Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a specific sort of Date Night scent recommendation

I'm a man in my 30s. I'm looking for a date-night scent - not a clubbing scent. I'd like something somewhat subtle, masculine but friendly, inviting, maybe a bit mysterious (or not?) and confidently sexy. I'm specifically thinking of a moment: the hug at the end of a date. Let's say I'm on a date where we met for drinks and had a marvelous time. I walk her back to her car and give her a hug as we say goodnight. Assuming of course that we clicked and she's already interested in seeing me again, I like the idea of a scent that might leave her with a sexy/yum sort of thought.

- Preference for affordable! I wish I could say I'm not on a budget, but money is tight right now.
    - Can this work as a summer evening scent? It doesn't really get hot where I live.
    - Can this also be a versatile scent? I work from home, so it's not like I have to worry about an office scent.
    - Am I hoping for too much? ...possibly... but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks!!!

I've had some good luck wearing la nuit on dates and evenings out. I personally do not enjoy the scent all that much, but I do enjoy the reaction I receive from women. Many compliments from women ages 25-40.

Default Re: Looking for a specific sort of Date Night scent recommendation

I'd say this depends quite a lot on the kind of women you date, especially whether or not they are sophisticated about fragrances. Most younger women seem to like newer, lighter scents that are currently popular: Aventus (huge hit), Acqua di Gio, Bleu de Chanel, Platinum Egoiste, YSL L'Homme, etc. More sophisticated women often like something more distinctive, unusual, or daring, like Back to Black.

A few choices in the middle: I think Rive Gauche makes a great summer evening scent; Cartier Declaration is one I like more and more--- very modern and distinctive; I have found Tom Ford Men appeals to a lot of women, less daring than some but very versatile.

In the context you suggest, you have already made a good impression and want to leave something with your date as part of her memory of the evening. In that case, you probably want something not widely worn in her circle so she would associate the fragrance only with you. The "middle" choices above should work in most contexts as they are not available at drugstores or ordinary department stores.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 3rd June 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Perhaps Carbone de Balmain

I'm starting to wonder about something like L'Occitane Eau des Baux. I smelled it yesterday and wondered if it had too much incense for me... but I just smelled it a moment ago on the shirt I wore, and... wow. I really like it. I also have a sample of Allure Homme Sport and am enjoying that.

I don't date many women who are into fragrances other than enjoying when they smell something nice. I find that many of the women I've dated have worked for nonprofits or are self employed, which tends to mean they're professional yet casual and perhaps a bit thrifty by necessity, but I mean that in a good way. I don't date many women in the corporate world, and I'm not a club or party guy. I'm more of an intimate yet relaxed guy. I prefer an evening of red wine or sampling dark microbrews rather than mixed drinks and trendy hotspots. I suppose what I really should be looking for is a potential signature scent.

Have you tried Bulgari Black?

Go for Comme Une Evidence Homme from Yves Rocher and you and your date won't be disappointed!
    A light, very well blended and sexy smelling woody/spicy scent that is not too expensive. Also, not everybody owns this fragrance! It's masculine and not sweet!
    Perfect for cosy evenings out but also usable for office or even daily wear as its inoffensive.

If you want it louder (and sweeter) go for the more well known Body Kouros or Rochas Man as almost every girl likes these but they are also very well known.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Louder is definitely not what I'm looking for. I love the idea of subtle but sensual.

Banned

Try:

He Wood Rocky Mountain by Dsquared2 - In the enchanting opening, one is treated to a cloud of white pepper, carrying a lovely, cool violet and refreshing, creamy lily. A strong heart with its brawny duet of cedarwood and vetiver makes one sense a wet forest, and carries off the floral accord to join its soothing base. Seguing to that drydown, a melange of warm amber, smoky incense and sensual musk overlay the woody and floral accords. This floral, incense and woody fragrance is one of the best outdoors scents, and is a very versatile fragrance. Wonderfully, the longevity and projection are both excellent.

&

Wonderwood by Comme des Garcons - Welcome to the wide world of woods! The interesting opening is a dank, forest tree scent, supplied by the melange of warm sandalwood, hints of zesty bergamot and anise-like, caraway seeds, earthy vetiver and creamy guaic wood. This impressive concoction is reminescent of a felled tree in a rain forest, with the attendant damp and green environs. Transitioning to the waiting middle, spicy pepper, ghosts of apple, plum and floral fruitiness from the cristalin, musky powder from the cashmeran, and savory incense enhance the woody brew. The awesome drydown with its rich cedar and enchanting agarwood tug at this lively heart, and is augmented by a charming patchouli, faintly bathing the cedar and oud in an air of mustiness, and a refreshing, dry cypress, with its hint of spiciness, exalting the pleasing, woody base. This high quality and exceptional composition has good projection, after some 4 hours becoming a skin scent, and excellent longevity.

&

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent - Initially, one is treated to a brisk melange of bergamot, with its tart, citric dimension, rosemary, with its cooling, camphoraceous slant, and star anise, with its smoky licorice. This burst of freshness is fleeting, and the refreshing opening transitions rather quickly to the waiting middle. Here, in the herbal heart, a mixture of clean lavender imparts its soapiness, invigorating clove provides a slight smokiness, and crisp, geranium leaf bestows its lemony greeness. This barbershoppy concoction meanders to the awaiting base. A robust medley of earthy and musty patchouli, lemongrass-like greeness and clumped dirt from vetiver, as well as waxy and faintly smoky guiacwood commingle to present a sensual and somewhat dark drydown. This masculine composition has average projection, basically a skin-scent, and good longevity, 7-10 hours. Conjuring an illusion of shaving cream, this wonderfully original and unique scent should be had!
    Buy only the tin/aluminum can.

dollars&scents, thanks for the tip. Why only buy the tin/aluminum can? What's the difference? I've had Rive Gauche on my list of scents to try for a while now. I wonder where I can find that one.

Something woody and sort of spicy is nice. Maybe Loewe pour Homme or Noble Vetiver.

for swap/sale:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swix View Post
    dollars&scents, thanks for the tip. Why only buy the tin/aluminum can? What's the difference? I've had Rive Gauche on my list of scents to try for a while now. I wonder where I can find that one.
    There is a new re-formulation in a glass bottle, I believe. Needless to say, the original formulation cannot be duplicated. See this thread for more opinions on the vintage, aluminum can versus the new, more expensive, bottled one: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/294...che-is-perfect

Check out Penhaligon's Endymion.

Burberry London.

Sexy/Yum is what you're looking for huh???

I will suggest:

Dior Homme
    Rochas Man
    YSL L'Homme (The most versatile outta the bunch)

These 3 can be found very easy.

YSL L'Homme is popular, versatile, readily available and modestly priced.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

What most women like in a scent continues to amaze and surprise me. By far, of all the positive comments I've heard, most would be about Acqua di Gio. I don't much like aquatics but I can't deny that they're very very popular.

Bottom line - wear what makes you feel good and confident and if you're lucky, your date will come to associate that scent with those qualities about you.

Or wear Acqua di Gio!

I'm not a big fan of aquatics either and it's important to me that I enjoy what I'm wearing. That being said, go with what your gut is telling you... Eau des Baux.

Banned

Body Kouros.