list on the SOTD posts that they would be wearing one fragrance on one side of the body and vice versa.

I really suggest for anyone to try different kind of (Montale) Aoud fragrances for layering with all sorts of scents. Supringly wicked combinations could come out.

Also, for instance, M7 & CDG`s SODA are such a fun and satisfying experience for mixing with each other. Delicious in one word.

Generally, I`m still not a great fan of layering at all, and I do it very rarely. Sometimes, only sometimes, it`s quite fun, though.

Post Re: Tips when blending, mixing, or layering two fragrances

I could never quite understand the concept of layering. A perfume maker makes a fragrance that is deemed good enough to market(sometime's debatable) than one takes that frag, and covers it with another makers offering?Am I missing some thing here?Back I gusss to each their own, for sure.If it work's for some I say go for it.Maybe I've been missing something good all these year's!

I end up combining fragrances when I'm temporarily bored of what I have. So I'll mix things that seem complimentary (for instance, 2 Ellena citruses or 2 Hermes citruses or Angel A & B Men, or two scents with vetiver as a star note, or amber or whatever). Of course these are all great on their own, and combining is certainly not a pompous way of trying to create something better, at least for me... It's just simply another way of enjoying the scents one already has in a different way.

I've also learned A GREAT DEAL from some of my existing fragrances as combining will highlight a certain note and make me see it in a different way, or will make me understand how combining certain elements can create the effects I find in other fragrances. So, it's personal and if the mood strikes, why not? By the way I spray the "heavier" fragrance on first but in the end I doubt it matters that much if they are spraid on within seconds of each other.
    Last edited by nthny; 12th December 2007 at 10:44 PM.

I don't "lay" per-se . I may apply a scent before going to bed or right after a shower. The next morning, I may spray an entirely different frag in between the previous sprays. Like to smell the differences.....

And Frederick:
    The ladies are the great layers around here.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post
    I don't "lay" per-se . I may apply a scent before going to bed or right after a shower. The next morning, I may spray an entirely different frag in between the previous sprays. Like to smell the differences.....

And Frederick:

Dan
    I thought there was something wrong with the way that came out. What the hell!

Default Layering I found quite enjoyable...

I used MI and Fuel for Life.

Sprayed Fuel for Life on the chest & adams apple.

MI on each side of the neck and a light mist over the adams apple.

Of course this was just for testing, I think more MI may be more suitable. In an odd way, the both seem to compliment each other pretty damn well. A few girls I had over noted I smelled edible, so it must have been alright. You wouldn't really want to use this combination if you aren't going to a club/bar/strip joint though as you smell like a male prostitute of sorts
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Default Re: Layering I found quite enjoyable...

I too have found that the layering of disparate scents can be interesting and enjoyable.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Default How do you layer fragrances?

Ok, I'm not talking about using aftershave, deodorant, etc to make the scent more "complete". I'm talking about combining 2 or more different fragrances to make a new unique scent. Has anyone tried that? How do you do that? Do you spray the fragrances on top of each others or next to each others?

Default Re: How do you layer fragrances?

On top of each other. Sometimes you need more sprays of one scent -

1 spritz of Erolfa
    2 spritzes of Neroli Sauvage

BTW, the above is a really nice layering combo - cuts some of the salt in Erolfa and gives NS a longer drydown.
    Last edited by adonis; 12th June 2009 at 11:10 PM.

I did try spraying fragrances on top of each others but I think they kill each others and there's no sillage at all.
    I try putting Lolita Lempicka au Masculin and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin Fraicheur next to each others to create a Lolita for summer. The combo works really nice. Fraicheur creates a icy cold effect wrapping around the sweetness of the original. However the sillage is still not what I expect.

Any ideas what Avena Patchouli layer well with ?

You can spray the stronger one just above the navel and spray the weaker one a few inches above it. I don't like doing this, however. If I can, I like to mix them together, then apply them to the skin. Sometimes, this creates nasty top notes, but since I "blow off" top notes anyway, it doesn't make much of a difference to me.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 13th June 2009 at 02:34 AM.

Sometimes I spray one frag on my skin and the other on my clothes.

Other times I spray one frag on the front and back of my neck, and the other on the sides. Then I spray one fragrance right above the inside fold of the arm, and the other one right below it on my upper forearm.

Then sometimes I spray one right on top of the other.

Hi guys!

Thanks, jasonx, for bringing this up. This is a question I've been wondering about for a while actually. When you spray one fragrance on top of the other, does it make a difference which one you spray first? Is there a rule of thumb, like you should spray the heavier one first, or spray the one you want to be dominant second? Also, do you let the first one dry before applying the second?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: How do you layer fragrances?

One of my favorite layering techniques is with Encre Noire where I use two sprays of Encre Noire and one of Ambre Gris. The Ambre Gris adds the demension of slightly fruity gourmand to the dry woods of Encre Noire.

I just put them together in an atomiser, easiest for me and also the easiest if you want to put in more of one frag.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/