Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Layering Frags

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Layering Frags

Just tried mixing Tobacco Vanille + Gucci Pour Homme II. Pretty awesome stuff!! Smoky Vanilla Tea~

Default Re: Best Layering Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
    I've been having some decent luck in the past two weeks playing around with layering some different fragrances, so I was curious to know other members layering "finds," whether planned, expected, or unexpected.

Bond no. 9 New Haarlem is a good one to layer and I've had a lot that work well with it. Monsieur Balmain (or anything with a sharp lemon or citrus note) changes the dynamic considerably, as does something very floral like Marc Jacobs Blush (with lots of Jasmine).

The surprise today was Knize Ten and Floris Seringa. Both are dry and powdery, but the Seringa is fresh, green, and crisp and mellows out the sometimes harsh dry, leatheriness of Knize. I've layered Knize with Coriolan de Guerlain in the past as well and it has also been quite nice.

Anybody have any other strange combinations that ended up working out?

Hello, everyone.

I am a new member and just learning how to post. I have always loved fragrances, but had no idea that others felt the same way as me, aside from the possible dishonesty of paid endorsements. To stay on topic, is "layering" exactly what it's entitled? Does one apply a frag and then another on top of it? I assume this to be different than "mixing." Do any of you mix the scents or is that not done? I am going to arrange my account and learn the ways of the forum. Thank you.

The past week I've layered The Dreamer with either Corduroy or Quorum. Tobacco, leather and wood.

Euphoria For Men and Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme I've also layered for warm, spicy and longlasting scent.

Today I got two new bottles, Armani Code and Euphoria Intense For Men...First bottle reminds me so much of tasteless chewing gum (arabicum) or even window cleaner, and CK smells of strawberries... Don't chew gum so much I'd layer these
    Last edited by Pulse; 2nd January 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Default Re: How do you layer fragrances?

Never tried layering. What's the "done" way to do it? Directly on top of each other? different sides? Wouldn't mind trying it out, but i'm not quite sure how it's done!

Basenotes Plus

For layering i've tried both layering on top of each other and mixing them in to vials. Usually if the two scents are really strong i put into an atomizer because i don't want to overlay myself with too much. Otherwise i spray the stronger or more warm / heavier smell on first, and then the lighter one on top. when layering with one on top of the other i usually do 2 to the neck, one each, and if i'm going out and need more then i do two on the wrist, one each. hope that helps somebody!

- - - Updated - - -

For layering i've tried both layering on top of each other and mixing them in to vials. Usually if the two scents are really strong i put into an atomizer because i don't want to overlay myself with too much. Otherwise i spray the stronger or more warm / heavier smell on first, and then the lighter one on top. when layering with one on top of the other i usually do 2 to the neck, one each, and if i'm going out and need more then i do two on the wrist, one each. hope that helps somebody!

I'm new to this so I don't "know" much but I like the idea of layering by applying the different fragrances in seperate locations and letting the two scents mix in the air. That way, to my mind at least, each scent gets to smell the way it was intended. If you mix them you are altering them chemically and may well kill off the best of both.
    The most recent experiment that I tried was wearing Midnight Poison and Black Orchid at the same time. I find them to be variations on a similar theme and I thought they went well together. I sprayed one on each wrist and the other on my neck. Not better or worse than either alone, just an experiment.

LIDGE and 2 Man gives a smokier, dryer rendition of LIDGE.

Brut is clean smelling (boooring tho!), Paco Rabanne Pour Homme smells like this, with some dirty elements added (tobacco, leather and wood), and I detect this clean smell in Le Male after 30-60 minutes or so....so, layering with Brut is safe.

Something that is similar to Le Male:
    Brut (or Paco Rabanne Pour Homme) + Rochas Man + Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme + Armani Code For Men

The next Paco Rabanne Pour Homme could be Brut + Corduroy, simple as that.
    Last edited by Pulse; 9th January 2013 at 09:30 AM.

Accidental discovery today: I'm wearing Dirty English by Juicy Couture but I'd been getting a waft of something else that was mixing with the DE beautifully creating a really nice overall effect. That's when I remembered I'd sprayed Opium pour Homme on my jacket sleeve the previous day. Together they are fabulous - a warmer, spicier, slightly sweeter Dirty English! What could be finer!?
    Smelling good on a budget!

Intense Cafe+Black Aoud 2:1 nice stuff.

Tuscan Leather+Loewe 7 Natural 1:2
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

A sales assistant in Neiman Marcus layered Virgin Island Water and Original Santal on my wrist and that smelt amazing.

YSL la nuit and natuica voyage on accident. Smell tickles my spidey senses. Smells feminine but for some reason so attractive

Tried layering montale full incense with Amber Sultan yesterday, not recommended

Tried Jardin du Počte with l'Eau d'Issey, due to their bitter citrus notes. Issey was one of my first 'serious' fragrance purchases. Adding it to the exquisite Jardin actually created a jarring, harsher effect, and helped me realized that perhaps I had moved beyond the initial phase of olfactory ed.

Thank you BaseNoters. And so goes my hundredth post!
    Last edited by Picassoutine; 10th April 2013 at 07:31 PM.
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

Jean Klein

Anyone layered Portrait of a Lady with a vanilla?

My scarf stank of Dries van Noten, and I was wearing Portrait, seemed to be a good mix. Anyone tried it? If not ill layer SDV and Portrait and report back!

Is this a poor attempt at being perfumers ...I guessed certain combos my enhance or decrease intensity vise versa for the best if you know the right combo and then it might work well in somebody's skin chemistry and work terribly in the other....go figure ...only one I can batch for is TL with TV
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Is this a poor attempt at being perfumers ...I guessed certain combos my enhance or decrease intensity vise versa for the best if you know the right combo and then it might work well in somebody's skin chemistry and work terribly in the other....go figure ...only one I can batch for is TL with TV
    I don't think it's an attempt at being a perfumer at all. It's simply combining two fragrances that you enjoy to produce something different.

Would you rather we just bought all the ingredients in the perfumes we would like to combine and make our own fragrances?

I tried putting some CdG Ouarzazate with Dior Gris Montaigne. It was pretty awful. Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande might have been a better choice.

[QUOTE=HAllen;2997178]I don't think it's an attempt at being a perfumer at all. It's simply combining two fragrances that you enjoy to produce something different.

/QUOTE]

Agree.

In some parts of the world combining different, fairly simple, fragrances on skin is quite a common practice.

As an example, I have 'Ancient Resins' by Aftelier , which is an oil-based fragrance with frankincense (amongst other things) and it certainly gives a 'lift' to some other things that might otherwise not be worn very often.
    Last edited by lpp; 19th November 2013 at 06:12 PM.