Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Store testing etiquette

'Good for you'??? Wow. I would have to complain to her supervisor for that probably. And ask for 10 samples as compensation, at least 10. And I would never buy anything there, ever. I mean, unless they gave me a complementary bottle for being so lame. Maybe I still wouldn't be back after that! Lol!.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Never experienced this sort of problem. For instance, I was in Ulta tonight for probably an hour with my girlfriend testing many different fragrances. I even had a pen to initial the test strips so I could remember what I liked afterward, too. And even from the onset coming into the store, I received one greeting and asked if I needed any assistance and I said, "No, thank you. I'm just looking." Afterwards, I didn't feel as if any of the store associates were growing tired of my semi-long stay, either - no lingering or "the look" from SAs.

In the end, I spent over two hundred dollars on fragrances in their store so I'm sure they sensed then that I was giving serioius consideration to the scents rather than merely being there to waste time. Moreover, a month beforehand I had been in Ulta for nearly half an hour and didn't make a purchase but sampled five or so fragrances and didn't get any unpleasant feelings from the SAs when I had left without buying anything.

If you have a Sephora near you, I highly recommend checking them out. I can't believe how friendly the sales people are there. They kind of remind me of the Apple Store. I get the feeling they don't care if I buy anything or not... in other words, I feel zero sales pressure there. They just seem to like what they do and they're happy to help. So, if you're friendly and open to suggestion, Sephora is the way to go.

Was it Holt Renfrew?
    Currently lawyering and DJing in Tokyo. Still obsessed with smelling good

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real, unbiased data on fragrance potency! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FPindex

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by swix View Post
    If you have a Sephora near you, I highly recommend checking them out. I can't believe how friendly the sales people are there. They kind of remind me of the Apple Store. I get the feeling they don't care if I buy anything or not... in other words, I feel zero sales pressure there. They just seem to like what they do and they're happy to help. So, if you're friendly and open to suggestion, Sephora is the way to go.
    Sephora is great! one near where I live - they dont pay attention to guys.

Wear your ipod next time, and ignore them.

i live in california and the sales associates out here are the worst...

Banned

Default Re: Store testing ettiquette

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Sorry you encountered this attitude from what was clearly a poorly trained SA. Her comment in your presence to the other SA was beyond rude. I'm afraid I would be having a conversation with her supervisor after that.
    I always do that. It's their job to make a good assistence.

Quote Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
    Sephora is great! one near where I live - they dont pay attention to guys.
    Some times the guys pay attention to guys. I walked out of there one time with about 15 samples and custom blends that this guy made me. i was flattered.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Blog Entries

In SEPHORA they will leave you alone, you may as well be in a supermarket. You examine, you choose, you go and pay.

In the CARON Boutique, in New York City, there is a lady who will take a personal interest and will aim to find a perfume for you, or better said, you "play" with samples and have a pleasant experience. A true perfume experience. And I walk out surrounded with a cloud of that perfume we tested. Now I am hard pressed ... should I order that very perfume on line? Often, they have very good and authentic CARON offers on FragranceNet and FragranceX. Oh dear! The nice sales girl will not know, but I know. And, in the future, when I need a perfume fix, I mean a good conversation, how can I go back and never buy there? So, I have not been back yet.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Ursula, depends on the branch of Sephora, or perhaps the geographic area.

Over here in this country they'll literally swarm you. Each SA representing his or her brand, all cackling at the same time.

I think its a military tactic. Overwhelm you till you buy something then move on to the next prey lol.
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

I have never had any luck testing at stores where I am at. Therefore I have ordered samples and bought bottles directly online.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    I have never had any luck testing at stores where I am at. Therefore I have ordered samples and bought bottles directly online.
    I agree. I've made so many bad purchasing decisions based on testing in store. It's very difficult to properly assess a fragrance in that environment. There is no substitute for full wear testing. Usually, if I sniff something that seems interesting in a store, I'll get a sample if possible and wear it later under normal conditions. Nordstrom and Saks are great this way - they'll happily make samples. Well, at Saks they do it if they think you'll buy. Sephora as well, of course, but the range is pretty limited there.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Sephora as well, of course, but the range is pretty limited there.
    That's definitely the drawback.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

What a HORRIBLE attitude. Unfortunately I think this demeanour is what commissioned based sales can sometimes encourage? I've worked in sales and retail on and off for 19 years and have seen colleagues throw away potential customers like this time and again. Had she but realised what an ivestment OP was for her, I'm sure she would have spent a lot more time and energy cultivating them and earning their trust, as a good SA will always do.

I had a guy in London, who worked on the beauty counter in a big dept store and he would always shower me with samples, remember my likes/dislikes/needs and have a chat. Even stopping me if I was going right by him to another dept. I spent a fortune with that guy, often buying more than I had expected to! Sadly, I don't see that as much in dept store fragrance counters, where the experience is often far less consultative. I much prefer my experience in little independent places, tucked away, wherein you can often find the most knowledgable and friendly SA's who can take the time to build a relationship with you.

As mentioned the internet offers alternative avenues too, with many perfumers and houses offering sampling programmes.

Blog Entries

It is really the personal touch that counts. There is so much competition. Thousands of new releases constantly. So, it behooves the perfumer to make it personal. Andy Tauer includes a little card, with the words, "Enjoy".

I am digressing from the original topic, of the experience in a store. First of all, inside the store, the air is already infumigated with fragrance, so how can I possibly sniff true notes rendered either on paper or on my skin? A sample, to test for many hours, is the only way to go.

So, the perfume houses who make a nice coffret with 6 or more samples, do themselves a favor.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I couldn't agree more - I always have to take home and try before I buy. The temperature changes of going in and out, the scented air (as you say Ursula) the way a fragrance develops and reacts with your own smell, the longevity, the possibility of a skin reaction... so many variables that cannot be answered by sniffing ten cardboard cards in a five minute period. Most smaller concerns, such as Yosh Han, Ormonde Jayne and Ineke have got such a great sampling system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    In SEPHORA they will leave you alone, you may as well be in a supermarket. You examine, you choose, you go and pay.

In the CARON Boutique, in New York City, there is a lady who will take a personal interest and will aim to find a perfume for you, or better said, you "play" with samples and have a pleasant experience. A true perfume experience. And I walk out surrounded with a cloud of that perfume we tested. Now I am hard pressed ... should I order that very perfume on line? Often, they have very good and authentic CARON offers on FragranceNet and FragranceX. Oh dear! The nice sales girl will not know, but I know. And, in the future, when I need a perfume fix, I mean a good conversation, how can I go back and never buy there? So, I have not been back yet.

You do Know that sephora's SA are paid hourly/salary and not on commission= there's your answer! They have great SA but there always a bad apple in the bunch regardless if they're working via salary or commission or hourly.....Cheerios
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "